PDA

View Full Version : Handedness

Stuart M
14th-May-2002, 09:06 AM
What's the statistical breakdown amongst the Forum crowd, and as a general topic, does anyone think it makes a difference? As a lefty myself I'd definitely say it does - am I the only guy here who does (left arm) shoulder-rolls on a return?

Or is that nothing to do with handedness, and more about me trying to show off ? :sorry

Franck
14th-May-2002, 12:20 PM
Interesting question...

As men can use both hands, I wonder if they favour right-handed moves etc...

What about women, they have to use their right hand! Does that make a difference if you are left handed? Do you find you use your spare hand to create style effects more often / easily?

I had never thought of that aspect before, so keep the statistical data coming, we might be breaking new grounds.

As for the shoulder roll, well, it is a hard move regardless of which hand you use... What about the right-handed archiespin? I know most men hate it... though I suspect it is a feet problem rather than a hand one.

Franck.

DavidB
14th-May-2002, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Franck
What about women, they have to use their right hand! I sometimes lead basic moves (eg yoyo) with the lady's right hand. I usually get a smile for a couple of moves, but then her left hand comes back out, and a look on her face implying "That was different, now go back to leading normally!".

Another fun one is leading a move in reverse ie from the end to the beginning. It looks and feels better if you do the move normally first.

Of course both of these variations shouldn't be tried with a beginner, or with someone you have never danced with before, or to fast music. They can get very confusing both to lead and follow, and quite often they lady will not be set up to go where you want her. And don't spend the whole song doing it - it loses the effect.

One thing I have never managed to do is lead a mirror image of a basic move eg a yoyo with my left hand, her right hand, going to my left side.

David

Franck
14th-May-2002, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by DavidB
I sometimes lead basic moves (eg yoyo) with the lady's right hand. I usually get a smile for a couple of moves, but then her left hand comes back out, and a look on her face implying "That was different, now go back to leading normally!". Assuming you mean her left hand, then yes, that can be fun, for a change... Though I suspect more from our perspective than theirs...

Another fun one is leading a move in reverse ie from the end to the beginning. It looks and feels better if you do the move normally first. Yes, I like that, though the effort in thinking backwards is significant and takes away from your partner's enjoyment of the concept, especially if she ends up with a dislocated shoulder in the process :(

One thing I have never managed to do is lead a mirror image of a basic move eg a yoyo with my left hand, her right hand, going to my left side.

David For this, you would need to take your partners left hand in your left, and then lead 10 times more than usual :sorry
It can be done, when the music slow and you are feeling bored (don't tell your partner that though :sick: :reallymad

Franck.

DavidB
14th-May-2002, 01:45 PM
Sorry Franck - I was getting her left and right hand mixed up. My wife usually says the right hand and the wrong hand.

David

jiveoholic
14th-May-2002, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Stuart M
am I the only guy here who does (left arm) shoulder-rolls on a return?

Or is that nothing to do with handedness, and more about me trying to show off ? :sorry

Could you describe this move please Stuart...especially if it good to show off!

Stuart M
15th-May-2002, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by jiveoholic

It's not really a move per se, just that as your partner comes out of a return, you bring your arm over hers (as if trying to trap her hand in your armpit) and roll your shoulder as you step back out to the usual position. It gets a good reaction if you've done it well :waycool: but a bad one if her hand gets too close to the armpit :sick: . And be careful with that elbow!

I doubt if it can be done on a right handed return, never tried, but the lady being on her right hand too would make it awkward I guess. Of course, you could try it in a mirror position, right hand to her left - hold on, I'm getting confused now :what:

Maybe I've got the wrong name for it?

Franck
15th-May-2002, 12:14 PM
It's not really a move per se, just that as your partner comes out of a return, you bring your arm over hers (as if trying to trap her hand in your armpit) and roll your shoulder as you step back out to the usual position.Wow, now I'm confused... I'll admit, I have no idea what you mean there... :what:
I am teaching tonight in Glasgow, so maybe you can show me what you mean if you are going to be there!:nice:

Franck.

DavidB
15th-May-2002, 01:10 PM
It's not really a move per se, just that as your partner comes out of a return, you bring your arm over hers (as if trying to trap her hand in your armpit) and roll your shoulder as you step back out to the usual position.At first I thought you meant a comb, but then had horrible visions of you combing the hair under your arms... :what:

Then I realised what you mean (I think). I've heard it called an arm loop or shoulder loop.
As the girl finishes the return, you don't allow her to step back immediately. As you lower your hand, you bend your arm, and lift your elbow above her arm. You place her hand on your shoulder, let go and finish like a comb.
The whole thing should take 3 jive beats (vs 2 for a normal return).

It is a cute move, but very easy to break the lady's nose.

Any time you bring your elbows up for moves like these, you should try rotating your body away, or stepping away from her. That will keep her arm straight. and give you enough room. The worst thing you can do is step into her, or pull her into you.

Definitely a move that should be taught, and not just tried because you see someone else doing it.

David

Stuart M
15th-May-2002, 01:30 PM
Then I realised what you mean (I think). I've heard it called an arm loop or shoulder loop.

Definitely a move that should be taught, and not just tried because you see someone else doing it.

Yup, that's the thing I meant David. Your description's a heck of a lot better, thanks.

And the remark about having to be taught it in a class is spot on - I dragged Mairi off the dance floor one night to run through it several times. Without some direct coaching I'd never have worked it out (I'll leave it to those wonderful Glasgow ladies on the Forum to judge whether I have! :wink: )

But to get back to the thread, it's a move I'd imagine righties find pretty tough.

As to shoulder rolls, Franck, you'll have to teach them sometime, then I might know what I'm talking about (assuming such a move exists - sounds like it should!). But not tonight - the world's biggest club football match is taking place a stone's throw from my house. Trying to get out of/back into the Hampden area will be a bit too awkward tonight!

Jayne
16th-May-2002, 11:58 AM

I'll leave it to those wonderful Glasgow ladies on the Forum to judge whether I have! :wink: )

I admit that it was slightly confusing on the first couple of encounters but I'm used to it now and you score a 10/10!:nice:

Jayne :wink:

Jayne
16th-May-2002, 01:59 PM
Stuart,

just noticed that your poll lacks an option for the "secret third hand". someone (nameless so far...) threatened to use his last night.... The mind boggled.:what:

Jayne

(PS how many more posts do I need???:wink: )

Franck
16th-May-2002, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Jayne
just noticed that your poll lacks an option for the "secret third hand". someone (nameless so far...) threatened to use his last night.... The mind boggled.:what: Wow, you do seem to get some interesting dances and offers, I wonder what you answered !?
Maybe he was talking about the ankle spin? ;)

(PS how many more posts do I need???:wink: )
How many more for What?
Unless you mean to get to be admitted to the Secret Order of the Third Hand (SOTH), the initiation ceremony is not for the faint-hearted, so is the secret hand-shake :wink:

Franck.

Jayne
16th-May-2002, 02:27 PM

How many more for What?
Unless you mean to get to be admitted to the Secret Order of the Third Hand (SOTH), the initiation ceremony is not for the faint-hearted, so is the secret hand-shake :wink:

Franck.

To regain fourth position in the top ten ahead of Stuart.... :grin:

It's my first day back (have I mentioned I've been on holiday) and posting on the forum is more interesting than work... :wink:

Jayne

Franck
16th-May-2002, 03:18 PM

To regain fourth position in the top ten ahead of Stuart.... :grin:

It's my first day back (have I mentioned I've been on holiday) and posting on the forum is more interesting than work... :wink:

Jayne You are doing pretty well so far, but you are still 1 post behind Stuart... It serves you right for taking a holiday and coming back with such an ostentatious tan!
The least you could have done was find an internet cafŽ at your resort and keep up with the Ceroc Forum! :wink: :waycool:
After all, that's what I did on my last holiday!

I don't know, some people have no sense of commitment :wink:

Franck.

Jayne
16th-May-2002, 03:30 PM
You are doing pretty well so far, but you are still 1 post behind Stuart... It serves you right for taking a holiday and coming back with such an ostentatious tan!
The least you could have done was find an internet cafŽ at your resort and keep up with the Ceroc Forum! :wink: :waycool:
After all, that's what I did on my last holiday!

I don't know, some people have no sense of commitment :wink:

Franck.

How could I? That would mean going inside a building and I had a tan to work on!!!

Promise next time I'll show greater commitment!

Jayne

Stuart M
16th-May-2002, 04:15 PM
Hey, can you two take it elsewhere? I was hoping this thread would be about hands, not tans :mad: Not that I'm jealous of the holiday or anything. :wink:

Too many spurious posts on my thread - go pollute someone elses :grin:

Anyway, this additional spurious post (don't worry, not payed for by the taxpayer, Heather!) was just the excuse to show off my new avatar. Hope it raises a smile...

Jayne
16th-May-2002, 04:34 PM
Sorry Stuart!

Handedness....

A couple of weeks ago I was brave enough to do the beginner's class as a man. I'm right handed and (obviously) I'm used to dancing with my right hand. Now I don't know if it was having to remember to "catch" with a specific hand or whether it was having to use my left hand that was the problem but I did find it harder leading with a left hand than a right. (Of course the tan might make a difference if I tried being a man again...:wink: )

Does this answer your question??

Jayne

Jayne
16th-May-2002, 04:40 PM

Anyway, this additional spurious post (don't worry, not payed for by the taxpayer, Heather!) was just the excuse to show off my new avatar. Hope it raises a smile...

:nice:

Jayne

Franck
22nd-May-2002, 04:17 PM
It's not really a move per se, just that as your partner comes out of a return, you bring your arm over hers (as if trying to trap her hand in your armpit) and roll your shoulder as you step back out to the usual position. Ok, thanks for showing me what you meant last Monday. I have to say, that while I remember seeing a few guys doing it in London, I had never tried it myself. In fact trying it a couple of times last Monday, proved I was pretty unable to do it. I guess I'll have to practice a bit more. :sorry
I think it is a pretty cool style addition, like a shoulder comb? :waycool:
Not great with sweaty armpits I suspect though (saying that the Comb is not great with a sweaty neck either).

Franck.

Gus
21st-July-2002, 05:20 PM
Ok, thanks for showing me what you meant last Monday. I have to say, that while I remember seeing a few guys doing it in London, I had never tried it myself

Sounds like Viktors variation. I think its a derivation of a salsa move (no doubt Lydia can correct me). Viktor taught it to us last year, leading with the elbow, but then extending it to a full arm/shoulder roll. As with all really stylish moves its a deadly waepon ... it can look super cool or bl**dy awefull.

under par
12th-May-2004, 07:35 AM
Interesting question...

What about the right-handed archiespin? I know most men hate it... though I suspect it is a feet problem rather than a hand one.

Franck.

I know I can't stand this one:devil:

I bet this was choreographed by a left handed left footed person.:whistle:

ChrisA
12th-May-2004, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by under par
I know I can't stand this one:devil:
Neither could I... until I learned how to do it :D

Franck
12th-May-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by ChrisA
Neither could I... until I learned how to do it :D That's the thing isn't it? :nice:

The Right-handed Archie is a great move, and done well is very fluid, smooth, and can create that 'Wow' factor... But more often than not, it ends up looking like a pachyderm attempting a triple salto!

Doing the move well requires good balance / body awareness, spinning / turning technique and a good lead so that the timing can be perfect!

Generally, all the above is considered far too much effort for a move your partner is not supposed to even notice!

ChrisA
12th-May-2004, 11:57 AM
But more often than not, it ends up looking like a pachyderm attempting a triple salto!
Yep, in fact I'm amazed that anyone can learn it, other than by practising it with someone one's not afraid to look foolish in front of (thanks Jayne :flower: )

The reason it took me so long to learn was because I'd never attempt it cos I'd look (and consequently feel) like a right muppet if I tried it in freestyle and lost my balance. And I'd dread it when Viktor would put it into one of his classes, making it look dead cool and saying "I really love this move".

Whereas now on the rare occasions it's taught in an intermediate class, I seem no longer to have that "oh god, please no" feeling. :)

It is, however, a move that's very vulnerable to being pulled off balance by a lady who's determined to lower her own hand or one that travels in unpredictable directions during a return.

Chris

Daisy Chain
12th-May-2004, 05:02 PM
Interesting question...

What about women, they have to use their right hand! Does that make a difference if you are left handed? Do you find you use your spare hand to create style effects more often / easily?

Franck.

I'm left handed and find it completely natural to offer my right hand most of the time in Ceroc - probably because, from the first lesson, a lady is taught always to offer her right hand. Given the choice at the start, I would probably insisted on left offerings. Now, I'll offer anything.

However I've noticed that my spare left arm can flail around gracefully of its own accord but the right arm is completely wooden and doesn't have a clue how to behave when it finds itself spare. Purely lack of practice I feel.

Being left handed, I've often wondered how you right handed drivers manage to change gear. Not sure I could find reverse with the other hand.

Also, I can't steer a spoon into my gob with my right hand but use a knife and fork like normal people...

Cackhanded Daisy

Dreadful Scathe
12th-May-2004, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Daisy Chain

Being left handed, I've often wondered how you right handed drivers manage to change gear. Not sure I could find reverse with the other hand.

Having driven in europe a lot i can say that gears dont bother me either side but being right handed i find my left-hand has a weaker grip so its scarier changing gear at speed until you get used to it. If you see what i mean :)

Someone will need to show me a right handed archie spin :)

Forte
28th-July-2004, 04:05 PM

I have been on the receiving end of a sTuart shoulder roll and can confirm it is fun, original and he does it well! :flower: I also don't think anyone else has ever done it when I have been dancing with them...It's a Stuart thing in my mind... :grin:

philsmove
28th-July-2004, 10:05 PM
At the moment over 10% of us are three-handed mysterious dancers

Are they male or female :confused:

I only have two arms. :blush: Is this why I cannot get to grips with double/triple trouble

Stuart M
29th-July-2004, 10:30 AM

Are they male or female :confused:

I only have two arms. :blush: Is this why I cannot get to grips with double/triple trouble
Another problem with this poll is that it contains an element of response bias - left handers are more likely to respond because they tend to notice handedness issues more. So even the apparently scientific angle to this poll should be ignored...

As to those three-handed mysterious dancers, how on earth are they able to remain mysterious? :confused:

Flash
29th-July-2004, 11:18 AM
I have been on the receiving end of a sTuart shoulder roll and can confirm it is fun, original and he does it well! :flower: I also don't think anyone else has ever done it when I have been dancing with them...It's a Stuart thing in my mind... :grin:

Hmmm....nope!!

Chris D, Edinburgh dancer does it with both left and right arm, sometimes at the same time. And I personally witnessed this move first with William another Edinburgh (taxi) dancer.......so for me he was way down the list on who had done this move with me. :rofl:

But Stuart does manage to pull it off in rather a sleek manner :clap:

Daisy Chain
29th-July-2004, 12:13 PM

I

Personally, I'd be more interested in 3-legged men :wink:

Daisy

Forte
30th-July-2004, 11:42 AM
Hmmm....nope!!

Chris D, Edinburgh dancer does it with both left and right arm, sometimes at the same time. And I personally witnessed this move first with William another Edinburgh (taxi) dancer.......so for me he was way down the list on who had done this move with me. :rofl:

But Stuart does manage to pull it off in rather a sleek manner :clap:

Is that Chris very tall? I think I might have been shouder rolled by him too, now you come to mention it... :grin:

robd
4th-April-2006, 04:54 PM
What about the right-handed archiespin? I know most men hate it... though I suspect it is a feet problem rather than a hand one.

Thread from the dead!

I love this move, assuming I am thinking of the same thing - R to R, travelling return for the lady and a 1.5 CW spin for the man so you end up facing the lady still in a R to R hold? However it has taken a long time for me to get to a stage where I am vaguely happy with my execution of it. First attempts saw me ending up miles from my partner and having to let go mid turn so I didn't break our wrists :sick: Having sorted that I could then only manage 1 spin in time which left me facing away from my partner (which can actually work as a variation). I think the thing that has helped me (IMHO) improve most is realising that I don't need to step forward and can pretty much turn on the spot leaving the ladies momentum to create the necessary distance and tension between us at the move's end to go into the next move smoothly (though I still feel I lack control at this point, my handhold is often higher than I feel it should be and I often feel there is a bit too much tension between myself and partner but it's lots better than it was)

The Right-handed Archie is a great move, and done well is very fluid, smooth, and can create that 'Wow' factor... But more often than not, it ends up looking like a pachyderm attempting a triple salto!

Doing the move well requires good balance / body awareness, spinning / turning technique and a good lead so that the timing can be perfect!

Generally, all the above is considered far too much effort for a move your partner is not supposed to even notice!

I think the phrase 'pachyderm attempting a triple salto' has a certain 'Wow' factor :wink: even if I don't understand it.

And it is quite amusing how some partners regard you quite warily after you do this move. It's as if they know you've done something but aren't quite sure what it is.

Robert

CJ
4th-April-2006, 04:57 PM
In preparing with my partner for Blackpool, I found out that use of both hands was equally as important as either hand on it's own.

:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

drathzel
4th-April-2006, 05:09 PM

You are right, this move if led well with the correct timing is fab, but the times i have danced this move and it not been done right far outweigh the good!

i can follow with either hand, i dont know why but if a guy gets me on the wrong hand i just go with it. Thinking about it i remember dancing with franck in glasgow and we were dancing L-L and it actually took me a minute to think "mmm, something is different here" :D

Donna
4th-April-2006, 05:12 PM
You are right, this move if led well with the correct timing is fab, but the times i have danced this move and it not been done right far outweigh the good!

Not just the right timing but the correct distance between you and your partner too.

i can follow with either hand, i dont know why but if a guy gets me on the wrong hand i just go with it. Thinking about it i remember dancing with franck in glasgow and we were dancing L-L and it actually took me a minute to think "mmm, something is different here" :D

Funny... I've been listing all the basic moves and new moves we have for our routine today taking bits out and discovered that we have no L-L moves!:eek: Weird. Can't think of any though.

Frankie_4711
4th-April-2006, 06:21 PM
I am a right handed female. Dancing as a follower I find it natural and easy to offer my right hand, and am completely happy doing 'creative' things with my left - I am also happy if my left hand is taken, but find it much harder (or should I say impossible!) to do creative stuff with my right!

Dancing as a lead I don't have a problem with either handed moves (although I can only do beginner moves).

On our last lesson in Maidstone before Xmas last year we had a competition. We weren't told beforehand what it was to be, or that it would follow on from what we learnt in the lesson ... consequently I decided to do the lesson as a man ... the lesson was 4 beginner moves as usual (can't remember what they were, I know one was a yo-yo, think there was a comb, perhaps a side to side ... ) all done with the opposite hand - and the competition was to do the routine once through like that, then once through changing to normal handed then back to wrong handed and so on for a whole song without making a single mistake! I actually found it reasonably easy, considering I'm not a very practiced lead anyway. The women seemed to find it really difficult to offer their left hands or work out which way they were supposed to be turning - trying to go against my lead most of the time! Fun, but I wouldn't want to do it often!

Rhythm King
5th-April-2006, 09:56 AM
Funny... I've been listing all the basic moves and new moves we have for our routine today taking bits out and discovered that we have no L-L moves!:eek: Weird. Can't think of any though.
Try a L-L catapult, that usually causes a few raised eyebrows :wink:

Donna
5th-April-2006, 11:11 AM

Oh yeah, something I've done before actually when demoing....really have to think about that one. Tried a left to left handed comb? Or maybe start a L-L pretzel? :eek:

drathzel
5th-April-2006, 11:33 AM

Thats fun more than anything!:D

robd
7th-April-2006, 04:15 PM
{Me eulogising about a R/H Archiespin}

Well, having posted that a couple of days ago I now find that my (self-perceived) improvement at this move has all but disappeared and attempts at performing it during Weds and Thurs nights dancing saw me all but fall over trying it. The curse of the forum has struck, it appears :tears:

God night at Bedford last night though. Always a bonus when you turn up and find Marc F is the (stand-in) teacher :nice: and not just because it means Rachel is likely to be in attendance too :grin:

Dazzler
25th-July-2006, 10:02 PM
As for the shoulder roll, well, it is a hard move regardless of which hand you use... What about the right-handed archiespin? I know most men hate it... though I suspect it is a feet problem rather than a hand one.

Franck.
Does anyone fancy enlightening me as to what these moves consist of? :nice:

whitetiger1518
26th-July-2006, 09:48 AM
I'm a left handed female, and although I love dancing with my right hand being led, I have less grip and feeling in my right hand.

I am therefore a willing victim for anyone in Glasgow that wants to practice L - L or even R - L (ladies left) - (if these exist??) moves.

Franck I think did a R - L (ladies left) side to side with me last night. and I didn't have to think about it at all, it was so easy and natural. My left is more responsive to a smaller lead than my right, so I was probably a little easier to lead on those moves too ...

:cheers:

Whitetiger

Stuart M
6th-August-2008, 12:33 PM
Anyone not answered this yet? Right-handers please answer (have to encourage them to avoid response bias, you see, as lefties are naturally inclined to respond in such polls: the current poll ratio is way out of kilter with the general population's 1 in 7 ratio)

Seeing as how this is a forum about dancing, I think the question of handedness is actually more interesting than age or ethnicity :whistle:

Dreadful Scathe
6th-August-2008, 01:18 PM
Seeing as how this is a forum about dancing, I think the question of handedness is actually more interesting than age or ethnicity :whistle:

In lieu of a marmite poll or "which smurf are you", probably THE most interesting :)

Gav
6th-August-2008, 01:20 PM
Anyone not answered this yet? Right-handers please answer (have to encourage them to avoid response bias, you see, as lefties are naturally inclined to respond in such polls

Is that because lefties are more anal? :na:

Stuart M
6th-August-2008, 02:13 PM
Well, it's either that or go round making right t*ts of ourselves all the time.

Stuart M
6th-August-2008, 03:11 PM
In lieu of a marmite poll or "which smurf are you", probably THE most interesting :)
Ah - then I must regrettably concede that this is merely the second most interesting poll on the Forum after this one (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/chit-chat/14252-marmite.html). And even then, this one (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/take-upstairs/2914-giant-smurf-hat-andy-mcgregor-streaking.html) may be in the hunt for second...

Double Trouble
6th-August-2008, 03:38 PM
anal

t*ts

Fanny

I don't get this game, but I think I'm winning.:D

Gav
6th-August-2008, 04:31 PM
Fanny

:rofl::rofl::rofl:If only I hadn't run out of rep :respect:

Trouble
6th-August-2008, 04:47 PM
Fanny

LOl rep on its way

note: must spread rep round a bit.... doh!

Rhythm King
6th-August-2008, 05:55 PM
Blimey, what with all the resurrections? Anybody would think it's Easter...

Dreadful Scathe
6th-August-2008, 10:50 PM
Blimey, what with all the resurrections? Anybody would think it's Easter...
how many times has that bunny been resurrected ?

Martin
7th-August-2008, 10:30 AM
Fanny

:rofl:

I am ambi - can use both hands.

Not really got a favorite - In baseball, catch with the left, throw with the right, in general ball games, catch with whatever hand is closest, throw with either hand. Writing, mostly right hand, but can also use left. On computer, mouse can be on left or right. Dancing, do not mind which hand I use, which helps with triples. :D

Daisy Chain
7th-August-2008, 12:22 PM

Only when stressed!

Daisy

PS See my first contribution to the coping with stress thread.

Dreadful Scathe
7th-August-2008, 12:41 PM
Only when stressed!

Daisy

PS See my first contribution to the coping with stress thread.
wheres your tagline?

(bloody forgetful little flower)

Daisy Chain
7th-August-2008, 12:52 PM
wheres your tagline?

Bu88er! Forgot it. Must be stressed.

Daisy

(A Tagged Little Flower)

Steven666
7th-August-2008, 01:35 PM
Thats fun more than anything!:D

I've been doing mirrored moves for a bit and can now lead the basics as fluidly as a follower can not resort to reverting back to normal. So not leading well enough yet!

David Bailey
7th-August-2008, 02:10 PM
Bu88er! Forgot it. Must be stressed.

Daisy

(A Tagged Little Flower)

Blimey, do you do that with every single post? :what:

David

An Unobservant Weed

Daisy Chain
8th-August-2008, 12:18 PM
Blimey, do you do that with every single post? :what:

Yes. And your point is?