PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma over Camber

stewart38
28th-February-2006, 11:32 AM
My friend has no days holiday left until April

He lives a good 3 hours drive from Camber

He is prepared to take a day of sick for camber but cant make his mind up whether he takes the Friday off and gets there early and settles in, then leaves late Sunday and gets home 3am and goes to work the next day

Or get there 10pm Friday and goes home after 6am on the Monday

He told me what if he is having a great time on sunday night maybe he could not sleep and go straight to work in the city but thats dangerous ?

He CANNOT take both days of too many 'sick days' already (Southport :whistle: )

Of course I've told him don’t take any sick days off :grin:

TiggsTours
28th-February-2006, 12:13 PM
My friend has no days holiday left until April

He lives a good 3 hours drive from Camber

He is prepared to take a day of sick for camber but cant make his mind up whether he takes the Friday off and gets there early and settles in, then leaves late Sunday and gets home 3am and goes to work the next day

Or get there 10pm Friday and goes home after 6am on the Monday

He told me what if he is having a great time on sunday night maybe he could not sleep and go straight to work in the city but thats dangerous ?

He CANNOT take both days of too many 'sick days' already (Southport :whistle: )

Of course I've told him don’t take any sick days off :grin:
Having been in this dilema myself, many times, I'd always say take the Monday off. It can take the first evening to warm yourself into it, but if you're having agood time on the Sunday (and he will, Sunday is always the best night), you really don't want to leave! Besides, you need Monday to recover, so its sort of like a genuine sickness!

Asif
28th-February-2006, 12:18 PM
Sick Days!! Perish the thought!! :whistle:

Having to choose, i would take a sickie on Monday. It doesn't really matter if you get there late on Friday 'cos you can always catch up. However, if you are enjoying yourself on Sunday evening - it's much harder to leave. And you can then have the rest of Monday to recover. :wink:

Funny story - one time at Camber i decided to leave on Sunday evening with a friend as we were both going to work on the Monday. We FINALLY left at around 2am, got a bit lost coming home, broke down along a road with no lights so it was pitch black, got towed home after waiting 4 hours for recovery to "find us", got home and quickly got changed and went off to work - we were absolutely knackered!! Never doing that again! :eek:

Northants Girly
28th-February-2006, 12:35 PM
The year before last, my friend and I had planned to set off late afternoon. However, there was an accident on the motorway and my friend got caught in the resulting traffic on her way to mine for hours :sad:

As a result we didn't set off from Northants until ~ 9 pm.

However, by the time we hit the M25 all the usual Friday aft/eve traffic had gone and it only took us just over 2 hours to get to Camber :what:
We were already showered and dressed for dancing so we checked in quickly (no queue!), threw are stuff into the chalet and were on the dance floor by 11.30pm :grin:

killingtime
28th-February-2006, 12:47 PM
I was half expecting this post to have been started by Gadget and it to say:

"It's my wife's birthday but I'd really like to go to Camber; which should I do?" :D

tsh
28th-February-2006, 12:49 PM
He should work the weekend to make up for the 'sick' days he's taken already.

Sean

JonD
28th-February-2006, 01:28 PM
I know that, as a capitalist exploiter of the masses (just not a very good one), I have an "axe to grind" but I think taking sickies is out of order. He can always apply for unpaid leave if he's used up his holiday entitlement.

Having said that, if I could only take one day off for a weekender then it would be the Monday. On Sunday everyone is "in the groove" and the dancing can be tremendous.

Cruella
28th-February-2006, 01:37 PM
I know that, as a capitalist exploiter of the masses (just not a very good one), I have an "axe to grind" but I think taking sickies is out of order. He can always apply for unpaid leave if he's used up his holiday entitlement.

Having said that, if I could only take one day off for a weekender then it would be the Monday. On Sunday everyone is "in the groove" and the dancing can be tremendous.
:yeah: I'm afraid i agree. I think he should go down after work on friday and leave sunday night to be in work on monday. He should've thought ahead and saved some holiday. It shows a real lack of integrity to even contemplate 'throwing a sickie'. Someone else is likely to have to work twice as hard to make up for him not being in work (depending on his job)
*steps off soapbox*

TiggsTours
28th-February-2006, 01:57 PM
:yeah: I'm afraid i agree. I think he should go down after work on friday and leave sunday night to be in work on monday. He should've thought ahead and saved some holiday. It shows a real lack of integrity to even contemplate 'throwing a sickie'. Someone else is likely to have to work twice as hard to make up for him not being in work (depending on his job)
*steps off soapbox*
Do agree with that, to a point, but he may have a job like my last one, where he's totally underpaid and unappreciated, working for a company who's only care in life is how much money they are making for their directors, and where good profits never lead to rewards for their hardworking staff, where they end up having to either work all the hours God sends, doing hours and days of unpaid overtime at a moments notice, being pressured into cancelling their own holiday, or even weekend plans, to meet a target that has suddenly been brought forward by 3 weeks, with no say whatsoever from the staff involved, and never being awarded for it, or spend days sitting twiddling their thumbs as there's no work to do, but heaven forbid they suggest taking a day in leiu to make up for those hours of unpaid overtime, or even unpaid leave. If this is the case, I think they're perfectly entitled to a sicky! Either that of they should do what I did, and leave.:grin:

Eleanor
28th-February-2006, 02:05 PM
cant make his mind up whether he takes the Friday off

Definitely take Monday off. Sunday night is always one of the best nights and Friday doesn't tend to get going until 10PM anyway, so plenty of time to get there after work!

Northants Girly
28th-February-2006, 02:11 PM
The year before last, my friend and I had planned to set off late afternoon. However, there was an accident on the motorway and my friend got caught in the resulting traffic on her way to mine for hours :sad:

As a result we didn't set off from Northants until ~ 9 pm.

However, by the time we hit the M25 all the usual Friday aft/eve traffic had gone and it only took us just over 2 hours to get to Camber :what:
We were already showered and dressed for dancing so we checked in quickly (no queue!), threw are stuff into the chalet and were on the dance floor by 11.30pm :grin:
and I forgot to say - even though we didn't arrive till well after 11pm we still found somewhere to park :D

CJ
28th-February-2006, 02:13 PM
Do agree with that, to a point, but he may have a job like my last one, where he's totally underpaid and unappreciated, working for a company who's only care in life is how much money they are making for their directors, and where good profits never lead to rewards for their hardworking staff, where they end up having to either work all the hours God sends, doing hours and days of unpaid overtime at a moments notice, being pressured into cancelling their own holiday, or even weekend plans, to meet a target that has suddenly been brought forward by 3 weeks, with no say whatsoever from the staff involved, and never being awarded for it, or spend days sitting twiddling their thumbs as there's no work to do, but heaven forbid they suggest taking a day in leiu to make up for those hours of unpaid overtime, or even unpaid leave. If this is the case, I think they're perfectly entitled to a sicky! Either that of they should do what I did, and leave.:grin:

So...

Be straight, honest and act with integrity: leave.

Don't leave your workmates even more in the mire with your own selfish hedonism.

Seahorse
28th-February-2006, 02:31 PM
sorry, but I'd think about the job first and my priorities.

go down fri and come sunday.

under par
28th-February-2006, 02:40 PM
you could attend friday evening at 10pm and not actually miss any dancing :what: so its SICKO on monday for me :cheers: given the choice!!

Lynn
28th-February-2006, 02:51 PM
I've never taken a 'sickie' from work and in fact I'm not even too keen on taking time off if I am sick if I know someone is relying on me for a certain job (and also aware that it affects your sick record). I only don't go in when I know I really can't function effectively (or if I have a cold and don't want to pass it on!)

I suppose though if someone asks for a days unpaid leave and they say no then its very obvious if they call in sick.

I can sympathise - my leave allowance isn't great and I need to use some of it for voluntary work, but they do let me take the occasional day on time 'in lieu' which helps for weekenders.

WittyBird
28th-February-2006, 02:54 PM
Something your 'friend' might want to consider.

If you are posting from work then your IT guys can see what you spend your day doing.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out who your 'friend' might be and hence your 'friends' boss may already know what his plans are.

My only advice is , if you like your job be very damn careful :eek:

LMC
28th-February-2006, 02:59 PM
Rather than asking myself whether it was the "right" thing to do, I would be asking myself why I felt the need for someone else to validate my decision to steal from my employer - because if time = money, theft is effectively what you are proposing. It's a matter of personal conscience.

EDIT: Spending all day on the forum is different of course :rofl:

TiggsTours
28th-February-2006, 03:32 PM
So...

Don't leave your workmates even more in the mire with your own selfish hedonism.
I did. :grin:

And taking time off never left my workmates in any trouble at all, if I wasn't there, my work didn't get done, simple as that. I have to add, I didn't actually take any sickies while I was there, and certainly not for a dance weekender, but, with the way they treated their staff, I'm sure plenty of people did, and I never felt upset at them for it, and wouldn't have felt at all bad about the idea of taking time, I'd have seen it as time they owed me.

TiggsTours
28th-February-2006, 03:35 PM
Rather than asking myself whether it was the "right" thing to do, I would be asking myself why I felt the need for someone else to validate my decision to steal from my employer - because if time = money, theft is effectively what you are proposing. It's a matter of personal conscience.

EDIT: Spending all day on the forum is different of course :rofl:
Absolutely, but if you do unpaid overtime, surely your employer is stealing your personal time from you? Why is that acceptable when stealing time from your employer isn't?

LMC
28th-February-2006, 03:45 PM
I only do unpaid overtime through choice - if it gets to the point where it's a necessity and I can't take the time in lieu then I change jobs.

There is a bit of a difference between me making up time I spend doing personal stuff (or on here :blush: ) and being "absent" - and therefore unavailable even to take phone calls.

under par
28th-February-2006, 04:03 PM
Everyone should stop moralising.!:angry:

Its a British tradition to throw a sickie occasionally and so it should be.:clap:

We work longer hours per week than most other EU countries and we don't get half as many bank holidays either.:yeah:

Just take what you are owed after years of slogging your guts out.:cheers:

Make sure you use it wisely to do as much dancing as possible.:yeah:

TiggsTours
28th-February-2006, 04:17 PM
I only do unpaid overtime through choice - if it gets to the point where it's a necessity and I can't take the time in lieu then I change jobs.

There is a bit of a difference between me making up time I spend doing personal stuff (or on here :blush: ) and being "absent" - and therefore unavailable even to take phone calls.

:yeah: But I'm not saying when its a necessity, I'm talking about when its expected, and not appreciated!

Its a British tradition to throw a sickie occasionally and so it should be.:clap:

We work longer hours per week than most other EU countries and we don't get half as many bank holidays either.:yeah:

Just take what you are owed after years of slogging your guts out.:cheers:

Make sure you use it wisely to do as much dancing as possible.:yeah:

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

Clive Long
28th-February-2006, 04:38 PM
Absolutely, but if you do unpaid overtime, surely your employer is stealing your personal time from you? Why is that acceptable when stealing time from your employer isn't?
:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

Although I only once chucked a sickie and my boss saw straight through :cough: :cough: :wheeze: :sniffle: .

She was worth it though.

Ahh, happy, distant memories.

CRL

Aren't there statuatory limits on the number of hours worked without a break? What ever happened to "Lunch time"? Trampy?

El Salsero Gringo
28th-February-2006, 05:21 PM
Something your 'friend' might want to consider.

If you are posting from work then your IT guys can see what you spend your day doing.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out who your 'friend' might be and hence your 'friends' boss may already know what his plans are.

My only advice is , if you like your job be very damn careful :eek:On the other hand, unless your company has a clearly written policy that you have been made aware of, it would be unlawful for them to intercept your communications - including postings on the Forum. So they had better be very damn careful who they tell what to.

Moreover (speaking as an former IT guy) I guess they probably have more interesting, exciting and productive things to do than to spy on Stewart.

stewart38
28th-February-2006, 05:34 PM

Agree

I didnt think Id get a 'moral issue' and the hypocracy is amazing :mad: :mad:

Anyone who is on here and at work is STEALING time from the company if you want to go down that silly route do so and NEVER post again while at work

As my friend isnt part of a 2 man tug of war team he wont be 'missed' and the 74,999 other staff will not 'miss' him anyway. he knows what work he has to do

If a company doesnt offer flex or decent holiday entitlement my friend has no MORAL issue what so ever in taking the odd sick day (about 2 a year). In fact he tells me the company before offered an additional 13 flex days and 4 holidays so he is down 17days. why did he move knowing this ,loads more money :blush:

some forward thinking companies promote them as Duvet days

people who never have sick days in 20yrs tend to drop dead the day after they leave

stewart38
28th-February-2006, 05:35 PM
So...

are you at work now ??

LMC
28th-February-2006, 05:45 PM
I didnt think Id get a 'moral issue' and the hypocracy is amazing :mad: :mad:
Heh heh, my work here is done :innocent:

Seriously, if "your friend" is going to call sick anyway, then why bother asking? - JFDI!

I wouldn't, because knowing my luck, I'd get caught - but if you won't be missed :shrug:

TheTramp
28th-February-2006, 05:49 PM
but if you won't be missed :shrug:

Surely you mean, "your friend" won't be missed.... :rolleyes:

stewart38
28th-February-2006, 06:02 PM
Heh heh, my work here is done :innocent:

Seriously, if "your friend" is going to call sick anyway, then why bother asking? - JFDI!

I wouldn't, because knowing my luck, I'd get caught - but if you won't be missed :shrug:

My friend if you read the thread didnt head it

the moral issue of taking a day off

It was what day was better

now its 5.000000000pm and 4 secs im off

El Salsero Gringo
28th-February-2006, 07:12 PM
I didnt think Id get a 'moral issue':rofl: What, had you forgotten this is the Ceroc Scotland Forum????
and the hypocracy is amazing :mad: :mad:double-:rofl: heee heee heee !

Lynn
28th-February-2006, 08:35 PM
Anyone who is on here and at work is STEALING time from the company if you want to go down that silly route do so and NEVER post again while at workOr talk on the phone to a friend (even if they ring you), or stop to chat to a colleague on the way past their desk, or even work at a slower rate than you really could. There is a balance between the employer getting every last second of work out of someone, and totally skiving, doing about 33 mins of work a day.

The main thing is getting your work done, well and on time, to the best of your ability (with conflicting priorities its not always possible). And if productivity is aided by little breaks, then that works.:grin:

stewart38
28th-February-2006, 09:04 PM
Or talk on the phone to a friend (even if they ring you), or stop to chat to a colleague on the way past their desk, or even work at a slower rate than you really could. There is a balance between the employer getting every last second of work out of someone, and totally skiving, doing about 33 mins of work a day.

:grin:

I did 35 mins of 'work' today :yeah:

DavidB
28th-February-2006, 09:23 PM
???

The thought of taking a day's holiday for a dance weekend has never occured to me.

Spin dryer
28th-February-2006, 09:28 PM
I agree with the majority view that it's better to take Monday off and arrive late on Friday. That's what I'll be doing. Sunday night is definitely the best night.

I was at Camber in November and it was only starting to warm up when I arrived around 10pm. However, on that occasion, I didn't take the Monday off and drove back with Les Snell and Steve Barnes at 4am, got into bed at 6.30am and got up to go to work at 7.30am! I was hobbling round the office as though I'd been run over by a steam roller. Dancing is my dirty little secret (at work) and all the guys assumed that I'd been engaged in a particularly rough game of rugby.

spindr
28th-February-2006, 09:39 PM
Gosh, what a great opportunity for blackmail :devil:

SpinDr.

Petal
28th-February-2006, 09:58 PM
:

But in the 21st century it's Americanised, and it's a "Duvet" day, and you're allowed "****" duvet days in a working year.:what:

Asif
1st-March-2006, 12:06 PM
... I would be asking myself why I felt the need for someone else to validate my decision to steal from my employer - because if time = money, theft is effectively what you are proposing.

Where is used to work, i never took a sick day during my 7+ years there. That was mainly becuase i actually really liked my job and would feel guilty about taking sick days (i even used to go into work while i was feeling ill - not a good thing because all you end up doing is feeling even worse and possibly spreading around what you've got too).

However, in my last job, i was paid less, worked more hours (regularly at least 9-10 hours a day with NO breaks) because the company was so disorganised. Work hours could be a bit flexible (come in late or leave early) but if i wanted to leave early to go on a weekender, i would have to take half days holiday!! So, if i felt that i had put in loads of extra hours the week before, i would not feel guilty about taking a sicky (didn't matter cos no-one else did my work and it just waited for me to get back).

Hear Hear ..... to the overworked and unappreciated (not even working at the moment so can take as many days off as i want :D )

under par
1st-March-2006, 12:09 PM
Hear Hear ..... to the overworked and unappreciated (not even working at the moment so can take as many days off as i want :D )

Well said "Sicknote" .................................................y ou have heard what they call you now? ..................... you haven't! ................................. Sorry!

Hope you are getting back to full fitness now:hug:

stewart38
1st-March-2006, 12:41 PM
???

The thought of taking a day's holiday for a dance weekend has never occured to me.

So if you have a 5hr drive to say Southport (with good traffic) what do you do ?

Just get there on saturday and go home early sunday or take errrr a sick day ??

god my friend is feeling guilty now, he didnt before :sad:

Ghost
1st-March-2006, 04:29 PM
Just a thought. If your friend actually was ill on Friday, would it not be reasonable for them still to be sick on Monday? So if they took 2 sick days off they could enjoy the whole weekend.

Be Well,
Christopher

Lynn
1st-March-2006, 04:31 PM
Just a thought. If your friend actually was ill on Friday, would it not be reasonable for them still to be sick on Monday? So if they took 2 sick days off they could enjoy the whole weekend. And the Tuesday as well to recover - oh and the Thursday to pack. Now why didn't I think of that? :rofl:

Ghost
1st-March-2006, 04:55 PM
And the Tuesday as well to recover - oh and the Thursday to pack. Now why didn't I think of that? :rofl:
:wink: The recovery point's a valid one though. Depends entirely what you do for a living, but if someone had been dancing all weekend, driven 5 hours and then got up in the morning to come to work, I'd hope they weren't doing anything dangerous or important. :blush:

It depends on Stewert's boss, but I'd be inclined to go have an informal chat along the lines of "Sorry I messed up my holiday allocation. It'll never happen again and I'll do unpaid overtime to make up the difference".

Take care,
Christopher

WittyBird
1st-March-2006, 05:08 PM
It depends on Stewert's boss,

Oh is his friend called Stewart as well ? :rolleyes:

Ghost
1st-March-2006, 05:57 PM
It depends on Stewert's boss,

Oh is his friend called Stewart as well ? :rolleyes:
Different spelling though, so obviously a different person....:innocent:

I'm assuming (possibly wrongly) that because Stewart knows how many people are in his friend's company

74,999 other staff will not 'miss' him anyway that they work in the same company. Obviously his friend is concerned about the IT guys catching on, so he's cunningly gotten Stuart to pose the question. Doubtless Stewart will turn up to work on both Friday and Monday bright eyed and bushy tailed. :whistle:

Nice tag line by the way :rofl:

Dance in beauty,
Christopher

DavidB
1st-March-2006, 08:46 PM
So if you have a 5hr drive to say Southport (with good traffic) what do you do ? Just get there on saturday and go home early sunday or take errrr a sick day ??For Camber/Bognor, I go on Friday night, arrive about midnight, go to bed. I teach Saturday, dance saturday night*, teach Sunday morning, and go home in the aft/evening.

I'm self employed, so if I don't work I don't get paid. A sickie is the same as a holiday for me, and I'd far rather have a day's pay.

I don't go to Southport any more.

David

*At least I don't have to worry about the cabaret any more

stewart38
1st-March-2006, 11:27 PM
For Camber/Bognor, I go on Friday night, arrive about midnight, go to bed. I teach Saturday, dance saturday night*, teach Sunday morning, and go home in the aft/evening.

I'm self employed, so if I don't work I don't get paid. A sickie is the same as a holiday for me, and I'd far rather have a day's pay.

I don't go to Southport any more.

David

*At least I don't have to worry about the cabaret any more

so totally irrelvant then :rofl:

Lynn
2nd-March-2006, 12:34 AM
Depends entirely what you do for a living, but if someone had been dancing all weekend, driven 5 hours and then got up in the morning to come to work, I'd hope they weren't doing anything dangerous or important. :blush: Twice I've danced all weekend, got up, walked to the train station, got train then bus to airport, flight home, drive home from airport - then give a 2 hour lecture. :what: Not dangerous...possibly not important either. :rolleyes: I try to avoid having to do that if I can though - but several times I have had an important work or voluntary work related meeting on the Monday night that I need to be at. (Eg this Monday) I try to stay awake...

Ghost
2nd-March-2006, 01:37 AM
I try to stay awake...
Good luck :clap:

I kinda got my pronouns (*) confused sorry :blush: . My concern is whether Stewart's friend is doing anything potentially dangerous or important.

Hope you have a great weekend,
Christopher

* I'm tired; if it's adverbs or something my apologies to the pedants. :flower:

stewart38
2nd-March-2006, 12:42 PM
that they work in the same company. Obviously his friend is concerned about the IT guys catching on, so he's cunningly gotten Stuart to pose the question. Doubtless Stewart will turn up to work on both Friday and Monday bright eyed and bushy tailed. :whistle:

Ok we have Stewart and Stuart

It depends on Stewert's boss, but I'd be inclined to go have an informal chat along the lines of "Sorry I messed up my holiday allocation. It'll never happen again and I'll do unpaid overtime to make up the difference".

Stewert's who the f*** is stewert, for 24 years .......etc

ps what does 'paid over time mean' :what:

Ghost
2nd-March-2006, 06:47 PM
Stewert's who the f*** is stewert, for 24 years .......etc
The 'e' is next to the 'r' and I typed too fast sorry :flower:

www.stewerttaylor.com/
See, nowadays every variation of a name exists.

ps what does 'paid over time mean' :what:
If you have to ask, then it means your friend is probably beginning to feel sick even as you read this - he'd better take some time off work to recover. :whistle:

Seriously though, sorry about getting the name wrong

Be Well, eh um, actually maybe Dance in beauty might be better in this case :wink:

Christopher

djtrev
2nd-March-2006, 08:53 PM
If he is that keen on having an enjoyable weekend and not having to clockwatch on the Sunday,might I suggest arriving late on Friday and as he obviously has a well paid job take an unpaid day off on the Monday.

stewart38
3rd-March-2006, 10:30 AM
The 'e' is next to the 'r' and I typed too fast sorry :flower:

www.stewerttaylor.com/
See, nowadays every variation of a name exists.

If you have to ask, then it means your friend is probably beginning to feel sick even as you read this - he'd better take some time off work to recover. :whistle:

Seriously though, sorry about getting the name wrong

Be Well, eh um, actually maybe Dance in beauty might be better in this case :wink:

Christopher

It was a joke :sick:

Re the song Alice , have rep anyway :flower:

Funny thing is

His collegue was ill yesterday and is off sick today and another collegue is sneezing so he could be ill anyway

The serious point to this he will prob work anyway