PDA

View Full Version : Tango Shoes!

Msfab
24th-February-2006, 07:24 PM
Ok here you go Girls and Boys!
Tell us all about your Tango shoes wants, needs, gots! :rolleyes:

I can follow and lead (a little mj/jango/ceroc)

Lynn
24th-February-2006, 07:27 PM
:clap:

(I was just about to do it myself!)

I'm currently finding my Freed Marissa shoes very suitable for Tango.

I'm resisting the temptation to buy another pair of dance shoes (OK, there isn't really any temptation, I have no money at the moment!).

Think I might wear the red pair tonight. :D

jivecat
24th-February-2006, 09:15 PM
Hmm. I wonder if I'll be able to dance in 3 and a half inch stilettoes?

Only other question, should they be black and shiny or red and shiny?

Werner Kern do some nice ones. *Sigh.*

philsmove
24th-February-2006, 11:15 PM
:clap:
I'm currently finding my Freed Marissa shoes very suitable for Tango.

Think I might wear the red pair tonight. :D
:yeah:

But had to abandon the stilettos

OK to be honest I’m having trouble with Cuban’s

And I can’t find red ones in my size

Minnie M
24th-February-2006, 11:33 PM
......... Tango shoes......
:yeah: love the shoes:worthy: but not with that dress :sick:

frodo
24th-February-2006, 11:52 PM

.. Pic ..

I can follow and lead (a little mj/jango/ceroc)

H'mmm - I thought real tango shoes were more likely to do damage than sustain damage.

( As in closed toe ).

Lynn
25th-February-2006, 01:39 AM
Think I might wear the red pair tonight. :DI did and was asked by someone 'Are they tango shoes?'. OK it was a guy but he has been dancing tango for a couple of years.

Jivecat, I was drooling* over the Werner Kern ones at Scarborough till my friend came over with a 'put down the shoes and step away from the table' sort of look:rofl: (she knows I can't afford any at the moment!)

*Obviously not literally, that would have made them rather soggy.

Yliander
25th-February-2006, 01:43 AM

I can follow and lead (a little mj/jango/ceroc) Ooooooooo they are SO pretty :drool:

Dazzle
25th-February-2006, 10:50 AM
Here is a link you may find useful for all things Tango related! A Full Tangology if you like! :flower:

The Tango Shop (http://www.thetangoshop.com/)

philsmove
25th-February-2006, 12:05 PM
Here is a link you may find useful for all things Tango related! A Full Tangology if you like! :flower:

Some very good instructional clips from the DVDS

http://www.thetangoshop.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=38

jivecat
25th-February-2006, 12:06 PM

Dazzle, how could you do this to us?? I could spend my entire month's salary on there in about 10 minutes!

What's $120 in proper money?

philsmove
26th-February-2006, 03:04 PM

Has anyone used them?
Their on line order does not seem to cope with Non UK customers

philsmove
26th-February-2006, 03:06 PM
Dazzle, how could you do this to us?? I could spend my entire month's salary on there in about 10 minutes!

£68.74
http://www.translatum.gr/converter/currency.htm

jivecat
26th-February-2006, 04:11 PM
£68.74
http://www.translatum.gr/converter/currency.htm

That's about £7 cheaper than a pair of Werner Kerns, then!

Dazzle
26th-February-2006, 06:37 PM

JC always happy to wave temptation in front of a ladies wardrobe! :wink:

The site says it ships worldwide and accepts major credit cards. But have to say haven't used them myself. A friend has and said she didn't have too much trouble, she didn't say she had a problem anyway.

Zebra Woman
9th-March-2006, 07:17 PM
I just love this photograph from the tangoalfresco website :drool:

Very sexy even though the shoes aren't that fancy. Maybe it's not the shoes it's those :drool: ankes.... mmmm

Less is more IMO. :wink:

jivecat
9th-March-2006, 07:20 PM
I just love this photograph from the tangoalfresco website :drool:

Very sexy even though the shoes aren't that fancy.

Less is more IMO. :wink:

Yeah, absolutely bloody gorgeous. Bet they play her bunions up summat rotten, though. And I'm not at all sure about those white capri trousers.

Zebra Woman
9th-March-2006, 07:24 PM
Yeah, absolutely bloody gorgeous. Bet they play her bunions up summat rotten, though. And I'm not at all sure about those white capri trousers.

If anyone can get away with white capri trousers :really:

I think she can :worthy:

Lou
9th-March-2006, 07:26 PM

I wish I'd never clicked that link. Oh god. I'm in love. :drool: :tears: :tears: :drool:

jivecat
9th-March-2006, 07:33 PM
Maybe it's not the shoes it's those :drool: ankes.... mmmm

ANYONE'S ankles would look good in heels that high! They'd make even an elephant look deliciously fragile.

Err.....how much were they?

Zebra Woman
9th-March-2006, 07:41 PM
ANYONE'S ankles would look good in heels that high! They'd make even an elephant look deliciously fragile.

Err.....how much were they?

Do you know Heather, I am thinking the opposite....

Those ankles would look good in anything....

School plimsols, bare feet, even a pair of 'Reef' sandals :rofl:

http://www.sandalsuperstore.com/shopping/products/06_reef_sandals_convertible_0675.asp

Lynn
23rd-April-2006, 09:47 PM
Our Tango teacher has been encouraging the women to get tango shoes by offering to order for anyone who wants from the supplier she has shoes from. She brought printed pages from their website with colour pictures and prices and sheets of paper for us to draw round our feet for sizes. All very good and it looks like a good range of shoes (and she was able to show us her pair which she says are very comfy). But I didn't order any and I wondered why, I'm usually keen enough to buy dance shoes. (Though I really like to try them on first).

I've just been looking at the website for the shoes (as I noticed the name at the bottom of the print outs) and I realised why I was reluctant to order - I think it was simply because a quick glance at a page in the last 5 mins after a class is not enough time for thinking, imagining outfits and deciding which pair out of various lovely shoes.

I am such a girl sometimes!:rofl:

Feelingpink
24th-April-2006, 08:32 AM
Well, perhaps you could get Clive to help you when you're in London. He seems to be the new expect in choosing dance shoes. :wink:

Lucy Locket
24th-April-2006, 09:33 AM
I have tried to cater for everyone with my new venture
www.seksidancewear.com

there are some 3 1/2" heeled shoes.

Anyone is more than welcome to come up & try some on or if i'm at a venue in London can always bring some with me.

CeeCee
1st-March-2007, 12:40 PM
I’ve seen many Comme Il Faut shoes and admired them from afar. They always look pretty but I’d assumed that the wearer must be a shallow, frivolous, fickle female prepared to compromise comfort for beauty.

Last night I tried on a pair.

OMG!!!

They felt gorgeous.
They looked gorgeous.
How did I feel? Gorgeous.
I didn’t want to take them off.
I wanted to wear them forever.
The beautiful dark red velvet should be mine.

Now I know why they have such a reputation. I didn’t buy them, I’ve spent too much money recently and I can’t afford them.

However, they are worth the wait and one day…

JonD
1st-March-2007, 12:58 PM
Resistance is futile; buy them, buy them. Eating can wait, dance shoes can't. You know it's the truth ....

You should go to the shop - imagine yourself surrounded by Comme Il Faut shoes with assistants bringing more and more at your command. A buckle like this, a strap like that, a heel like that, this colour but half a tone lighter .... it can go on for hours.

(But don't have wide feet - they had nothing for Julie last time we were there and, to be frank, the assistants were rather short and disinterested compared to how they were the year before. I do hope that success isn't tainting their attitude to their customers. I was ignored completely but that's what men should expect in that shop; we're totally superfluous!)

Lynn
1st-March-2007, 01:34 PM
I’ve seen many Comme Il Faut shoes and admired them from afar. They always look pretty but I’d assumed that the wearer must be a shallow, frivolous, fickle female prepared to compromise comfort for beauty.

Last night I tried on a pair.

OMG!!!

They felt gorgeous.
They looked gorgeous.
How did I feel? Gorgeous.
I didn’t want to take them off.
I wanted to wear them forever.
The beautiful dark red velvet should be mine.

Now I know why they have such a reputation. I didn’t buy them, I’ve spent too much money recently and I can’t afford them.

Where? Where?

I've never even seen a pair, they don't seem to be available to buy over the internet (part of the exclusivity?). Is there someone in London that sells them? Should I make a detour on my next visit?

David Bailey
1st-March-2007, 03:18 PM
Where? Where?
Southgate - see here:
http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/347619-post1146.html

CeeCee
1st-March-2007, 04:25 PM
Resistance is futile; buy them, buy them.
I know you're right, I know you're right but I've only been learning Tango for 58 weeks and three days, so surely I'm not worthy.
Comme Il Faut aren't just any shoes. Now I understand why they are the shoes,

Where? Where?

I've never even seen a pair, they don't seem to be available to buy over the internet (part of the exclusivity?). Is there someone in London that sells them? Should I make a detour on my next visit?
Yes their website is amusing isn't it? They advertise the shoes for sale with a written description but no pictures. Who buys shoes without seeing what they look like? That's just weird.

The lady last night had about 16 pairs of scrumptious creations for sale, all different colours, styles, patterns, straps, heels, lace, fur and leathers. She's planning to distribute all over London, so brace yourself Lynn and prepare to be overwhelmed.

Lynn
1st-March-2007, 04:39 PM
The lady last night had about 16 pairs of scrumptious creations for sale, all different colours, styles, patterns, straps, heels, lace, fur and leathers. She's planning to distribute all over London, so brace yourself Lynn and prepare to be overwhelmed.Yum.

I'm not worthy either, but I don't care. I want a pair.

I'll start saving now then....

Feelingpink
1st-March-2007, 04:49 PM
I know you're right, I know you're right but I've only been learning Tango for 58 weeks and three days, so surely I'm not worthy.
Comme Il Faut aren't just any shoes. Now I understand why they are the shoes,

Yes their website is amusing isn't it? They advertise the shoes for sale with a written description but no pictures. Who buys shoes without seeing what they look like? That's just weird.

The lady last night had about 16 pairs of scrumptious creations for sale, all different colours, styles, patterns, straps, heels, lace, fur and leathers. She's planning to distribute all over London, so brace yourself Lynn and prepare to be overwhelmed.Where????????? Although I have wide feet, so am also preparing myself to be disappointed, after Jon's post. :sad: One of the US web sites that sells their shoes says the manufacturers ask they not display images, so perhaps they are trying to avoid others copying their designs?

Lynn
1st-March-2007, 04:55 PM
One of the US web sites that sells their shoes says the manufacturers ask they not display images, so perhaps they are trying to avoid others copying their designs?Yes, that's what I meant about not being able to buy them on the internet - the lack of pictures. I want to see what they look like before purchasing. Actually I want to try them on before purchasing. Try them on, fall in love with them, be tempted to purchase, succumb to that tempation and have them put into my hand, as my new shoes.

There's more to buying dance shoes than clicking a few buttons...

Feelingpink
1st-March-2007, 05:01 PM
Yes, that's what I meant about not being able to buy them on the internet - the lack of pictures. I want to see what they look like before purchasing. Actually I want to try them on before purchasing. Try them on, fall in love with them, be tempted to purchase, succumb to that tempation and have them put into my hand, as my new shoes.

There's more to buying dance shoes than clicking a few buttons...Yes. I've just spend three days on a trade stand showing bespoke photograph albums - and loads of people signed up to be customers once they had a chance to stroke them, but wouldn't have done that on-line. And shoes have to fit you ... (sigh).

JonD
1st-March-2007, 05:08 PM
I want a pair
That's true "Tango Follower thinking"! I don't think CeeCee mentioned the lovely satin shoe bags they come with - a separate compartment for you to slip each shoe into at each end and a ribbon to tie the ends together to carry them.

I've only been learning Tango for 58 weeks and three days
And you've probably done as much in that time, and learnt more, than I have in the 254 weeks 5 days since my addiction started. You're more than good enough to wear any AT shoes ever created.

Ladies, you should also explore the world of NeoTango (http://www.neotangoshoes.com/ingles.htm) and Darcos (http://www.darcostango.com/shoes.php?ln=en&p=uk&pg=1) shoes. They aren't Comme Il Faut but they are very, very good. (And they're a damn site cheaper to buy in BsAs than on those websites - my men's Darcos cost £32 - they're €125 on that site!)

You know where this is leading don't you? Yes, it's time for you all to start checking out details of flights to BsAs. There's a 32kg baggage allowance so you can bring a few pairs of shoes back - you'll probably save nearly enough to cover the flight cost ....... give in, you know it makes sense.

(I know a bit about ladies AT shoes simply due to my close association with a certain Miss Julie Skinner who purchased 7 pairs on our last visit to BsAs. Being a poor, underprivilaged man, my Victorio (http://www.victoriotangoshoes.com.ar/ZAPATOS%20CABALLEROS.htm) shoes are plain and black and boring. However, they are the best balanced, most comfortable dance shoes I've ever worn. The Darcos ones aren't too bad either).

Feelingpink
1st-March-2007, 05:22 PM
... You know where this is leading don't you? Yes, it's time for you all to start checking out details of flights to BsAs. There's a 32kg baggage allowance so you can bring a few pairs of shoes back - you'll probably save nearly enough to cover the flight cost ....... give in, you know it makes sense.
...Yes, it makes total sense. But also heard in the last couple of days that BA's luggage allowance has gone down to 25kg, unless you fly through the US. Still, there are other airlines, there is the option of flying through the US ... and 20kg of shoes is quite a bit :grin: Hmmmmm, 'only' £700 for flights going through Atlanta ....

Lynn
1st-March-2007, 05:45 PM
Yes, it makes total sense. But also heard in the last couple of days that BA's luggage allowance has gone down to 25kg You can still take a few pairs of shoes at that weight. And carry some in hand luggage.

Tango shoe buying forum expedition to BsAs anyone?

(Oh and we'll do some dancing too of course!)

Feelingpink
1st-March-2007, 05:51 PM
You can still take a few pairs of shoes at that weight. And carry some in hand luggage.

Tango shoe buying forum expedition to BsAs anyone?

(Oh and we'll do some dancing too of course!)When shall we go?

JonD
1st-March-2007, 06:02 PM
Hmmmmm, 'only' £700 for flights going through Atlanta ....
Buying a pair of ladies shoes in the Darcos shop looks like being £59 per pair cheaper than from their website. So, you've only got to buy 12 pairs to cover the cost of your flight. Bargain!

When shall we go?
Not 'til next year please - much as I'd love to, I don't think I can sneak away this year. Can we fly via Rio and have a day there? I can pretend to be the "boy from Ipanema" - you know the "tall and tan and young and handsome" bit fits me to a tee and you can all sing it as I wander past you on Copacabana beach. (It's my 48th birthday on Sunday and I was nicknamed "Dazzler" in the Army due to the sun reflecting qualities of my bare chest; humour me please).

Feelingpink
1st-March-2007, 08:40 PM
Buying a pair of ladies shoes in the Darcos shop looks like being £59 per pair cheaper than from their website. So, you've only got to buy 12 pairs to cover the cost of your flight. Bargain!Thank you. It's just that kind of helpfulness that I needed. Thank you.

Not 'til next year please - much as I'd love to, I don't think I can sneak away this year. Can we fly via Rio and have a day there? I can pretend to be the "boy from Ipanema" - you know the "tall and tan and young and handsome" bit fits me to a tee and you can all sing it as I wander past you on Copacabana beach. (It's my 48th birthday on Sunday and I was nicknamed "Dazzler" in the Army due to the sun reflecting qualities of my bare chest; humour me please).Okay - next year. What time of year is good? (I do need to plan now if we're going - got to make sure I don't book any client weddings at whichever time we're looking at). Have a St Tropez before you go & you'll be fine. :grin:

Lynn
2nd-March-2007, 10:28 AM
And gives time to save up for shoes...

CeeCee
6th-March-2007, 05:45 PM
Wise words Lynn, this would make a great sig, may I borrow it?

... bespoke photograph albums - and loads of people signed up to be customers once they had a chance to stroke them, but wouldn't have done that on-line ...
Yes FP, I agree. I buy picture frames which have velvet on the back because they feel nice to stroke when I pick them up.

(I know a bit about ladies AT shoes simply due to my close association with a certain Miss Julie Skinner who purchased 7 pairs on our last visit to BsAs.
Ah, but does she wear all of them? I met a lady who bought 19 pairs on her trip last year and she says that she only wears two of them! Perhaps the rest are ornaments.

(It's my 48th birthday on Sunday and I was nicknamed "Dazzler" in the Army ...
So now we know what the D stands for, "Feliz Cumpleaños, Juan Dazzler" (I hope this is right as my Spanish is muy rusty)

Okay folks, so what do I do now? I need to replace my black patent leather tango shoes. They are lovely but when I have the honour of dancing with a leader who is also wearing patent leather then we sometimes have a sticky situation.

Does anyone else have this problem? You know, when the leathers attach themselves to each other, e.g. mid barrida and as you prize them apart there’s an unattractive squeaky bandoneonesque noise which is more than a little off putting?

So instead of patent, I thought satin might be nice. Trying not to think about Comme Il Faut, I ordered a pair from Heavenly Dance Shoes. Hey, guess what? They don’t do red or black satin! Is that possible? Are they serious?

Anyway, has anyone looked at the HDS home page (http://www.heavenlydanceshoes.com/) recently? “Coming soon, Hot Heel Shoes” Look at the killer heel in the picture. Hey, isn’t that shoe made of red satin?

I’m off to make a phone call…

Feelingpink
6th-March-2007, 06:41 PM
...I met a lady who bought 19 pairs on her trip last year and she says that she only wears two of them! Perhaps the rest are ornaments.Hmmmm - who wants vases of flowers and photos when you can have shoes. :drool:

...So instead of patent, I thought satin might be nice. Trying not to think about Comme Il Faut, I ordered a pair from Heavenly Dance Shoes. Hey, guess what? They don’t do red or black satin! Is that possible? Are they serious?

Anyway, has anyone looked at the HDS home page (http://www.heavenlydanceshoes.com/) recently? “Coming soon, Hot Heel Shoes” Look at the killer heel in the picture. Hey, isn’t that shoe made of red satin?

I’m off to make a phone call...Let me know how it goes ... there could be two of us ordering ...:drool: :drool:

CeeCee
8th-March-2007, 11:28 AM
Feelingpink and Lynn, we may not need to go to BsAs after all, brace yourselves girls...

Ladies, you should also explore the world of NeoTango (http://www.neotangoshoes.com/ingles.htm) and Darcos (http://www.darcostango.com/shoes.php?ln=en&p=uk&pg=1) shoes. They aren't Comme Il Faut but they are very, very good. (And they're a damn site cheaper to buy in BsAs than on those websites - my men's Darcos cost £32 - they're €125 on that site!)
I went to a new venue (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/349921-post1149.html) last night and there were about 30 pairs of Darcos ladies' shoes and about 15 pairs of gentlemens' shoes for sale.

The choice is large, the shoes are beautiful, the styles are varied, they feel lovely and the prices are kinder to my bank balance. Bianca is the teacher and she is the London distributor for Darcos, she has new shoes often and will order for you if you need a different size.

Being a poor, underprivilaged man, my Victorio (http://www.victoriotangoshoes.com.ar/ZAPATOS%20CABALLEROS.htm) shoes are plain and black and boring. However, they are the best balanced, most comfortable dance shoes I've ever worn. The Darcos ones aren't too bad either).
Come on Jon, there are lots of fancy shoes for guys too if you're feeling neglected, so treat yourself. I know I'm going to.

Now then, who is going to buy the electric blue glittery pair with the silver killer heel? I wonder...

JonD
8th-March-2007, 11:56 AM
I can see that we're going to have to arrange an LTFG just so you ladies can compare shoes. I should be able to borrow the van from work which will permit us to convey at least part of Julie's collection to wherever we decide to meet up; it's a large van.

Feelingpink and Lynn, we may not need to go to BsAs after all, brace yourselves girls...
Heresy! Of course you must. There can be no substitute! View buying shoes in the UK simply as a taster of delights to come.

I like Darcos and NeoTango shoes - some of the designs are very stylish. I think you ladies might also like the guy who serves in Darcos as well; I suspect that he might have had an influence on Julie's desire to pop in and look round whenever we were in the centre of BsAS.

Come on Jon, there are lots of fancy shoes for guys too if you're feeling neglected, so treat yourself. I know I'm going to.
I've gone all minimalist with shoes - my fancy, dancy black & red and leather & nubuck ones have been put aside in favour of plain black leather. It's all part of recognising my natural modesty!

Fortunately I have 3 pairs of plain black leather ones which I like. The three favoured pairs are from, in order of preference, Victorio, Darcos and Suipacha 256 (next door to Darcos - they're probably Darcos shoes). None of the ones I've bought in the UK can hold a candle to them - I've got a black leather pair from International and another from TangoUK, both of which don't seem to be well balanced. As I've got about another 8 pairs of dance trainers/dance shoes I really don't think I need anymore. I will resist until the major buying trip to BsAs and then get several pairs of identical, modest, plain, functional yet elegant black shoes simply for the pleasure of buying them!

CeeCee
8th-March-2007, 12:26 PM
I've gone all minimalist with shoes - my fancy, dancy black & red and leather & nubuck ones have been put aside in favour of plain black leather.
pity...

... my Victorio (http://www.victoriotangoshoes.com.ar/ZAPATOS%20CABALLEROS.htm) shoes are plain and black and boring. However, they are the best balanced, most comfortable dance shoes I've ever worn.

...I've got a black leather pair from International and another from TangoUK, both of which don't seem to be well balanced.

Okay, I'm showing my ignorance here.

What do you mean by balanced?
Why do your shoes need to be balanced?
Any shoe with a wonky heel should be avoided right?
Your shoes are flat with a heel the width of your foot so what's the problem?
You don't have the challenge of tottering around with a pencil under the back of your foot, while trying to maintain elegance, grace and poise.

I don't get it and I'm genuinely interested so please explain.

JonD
8th-March-2007, 01:50 PM
What do you mean by balanced?
I didn't realise that different pairs of shoes balanced differently until I found a pair that did! It's just the same as the balance in a pair of ladies shoes; maybe it's not as critical as we're not teetering around on high heels but it still makes a difference if the heel feels heavy or light when you're wearing them, or they tend to put your weight over to the outside or inside of your foot. The first time I put on my Artisinal shoes (black leather toe and heel, red nubuck upper - very flash but now "resting") I realised the difference between them and any other pair I'd worn. They just felt so "right" and I've been really sensitive to the balance of shoes ever since.

By the way, I have cuban heels of about 1.5" and the base of the heel is a little narrower than the sole. When I first wore that kind of shoe I looked like a kid at the dressing up box but I've got used to them now. How women manage to dance on a 4" stiletto heel is beyond me - but then you do spend most of your time on the balls of your feet using your leader for balance Jon ducks and heads for cover at a weaving run

Lynn
8th-March-2007, 09:05 PM
The first time I put on my Artisinal shoes (black leather toe and heel, red nubuck upper - very flash but now "resting") I realised the difference between them and any other pair I'd worn. They just felt so "right" and I've been really sensitive to the balance of shoes ever since. I also find dancing in my Artesnal shoes easier than other heeled dance shoes I wear for MJ.

Though recently I've got very attached to a pair of budget, low heeled lace up WCS/Jazz shoes - and yes, have even been doing AT classes in them!

CeeCee
20th-March-2007, 09:02 PM
Guess where I went on Sunday
The 'Move It' dance exhibition at Olympia

Guess why I went there
To help Bianca (http://www.rojoynegroclub.com/) on her stall

Guess what I did there
Talked about tango, talked about shoes, (http://www.darcostango.com/) sold tango stuff.

What a gig! Lynn, you'd have loved it.

People are so entertaining aren't they?
A lady from Devon fell in love with a black pair with blue trim and light blue heel. She tried them on several times and kept returning to the stall with a different story each time. She eventually bought them along with a Gotan Project CD. She's one of your locals Jon and was at Tango Tribe the same weekend as you.

A scantily dressed Pamela Anderson lookalike with lots of make up jewellery and bags, was interested in a bright blue, pretty, sparkly, lacy, strappy, really high pair. She doesn't dance tango but she's a self confessed shoe collector and has plans for her new shoes...

A prim classic lady in a brown tweed skirt suit and black fishnet hosiery (!) tried a red satin and black patent open toed strappy high heeled pair. She didn't like them on her but her partner clearly disagreed. I think he forgot we were there, his jaw dropped and his face was a picture when he told her how sexy she looked.

A German dance teacher tried to interest me in buying her shoes. Bianca was not impressed.

A man who dances in Croydon loved the black suede Cuban heels but left in a huff when his haggling attempts weren't appreciated. (Btw, someone has a teeny weeny bit of a temper...)

Federico's stall was close by, I wonder how they got on.
The other tango stall holder didn't turn up on Sunday at all, so not a good advertisement for her school then.

I learned a lot about people, I learned a bit about shoes.
People love shoes
Men love women's shoes
Women love women's shoes
I saw people transformed by the right shoe.
I saw shoes transformed by the right wearer.

Selling shoes is hard work and people can be er... well...
they sit in them
they walk in them
they dance in them
they want them lower
they want them higher
they want them cheaper
they want different styles
they want different colours
oh and they want comments, lots of comments

Okay, so it was fun for a few hours but I won't be giving up the day job any time soon.

Amir
22nd-March-2007, 04:00 AM
Shoes! What a lark!

Spent half of today in Comme Il Faut and the other half at Tango Brujo. It is weird having hardly any shoes on display and them bringing them out for you, but all their shoes are still beautiful. Tango Brujo do these really cool dance sneakers that I think are brilliant also for modern jive. Unlike block dance trainers, they have a smoother sole, which allows for spinning and gliding, and they look much more trendy.

Anyway, I liked them so much I bought ten pairs, in a bunch of different sizes. I also bought 11 Comme Il Fauts which I thought where nice, with the shortest (7cm) heel they do. I´ll bring them along on Sunday to the T-Jive if you want to try on a pair, but beware, I only have one in each size of any given style!

For smarter men´s shoes I prefer Freed´s practise latin shoes, which are more flexible and lighter than the Tango smart shoes I have tried. But for comfort and chilled out style Tango Brujo are the best I have seen.

See you all soon!

Amir

Mary
22nd-March-2007, 11:40 AM
Shoes! What a lark!

Spent half of today in Comme Il Faut and the other half at Tango Brujo. It is weird having hardly any shoes on display and them bringing them out for you, but all their shoes are still beautiful. Tango Brujo do these really cool dance sneakers that I think are brilliant also for modern jive. Unlike block dance trainers, they have a smoother sole, which allows for spinning and gliding, and they look much more trendy.

Anyway, I liked them so much I bought ten pairs, in a bunch of different sizes. I also bought 11 Comme Il Fauts which I thought where nice, with the shortest (7cm) heel they do. I´ll bring them along on Sunday to the T-Jive if you want to try on a pair, but beware, I only have one in each size of any given style!

For smarter men´s shoes I prefer Freed´s practise latin shoes, which are more flexible and lighter than the Tango smart shoes I have tried. But for comfort and chilled out style Tango Brujo are the best I have seen.

See you all soon!

Amir

Pooh! Can't make the T-dance on Sunday (committed elsewhere), but there aren't many people with feet as small as mine so there is a slight chance you might have something left over for me to try. Shame I haven't got any money.....................

Just have to prostitute myself again I suppose - and all for shoes!

M

David Bailey
22nd-March-2007, 12:26 PM
Just have to prostitute myself again
Ah, now that's immersing yourself in the proper spirit of Tango... :respect: :wink:

tiger
9th-April-2007, 11:00 AM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

DianaS
9th-July-2007, 04:59 PM
Where do I go to try on and buy AT shoes in London
A girls godda shop and we are hitting the shops on Saturday

Lynn
9th-July-2007, 05:04 PM
Hmm, I get the impression that AT shoes often tend to be sold at AT classes, rather than shops.

I did meet a woman in Freed looking for a pair of shoes for AT, the assistant wasn't sure what to show her, I pointed out they actually stocked a pair called 'Tango' but also mentioned Marissa (I wear an old worn soled pair for AT classes). Ended up having a great chat about AT venues in London etc with the woman, who was then rather surprised to hear I was only in London for the day!

Have fun shoe shopping!

CeeCee
12th-July-2007, 11:32 AM
Where do I go to try on and buy AT shoes in London
A girls godda shop and we are hitting the shops on Saturday
ooh deja vu, had this chat on MJDA...

Bianca has a huge selection of Darcos shoes to try at all of her classes, rojoynegro tango club (http://www.rojoynegroclub.com/) My third pair arrived last week and I'm happy with all of them. You can choose from tarty, frumpy, comfy and strappy, so something for everyone.

The well known Federico has a large selection of mostly Werner Kern to try and buy at all of his classes.

A lovely lady called Cathy (I think) is now the London representative for Comme Il Faut and has some beauties for you to try at the Southgate classes weekly on a Wednesday. Not much use if you're here on Saturday but you could contact her via the website. The styles are all very similar and while most people can't actually dance in them you will ALWAYS be noticed!

Good luck and happy shopping

Lory
12th-July-2007, 12:12 PM
You can choose from tarty, frumpy, comfy and strappy, so something for everyone.

:rofl: I love that.. Ok, I admit it... I have different pairs dance shoes that fit everyone of the above descriptions :blush:

Raul
16th-July-2007, 03:43 PM
I came across this and thought that it may be of interest to you ladies

YouTube - Darcos Tango - Magic Shoes / www darcostango com (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwWJ3dGnqa4&mode=related&search=)

there are links to other clips from the same poster.

Lynn
16th-July-2007, 04:12 PM
Love it! That's one of the nice parts about going to a milonga, admiring all the shoes. And doesn't the shapes women make with their feet in tango just go so beautifully with gorgeous shoes?

I got an email last night, advicing that someone in Dublin is doing a bulk order from Darcos Tango - therefore I could order a pair at a reduced price. Tempting...

JonD
17th-July-2007, 03:24 PM
I hate to report that I saw Eugenia Parilla dancing in a pair of flip-flops at a milonga last week - and she looked amazing. Perhaps you ladies don't need fancy shoes. Any old pair of tatty sandals will do. Ducks and runs, cowering, for cover

The Tavira Tango festival was great by the way - learnt tons from lots of very good teachers and now have a week of lying on a sunbed digesting it all. Oh, and Julie and I have been practicing our ability to dance after a bottle of wine, 2 large amarettos (or should that be amoretti - drinking Kir at lunchtime doesn't do much for my spelling) and a brandy.

Lynn
17th-July-2007, 06:33 PM
I hate to report that I saw Eugenia Parilla dancing in a pair of flip-flops at a milonga last week - and she looked amazing. Perhaps you ladies don't need fancy shoes. Any old pair of tatty sandals will do. Ducks and runs, cowering, for cover Yes, run! To even suggest such a thing! I hope Julie reads this and suitably admonishes you!

Tango without wonderful shoes, the very idea!! (OK, will admit I've been known to do classes in an old lace up comfy pair of dance shoes.)

And I most definitely need fancy shoes, but its so much part of 'feeling' tangoish I think as much as anything else!

The Tavira Tango festival was great by the way - learnt tons from lots of very good teachers and now have a week of lying on a sunbed digesting it all. Oh, and Julie and I have been practicing our ability to dance after a bottle of wine, 2 large amarettos (or should that be amoretti - drinking Kir at lunchtime doesn't do much for my spelling) and a brandy. Sounds good. That sounds like really relaxed dance practice. Enjoy!

jivecat
1st-February-2009, 03:16 PM
The quest for the ultimate tango shoe experience continues. Compared with the astronomical price of CiFs, Darcos (never answers his emails, anyway) and almost all other suppliers (they're only shoes, after all, a few bits of old goat leather and bog-standard lurex, it's not like they're futuristic space technology or are made from genuine offcuts from the Turin shroud, or anything) these Werner Kerns seem like a bargain, and look the biz as well.

http://www.dancesport.uk.com/shoes/ne/lad_tan.htm

Has anyone bought any? If so, how do they shape up for comfort, quality, sizing, width etc?

Toasti
2nd-February-2009, 08:39 PM
I've had some Werner Kern latin style shoes and can vouch for the quality. I really like the styles on the link you posted.

However, my faves are the 'Guaranteed Fit' shoes from Argentina (on this thread?), mainly 'cos they're the first pair of shoes in 4 years that can adjust to fit my narrow feet, but also the padding in them is awesome (and that's not a word I use willy-nilly!). I've got the 3 1/2 inch heels and I can dance all night and they're still comfortable.

rubyred
2nd-February-2009, 09:13 PM
I've had some Werner Kern latin style shoes and can vouch for the quality. I really like the styles on the link you posted.

I've got the 3 1/2 inch heels and I can dance all night and they're still comfortable.
I almost bought the most gorgeous pair of Werner Kern shoes at the weekend, but I thought they were a bit over priced at £125, is that about what they are or is that price too much? The heel was around 2 1/2, the heel was also in the same fabric as the fabric just covering the toes, gold flecks with a little black coming through. When the light fell on the gold bits they just dazzled.:awe:

Have to agree about the tall heels I am wearing CilF, and have got a 3 1/2 heel .The CilF are just so comfortable, they do cushion my feet.

rubyred
2nd-February-2009, 09:21 PM
The quest for the ultimate tango shoe experience continues. Compared with the astronomical price of CiFs, Darcos (never answers his emails, anyway) and almost all other suppliers (they're only shoes, after all, a few bits of old goat leather and bog-standard lurex, it's not like they're futuristic space technology or are made from genuine offcuts from the Turin shroud, or anything) these Werner Kerns seem like a bargain, and look the biz as well.

http://www.dancesport.uk.com/shoes/ne/lad_tan.htm

Has anyone bought any? If so, how do they shape up for comfort, quality, sizing, width etc?

I bought my CilF's from these people, but still pricey at £120
www.coleccionlarecoleta.com (http://www.coleccionlarecoleta.com/).

Jay Jay
2nd-February-2009, 10:47 PM
I bought my CilF's from these people, but still pricey at £120
www.coleccionlarecoleta.com (http://www.coleccionlarecoleta.com/).

That's where I bought mine from...and especially for you Ruby have attached photos............they are the most comfortable shoes ever and I didn't have to change them for the rest of the ceroc freestyle evening either...I'm in love :awe:

rubyred
2nd-February-2009, 11:08 PM
That's where I bought mine from...and especially for you Ruby have attached photos............they are the most comfortable shoes ever and I didn't have to change them for the rest of the ceroc freestyle evening either...I'm in love :awe:

I think I am in love too :awe:...........er...with your shoes darling, :hug:they are deliciously gorgeous, as we say in Ireland I wish you health to wear them.:nice:

Dottie
2nd-February-2009, 11:14 PM

I have some gorgeous dotty :wink: :whistle: CIlFs. Will try and get a pic up tomorrow.
I got them last year online from a European store when the exchange rate was not what it is today.

I am ashamed to say they have as yet not been used for Tango :naughty:, but hopefully some time soon.

They are however so comfortable despite the 4" heels. Who needs Manolos when you can get CIlFs.

By the way Jay Jay - am loving your blue shoes and if I may say so - what fab ankles!!

mshedgehog
2nd-February-2009, 11:56 PM
I almost bought the most gorgeous pair of Werner Kern shoes at the weekend, but I thought they were a bit over priced at £125, is that about what they are or is that price too much?

I have a pair of Werner Kerns, they were soft as butter on day one, and still are. I just wear them for classes now, especially classes where my feet might get trodden on as they're closed toe.

They were a lot cheaper than that - more like £70 or £80 - but that was nearly two years ago when the exchange rate was very different and Werner Kern had not really twigged to the tango market. Mine are black and plain, like this (http://www.werner-kern.com/tanzschuhe-tango/2tango.html). Very wearable. They're very soft, flexible, well built, and the buckle is the kind you adjust once to fit and then fasten and unfasten with a concealed popper - very handy for changing your shoes in the dark. They have suede soles, unlike most tango shoes which have smooth leather soles. I think the heel on mine is nearer 7.5cm than 6.5 so I don't know how they measure it exactly. That link is to the manufacturers' website, which has them for EUR 109.

rubyred
3rd-February-2009, 12:20 AM
I have a pair of Werner Kerns, they were soft as butter on day one, and still are. I just wear them for classes now, especially classes where my feet might get trodden on as they're closed toe.

They were a lot cheaper than that - more like £70 or £80 - but that was nearly two years ago when the exchange rate was very different and Werner Kern had not really twigged to the tango market. Mine are black and plain, like this (http://www.werner-kern.com/tanzschuhe-tango/2tango.html). Very wearable. They're very soft, flexible, well built, and the buckle is the kind you adjust once to fit and then fasten and unfasten with a concealed popper - very handy for changing your shoes in the dark. They have suede soles, unlike most tango shoes which have smooth leather soles. I think the heel on mine is nearer 7.5cm than 6.5 so I don't know how they measure it exactly. That link is to the manufacturers' website, which has them for EUR 109.

Thank you mshedgehog, I have been thinking about getting some comfortable closed toe shoes for practising in, the toes in my stockings always come a cropper through dancing tango. I think you do need a taller heel for tango though, and 7.5cm, 3 inches [ I still think imperial]and that is in my opinion just about right. I practise in 2/12 open toe at the moment, ouch !!! I wore my CilF all night for the first time on Saturday, I lasted until around 3.30am and had been dancing from around 10.30pm, no major problem with my feet at least thankfully.

rubyred
3rd-February-2009, 12:25 AM
I have some gorgeous dotty :wink: :whistle: CIlFs. Will try and get a pic up tomorrow.

Dottie I have seen the shoes that were just made for you, they are CilF and the front part are red with white polka dots and the backs are black with also white polka dots. They looked really fab, they could be your forum namesake, a bit like Blueshoes and his blue shoes!

Jay Jay
3rd-February-2009, 12:32 AM
Dottie I have seen the shoes that were just made for you, they are CilF and the front part are red with white polka dots and the backs are black with also white polka dots. They looked really fab, they could be your forum namesake, a bit like Blueshoes and his blue shoes!

I saw those ones when I was looking but they didn't have my size...in fact needing a 2.5 or 3 I actually didn't have a lot of choice, but they are all so lovely...and the physcological affect they have works wonders too I felt I was dancing better in them...or perhaps it was a case of 'you've spent all that money on them you had better dance better attitude' :rofl:

mshedgehog
3rd-February-2009, 12:38 AM
I think you do need a taller heel for tango though, and 7.5cm, 3 inches [ I still think imperial]and that is in my opinion just about right.

I agree - they are my comfort shoes, except for a pair of Taras (http://www.22tangoshoes.com/product_info.php?products_id=96) with the cork platform. I choose them if it's going to be a long class, or two workshops followed by a milonga. Not everybody likes the cushiony platform, though, some people just can't get on with it.

I see Werner Kern are doing some much more adventurous designs (http://www.nuevaepoca.de/ladies-nuevaepoca.html) these days - looking at the prices on their website in Euros, I think the prices at Dancesport (http://www.dancesport.uk.com/shoes/ne/lad_tan.htm) are very reasonable and likely to go up soon. Based on the ones I've got, I'd definitely try them. In fact I'm rather regretting my latest Darcos purchase, I could have done a lot better. If I hadn't just bought something else I'd definitely buy the red ones. I trust Werner Kerns' sizing and quality.

I have a pair of CiFs but I'm actually not that nuts about them - they're a bit lurid, and the soles are too thin for me. They're extremely well balanced, though, and a lot of people really like the extreme lightness. I sort of like it too, but I can't dance in them for as long as other pairs that were cheaper.

rubyred
3rd-February-2009, 01:07 AM
I see Werner Kern are doing some much more adventurous designs (http://www.nuevaepoca.de/ladies-nuevaepoca.html) these days - looking at the prices on their website in Euros, .

mshedhog you've found my shoes!! :clap:They are the first pair on the third row,Celia and cost 169 euros about £152, but then on the Dancesport they are £85 a lorra lorra difference there then, :rolleyes:even a good mark up for the seller at £125. Just pays to shop around I guess, thank you for the links.

jivecat
3rd-February-2009, 02:03 PM
mshedhog you've found my shoes!! :clap:They are the first pair on the third row,Celia and cost 169 euros about £152, but then on the Dancesport they are £85 a lorra lorra difference there then, :rolleyes:even a good mark up for the seller at £125. Just pays to shop around I guess, thank you for the links.

Those black/gold ones really are gorgeous and I love the crossover ankle strap. I'm still dithering because I suspect the Werner Kerns would be too narrow for me and the delicate thin front section might not be very flattering as well as uncomfortable. And then, there's all those styles to pick from and I can only have one pair!!:sick:
I'd really prefer a more closed in pair as I think they'd be more comfortable but I can't cope with a pointy toe, and would really like a pencil heel.

I'll probably carry on dithering a bit longer, meanwhile I'll stick with the Doc Marten's!

jivecat
3rd-February-2009, 02:08 PM
I agree - they are my comfort shoes, except for a pair of Taras (http://www.22tangoshoes.com/product_info.php?products_id=96) with the cork platform. I choose them if it's going to be a long class, or two workshops followed by a milonga. Not everybody likes the cushiony platform, though, some people just can't get on with it.
I'd just love to have a pair of their Corazons, in wine red. I'd have to ask lots of searching questions about the sizing, though. Funny how dance shoe sites make lots of fuss about heel height and shoe length but never tell you the width.

I see Werner Kern are doing some much more adventurous designs (http://www.nuevaepoca.de/ladies-nuevaepoca.html) these days - looking at the prices on their website in Euros, I think the prices at Dancesport (http://www.dancesport.uk.com/shoes/ne/lad_tan.htm) are very reasonable and likely to go up soon. Based on the ones I've got, I'd definitely try them. In fact I'm rather regretting my latest Darcos purchase, I could have done a lot better. If I hadn't just bought something else I'd definitely buy the red ones. I trust Werner Kerns' sizing and quality.They're not in the league (appearance wise) of CilF but still have plenty of tangoey glamour! Why don't you like your Darcos purchase?

Dottie
3rd-February-2009, 02:36 PM

I don't think I've seen those Rubyred, but they sound verrrry nice.
Here are my dottie CIlFs. They are grey and white polka dot with pewter leather trim and silver heels.

Jay Jay
3rd-February-2009, 02:58 PM
Here are my dottie CIlFs. They are grey and white polka dot with pewter leather trim and silver heels.

Dottie they are lovely, I do have to say that I think CIF's do have the edge on sexiness and style...appreciated by other woman more than anyone else :D

rubyred
3rd-February-2009, 03:04 PM
Thank you Dottie they are fab and very sexy shoes, I like them.:nice:

mshedgehog
12th-February-2009, 12:23 AM
They're not in the league (appearance wise) of CilF but still have plenty of tangoey glamour! Why don't you like your Darcos purchase?

I do like them and I've worn them several times already, I just didn't realise I could have got Werner Kerns for less in a design I like just as much. The Darcos also turned out to be more expensive than I expected. I'm pleased with them, they're silver and twinkly and go really well with a lot of my outfits. I find them very comfortable. The only thing with Darcos is that YOU MUST try them on because their sizing is totally random. On the upside, if you have wide/narrow/funny shaped feet and you just try on everything your size, one size up and one size down, you have a very good chance of finding something that fits. And they're really, really stable.

I have another pair of Darcos that are a bit frayed at the edges and they're now my shoes for outdoor festivals. They've done great service and they're very stable and comfortable, and in a style that you can adjust quite a bit around your foot. They were £85 when I bought them in autumn 07.

I have slightly wide feet and the WKs had to stretch a bit for me.

With the Taras, email the lady at Diva Boutique (http://www.diva-boutique.com/women_welcome.aspx) and she'll take measurements. With my Taras, the size I got are the same length as the next size down but wider. Other styles are relatively narrow. I really want the red polka dot ones or the red suede with the platform but they're out of budget for the moment.

mshedgehog
12th-February-2009, 12:30 AM
the delicate thin front section might not be very flattering as well as uncomfortable. ... I'd really prefer a more closed in pair as I think they'd be more comfortable but I can't cope with a pointy toe, and would really like a pencil heel.

I prefer a more closed in toe as well, I find peep-toe styles are a good compromise. But a lot of tango dancers with wide feet prefer the very open-toed styles because they say it lets them spread their toes and get better balance and grip. I have only slightly wide feet and I'll take the extra protection.

Amir
15th-April-2009, 03:05 PM
Hey! I'm coming back from Argentina in two weeks, and have space for two or three extra pairs of Comme Il Faut shoes if anyones been looking for a chance to pick up a pair!

I need to know your shoe size, and more or less what kind of designs and features you are looking for. Since designs change all the time I may not be able to get what ever you might have seen, but something close. You can have them for £110 which leaves me something for my trouble but is still cheaper than normal in Europe, I think.

You can get ideas from pictures on this thread, or from this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLRbQLWfONs&feature=channel

Try let me know this week as I hope to go to the store on Saturday....

hasta luego!

Yliander
15th-April-2009, 03:53 PM
Hey! I'm coming back from Argentina in two weeks, and have space for two or three extra pairs of Comme Il Faut shoes if anyones been looking for a chance to pick up a pair!

I need to know your shoe size, and more or less what kind of designs and features you are looking for. Since designs change all the time I may not be able to get what ever you might have seen, but something close. You can have them for £110 which leaves me something for my trouble but is still cheaper than normal in Europe, I think.

You can get ideas from pictures on this thread, or from this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLRbQLWfONs&feature=channel

hasta luego!OOO Amir you could lead a girl to do very bad things with an offer like that!!!

Jay Jay
22nd-April-2009, 03:24 PM
hasta luego!

:clap: I have emailed you already and hopefully there is a pair winging their way back to me in your suitcase :D

...not that I am impatient but what time do you land? :rofl::flower:

Liz McCaig
22nd-April-2009, 04:32 PM
I bought my pair at a shop in Cambridge - able to try before I bought them which was fantastic. The price....cough....we don't mention but start from £130 (in line with other outlets where you can try before you buy) and despite the money worth every penny to have a pair I can wear all night.

The shop is called Attitude right next to St Pauls where alot of the festival events will be held in Cambridge next month.... They are running low on choice now but could be persuaded to order another batch which may just arrive in time if people registered an interest quickly (they are concerned at the cost of holding stock for a small outlet - they don't even have a website).

Attitude
25 Hills Rd
Cambridge
CB2 1NW
01223 322227‎

Feelingpink
22nd-April-2009, 05:08 PM
:clap: I have emailed you already and hopefully there is a pair winging their way back to me in your suitcase :D

...not that I am impatient but what time do you land? :rofl::flower:There could be a welcoming committee ... :wink:

Jay Jay
22nd-April-2009, 05:34 PM
There could be a welcoming committee ... :wink:

LOL...shall I hire a mini bus :D

I just can't wait for that lovely man to come back with the goodies!

Rachel
23rd-April-2009, 02:04 PM
Ladies, can you help me out - I really need to know something here …

Basically, how vital are proper tango shoes?

Obviously being a girl (though not a very girlie one, admittedly), I'm gob-smackingly ovewhelmed by the gorgeous tango shoes I've seen and really want a pair.

However, the kind of prices you see are just waaaaay beyond thinking about. Not to mention that it's so difficult to even try them on before you buy. I mean, it's painful enough having to spend £55 on normal dance shoes, but I least I know they fit perfectly and will last me at least 2 years at 4 nights a week.

I have had a little try of a pair of Feeling Pink's Comme il Faut (thanks!!) but, since the heel was 9cm and I wasn't really moving in them, it was hard to see exactly how they'd feel when dancing.

So what I really want to know is, what do tango shoes do for you? I mean, are they really much different from normal latin shoes in the support, how they alter your posture, the position of the heel, etc etc? I keep seeing various differing opinions, but nothing that conclusively says actual tango shoes are so very different that they justify the cost.

Also, how easy is it to get a softer, more flexible sole on a tango shoe - or is that a complete no-no? I really don't want to get a thick, solid sole where I can't bend and move my feet to feel the floor as I like. I've heard of a brand of tango shoe that is said to be more flexible - is this true, and are they available anywhere in the UK to try on?

NB: Thank you for the Cambridge address, Liz. Strangely, I just came across a reference to this shop yesterday and thought it was very handy to know about.

Thanks!
Rachel

Jay Jay
23rd-April-2009, 04:02 PM

I am no expert but I do have do say they are extemely comfortable, they do help me with my posture and I do 'glide' better in them but physcologically they make me feel 'the part', like wearing something smart for a job interview as opposed to jeans, it puts me in the right mind set if you know what I mean.

However, the kind of prices you see are just waaaaay beyond thinking about.

Granted they are expensive, there are other makes other than CIF that aren't as pricey but don't know how they compare (feel wise) but I am able to wear them for Ceroc too so I do get value out of them.

Having said all that I need all the help and asistance I can get....you would look fab doing Tango in trainers :wink:

Rachel
23rd-April-2009, 04:30 PM
Having said all that I need all the help and asistance I can get....Hardly!!! But you do look wonderful in yours.

....you would look fab doing Tango in trainers :wink:I haven't actually worn a pair of trainers since my schooldays - Dunlop green flash, they had to be. I get a bit claustrophobic when my feet are 'enclosed' and have a little panic if I'm wearing shoes that I feel I can't get out of really quickly if I ever had to. As you do ....
R. x

Battlecat
23rd-April-2009, 05:45 PM
I have found that it is more difficult to tango in a low healed shoe and you definately need one with a flexible sole. I have also been looking at buying a pair of tango shoes and Amirs offer has got me thinking. Would like a really nice sexy red pair:drool:... but recently did a workshop and found my little WCS sandals really good cause of the flexible sole.

Just need to find away to fund a new Tango Shoe collection :lol:

mshedgehog
23rd-April-2009, 08:18 PM
Ladies, can you help me out - I really need to know something here …

Hi Rachel,

Not that vital, I don't think. You'll probably want some after dancing tango for 6 to 9 months but before that your Latin shoes will do fine.

I danced the first 11 weeks in Clarks street shoes with smooth soles and about a 5cm heel. They were fine. Less heel than that makes it a bit difficult to do what you need to do. A reasonable heel is very helpful, but you can dance without it. I agree that it helps me feel the part as well as getting my weight in the right place.

At the end of the beginners' course I decided to continue and I got a pair of Werner Kerns (http://www.werner-kern.de/tango-schuhe.html), which are basically good ballroom shoes and were my first dancing shoes. Heel 7.5cm, they're absolutely fine, they have the lovely pop fastening. These were higher than I was used to at the time and it took me a while to adjust. 2 years later I like a higher heel, but I still sometimes wear them for classes.

I also have some shoes from Oobashoo (http://www.oobashoo.co.uk/), designed for salsa. They're fine too but I don't wear them as much as I used to.

All the above are relatively cheap compared to any of the specialist tango shoes I have. And they're absolutely fine.

Nowadays Werner Kern do more adventurous (http://www.nuevaepoca.de/ladies-nuevaepoca.html) shoes called Nueva Epoca, designed specifically for Argentine Tango, and some UK shops stock them at prices lower than shown on their website. I haven't got any of these but I'd expect them to be good.

After that we get into the specialist tango brands and it gets very expensive. I do think there is a subtle difference in the construction specifically the placement of the heel, but maybe the Nueva Epoca have this too. The soles are thin and flexible. I feel they are all extremely stable and put me somewhat inward and forward onto my big toes, the CiFs especially. I have 2 pairs of Darcos (http://www.darcostango.net/shoes.php?pg=1&p=us&ln=en) and 1 pair of Comme Il Faut. The CiFs were about two and a half times the price of the Darcos, but they are not two and half times better. If anything I prefer the Darcos, I certainly wear them more, but that could be just my foot shape and taste. The problem with Darcos is their sizing is unreliable so you must try them on. No link for CiF but they sell them here (http://www.coleccionlarecoleta.com/commeilfaut/Pages/home.html). There's also NeoTango (http://www.neotangoshoes.com/) and a lot of people like them, it depends on your foot shape. I haven't tried them.

All tango shoes have a flexible sole. You are right, this is important. Even the 2cm cork platform in my Taras (http://www.22tangoshoes.com/) (which are a bit different) is flexible and soft.

rubyred
23rd-April-2009, 09:58 PM
The CiFs were about two and a half times the price of the Darcos, but they are not two and half times better.

I haven't experienced Darcos but I can say that I am not enthralled by my Cifs. Perhaps it has something to do with me trying to run before I can walk, but I can't get my balance the same on them, [ and yes I am probably off kilter anyway but I feel more so in CiFs !] Mine are 3 1/2 '' , 9 cm, and the heel is very fine. I used to be able to dance fine in my ballroom 3 1/2 but the heel was thicker. I think that as far as fashion is concerned they are lovely, beautiful, works of art even, but for me, and it is just my experience, the name doesn't maketh the shoe.
I find that my little 2 1/2 Heavenly Shoes are just the business,and even my ballroom shoes do a better job for me. :flower:

mshedgehog
25th-April-2009, 12:38 PM
I would definitely not advise bothering with CiFs until you have been dancing AT for a while. I think I bought mine after 16 months or so, after I was quite sure I could cope to my own satisfaction with more or less everything likely to be thrown at me in social dancing.

PS they are very expensive but I just looked it up and I was wrong about the price. They were only one-and-a-half times more expensive than my Darcos shoes. I was probably thinking of the price in Dollars (at the time).

You could argue that they were one-and-a-half times better - I find them a little bit less comfortable, the design is a bit lurid and I dance in them a lot less. But on the other hand they make other women stare at my feet a LOT more, even though I don't think they're actually all that flattering. So much so that you could argue it justifies the price and I wouldn't think you were nuts.

Jay Jay
25th-April-2009, 01:32 PM
It's very much an individual thing. Being vertically challenged as I am, I am used to having to wear high heels, so am very comfortable wearing them to dance. I would think that if you have to deal with not being at ease in your shoes as well as concentrating on your movements you are making it twice as hard for yourself.

I haven't tried any other 'Tango' shoes other than CIF's as such, and when I first started I did wear my normal dance shoes which sufficed perfectly okay. You obviously don't have to opt for the highest of heels in any make of shoe but I have to say it is the look of the CIF's that I find so appealing.

philsmove
25th-April-2009, 04:08 PM
. But on the other hand they make other women stare at my feet a LOT more, .

now I wonder why

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dL5rRDmOYc

jivecat
27th-April-2009, 08:45 AM
Drool. I want the red ones!

No wonder they were smirking so smugly throughout the dance.

Kazibaby
7th-May-2009, 03:29 PM
Nowadays Werner Kern do more adventurous (http://www.nuevaepoca.de/ladies-nuevaepoca.html) shoes called Nueva Epoca, designed specifically for Argentine Tango, and some UK shops stock them at prices lower than shown on their website. I haven't got any of these but I'd expect them to be good.

:yeah:I got a pair as a birthday present and can confirm they are fabulous! Extremely comfortable and very eye-catching...!