PDA

View Full Version : Too old to dance?!

Donna
8th-March-2006, 03:58 PM
I'm sure a lot of cerocers out there are so obsessed by dancing that they would like to take it further by trying other styles, but do you believe that the chances of becoming professional is small after hitting 21?

I heard one girl in her 20's had never danced before. She was a kick boxer but made it as a professional dancer and won loads of ballroom and latin comps.

I know after you hit 30 the chances of getting to that stage would be rather difficult as that's when the body starts to change, but look at these dancers on Strictly Come Dancing. Jill Halfpenny for e.g I'm sure would blend in with pros no?

Obviously, doing it from a young age would make it a hell of a lot easier, but what do you lot think?? Do you know of anyone maybe who started at a late age who has been very successful?

Donna
8th-March-2006, 04:53 PM
Well....36 people viewed so far, and not one comment!

Ghost
8th-March-2006, 05:01 PM
:wink: I tend to view the matial arts as a form of dance. It's hard to watch footage of Morihei Ueshiba and not see a kind of waltz. There's no two ways about it, the old guys can run effortless circles around the rest of us :worthy: .

There was a silver haired gentleman doing Blues at the last Greenwich Christmas Ball with some seriously stylish moves. :worthy:

So no. If anything I'm looking forward to being old and being able to dance !

Dance in beauty,
Christopher

TiggsTours
8th-March-2006, 05:16 PM
Patrick Swayze was 34 when he appeared in Dirty Dancing, he hasn't done to badly out of it! OK, so he did work as a professional dancer before, and his mother was a choreographer, but that was his first major break.

Dizzy
8th-March-2006, 06:09 PM
I do know of a middle-aged friend who took up ballroom dancing a few years ago and has gone on to win all sorts of competitions since :worthy:. She is not a professional dancer though.

It can be done.

Donna
8th-March-2006, 06:31 PM
Patrick Swayze was 34 when he appeared in Dirty Dancing, he hasn't done to badly out of it! OK, so he did work as a professional dancer before, and his mother was a choreographer, but that was his first major break.

He is just such a HOT dancer! He's been dancing for years though. Wish I would have taken it up when I was a lot younger. Even though I have been dancing for 10 years, I think I started with the wrong thing....blummin linedancing! Suppose it's good to be able to dance something on your own, but wish I'd have done the whole ballroom and ballet thing when I was younger!

Tiggerbabe
8th-March-2006, 06:36 PM
blummin linedancing!
Sorry Donna, but as much as line-dancing (and it's not so much the dancing but the music) is not my thing - all of the people up here, both male and female, who line-dance as well as ceroc are amazing dancers. :worthy:

Russell Saxby
8th-March-2006, 06:49 PM

35 this year, and I don't think I have peaked quite yet...

Donna
8th-March-2006, 06:53 PM
Sorry Donna, but as much as line-dancing (and it's not so much the dancing but the music) is not my thing - all of the people up here, both male and female, who line-dance as well as ceroc are amazing dancers. :worthy:

I think anyone who is capable of dancing on their own make good dancers. And besides, we DON'T i repeat DON'T dance to country music. It's all the modern stuff now. plus no cowboy hats and all that cr ap.:wink:

Paul F
8th-March-2006, 11:34 PM
I'm sure a lot of cerocers out there are so obsessed by dancing that they would like to take it further by trying other styles, but do you believe that the chances of becoming professional is small after hitting 21?

hi donna,

No, no, no. Please dont think that because you didnt start dancing before you could walk you cant ever turn pro. Im not a pro but some of the people I teach tell me that they are too old to take up dancing so they just do it for fun. In fact they are usually the first words out of their mouth.

n.b. I assume you are talking about ballroom/latin.

There is one particular couple that I have taught who said this and then, a while later, decided to compete "just to see how they would do" :nice: I referred them to an experienced competitive coach and they are going for it. They were in their mid 40's. Whether they decide later to turn pro or not isnt really the issue but the fact that they will push themselves to improve is. Otherwise they, like many, will just reach a plateau and stay there.

To put my factual hat on for a second you can turn pro anytime you like. There is no particular barrier that you have to cross. You just make the decision to dance at that level. Its not uncommon for dancers to turn pro and then revert back to amateur status to compete in the lower comps if it doesnt work out. This does vary from country to country though.
Actually, one case springs to mind where a couple decided to go pro, danced a few seasons at that level then entered some amateur comps. Perfectly allowable. They even got a mention in 'dancing news' for something or other.

I say go for it. Practice loads, enjoy it and squeeze in as many privates as you can afford/spare the time for.

Best of luck.

Donna
9th-March-2006, 02:34 PM
[QUOTE=Paul F]n.b. I assume you are talking about ballroom/latin. There is one particular couple that I have taught who said this and then, a while later, decided to compete "just to see how they would do" :nice: I referred them to an experienced competitive coach and they are going for it. They were in their mid 40's. Whether they decide later to turn pro or not isnt really the issue but the fact that they will push themselves to improve is. Otherwise they, like many, will just reach a plateau and stay there.

I was talking about ballroom/latin. Do you teach this as well? :nice: Improving is something I'd really like to work on quicker before I do get too old and have to enter seniors instead! Suppose it is getting the right tuition (which we are, but can only afford twice a month for the mo)

To put my factual hat on for a second you can turn pro anytime you like. There is no particular barrier that you have to cross. You just make the decision to dance at that level. Its not uncommon for dancers to turn pro and then revert back to amateur status to compete in the lower comps if it doesnt work out. This does vary from country to country though.
Actually, one case springs to mind where a couple decided to go pro, danced a few seasons at that level then entered some amateur comps. Perfectly allowable. They even got a mention in 'dancing news' for something or other.

I've heard of a few pros who revert back to amateur too and I suppose it could be that it becomes too stressful for them. Seem to have quite a few competitive ballroom/latin dancers that turn to ceroc when they hit their 40's.

I say go for it. Practice loads, enjoy it and squeeze in as many privates as you can afford/spare the time for.

You know I'd give up my day job to practice all day everyday but then where would I get the money? I don't know how some of these pros live! It's ok for younger ones because they scrounge off their parents and they get spoilt...they have their travelling fees, costumes and accommodation all paid for!!! :sick:

Andreas
9th-March-2006, 02:54 PM
35 this year, and I don't think I have peaked quite yet...
But did you buy a fast car yet? :na:

David Franklin
9th-March-2006, 03:13 PM
I know after you hit 30 the chances of getting to that stage would be rather difficult as that's when the body starts to change, but look at these dancers on Strictly Come Dancing. Jill Halfpenny for e.g I'm sure would blend in with pros no?Just speaking on the physical front, my understanding is your skeletal range of movement is more-or-less fixed by your mid-to-late teens. In other words, while most people can improve their flexibility in later life, if you're 18 and your joints won't let you do the splits - it's probably too late. (Whereas stretching during puberty might have ended up changing your actual joint structure).

I find biggest thing as you get older is that your recovery rate goes down - it takes you longer to recover from exercise, and a LOT longer to recover from injuries. Given that, it's strange how theater arts couples are amongst the older top-flight competitors. David/Sharon came 2nd at Blackpool (and won the US Open) last year, and I think Sharon Savoy is in her fifties now.

Aside from fitness, the other big problem is free time. Most of us have full time jobs and families and "squeeze in" dance practice around the sides. The youngsters can concentrate on their dancing 24:7; it makes a big difference.

Donna
9th-March-2006, 03:22 PM
Just speaking on the physical front, my understanding is your skeletal range of movement is more-or-less fixed by your mid-to-late teens. In other words, while most people can improve their flexibility in later life, if you're 18 and your joints won't let you do the splits - it's probably too late. (Whereas stretching during puberty might have ended up changing your actual joint structure).

Those who are more flexible were born with different shaped joints which makes it easier for them even in later life. I think for those pro dancers who's joints were the same as most peoples, started training when they were very young that made the muscles so supple that it becomes natural by the time they stop growing. Even then, they would have to keep up the stretching nearly everyday. As for the splits, anybody can do it even if they have never done it before. I was watching a programme about a few women practicing for a show and they ALL had to do the splits. What they did was bounce up and down on the spot for a few minutes everyday and under supervision, and within 6 weeks or so, they all managed it! (can't say it would do your joints any good in the future though, which is why you most probably wouldn't have to worry about it if done it from a very early age) This is the only difference that even though everybody is capable of doing it, the older ones will suffer more later on in life than those who trained since they were about 3 or 4 years old.

I find biggest thing as you get older is that your recovery rate goes down

And this doesn't help either!

Aside from fitness, the other big problem is free time. Most of us have full time jobs and families and "squeeze in" dance practice around the sides. The youngsters can concentrate on their dancing 24:7; it makes a big difference.[/QUOTE]

:yeah: :angry:

Northants Girly
9th-March-2006, 05:58 PM
As for the splits, anybody can do it even if they have never done it before. I was watching a programme about a few women practicing for a show and they ALL had to do the splits. What they did was bounce up and down on the spot for a few minutes everyday and under supervision, and within 6 weeks or so, they all managed it! call me synical but REALLY?? :rolleyes:

Donna
9th-March-2006, 06:03 PM
call me synical but REALLY?? :rolleyes:

Yes! REALLY!!

dancing duggie
9th-March-2006, 06:26 PM
your never too old to dance i started at fifty two go out three or four times a week and love every minute of it apart from keeping you fit you meet a lot of wonderful people

Minnie M
9th-March-2006, 07:32 PM
I am not saying a word :whistle:

jivecat
9th-March-2006, 07:41 PM
I am not saying a word :whistle:

Me neither.:what:

Evgeni
9th-March-2006, 08:25 PM
hi donna,

No, no, no. Please dont think that because you didnt start dancing before you could walk you cant ever turn pro. Im not a pro but some of the people I teach tell me that they are too old to take up dancing so they just do it for fun. In fact they are usually the first words out of their mouth.

n.b. I assume you are talking about ballroom/latin.

There is one particular couple that I have taught who said this and then, a while later, decided to compete "just to see how they would do" :nice: I referred them to an experienced competitive coach and they are going for it. They were in their mid 40's. Whether they decide later to turn pro or not isnt really the issue but the fact that they will push themselves to improve is. Otherwise they, like many, will just reach a plateau and stay there.

Best of luck.
I believe Donnie Burns was in his 40's when he was at the top of the pro latin ranks. Paul Killick is late 30's (now retired) and I think Bryan Watson would be around 36 to 37 - all top professional latin dancers who were competing recently.
I believe it is a matter of keeping active - your body will adapt if you treat it right.

Whitebeard
9th-March-2006, 08:26 PM

I say go for it. Practice loads, enjoy it and squeeze in as many privates as you can afford/spare the time for. .....

Why does it have to be me who notices this ?

Andybroom
9th-March-2006, 08:54 PM

Depends on exactly what you mean by a "professional" dancer. Most performance dancers learn from their early teens at the latest and become professionals after attending one of the various dance courses at what amounts to university level in their early twenties. For most of them, their dance careers last till age around thirty. There are exceptions but that's the general thing.

If they are also good singers and/or good actors they may well continue to perform and dance as part of their performance until a more normal retirement age - but not, of course, as principle dancers.

(I work in the theatre industry, that's not supposition!).

If you are going to teach dance then you can carry on as long as you can stand up. There is a nationally respect ballroom coach in Bristol who is still coaching and is in her 90's.

I heard one girl in her 20's had never danced before. She was a kick boxer but made it as a professional dancer and won loads of ballroom and latin comps.

There are very few (if any) professional dancers who can make a living from competition prizes. So she either wasn't a full time professional or she was teaching or something to make money (pretty much all the pro ballroom/latin dancers teach).

In ballroom their are a whole range of competitions for different ages and abilities so you can have a good competiton career (more normally as an amateur) pretty much regardless of when you started and your actual age.

I know after you hit 30 the chances of getting to that stage would be rather difficult as that's when the body starts to change, but look at these dancers on Strictly Come Dancing. Jill Halfpenny for e.g I'm sure would blend in with pros no?

Definately not. Although she (along with several others in that series) did marvellously given the time and conditions they had to work with, none of them got anywhere near the standards of most professional ballroom dancers. They didn't even reach the standards of upper level amateurs!

And Jill Halfpenny would have done at lest some dance training at drama school. (Actually as would many of the actors/actresses in Strictly Come Dancing - their claims to "have never danced before" were a little stretching the truth).

Obviously, doing it from a young age would make it a hell of a lot easier, but what do you lot think?? Do you know of anyone maybe who started at a late age who has been very successful?

No.
But does it matter? - most (if not all) of us here dance for fun, not for profit. Becoming a professional dancer is VERY hard work - several hours training every day as well as a performance (or whatever) in the evening.

Andy

Lou
10th-March-2006, 09:52 AM
Why does it have to be me who notices this ?
Because the rest of us don't have filthy minds! :innocent:

TOPCAT21
10th-March-2006, 10:28 AM
You are never to old to dance, I am a granny and have been dancing for years, and can still dance all night and still get asked to dance, age is just a number:clap:

spindr
10th-March-2006, 11:43 AM
How to dance forever (http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0688074790/ref=sib_rdr_fc/102-1435604-8048960?%5Fencoding=UTF8&p=S001&j=0#reader-page).

SpinDr.

Donna
10th-March-2006, 11:44 AM
Depends on exactly what you mean by a "professional" dancer. Most performance dancers learn from their early teens at the latest and become professionals after attending one of the various dance courses at what amounts to university level in their early twenties. For most of them, their dance careers last till age around thirty.

Or as Evgeni said, in their 40's!! I know of a few people in their 40's who have taken up ballroom and one in particular is very good! What I meant by professional was those who enter competitions for pros like Karen Hardy or Anton for e.g. This kick boxer girl I was telling you about who started in her 20's went on to be that successful. Which tells me it is possible for some. Of course, the fact that she was very athletic to start off with gave her a good head start.

There is a nationally respect ballroom coach in Bristol who is still coaching and is in her 90's.

:eek: Burlimmey!

In ballroom their are a whole range of competitions for different ages and abilities so you can have a good competiton career (more normally as an amateur) pretty much regardless of when you started and your actual age.

Which is something I'd like to get into now. I've been to one in Stockport and it was sooo enjoyable I just didn't want to leave early to catch the train back home!! There was a couple that we met there who came first and are always successful in comps around the country. They are even ranked 4th in the UK! Gary's (the male dancer) mum told me they are not far from being able to cream a few well known ones in the world champs!! We also went to his grans for a cup of tea the next day....and seriously, I have never seen so many medals and trophies in all my life!! Plus there were more in his which is why his Gran had most of them because there wasn't any room for them all!!

Definately not. Although she (along with several others in that series) did marvellously given the time and conditions they had to work with, none of them got anywhere near the standards of most professional ballroom dancers. They didn't even reach the standards of upper level amateurs!

Looking at Jill though, she would have stood out in the amateur comp I went to!

And Jill Halfpenny would have done at lest some dance training at drama school. (Actually as would many of the actors/actresses in Strictly Come Dancing - their claims to "have never danced before" were a little stretching the truth).

well, that did cross my mind too. :rolleyes:

Evgeni
10th-March-2006, 02:17 PM
Or as Evgeni said, in their 40's!! I know of a few people in their 40's who have taken up ballroom and one in particular is very good! What I meant by professional was those who enter competitions for pros like Karen Hardy or Anton for e.g. This kick boxer girl I was telling you about who started in her 20's went on to be that successful. Which tells me it is possible for some. Of course, the fact that she was very athletic to start off with gave her a good head start.

The youth definitely have a physical advantage. I think the older you get, the more time you need to spend on working on your flexibility and injury prevention exercises.
I think where the older couples have the advantage is the maturity in their approach to dancing. You look at a final of a youth latin round and all the couples are trying to out do each other with tricks, splits, semi aerials...etc The choreography borrows from styles like hip hop, funk, jazz and ballet these days. Watching top line pros, especially people like Karen Hardy when she was dancing with Bryan Watson, or a couple like Riccardo Cocchi/ Joanne Wilkinson or Paul Killick when he was dancing with Hanna, their choereography is pure classical latin. No tricks, no special effects - just a man dancing with a woman. And the judges recognise this. It may take a few months in the gym to achieve the splits or a fancy semi aerial, but it takes years to develop a perfect rumba or cha cha basic or walk etc.

Donna
10th-March-2006, 02:51 PM
The youth definitely have a physical advantage. I think the older you get, the more time you need to spend on working on your flexibility and injury prevention exercises.
I think where the older couples have the advantage is the maturity in their approach to dancing. You look at a final of a youth latin round and all the couples are trying to out do each other with tricks, splits, semi aerials...etc The choreography borrows from styles like hip hop, funk, jazz and ballet these days. Watching top line pros, especially people like Karen Hardy when she was dancing with Bryan Watson, or a couple like Riccardo Cocchi/ Joanne Wilkinson or Paul Killick when he was dancing with Hanna, their choereography is pure classical latin. No tricks, no special effects - just a man dancing with a woman. And the judges recognise this. It may take a few months in the gym to achieve the splits or a fancy semi aerial, but it takes years to develop a perfect rumba or cha cha basic or walk etc.

Well said! :yeah:

bigdjiver
10th-March-2006, 03:32 PM
Allegedly 45 is too old to train as a Ceroc Teacher

Donna
10th-March-2006, 04:32 PM

Really? :eek:

TiggsTours
10th-March-2006, 05:02 PM
As for the splits, anybody can do it even if they have never done it before. I was watching a programme about a few women practicing for a show and they ALL had to do the splits. What they did was bounce up and down on the spot for a few minutes everyday and under supervision, and within 6 weeks or so, they all managed it!
Was that the one about the teachers at a private girls school doing the can-can at the Moulin Rouge? I only caught bits of it, but they looked fantastic!

TiggsTours
10th-March-2006, 05:04 PM
Has that changed? I thought it was younger! I know that Asif wanted to go for it a few years ago now, but was told he was too old then, and he's still not 45 yet!

There you go, living proof, Ceroc are acknowledging the talent of older dancers. :respect:

Donna
10th-March-2006, 06:17 PM
Was that the one about the teachers at a private girls school doing the can-can at the Moulin Rouge? I only caught bits of it, but they looked fantastic!

That's the one!!:yeah:

Dorothy
14th-March-2006, 04:27 PM
How to dance forever (http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0688074790/ref=sib_rdr_fc/102-1435604-8048960?%5Fencoding=UTF8&p=S001&j=0#reader-page).

SpinDr.

An encouraging read!! Thanks :)

Donna
14th-March-2006, 04:43 PM
An encouraging read!! Thanks :)

:yeah: Just read some of it and I totally agree!! In fact, this is a book I just HAVE to buy!

under par
14th-March-2006, 05:39 PM
There is a fellow who dances at Andy Mcgregors venue called Don who I believe is 83 and right good dancer he is too.:respect:

Donna
14th-March-2006, 05:42 PM
There is a fellow who dances at Andy Mcgregors venue called Don who I believe is 83 and right good dancer he is too.:respect:

did you ever watch that programme on BBC1 about age? It's been proven that age IS just a number after all whilst your mind and body can actually be a lot younger! He's gotta be one of them!

Rachel
14th-March-2006, 06:02 PM
There is a fellow who dances at Andy Mcgregors venue called Don who I believe is 83 and right good dancer he is too.:respect: My grandmother must be just about 90 now - still goes out line dancing every night and has her 'young' men escorting her home afterwards. She says, 'I let them take me to the door, but I won't let them in'. :worthy:

I want to grow up to be just like her!!
Rachel

Donna
14th-March-2006, 06:18 PM
My grandmother must be just about 90 now - still goes out line dancing every night and has her 'young' men escorting her home afterwards. She says, 'I let them take me to the door, but I won't let them in'. :worthy:

I want to grow up to be just like her!!
Rachel

A MASSIVE MASSIVE :respect: to her then!!!! I do linedancing now and have been for 10 years and still LOVIN IT!!

I think when I get too old for all the high energetic stuff like MJ/ballroom/latin then I think I'll stick to linedancing and take up teaching it full time. I have been teaching it every now and then but don't seem to have the time these days. My diarys full! My Mum teaches though - has her own club and even though it is or can be extremely energetic (in case those of you who think it's boring and all done to country music) it depends which choreographed dances you choose to dance to...for me, it's pop/dance only!

Rachel
14th-March-2006, 06:40 PM
I think when I get too old for all the high energetic stuff like MJ/ballroom/latin then I think I'll stick to linedancing and take up teaching it full time. ... Christ - that's what you'll do when you don't have much energy left??? Good for you, though! My plan, when I get too old & tired for so much dancing, has always been to teach yoga or something rather less strenuous ...

My Mum teaches though - has her own club and even though it is or can be extremely energetic .....Yep, you ought to see all them grannies (I'm referring to my grandmother & associates, not your mother's class!) bouncing around! I remember being there (Canada) on honeymoon oh, 15 years ago, and they all tried to get me up to dance with them. I was too embarrassed to get on a dancefloor in those days, though. :blush: I'm trying to learn to be a little less inhibited now!

R.

tiger
14th-March-2006, 08:30 PM
Hi Donna.

Best of luck in your future dancing.

remember a lot of sacrifices will probably have to be made in your quest for success. Weigh it all up and work out how much you and your partner/s actually want and would be willing to sacrifice, in order to achieve your goals.

go for it

Donna
15th-March-2006, 11:52 AM
Hi Donna.

Best of luck in your future dancing.

remember a lot of sacrifices will probably have to be made in your quest for success. Weigh it all up and work out how much you and your partner/s actually want and would be willing to sacrifice, in order to achieve your goals.

go for it

Sacrifice....everything!!! I'd actually like to start teaching MJ..make money out of that and use it for further training! :nice:

Donna
15th-March-2006, 11:56 AM
I remember being there (Canada) on honeymoon oh, 15 years ago, and they all tried to get me up to dance with them. I was too embarrassed to get on a dancefloor in those days, though. :blush:

Know how you feel!! I once went along to a scottish dancing class with my Aunty (why oh why!:blush: Not that i'm saying its crap or anything as it sure looks hot when done by hot scottish dancers with no nik naks on under their kilts!! ha ha) and they were all old people! They encouraged me to give it a go, but by the time I got to the end of a weave, some of the ones I passed half way still hadn't made it to the other side so I thought..oh I give up! :rofl: