PDA

View Full Version : The Jive Aces rule ok

Danger Mouse
7th-March-2006, 05:06 PM
Sunday Evening Freestyle, Ceroc Storm, Pontins Camber Sands.

Now I know you won't all agree with me here, but I think the Jive Aces were fantastic on Sunday evening at Ceroc Storm. Did they modify their normal set for Ceroc Storm? Or was it just my imagination?

This is the third time I’ve seen them and there set did seem to contain far more easily danceable numbers and less of the out and out rock and roll (far too fast for me).

And once more they did go down very well with the vast majority of people who were in the main ballroom, coming back for 2 encores.

Well done Jive Aces! I’m a fan :nice: :respect: :nice:

TiggsTours
7th-March-2006, 05:37 PM

Now I know you won't all agree with me here, but I think the Jive Aces were fantastic on Sunday evening at Ceroc Storm. Did they modify their normal set for Ceroc Storm? Or was it just my imagination?

This is the third time I’ve seen them and there set did seem to contain far more easily danceable numbers and less of the out and out rock and roll (far too fast for me).

And once more they did go down very well with the vast majority of people who were in the main ballroom, coming back for 2 encores.

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

I know they're not everybody's taste, but they are mine, I thought they were superb, and if you didn't like their music you could always go downstairs! For me, a good dance venue will have plenty of variation of music, to suit everybody, you can't please all the people all the time, but then I hate that "I like the music, so I'm alright Jack...." attitude.

They were superb! :clap: :clap: :clap: :respect: :respect: :respect:

LucyB
7th-March-2006, 05:43 PM
I thought they were fantastic, perfect speed, though I did love the really fast one they did and I loved their comment about the forum!:clap:

Paul F
7th-March-2006, 05:43 PM
For me, a good dance venue will have plenty of variation of music, to suit everybody, you can't please all the people all the time, but then I hate that "I like the music, so I'm alright Jack...." attitude.

Yep, totally agree.
Although I had a few light-hearted comments to say about them in the chalet I was actually quite glad they were there. As TT says it meant a really good variety. I dont particularly like the music they play myself as I prefer the blues room environment but having them there added to the diversity. All good IMO when you have multiple rooms.

stewart38
7th-March-2006, 06:04 PM
Yep, totally agree.
Although I had a few light-hearted comments to say about them in the chalet I was actually quite glad they were there. As TT says it meant a really good variety. I dont particularly like the music they play myself as I prefer the blues room environment but having them there added to the diversity. All good IMO when you have multiple rooms.

Yes a great talent but exactly same ending as ive seen before :sad:

And no Im just a gigolo played :sad:

Paul F
7th-March-2006, 06:10 PM
Yes a great talent but exactly same ending as ive seen before :sad:

And no Im just a gigolo played :sad:

Is that the 3 and a hlaf hour final track :rofl:
I remember them doing that the last time I saw them. The piano players' 'foot on the piano' thing. :grin:

TA Guy
7th-March-2006, 06:13 PM

They've been playing a less frenetic set for a while. Can't speak for all venues of course, but that's the third time since xmas 2004 I've seen them, and all three sets have been superb. (as in less frenetic than previous outings, much more Ceroc suitable).
What I don't know is whether the organisers have to 'ask' for the slower set, if that's the case, blame your organisers :) Otherwise I think they've just listened to feedback. Good on 'em :)

Dancing to a live version of 'fever', one of the highlights for me cos I love that song :)

Lee
7th-March-2006, 06:19 PM

I've never liked/nor been able to maintain my dancing with the speed of their music, and had considered them an event to miss at Storm.

My mistake. :respect:

I will now ensure the next time they are playing/performing, i will see what they are like. :flower:

Nearly all my group said the same though, so we chose to have dinner during their gig, i will inform everyone next time to give them another go. :cheers:

Lee

Chef
7th-March-2006, 06:30 PM
I know they are not everyones taste but I like dancing to the Jive Aces, much more so since they have turned the throttle down a bit for their sets.

I wouldn't want to go to them every week but the once every three months that I can get to them seems about right for me at the present.

I like dancing to GOOD live bands and the Jive Aces are the best musicians that I have encountered (I have also encountered some truly awful bands as well) and even more than that they are not just a band, for me they are a complete show.

Mr Cool
7th-March-2006, 07:37 PM
:yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

I know they're not everybody's taste, but they are mine, I thought they were superb, and if you didn't like their music you could always go downstairs! For me, a good dance venue will have plenty of variation of music, to suit everybody, you can't please all the people all the time, but then I hate that "I like the music, so I'm alright Jack...." attitude.

They were superb! :clap: :clap: :clap: :respect: :respect: :respect:

:yeah::yeah:

For me they were the highlight of the weekend i was getting a bit fed up with the amount of slow (boring) R&B music down stairs and the mind numbing Ceroc music upstairs.
It is so good to dance to live music perfomed well that makes you want to dance.
The Jive aces improve everytime i see them.
If you cannot dance to these guys you are missing out big style. :waycool: :waycool: :waycool: :waycool:

Stuart
7th-March-2006, 11:09 PM
This was the first time that I have seen them that I have been able to dance to virtually everything they played.

jiveknight
8th-March-2006, 05:09 PM
Thanks guys, we really enjoyed it too! Great audience and atmosphere! :clap:

Got a few good dances in too :nice:

Cheers! Ian :cheers: :waycool:

wicked blue
8th-March-2006, 07:46 PM
Urm did i miss something?!!!

Yep that'll be it.. The Jive Aces!! :whistle: No regrets about missing them, not my cuppa tea. :sick:

thewacko
8th-March-2006, 10:19 PM
gotta admit I actually missed their set, mainly cos my partner isn't too keen, plus we were not ready in time due to having an afternoon siesta that lasted a bit longer than it should - I just caught their finally and encore

But I think they are brilliant - nicked one of their badges downstairs plus I also have 3 of their albums and the xmas single cd

call me sad but hey - Brilliant guys - keep it up:cheers: :clap: :clap: :clap:

NaturalMystic
8th-March-2006, 11:03 PM
:yeah::yeah:

For me they were the highlight of the weekend i was getting a bit fed up with the amount of slow (boring) R&B music down stairs and the mind numbing Ceroc music upstairs.
It is so good to dance to live music perfomed well that makes you want to dance.
The Jive aces improve everytime i see them.
If you cannot dance to these guys you are missing out big style. :waycool: :waycool: :waycool: :waycool:

Can't agree more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Jive Aces are full blood musicians and its great fun to watch them play let alone dance to their music. :clap: I thought their encore show piece was absolutely brilliant – amazing!! :worthy:

Minnie M
8th-March-2006, 11:31 PM
Have any of you guys ever danced to any other swing bands ? If so who :flower:

Chicklet
9th-March-2006, 05:34 PM
Craig McMurdo

think he (they) mostly just do Corporate Events these days, but I could be wrong, they may still be doing the Edinburgh Festival

jiveknight
9th-March-2006, 08:31 PM
Craig McMurdo

think he (they) mostly just do Corporate Events these days, but I could be wrong, they may still be doing the Edinburgh Festival

Yeah, he has mainly been doing corporates but he performed with us at the Edinburgh festival and now DJs for Saga radio and I believe he was going to do a theatre tour in Scotland - he's definitely worth seeing even if its not a dance :nice: .

Lynn
9th-March-2006, 10:24 PM
Have any of you guys ever danced to any other swing bands ? If so who :flower:Maria Vincent and the Millionaires.

BTW I popped upstairs in time for the last few songs of Jive Aces and a couple of lovely dances and caught the encore.

thewacko
10th-March-2006, 09:54 PM
I danced to a swing band at The Rivoli a few months back - can not remember their name which is a shame cos the drummer dances at Greenwich:blush:

And a Jazz band during the Greenwich Jazz Festival (The night after seeing The jive aces on a boat trip along the Thames - Now that was a good night, Kelly From Charlton/Greenwich taught a fun class between the Jive aces stints).

Which reminds me - I missed most of their show at Storm, but have any of you seen their Roadie dance:respect:

Not Modern Jive/Ceroc but bluudy eck the guy can move:worthy:

Mr Cool
11th-March-2006, 12:21 PM

Hi Minne I have danced to loads of swing bands including sticky wicket, 920 delux, Casey McGill, Sheena davis, Blue harlem also loads of rock and roll bands including the Fat Cats and Big boy Bloater for me none come close to the Jive Aces they are such fun to dance too, have a wide range of good dance music ( not much boring R&B) and there talent is second to none.
:respect: :respect: :waycool: :waycool: :waycool: :waycool:

WittyBird
11th-March-2006, 01:27 PM
Which reminds me - I missed most of their show at Storm, but have any of you seen their Roadie dance:respect:

Not Modern Jive/Ceroc but bluudy eck the guy can move:worthy:

I danced with him last night :yum: He is a lovely guy :D

fletch
11th-March-2006, 02:04 PM
I danced with him last night :yum: He is a lovely guy :D
You looked FAB and its all on film:respect:

WittyBird
11th-March-2006, 02:18 PM
You looked FAB and its all on film:respect:

Yes I watched it afterwards unfortunately it was in widescreen so not only do I look shorter (which isn't difficult) but I also look like I have been washed up on a beach :sad:

jiveknight
11th-March-2006, 07:29 PM
Yes I watched it afterwards unfortunately it was in widescreen so not only do I look shorter (which isn't difficult) but I also look like I have been washed up on a beach :sad:

It looked fine!

Maybe we can put it on the web site (or on the forum)...

WittyBird
11th-March-2006, 07:30 PM
It looked fine!

Maybe we can put it on the web site (or on the forum)...

Sweetheart you can put it where you like :D

stewart38
12th-March-2006, 04:40 AM
Here they are at Camber

steamroc
12th-March-2006, 09:40 AM
It's been nearly a week now (I've been to three Ceroc seasons since!) but I still remember dancing to them, mind you because the dancing was great {it's easier to dance to a live band rather than a record!], I don't know what tricks they were up to as my gaze was purely on my partner(s).

ducasi
12th-March-2006, 10:04 AM
it's easier to dance to a live band rather than a record! Why do you think that is?

steamroc
12th-March-2006, 05:01 PM
To be honest I don't know, it may be that you feel more in tune with "Live" music rather than recorded?

bigdjiver
12th-March-2006, 06:37 PM
oops! :<

ducasi
12th-March-2006, 09:42 PM
To be honest I don't know, it may be that you feel more in tune with "Live" music rather than recorded?
As you say you weren't watching them, I wonder if you'd feel the same being played a recording of a "live" performance... Or if they appeared live, but the play-back was a previous recording.

I've never experienced dancing to a live band (I guess I've seen it, but that was before I was a dancer) but I have difficulty understanding where the difference is.

Mike Allsopp
12th-March-2006, 10:41 PM
What I don't know is whether the organisers have to 'ask' for the slower set, if that's the case, blame your organisers :) Otherwise I think they've just listened to feedback. Good on 'em :)

The first time the Jive Aces played a Ceroc Event (about 4yrs ago) they were considerably quicker than the sets they now play - We discussed what we wanted, they listened to the feedback and adjusted accordingly, hence they are now very popular and highly rated on the Modern Jive scene. Not only are they superbly talented but really nice guys....they have never been known to trash a hotel!

steamroc
12th-March-2006, 10:41 PM
As you say you weren't watching them, I wonder if you'd feel the same being played a recording of a "live" performance... Or if they appeared live, but the play-back was a previous recording.

I've never experienced dancing to a live band (I guess I've seen it, but that was before I was a dancer) but I have difficulty understanding where the difference is.
It's almost certainly just in the mind! I've been known to be mad for years...:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

ducasi
12th-March-2006, 11:05 PM
It's almost certainly just in the mind! I've been known to be mad for years...:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
OK, don't have so much difficulty understanding that. :wink:

thewacko
15th-March-2006, 11:26 PM

The first time the Jive Aces played a Ceroc Event (about 4yrs ago) they were considerably quicker than the sets they now play - We discussed what we wanted, they listened to the feedback and adjusted accordingly, hence they are now very popular and highly rated on the Modern Jive scene. Not only are they superbly talented but really nice guys....they have never been known to trash a hotel!

They have done quite a few "gigs" for Dance Riviera in Dartford and I know that they are good Friends with Jim there. Jim, allegedly, has had discussions with them about their tempo/beat and they have have improved significantly since, as far as Modern Jive/Ceroc dancers are concerned - there Latest CD Album is also much more "Ceroc" timed and IMO easier to listen to as well

I danced to a swing band at The Rivoli a few months back - can not remember their name which is a shame cos the drummer dances at greenwich

I finally tracked the drummer down and for all you forumites who may be the slightest bit interested they are called "OOHBOPSH'BAM" no wonder I couldn't remember their name, but once again I highly recomend them albeit they played a little too fast to my liking but I think that was cos there were a lot of Jivers/Lindi hoppers there

:waycool: for any one interested -oohbopsh'bam are also bringing out a new Cd in the near future so keep your eyes peeled - you will be pleasenly suprised - or my name isn't Tazmanian Devil:confused:

jiveknight
4th-April-2006, 03:32 PM
I finally tracked the drummer down and for all you forumites who may be the slightest bit interested they are called "OOHBOPSH'BAM" no wonder I couldn't remember their name, but once again I highly recomend them albeit they played a little too fast to my liking but I think that was cos there were a lot of Jivers/Lindi hoppers there

:waycool: for any one interested -oohbopsh'bam are also bringing out a new Cd in the near future so keep your eyes peeled - you will be pleasenly suprised - or my name isn't Tazmanian Devil:confused:

I believe this is the new band fronted by Jacko who used to sing with Rent Party from Southend, one of the first jive bands. They were on the night before we were at Boogaloo but reports were good and he was always a good frontman so good to see him back on the scene. :grin: