PDA

View Full Version : Dance with a ...?

Graham W
10th-March-2006, 03:28 PM
What do people think should happen if someone ends up with there competition partner in another category in the DWAS category, ...

my personal view is that unless the rules state otherwise it doesnt matter and I am not implying anything just putting it up for discussion as there were some interesting comments on the lesser forum elsewhere...

G

ducasi
10th-March-2006, 03:36 PM
Where the competition is called "Dance with a Stranger", then it should probably be a stranger.

If it's called "Lucky Dip" or "Take A Chance", then, well there's a chance you may get lucky... :)

LMC
10th-March-2006, 03:36 PM
I've always thought "Lucky Dip" would be a better description than DWAS - and if someone gets lucky and gets their regular partner, then more power to them! - DWAS comps should just be a bit of fun after all.

Tiggerbabe
10th-March-2006, 03:40 PM
I like calling it the Lucky Dip - and yeah, if you end up with someone you know (or have danced a lot with) that's lucky. It's definitely a fun competition and should be treated as such.

Angelina
10th-March-2006, 03:44 PM
We prefer to call our competition Take A Chance, and that way each person entering takes a chance as to who they end up with!

Its all about taking chances!!

Angelina

Chance 2 Dance

Lory
10th-March-2006, 03:48 PM
It happened to Groovy Dancer (and his 'then' partner) last year at the Marked Ball and they won.:respect:

It was just sheer good luck! ;) And a bit of fun! :na:

David Franklin
10th-March-2006, 03:49 PM
Where the competition is called "Dance with a Stranger", then it should probably be a stranger.Well, Bryony said it'd be OK if she drew me - as they don't come much stranger than me anyhow... {rimshot}!

The problem is where do you draw the line? Ex dance partner? Husband/wife you don't compete with? Local teacher?

If it's called "Lucky Dip" or "Take A Chance", then, well there's a chance you may get lucky... :)Similar distinction in the US - "Luck of the Draw" means you dance with who your drawn against - no exceptions. In "Jack and Jill" you might be prevented from dancing with your regular partner. But in practice it's very hard to enforce by anything other than "gentleman's agreements", and often people don't bother. (i.e. even if you said "I can't dance with her, she's my wife!", no-one would listen...)

Dreadful Scathe
10th-March-2006, 03:54 PM
It happened to Groovy Dancer (and his 'then' partner) last year at the Marked Ball and they won.:respect:

And this year with Steve Lampert who came in third, thats why its called 'Take a Chance' :) Sometimes you're lucky, sometimes not but theres no reason why you should try to get your partner changed that I can see.

CJ
10th-March-2006, 03:55 PM
And this year with Steve Lampert who came in third, thats why its called 'Take a Chance' :) Sometimes you're lucky, sometimes not but theres no reason why you should try to get your partner changed that I can see.

Unless you end up with Tramp?!?:D

(I thought Kathy took the bad news rather well!!!! :rofl:)

Dreadful Scathe
10th-March-2006, 04:09 PM
Unless you end up with Tramp?!?:D

(I thought Kathy took the bad news rather well!!!! :rofl:)

I suppose having to dance with him twice is a bit much ;)

pjay
10th-March-2006, 11:50 PM
I've seen people do it both ways, but agree on the whole lucky dip thing... if you get lucky and draw someone you know well, then go for it!

I once had my partner changed because we knew each other well (her brother is married to my sister)... I really don't think it would have changed anything... although in saying that I did get swapped over to Nicky from CMJ in Sydney (I don't know anyone who'd complain about that).

Dreadful Scathe
11th-March-2006, 12:38 AM
I've seen people do it both ways, but agree on the whole lucky dip thing... if you get lucky and draw someone you know well, then go for it!

I once had my partner changed because we knew each other well (her brother is married to my sister)... I really don't think it would have changed anything... although in saying that I did get swapped over to Nicky from CMJ in Sydney (I don't know anyone who'd complain about that).
thats worse, because of a dubious relationship you tried to upgrade to a better partner, and it paid off....say it isnt so, you cheat! ;)

pjay
11th-March-2006, 02:45 PM
thats worse, because of a dubious relationship you tried to upgrade to a better partner, and it paid off....say it isnt so, you cheat! ;)

I didn't try... The person running the comp new this and decided that it was wrong for us... I didn't put any effort into it at all (besides, I didn't say anything about trying to upgrade, simply that I wasn't complaining about being paired with Nicky...)

Anita
12th-March-2006, 11:40 AM

It was just sheer good luck! ;) And a bit of fun! :na:

I have to say that I was embarrassed about get my own 'then' current partner. So I did give the prize back after the comp and it went to charity. I feel that, if your partner is in agreement, its nice to offer to swap them for someone else. I got far more satisfaction getting 4th this year with PretzelMeister at Blackpool because that was a true DWAS :flower:

frodo
12th-March-2006, 03:28 PM
What do people think should happen if someone ends up with there competition partner in another category in the DWAS category, ...

For a major competition it does seem strange the organisers would let it happen.

Given ( I assume ) they have the names of the DWAS entrants, and the names of people and their partners who've entered in other categories, it should be a simple matter not to match them, and easy enough to extend that back to the last 2 or 3 years.

Another slightly more difficult but still reasonable step that organisers (of a major competition for which people travel long distances) is to avoid matches by region (apart from competition partners this also helps the stranger bit, and reduces the advantage of having learnt at the same location).

If partners they still get matched that's luck, but its still worth reducing the chances.

Dreadful Scathe
12th-March-2006, 05:05 PM
If partners they still get matched that's luck, but its still worth reducing the chances.

That would be the 'Take a Chance with restrictions' catagory then :) Why not have a brunettes only catagory while we're at it - thats easier to manage ;)

Graham W
12th-March-2006, 06:00 PM
We prefer to call our competition Take A Chance, and that way each person entering takes a chance as to who they end up with!

Its all about taking chances!!

Angelina

Chance 2 Dance

That's a good answer, :-)

Tiggerbabe
12th-March-2006, 06:14 PM
Why not have a brunettes only catagory while we're at it - thats easier to manage ;)
Yeah, but would it be "natural" brunettes or would those who've had some bottled help get to enter too :innocent: