PDA

View Full Version : Social Calendar

killingtime
25th-February-2006, 06:01 PM
It might not be new to anyone else but I was playing around with Upcoming.org (http://upcoming.org/), a social events calendar. I suppose I thought something along the lines of "Hey, Ceroc is a social event!".

Anyway so I created a Modern Jive group for MJ like events in it and stuck a Red Hot and Blue event in it (it's in Edinburgh if you wanted to find it another way). I was going to add more events as well; I'm sure I'll get around to it. After all at the moment I add an event to iCal anyway and I can just add it to this and get an iCal feed. It seems pretty nifty; I'll try adding a few more events for Edinburgh and see how it goes. I figured if the organisers of said events are interested they can just go right ahead and start adding there own events.

I thought this seems a little geeky hence why I stuck it in the geek's corner; and it isn't a social event per say... more of a different way of announcing them. I think it's called a pull method.

I'd be interested in seeing what others think about listing events this way. Though I know that this is kinda moving away from the forum.

ducasi
25th-February-2006, 06:16 PM
I was thinking of doing something like this myself, but this looks like it might work...

Does it do both push and pull? (In other words, can I publish an ical calendar on it, as well as subscribing to one of its ical feeds?)

killingtime
25th-February-2006, 06:34 PM
I was thinking of doing something like this myself, but this looks like it might work...

Does it do both push and pull? (In other words, can I publish an ical calendar on it, as well as subscribing to one of its ical feeds?)

Doesn't look like. You have to add the event to it but you can fetch that event in iCal and only one person needs to put it in everyone else can just add it (see Dance Fever for example :D).

ducasi
25th-February-2006, 06:44 PM
Hmm... Don't fancy re-entering all my ical entries for the next few months... Considering publishing my calendar though...

(You & L coming to Dance Fever? I'm looking forward to it – if it's half as much fun as last time, it'll still be twice as much fun than I deserve.)

killingtime
27th-February-2006, 11:11 AM
(You & L coming to Dance Fever? I'm looking forward to it – if it's half as much fun as last time, it'll still be twice as much fun than I deserve.)

We are :D. I even added it to the Modern Jive (http://upcoming.org/group/1375/) calendar :).

killingtime
27th-February-2006, 05:03 PM
Hmm... Don't fancy re-entering all my ical entries for the next few months... Considering publishing my calendar though...

You probably don't need to... Franck has put in most of the upcoming Ceroc events :D. I noticed (about the iCal thing) that the API and a wee bit of scripting might well allow you to publish events straight from iCal but I haven't looked into it.

ducasi
27th-February-2006, 05:20 PM
Cool, and even cooler – I see we're getting another visit from Amir to Aberdeen! :waycool:

Just need to get John, Heather & Lindsay to put in some of their events and we'll have most of Scotland covered.

(Apart from the Leroc folks, but we don't seem to talk about them...)

ducasi
27th-February-2006, 05:22 PM
Oh, and "... a wee bit of scripting ..." :rofl:

killingtime
28th-February-2006, 11:17 AM
Just need to get John, Heather & Lindsay to put in some of their events and we'll have most of Scotland covered.

I'll probably stick up a few for Lindsay (since I'm probably attending them) and John. I already put up the next Red Hot & Blue and Dance Fever :clap:.

Oh, and "... a wee bit of scripting ..."

I'm sure it isn't a trivial task but at the same time it probably isn't that difficult. The API is right there (http://upcoming.org/services/api/) if you fancy having a go :na:.

ducasi
28th-February-2006, 02:40 PM
OK, I didn't see the API before... Probably still more bother than it's worth for the few non-recuring events that I have...

(Do you think we should allow any other folks to post on this thread? ;))

LMC
28th-February-2006, 05:29 PM
You two are so cute :hug:

shame this thread is in Geeks Corner :( - otherwise I'd streak through it :devil:

killingtime
28th-February-2006, 05:40 PM

shame this thread is in Geeks Corner :( - otherwise I'd streak through it :devil:

It's not that geeky a thread. It's about using tools online to get a good overview of what's happening in the dance world and reduce the amount of redundant data entry we do when registering for events.

I was thinking about posting something to the Social Events section. I might just start linking every time I mention an event though :D.

I do think that Upcoming needs a group to area filter though. At the moment it is fine (Modern Jive just has Scottish events in) but if we had all the events in the UK in it would probably look very busy. Worse still if some people in Perth, Australia stick in events and people from the states. I'm sure they might get around to it soon.

ducasi
28th-February-2006, 06:19 PM

OK, I take it back, we shouldn't have allowed other people to post here. :(

killingtime
1st-March-2006, 10:13 AM
OK, I take it back, we shouldn't have allowed other people to post here. :(

Maybe Franck will remove the post if we ask nicely :na:?

ducasi
1st-March-2006, 10:19 AM
Maybe LMC will take it back if we give her a hard stare. :angry:

Or just stick our tongues out at her? :na:

LMC
1st-March-2006, 10:39 AM
Nah, I still think you're cute :hug: :flower: :general fluffiness:

:na:

ducasi
1st-March-2006, 12:51 PM
So you added anything to the calendar yet LMC? ;)

killingtime
1st-March-2006, 02:20 PM
So you added anything to the calendar yet LMC? ;)

If she has she has forgotten to put them into Modern Jive :D.

killingtime
13th-April-2006, 01:24 PM
Grrrr... though the iCal file works with ummm iCal it doesn't work with Google Calendar. Which means I either need to copy the events again or (the likely option since I'm lazy) wait until the file is fixed or Google Calendar is fixed.

*sigh*

drathzel
13th-April-2006, 11:28 PM
is this only a scottish thing or can anyone look at it, post on it? how do people find it if they arent on this thread?:confused:

killingtime
18th-April-2006, 10:56 AM
is this only a scottish thing or can anyone look at it, post on it? how do people find it if they arent on this thread?:confused:

Well it can be found through upcoming.org. I've got a link for it from my blog but since I never update any more then I doubt anyone visits that. It's not a Scottish only thing but only Scottish events are on it at the moment (hey, I live there).

I could also go through the hassle again and set up a Google calendar one instead but lots of events in different areas would probably get very confusing in that case.

killingtime
28th-April-2006, 01:40 PM
I could also go through the hassle again and set up a Google calendar one instead but lots of events in different areas would probably get very confusing in that case.

Yippie! It does work with Google Calendar now. All my social events in one area; it's like having a little book that you take around with you. Joy!