PDA

View Full Version : Amir's Thigh Brushing Tip has improved my connection and balance!

under par
9th-March-2006, 01:04 PM
Some Tips for Looking More Refined on the Dance Floor

If your hand is on your partners back (in a close embrace, for example) close your fingers so they are touching. Spread fingers look messy and look like you are going for a grope, and they are more likely to uncomfortably dig into your partners back.

Keep your chin up. You can still look down with your eyes, but tilting your whole head down is no good for your posture or your image!

If you are much taller than your partner, adjust your arms so they are comfortable for them, but don’t compromise your posture!

Keep your spare arm above your waist line. You don’t have to do anything special with it, but a dangling arm can look uncontrolled and careless.

Brush your thighs together between steps. Not a rigid rule, but try to avoid the wet knickers look, unless you’ve got wet knickers, in which case you should probably stop dancing until they dry.

I recieved the above helpful tips in an E-mail from Amir before I went to Storm.

I took a particular interest in the first and the last tips during Storm not that I feel I am fully conversant with the other tips just yet.

It was easy enough to close / cup my fingers to make them look more refined.

BUT the revelation to me was the Brushing Of The THIGHS!

I first tried it out at home whilst walking through a few steps.

Next I watched some male dancers who I enjoy to watch on the Friday at Storm (Paul F, KevF, Franck to name a few).

Then I attempted to use it in my dancing.

I have previously had difficulties with connection and balance between my partner and myself because I, being very tall, was used to stepping big steps its just natural take too bigger steps and I do so whilst dancing too.

When I tried this brush your thighs between steps I immediately noticed 2 things
1. I took vastly smaller steps.
2. My feet spent more time on the floor and I began sliding /scuffing my soles on the floor.

As I practiced this more I found that
1. My connection improved.
2. My instant reaction to smaller steps was to rein in my arms, so I didn,t let my partner move as far away from me. Thus my followers balance was better.

A small downside was as I concentrated on thigh brushing, footwork, connection and balance more my repertoire of moves dropped to a minimum.
I am sure in due course this will change once it becomes more second nature.

Feedback. I spoke to several forumites about what I was doing/trying to acheive and got very favourable feedback on my frame connection incorporating this new aspect of my dancing.

I have never done any West Coast Swing but I do like the look of it done well..... and one of the "feels" I got from dancing with this "brush the thigh method" was I had moved closer to the look of West Coast in as much as I felt my footwork was much much neater and my connection improved.

I offer my thoughts up for discussion and for others to try if they wish.

My thanks go out to Amir for putting the thoughts together and sending them out in his e-mail. :respect:

Others have told me about this "difficulty " I have had with my dancing but this message arrived at the right time and in a form I felt I could work with.

LMC
9th-March-2006, 01:15 PM
Hooray, I beat DJ to this thread :clap:

Tango, UP, tango. My connection has improved no end from trying to put into practice the tango 'bring heels together between steps' - inevitably that brings your thighs together - and 'keep the contact with the floor' i.e. even the foot with no weight on it should skim the floor.

If you have a good teacher locally, highly recommended for improving your dancing generally, even if you don't want to learn AT for itself :nice:

Zebra Woman
9th-March-2006, 01:16 PM
It sure has!:clap:

In 8 years of dancing, I think that is the biggest leap of improvement in a leader I have ever experienced as a follower.

You were wonderful before UP, but now you are now consistently totally awesome.:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

I still cannot understand how it has happened, but your arms are so much tidier and you connection is so much more present and constant. Yum yum :drool:

Somebody stop me :blush:

ZW

Tessalicious
9th-March-2006, 01:17 PM
'bring heels together between steps' - inevitably that brings your thighs together And just a tip - don't attempt to prove this wrong whilst standing in a busy office, even if every does look engrossed in their computer screen - someone might turn round :blush: .

Donna
9th-March-2006, 01:26 PM
As my ballroom teacher says, very important to brush the ankles as this will make every step look picture perfect!

He made me laugh once by doing an impression of how some guys dance with their legs wide apart!! Can you imagine them walking down the street like that! You'd think the poor s od! :rofl: But then he did point out that some women do it also and that it doesn't look too good when wearing a skirt!!!

Also, ladies when being put into a drop, very important to keep the knees tightly together!! Even if you're not wearing a skirt! Feels odd at first and harder than it sounds but you get used to it eventually. It's about creating tidy lines all the time when dancing!

Lynn
9th-March-2006, 02:08 PM
To echo LMC I was thinking 'tango' too.

And just a tip - don't attempt to prove this wrong whilst standing in a busy office, even if every does look engrossed in their computer screen - someone might turn round :blush: .:rofl: Ah, the advantages of having your own office! (And a hall upstairs if I really feel I need space!)

MartinHarper
9th-March-2006, 02:20 PM
He made me laugh once by doing an impression of how some guys dance with their legs wide apart!! Can you imagine them walking down the street like that!

I can't say I've seen many guys walking down the street while brushing their thighs and ankles together on each step.

Donna
9th-March-2006, 02:24 PM
I can't say I've seen many guys walking down the street while brushing their thighs and ankles together on each step.

Exactly! But they do walk with their ankles closer together than they do when dancing! I've seen one who dances like he just got off his horse!:rofl:

LMC
9th-March-2006, 03:17 PM
It's just not elegant.

One of my favourite leads recently said to me that dancing with a follower who doesn't keep their feet together is like trying to lead two people - and I guess not in a "double trouble" kind of way!

Donna
9th-March-2006, 03:27 PM
It's just not elegant.

One of my favourite leads recently said to me that dancing with a follower who doesn't keep their feet together is like trying to lead two people - and I guess not in a "double trouble" kind of way!

I can imagine! At least if you keep your feet together they can feel exactly where you weight is and leading shouldn't have to be hard.

robd
10th-March-2006, 11:34 AM
Amir's emails are very amusing aren't they? Funnily enough when i read the one about being much taller than your partner I thought immediately of Under par:blush:

Every time I have been at one of Amir's classes (admittedly I could count the occasions on one hand and still have spare fingers) he has stressed the need to bring the feet together on every step and it does make a difference when I can remember to do it.

Robert

Donna
10th-March-2006, 11:50 AM
Well rob, you know what to do if you do struggle keeping your legs together! Tie some rope around the tops of you legs!!!:rofl: Should do the trick!

Msfab
10th-March-2006, 12:52 PM
Something that was mentioned at Cat and Lee's west coast swing class the other night about open legs was to keep one foot slightly in front or behind the other foot, that way reducing the light passing between the legs. This is especially helpful if one has bowed legs.

killingtime
10th-March-2006, 01:00 PM
Amir's emails are very amusing aren't they? Funnily enough when i read the one about being much taller than your partner I thought immediately of Under par:blush:

Does Amir post tips somewhere? I'd be interested in reading them if so. He's a wonderful teacher :worthy: :worthy:.

Tiggerbabe
10th-March-2006, 02:08 PM
He's a wonderful teacher :worthy: :worthy:.
Beach Ballroom in June, anyone? :whistle: :clap:

under par
10th-March-2006, 02:13 PM
Does Amir post tips somewhere? I'd be interested in reading them if so. He's a wonderful teacher :worthy: :worthy:.

Get on his mailing list here..

amir@jango.co.uk

www.fusiondance.co.uk

U.P.

Sparkles
10th-March-2006, 02:21 PM
I'm just dying to experience the new UP with his touching thighs... :drool:
- where can we next dance? :flower:

under par
10th-March-2006, 02:24 PM

Nothing planned for a while with Mrs Pars sore shoulder!:tears: :tears: :tears:

but I look forward to it.:hug:

Zebra Woman
10th-March-2006, 02:29 PM

Sarah. Don't forget you're always welcome to experience my touching thighs while you're waiting for Paul....

ZW:devil:

Sparkles
10th-March-2006, 02:37 PM
Sarah. Don't forget you're always welcome to experience my touching thighs while you're waiting for Paul....

ZW:devil:
:drool: :drool:
you and me, Babe, any time. :love: :wink:

afterthought: do you think we should sell tickets? :devil:

under par
10th-March-2006, 02:40 PM
:drool: :drool:
you and me, Babe, any time. :love: :wink:

Can You send me the video PLEASE!:drool: