PDA

View Full Version : Marital communication

JonD
2nd-March-2006, 04:20 PM
Phew, I'm glad that Tony has assured us (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4761194.stm) that Tessa Jowell is in the clear. Personally, I don't find it surprising that Tony expects me to understand that Mr Jowell didn't mention a gift of £344,000 to his wife for 4 years. After all, that sort of thing could easily slip your mind - even if your spouse is a politician. I am a bit surprised that Tessa didn't notice that the repayments on their joint £408,000 mortgage had suddenly dropped rather dramatically but I guess she doesn't reconcile their accounts very often.

People just don't seem to talk in marriages anymore. No wonder the divorce rate is so high.

Barry Shnikov
2nd-March-2006, 05:18 PM
Phew, I'm glad that Tony has assured us (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4761194.stm) that Tessa Jowell is in the clear. Personally, I don't find it surprising that Tony expects me to understand that Mr Jowell didn't mention a gift of £344,000 to his wife for 4 years. After all, that sort of thing could easily slip your mind - even if your spouse is a politician. I am a bit surprised that Tessa didn't notice that the repayments on their joint £408,000 mortgage had suddenly dropped rather dramatically but I guess she doesn't reconcile their accounts very often.

People just don't seem to talk in marriages anymore. No wonder the divorce rate is so high.

We haven't heard the last of this. Whether there has been a technical breach of the rather narrow code applying to ministers is no longer the issue. The issue is whether Mr and Mrs Jowell have been occupied in wholesale sidestepping of tax laws. Not to mention the difficulty of her staying on if her husband is shown to have been taking bribes and 'helping' Berlusconi out of murky waters by perjuring himself.

(And yes I know his name isn't Mr Jowell.)

David Bailey
2nd-March-2006, 05:32 PM
Phew, I'm glad that Tony has assured us (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4761194.stm) that Tessa Jowell is in the clear.
Yeah. If you can't trust the Prime Minister to objectively rule that his most trusted aide is, well, trustworthy, who can you trust?

Besides, £344K, that's nothing, I lose that much behind the sofa most days, such a trivial amount barely warrants mentioning.

It's a sad world we live in, true. :sad:

JonD
2nd-March-2006, 05:57 PM
We haven't heard the last of this.
I sincerely hope we haven't! This lot are starting to remind me of the Tories in the late 80s, early 90s.

Dear Mr Mills, I'm sorry I referred to you as Mr Jowell.

babycass77
2nd-March-2006, 09:41 PM

Please don't even go there! My husband changed his mind 6 weeks after we got married! Actually he disappeared within 2 weeks of getting married. I just took 6 weeks to take the hint :sad:

6 weeks of marriage and I still gotta wait 2 years :mad:

Baruch
4th-March-2006, 01:49 AM
I sincerely hope we haven't! This lot are starting to remind me of the Tories in the late 80s, early 90s.
It seems to me that this sort of thing happens when a party has been in power for too long. All the little nasty secrets come out of the woodwork.

That's not to say that the other parties are lily-white, either. It's just that the media aren't so interested in "exposing" someone who isn't in government.

David Bailey
4th-March-2006, 11:51 AM
Good grief - they've split up (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4773468.stm).

(Tessa and her hubby, that is - Tessa and Tony could never split up :innocent: )

JonD
4th-March-2006, 02:55 PM
It seems to me that this sort of thing happens when a party has been in power for too long
I agree - there seems to be a finite amount of time that politicians of whatever persuasion can keep their little trotters out of the cookie jar.

It appears that Tessa and Davey Boy haven't made the split permanent - a "period of separation" is referred to. If I was to be horribly cynical I'd suspect that their separation was a tactical ploy - but, in truth, I imagine it's real enough.

Tessa and Tony could never split up
Never, never, never - unless it's politically expedient!

Rhythm King
4th-March-2006, 04:57 PM

Starting to? There's been one scandal after another since they've been in and they have a habit of resurrecting the people involved, so they can do it all again!