PDA

View Full Version : Losing the high...

LMC
8th-March-2006, 11:06 AM
"Coming down" from a weekender. Discuss. We've probably done this before, but I can't find it.

I went to my tango class last night, which was luvverly. My first MJ since Storm would have been tomorrow, when I am on taxi duty - which after the smooth groove during all of Sunday would have felt like such a crash that I decided to trot along to ISH for an hour after tango and get some freestyle rather than my first MJ being a beginners' class. Not that I dislike beginners' classes, far from it - it's more a case of "which head" I'm wearing.

My dancing was sloppy and all over the place because I am still tired and a bit stiff, but I'm glad I went - I had a couple of fabulous dances :drool: (Mambo Italiano with Bandanna man :clap: - lucky me!). And a few dances which felt a little frustrating as I'd got too used to hitting the breaks over the weekend, rather than dancing through them. But I got more used to that as the (short) session went on and all the dances were good in their own way.

How do others deal with withdrawal from the lack of sleep, caffeine, endorphin, adrenalin "high"?

David Bailey
8th-March-2006, 12:23 PM
"Coming down" from a weekender. Discuss. We've probably done this before, but I can't find it.

There's a "Post-weekender blues (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4180)" thread-ette, is that the one?

How do others deal with withdrawal from the lack of sleep, caffeine, endorphin, adrenalin "high"?
Don't go :)

LMC
8th-March-2006, 12:29 PM
Thank you, shoulda Googled :rolleyes: (grrrrr@ vbulletin search)

The smiley kind of ruins the grumpiness :wink:

Ah, but it's worth it... You can't appreciate the 'high' unless you come down to earth between weekenders - but it's how you can control how fast and hard you hit the ground (all metaphorically speaking of course :) )

under par
8th-March-2006, 12:31 PM

How DULL!

Peaks and troughs are so much better than flatlining........................................ .................................................. ....

Lynn
8th-March-2006, 01:00 PM
"Coming down" from a weekender. Discuss. We've probably done this before, but I can't find it.I really, really, really want to go on another one. Soon. (I was thinking this morning about my plans made about last Oct for a visit to London in April but I guess going to Storm has ruled that out budget wise....unless I can line up another interview :rofl: )

Southport seems sooo far away.

Did I mention that I really want to go on another weekender?

philsmove
8th-March-2006, 01:27 PM
"I went to my tango class last night, which was luvverly. "?

I am afraid you are Turing into a Tango Junkie (http://tango.smoothouse.com/dance/Tango_Junkie)

sorry there is no cure :hug:

Tiggerbabe
8th-March-2006, 01:39 PM
I really, really, really want to go on another one. Soon. .................................................. .................................
Did I mention that I really want to go on another weekender?
*cough* Ehrm, Lynn, isn't there a big event coming up in oh, a couple of weeks? :wink: :whistle:

Lynn
8th-March-2006, 01:45 PM
*cough* Ehrm, Lynn, isn't there a big event coming up in oh, a couple of weeks? :wink: :whistle:Yes, that is something to look forward to. :D (3 weeks - if anyone fancies a weekend in Belfast...)

But I still feel very much that my dancing here has a strong focus on other people enjoying themselves - which is fine, but not that 'weekender' high of hours of dancing, new people to dance with etc. So Southport is my next fix.

And I can't come to the BFG :tears: (admittedly because I'll be in Spain :waycool: dancing, which is about the only reason I wouldn't be there!)

Tessalicious
8th-March-2006, 02:10 PM
I am afraid you are Turing into a Tango Junkie (http://tango.smoothouse.com/dance/Tango_Junkie)What's Turing got to do with it? :rolleyes:

That list is worrying though, especially if you replace 'tango' with 'dance' - I would say yes to about 40 of those :really:

philsmove
8th-March-2006, 02:20 PM
What's Turing got to do with it? :rolleyes:

:

if you are not a tango Junkie you could
take t h e t u r i n g t e s t (http://cogsci.ucsd.edu/~asaygin/tt/ttest.html):whistle:

but please go here (http://72.232.2.194/~fpauly/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37) first :blush:

jivecat
8th-March-2006, 10:28 PM
I didn't get the "weekender high" this time. I really, really, really enjoyed myself and had loads of fab dances but felt pretty much as usual on Monday. Not even very tired, though my feet are still hurting.

Usually I get back with everything zipping madly round my head and the first local night afterwards is a big come-down. But this time, it's like, OK, done that. Next!

LMC
9th-March-2006, 10:28 AM
C R A S H .... :tears:

The beginners last night were lovely - and a couple have potential to be very nice dancers. But there were lots of regular experienced 'faces' missing last night and lots of new ones - as I discovered as the evening went on, mostly intermediates visiting from another venue, run by another organisation. I would name and shame if I had got to the bottom of who/where/why they were with us rather than with "them" (temporary closure of their venue?) - because although I had a couple of lovely dances with two of them, the others were all b****y awful. I have never been gripped, yanked and bounced around so much. My shoulders and lower back are killing me today and my hands are still sore. It was the worst evening's dancing I have had in a very long time - even taking into account that I was dancing at less than my best.

To make up for the whinge, I will say that I discussed with the venue managers and fully intend to talk to the teacher next week too. I spoke to two of the worst culprits myself about the thumbs. One of them was actually offended that I'd asked him to dance in the first place - "I'm not a beginner you know" - actually, I didn't - and although taxis focus particularly on beginners, they are there to dance with anyone, as Jon did say at the end of the beginners' lesson. The other was apologetic, but then I couldn't help squawking as he practically dislocated my shoulder :mad: . Next week, as I'm not on duty, I won't be so nice and will darn well bounce if they are bouncing me :innocent:

Since I'm talking about Stevenage, I will say - Jon Brett, what a dark horse you are! - well done for taking a beginners' class at zero notice 'cos the regular teacher got stuck in traffic. You explained everything clearly and were entertaining too.

I wanted to go to Bow tonight - but my back and shoulders need to recover for the weekend :(

jacksondonut
9th-March-2006, 10:46 AM
Well, I havent been out dancing at all this week....:tears: I Seemed to have developed a very sore throat too... wonder whether its anything to do with the damp, sweaty air over the weekend.... :confused: :confused:

Been to a consultant aswell, about my poorly knees and have to have a scan in April to find out whats the matter with them...:tears: :tears:

Trying not to to do much after such a fab weekend and by Saturday, my knees wont be as swollen.... so I will hopefully see a lot of you there
:flower: :flower: :flower: (Walthamstow of course)

Miss the PARTY atmosphere, AND its been a quiet week, but still am SO tired, it is just as well really.
:cheers:

Lynn
9th-March-2006, 12:06 PM
Despite ending up on taxi duty unexpectedly, it was still great to be able to come home from a weekender and actually be dancing again that week! (Instead of coming home from a weekender and not dancing again for anything from 3 weeks to 3 months). Some of our beginners are starting to improve which is lovely - they are still getting confused about the moves at times and forgetting they don't have to hold on for grim death - but no bouncing or yanking. And at 10pm I took off my taxi t-shirt and made sure I had a few good dances to try and keep a little spark of the weekender high alive.

EDIT - and put another top on...