PDA

View Full Version : Most famous person you've met

Piglet
23rd-February-2006, 02:10 PM
Talking to a colleague today - turns out she used to work as a dental nurse and has been in attendance to the queen when she was at Balmoral.

What a claim to fame - siphoning off the queen's spit (mind you those are my words - she doesn't remember what she had to do other than curtsey and make sure all the instruments were sparkling and in order - oh! and she wasn't allowed to talk in the queen's presence).

My most famous encounter was kissing DLT!!!

What's yours?

Lynn
23rd-February-2006, 02:13 PM
Apparently I met Floella Benjamen when I was very young (don't remember it).

BeeBee
23rd-February-2006, 02:20 PM
When I was 4 I met Billy Connolly. Didnt know who he was, but knew that the big beard and hair was a bit scary looking. He was dead funny, I didnt have a clue what he was on about, but everyone was laughing so it must have been good!

Have also served John Snow whilst working in a Deli shop in Cape Cod. He wanted to know where the bananas were. It wasnt him I recognised at first, it was his voice! Rowan Atkinson came into the Deli too, as did the man who drew the Marvel comic books stuff (was dressed in a trench coat and trilby hat - bit strange for the hot weather we were having at the time, but just gave him his sandwich and thought better than to question a wee old man about his chosen clobber. . . )

lx

Dizzy
23rd-February-2006, 02:20 PM
I have met a few people............

Shook hands with the Queen, Prince Phillip and Princess Diana on 50th Anniversary of VE Day.

Used to hang out with Phillip Schofield and Trevor & Simon at Going Live when I was about 11.

Had a drunken conversation with Michaela Strathan when my friend had her Hen night at the Ivy Restaurant :blush:

under par
23rd-February-2006, 02:26 PM
In the mid-eighties I was just about to write out a parking ticket for a very expensive looking car in the West End outside Fortnum and Masons.

When the driver returned my heart fluttered and I went weak at the knees as the gorgeous Joanna Lumley :love: :drool: appeared before me, I did utter a few words but I could hardly talk to her for dribbling........certainly could write out the ticket.(dribbling not scribbling I suppose!)

She smiled:love: ... I dribbled ...........she drove off............the rest of the day was a blur:awe: :awe:

FXS N.Q
23rd-February-2006, 02:31 PM
I've met a few famous people nobody really worth mentioning as they have all really loved themselves, especially a particular football captain for one half of the old firm.
Only one famous person is worth mentioning, Jim Kerr from Simple Minds I met him a few years ago in Ingram Street and he asked me for a chip. So me and my mate asked him about how the music was going. Very nice guy.

Donna
23rd-February-2006, 02:32 PM
Well I've met

Ant and Dec when I did the pop idol auditions. (gareth gates!)

Norman Wisdom

Little and Large

Shnorbit (think that's how you spell it) the dog. And he rushed to the edge of the stage and eat my sausages!!!:tears:

Graham Norton last year.

El Salsero Gringo
23rd-February-2006, 02:34 PM
What a claim to fame - siphoning off the queen's spit I remember seeing on TV when the queen visited a RN warship, they'd rigged the plumbing so that the Queen's No.2 would be stored safely in a tank and could be kept as a ship's exhibit. The plan was foiled by the fact that Her Maj. only ever uses her own lavatory facilities.

TiggsTours
23rd-February-2006, 02:37 PM
I'm apparrantly related to Kenny Sampson (big football star), but I've never met him, Asif & I went to see the premiere for Planet of the Apes, and sneaked into the bit where the paparazzi stand with Asif's disposable camera, and Graham Norton commented on it to him, I spent a week living with Rowan Atkinson's wife, Suneta Sastry, in a yoga retreat in Ibiza, as we were the only 2 people booked in, she is absolutely beautiful, and a really lovely person. I've been in the same room as Johnny Depp, and just missed out on a bit part in a film with Robert Redford & Brad Pitt!

I always seem to just miss out on meeting the famous people myself, but my dad went to school with Raymond Briggs (currently Joe in EastEnders, but more famous as voice of Mr Benn), had tea with Oscar Wilde, met Laurel & Hardy (and has their autographs, together on one piece of paper) and used to play with Joan & Jackie Collins as a kid (lucky boy)!

Ooh! I did sell Bernie Winters some asprin once!

Donna
23rd-February-2006, 02:46 PM
I remember seeing on TV when the queen visited a RN warship, they'd rigged the plumbing so that the Queen's No.2 would be stored safely in a tank and could be kept as a ship's exhibit. The plan was foiled by the fact that Her Maj. only ever uses her own lavatory facilities.

:rofl: :rofl: :eek:(I need air!) oh :rofl: :rofl:

Gordon J Pownall
23rd-February-2006, 02:50 PM
Les Dawson, Matt Dawson (no relation), Bernard Manning, The Queen, Prince Charles, Gary Rhodes, Gordon Ramsey, Prince Andrew, Gloria Estefan, Warren Mitchell, Andrew Roachford....(jammed with him..!), Omar, Mistique (had dinner with them in London at the Jazz Cafe),

To name but a few,,,

Gordon J Pownall
23rd-February-2006, 02:51 PM
Ooohh...forgot :-

The Tramp, Tiggerbabes, Franck and of course Andy McG...!

stewart38
23rd-February-2006, 03:04 PM
I met Patrick More a few times, this was late 70s at Selsey bill

Is he more famous then Eric Clapton ?

Sparkles
23rd-February-2006, 03:08 PM
Used to hang out with Phillip Schofield and Trevor & Simon at Going Live when I was about 11.
:yeah: Me too (well, I met them all twice and I was younger than 11), also Sarah Green, Mike Smith, Lisa Stansfied, Dawn French and Jennifer Saunders, Geoffrey Durham, The Pet Shop Boys, Paul Shane, Cliff Richard, Ed the Duck and Gordon the Gopher!
Also met John Leslie, Yvette Fielding and Diane-Louise Jordan (from Blue Peter) - but was very upset to miss out on meeting Caron Keating, who left the show just before hand.
... and cos I was a persistant little so-and-so I got all their autographs too :D.

Feel sure I've met some more famous people too (will have to go dig out my old autograph book and see who else is in there).

Chicklet
Sheikh Isa Bin Sulman Al Khalifa

Donna
Les Dawson, Matt Dawson (no relation), Bernard Manning, The Queen, Prince Charles, Gary Rhodes, Gordon Ramsey, Prince Andrew, Gloria Estefan, Warren Mitchell, Andrew Roachford....(jammed with him..!), Omar, Mistique (had dinner with them in London at the Jazz Cafe),

To name but a few,,,

Wow! Quite a few then! Do you get star struck?

McJester
23rd-February-2006, 03:47 PM
I haven't met that many people, let alone famous ones, maybe because I'm so shy and quite :whistle: but I have met

Dr David Bellamy - he presented me with my Chief Scouts award

Ed Burns - Comedian and the voice on the Carphone Ware adverts, went to Uni with him

Narrowly missed out on meeting Tina Turner

And not quite famous but a sort of claim to fame, I'm drinking buddies with one of Ossam Bin Ladens many brothers in laws

:hug:
McJ

Gordon J Pownall
23rd-February-2006, 03:51 PM
No....the joys of being a Charity Trustee (Prince Charles and royal meets). Andrew Roachford (Cuddly Toy, Family Man from the 80's) is an old friend who still does the occasional gig at the Jazz Cafe. That's where I met Mistique and Omar.

Warren Mitchell was in a chippy in Finchley sat on the table behind me so I asked him to pass the salt etc and got chatting...

Bernard Manning is an old friend of my father...

So all pretty boring stuff really..

fletch
23rd-February-2006, 03:53 PM
I dated Pat Roach for a while, and went to the rehearsals of Avezederzen Pet, so met all the gang, its was the first series.:blush:

I went to school with Steven 'tin tin' Duffy (kiss me with your mouth) record, and we were the only two real 'punks' so we went around together:waycool:

also Roger Taylor 'duran duran' drummer was part of our click which happened late seventies in Birmingham (he slept in my spare room) he was all ways out of my league.:worthy:

Georgous George who then became 'Boy George':what:

Martin Degville ZZ sputnik, who went around with George (he was scary):eek:

Rankin Rodger and Dave Singer in the 'Beat':hug:

I went to Ronnie Knight's wedding in the costa del sole, but I carn't say I know him, I was a guest of a freind of his.:respect:

Those were the days:D

i'm sure there will be a lot of spelling mistekes spell check hasn't pick much up

:cheers:

WittyBird
23rd-February-2006, 03:56 PM
i'm sure there will be a lot of spelling mistekes spell check hasn't pick much up

Fletch you are priceless :rofl:
Oh and Boy George :drool: Im sooo jealous

fletch
23rd-February-2006, 04:02 PM

You two would get on so well. your just his type of freind.:what:

You neaver know we might bump into him again one day:waycool:

LMC
23rd-February-2006, 04:03 PM
People who have Hello magazine potential: Holly Hunter

People who appear in the rest of the press quite frequently but don't have Hello appeal: A lot. Like Gordy, mainly through charity work. But as they don't tend to appear in the glossy gutter rags, they aren't really important enough to list here.

Rhythm King
23rd-February-2006, 04:13 PM
I think this can depend on your perspective. Some of the people whom I most admire that I have met are famous within their own field, yet virtually unknown outside it. Anyway a list for starters would include:

All the top tier Royals
Lady Thatcher and Mr Heath
Apparently as a babe in arms I was presented to President Eisenhower
Numerous Sci Fi actors (including the all the main cast of Babylon 5 - sorry Sparkles :rolleyes: )
Odette Churchill and Nancy Wake, SOE spies in France during WWII
Bruce Forsythe
Graham Norton
Christopher Trace, John Noakes and Valerie Singleton (Hmm, I wonder where?)

I've thought of another couple, but I'm saving them for the "5 things you don't know about me" thread.

R-K

fletch
23rd-February-2006, 04:24 PM
Odette Churchill and Nancy Wake, SOE spies in France during WWII

R-K

WOW :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

:respect:

Minnie M
23rd-February-2006, 04:44 PM
I grew up with Jimmy Page (of Led Zeplin fame) he came to my 18th birthday party (BTW he was 61 this month)

I married a working musician so have met many famous people he 'backed'

Zoe Ball lives down the road from me, often see her in M&S

But the person I am most proud of knowing is my Uncle Tony (http://www.ebony.co.uk/darkside/feature2.htm) (Mum's kid brother) only found out recently how famous he is. He introduced Bridget Bardot to this country as well !

Stuart
23rd-February-2006, 05:47 PM
I held the door open for Ernie Wise once as he was going into the Post Office near to where my father lives. He did say thank you.

I was also nearly run over by Sir Steve Redgrave in the middle of Marlow.

Lisa
23rd-February-2006, 05:55 PM
Many infamous encounters but my fav was during the weekend of my CTA audition/training. My Mum, my wee brother Craig and myself met John Major in St James Park.

My Mum ran over and asked for a picture of us all. He was very obliging and extremely lovely. We had a nice conversation for a couple of minutes but then unfortunately Craig stood on his foot during the photoshot! Mum also waved goodbye saying “Hope you get elected next time!” Given he hadn’t been the leader for a long time- where was the hole in the ground?

It really made our day we were hyper (nothing new in our family!)

Would like to meet Steve Tyler or Dermott O'Leary one day...................

Lisa x

Donna
23rd-February-2006, 05:55 PM

:eek: Yeeuukk! :o

Donna
23rd-February-2006, 06:01 PM
Oi Fletch!

:drool:

fletch
23rd-February-2006, 06:25 PM
Oi Fletch!

:drool:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Stop it:blush:

It could have been worse, I had to go to a tag wrestling match with him and 'Big Daddy' and 'Giant Haystacks' I don't know which one is worse:sick:

:whistle:

Little Monkey
23rd-February-2006, 06:39 PM
Hmmmm......

I've met a few famous people and celebs, but most of them are Norwegian!! If you're into rally driving and motor sports, you might be familiar with the name Petter Solberg (world champ rally driver) - I went to school with him for 3 years (13-16).

Also been partying with Kari Traa, Norwegian olympic gold medalist in moguls (only silver this year), and met a few tv presenters, musicians and comedians.

Have met Morten Harket from AHA.

Oh, and have been backstage with the boys from ZZ Top - they're lovely! :D

Apparently I also hit the Norwegian Crown Prince over the head with my toy car when we were both ickle! :D

Dreadful Scathe
23rd-February-2006, 07:11 PM
I've met the very famous Alan Grant (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Grant) at his nephews (who is my friend..not seen 'im for years now though) 21st.

Beat that :)

Minnie M
23rd-February-2006, 07:25 PM
just found Uncle Tony (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tigon_British_Film_Productions)on Wikipedia :clap:

Piglet
23rd-February-2006, 07:54 PM
Andrew Roachford....

This is the one that's wowed me most so far. You lucky thing!

Which reminds me... Annie Lennox's uncle taught me history!
I also went to secondary school with Bryan Burnett, but I think he's mainly on Scottish TV and radio.

Jive Brummie
23rd-February-2006, 08:10 PM
Well, I've met naebdy' famous but Melanie has...

Jimmy Saville & Chris Eubank

(not at the same time!)

J x x

Missy D
23rd-February-2006, 09:47 PM
Chris Evans, Finlay quaye, Jim Kerr, Danny Baker, Bjork all on TFI (gosh i was naked too):whistle:

Shared a house with The Wildhearts & Snuff (Rock and punk bands).

Met Martin Degville and Tony James (think that was his name) who at the time was dating Janet Street Porter.

Met Boy George and Marilyn in a club in Camden.

Bros :blush:

Steve Tyler in a veggie restuarant in L.A.

David Seamen.

Avril Lavigne (what a cutie).

Mark knofler,

Helena Bonham Carter.

Sharleen Spitari

Ah the list goes on!

jivecat
23rd-February-2006, 10:04 PM
I haven't met anybody famous but my younger sister and brother were delivered by the same midwife that delivered Michael Heseltine. Apparently.

Minnie M
23rd-February-2006, 10:31 PM
........Narrowly missed out on meeting Tina Turner........
:respect: now that is someone I would like to meet :flower:

I used to work for Robert Stigwood - he managed a lot of very big stars including The Bee Gees, Eric Clapton etc., so I often spoke to them on the phone and saw them when they came to the office - felt really strange to speak to them in your "office voice"

Lynn
23rd-February-2006, 10:39 PM

Jimmy Saville... He was at the hotel at Scarborough.

Met various local TV celebs...(well NI is fairly small) and well known equestrian names (people, not the horses).

Going to Prague once with friends, John Hanna (Sliding Doors, Four Weddings etc) was on our flight - my friend stopped to say hello, couldn't think of what to say so instead introduced me to him.:rofl:

Feelingpink
23rd-February-2006, 10:41 PM
Thanks RK for mentioning Nancy Wake - I've interviewed her (after someone explained exactly who she was).

Also interviewed Stevie Wonder (at 1am), Men at Work, pianist David Helfgott, Rose Tattoo, Georgie Fame, RM Williams, James Morrison, Choirboys (& jammed with most of the band until dawn) and INXS.

I fell in love with James Morrison when I met him - turned into a dribbling wreck - so he took my notebook and started interviewing me. Alas, he chose to marry an ex-Miss Australia.

ducasi
24th-February-2006, 12:28 AM
Only person I can think of really famous that I've properly met is Tom Baker, at a book signing, when he was still Doctor Who. That was a long time ago, when I was very young!

I've "encountered" a few other famous folks... Most recently, Michelle McManus back at Hogmanay, and Robert Carlyle walking down the street, near to where I live...

I'm not really the sort to be wowed by fame, so although I know I've met a bunch of other famous folks, no names immediately come to mind...

Let me think... Ian Macaskill's dad was my headmaster in primary school, and I think I went to school with David Moyes (or was it his cousin? Either way, I know his aunt.) I don't suppose anyone really cares about these folks though...

djtrev
24th-February-2006, 12:29 AM
My wife used to be a cabaret dancer in her teens and early twenties,having done all the Pantomime stuff when she was very little,so she has been on stage with a few "stars" of the day-Bob Monkhouse,Clive Dunn,Jimmy Young but the one I think she enjoyed meeting the most was Bobby Ball of Cannon and Ball.Whenever they appear locally she always makes a point of going to see them.

Asif
24th-February-2006, 12:44 AM
Well .....

I had dinner with Bobby Moore (footballer), John Conteh (British World Champ Boxer) and Nigel Mansell (World Champ Racing Driver) many years ago at my works Xmas party, while being entertained by Hale and Pace. At the same time, my boss was Jeremy Bates's Brother (British Tennis Pro, before Tim Henman) :cool:

I went out with a first cousin to Princess Grace of Monaco. :wink:

I am related to the actor Art Malik (some distant connection) :what:

I was "ushering" at a Cinema during a Royal Premier, where i met Mohammed Ali, David Attenborough ..... and Meatloaf!! :grin:

I met Princess Diana at the Royal Premier of Miss Saigon.

Another time,at the same cinema, I had to ask Princess Micheal of Kent to stop moving seats because they were all allocated numbers and it was causing problems with all the other people coming in, who's seats they were now sitting in. Their plain-clothed security guard kept looking at me, while keeping one hand INSIDE HIS JACKET :eek:

I got a "thumbs up" from Graham Norton, while i was pretending to be one of the paparazzi at a premier film showing becuase i was using a disposable camera :rofl:

But best of all, i not only got to meet my childhood icon Johnny Ball when i was young but i then SAT next to him during the one of the last Strictly Come Dancing shows .... and we even relived old memories!! :D

foxylady
24th-February-2006, 12:52 AM
hmm...
I shook hands with Tommy Steele when I was quite little (young), I was at school with Telly Savalas' daughter, and Michael Heseltines', I was at uni with Vanessa Feltz, Prince Edward (but I only danced next to him at a disco, and my husband (to be) tackled him at rugby - does that count ?)...

When I was on set with Swing Kids, I spent a lot of time with Robert Sean Leonard, and Christian Bale (:drool: ), Tushka Bergen and Jessica Stevenson... (the latter two I knew for quite a while afterwards), I sat next to Barbara Hershey in make up, and was in scenes with Martin Clunes and Noah Wylie...

I know Michelle Collins, Dermot Murnaghan, Lesley Garret, Steve McFadden, Juliet Stevenson and Edward Highmore (Leo from Howards way) via school and other childrens stuff ... Infact I have taught Michelle and Dermots daughters to dance.

My tennis coach was Steve Dury (Jo Dury's brother), and I spent a week in La Manga on a Jo Dury tennis week, and spent oodles of time eating drinking and playing tennis with her and her coach, and we met Jeremy bates when we were there too !!

Clive Owen goes to my gym (but I haven't actually met him, just watched him, :drool: , whilst he works out....)

Ste
24th-February-2006, 02:24 AM
Not in any order and some are unknown to ordinary punters but famous to professional musicians:

1. I was a friend of Craig Charles, when we were kids. He did visit my dad a few years ago but I wasn't in. Strange thing was when I was in Hertfordshire I was in a park and met him there. Then about 2 years later I heard someone call my name. It was Craig and this time it was Birmingham Broad Street. Strange ,eh. What people don't know about Craig is that he was brilliant at sport and probably could have made it as a pro footballer.

2. Diane Loiuse Jordan ( spoken to her a few times); Bill Oddie ( at a Spyro Gyra/ Robben Ford gig ...probably best gig i have ever been to)

3. Gary Moore, George Harrison ( just a hallo in Harlesden at McD's just before a Robben FOrd gig), Robben Ford ( he used to play with Miles Davis), Brian Connolly, Tony Clarkin ( Magnum), Brian Connolly ( the Sweet) , Buster Bloodvessel ( he said I was a great singer...hehehe...but Donna and Will know how badly I sing) Oscar ( Mari Wilson Band) ... I was doing some session work in London on stuff he was going to play on , Sal Solo ( New Romance?)who told me off for not becoming a pro musician; Tygers of Pan Tang; Sammy Hagar ( he gave me a plectrum). I would have liked to have met John Sykes who played with THin Lizzy and is still one of my heroes; Birelli Lagrene (the legendary young gypsy guitarist ...he is a bit older now!) and I think I also met Babique Reinhardt who is the son of Django Rheinhardt and is well known in his own right; Pete Brown ( who was famous in the sixties for being the writer of the lyrics of Cream). I met him at the Pat Martino ( see below ) gig. I did not know who he was. I just got talking to him.

4. I have played onstage with David and Carrie Grant and also their friend Jo who was another Fame Academy coach (she told me off when I was noodling on my guiitar before playing and said I was unprofessional)

5. I once met a guy called Ralph Salmon (top session drummer) and he took me backstage at a gig and I met one of my great heroes Larry Carlton who was probably the top session guitarist at one time (I know some of his stuff note for note ) and my great great hero Steve Lukather ( Toto/ "Thriller"/ Lionel RItchie...he plays the solo on Running in the Night) who was then top session guitarist. I know loads of his stuff note for note.

6 Martin Taylor ( he played on the Clio adverts and used to play with Stephane Grappelli ). I have met him a few times. I know his stuff note for note. Once at a guitar show I was messing on a guitar and playing Martin's stuff ....then he walked by just after I had stopped. It could have been very embarrassing.

7. Ike Isaacs who helped to develop Martin. Ike (RIP) used to be BBC guitarist. I went to his house in Australia and he fed me and then jammed with me.

8. I have played in bands that supported Amazulu ( so I met them) and Mud ( I met Les Gray and he gave me some strawberry cake which I took to the lady I fancied at the time).

9. Stuart Elliott. He used to play on Kate Bush albums and maybe still does. I went to his house because I know his son who I have played in bands with.

10. Hermann Li. I was in a band in London and our bass player left and joined a band called Dragonheart now called Dragonheart. The bass player had a party and I met Hermann and I think the lead singer there.Hermann was voted best young guitarist by Metal Hammer.

11. Louis Stewart, a great Irish Jazz guitarist and friend of Martin Taylor. I can't remember whether I have met him at my tutor's house but I did meet him at a gig.

12. The Dum Dums. I was playing a gig and we the house band were supporting this unknown band. The singer liked my guitar sound and I said he could borrow my equipment. They were very bare but I could hear the quality and told one of the event organisers. Later I heard that Robbie Williams were interested in them and I think they signed to Sony. I think they had several top 20 hits but were dropped. They were better than many of the bands that you hear today and were compared to the Beatles.

12. Will Hargeaves. ( hehe) I have supported him in various bands!

13. Derek Hatton ( I served him at my Dad's restaurant and met him again years later on a street in Manchester); Bryan Hamilton the former Tranmere Rovers and Northern Ireland Manager ( I served him at my Dad's chippie...he asked me if I knew anyone with money!);Steve Coppell (I met him when he was very young and came to my school); Steve Heighway ( ex Liverpool): John Barnes ( I have met him a couple of times with Donna and Donna keeps complaining that I am star struck...but one of friend's is a friend of his lad).

14. Matthew Allright or Allbright (the cosumer rights guy). I actually met him at a pub in Acton watching a liverpool game and did not know that he was famous. He didn't have a car with him and so I offered him a lift home in my D reg escort and took him home and it was only later that someone from the BBC (his mate) told me that he was a presenter.

I have met a lot of famous musicians and rarely felt overrawed. But there was one time when I got really really excited before I met him and this was the bebop jazz guitarist Pat Martino. He is an incredible guitar player and I know some of his stuff note for note as well. He is also incredibly humble. He taught my tutor a little some years ago and also offered to teach me. I suppose what these guys don't realise is that you know their music so well and their notes are so much part of you that they are in a sense your mentors. So when you meet them it means so much more to you than they can imagine. Their guitar chops are now part of your psyche.

One guy I would love to meet is a gentleman called Reinhard Bonnke. I have never met him but I have been just a few feet away. I was once asked to play for a band at Wembley Arena where he was speaking but strangely I turned the opportunity down because I wanted to go away with my youth group ( I did actually have a great time!).

fletch
24th-February-2006, 08:20 AM

Jimmy Saville & Chris Eubank

(not at the same time!)

J x x

This was Scarborough last month:sick:

Crazy Russian
24th-February-2006, 08:43 AM
Audrey Hepburn in my dream... :awe: :awe: :worthy:

Rhythm King
24th-February-2006, 10:47 AM
I used to work for Robert Stigwood

My parents knew him, he used to come to our home and once, when he wanted to use an estate car, my father loaned him ours and in return, had the use of Robert's car for a week.

I was at boarding school and my parents came down for a visit one weekend (an exeat). As we walked out from the boarding house there was this fabulous Bentley, with the private plate RS1 and I went up to it and said "this will be ours then, will it?" Imagine my surprise when my father produced the keys and ushered me into it.

R-K

Aleks
24th-February-2006, 11:01 AM
Ninette de Valois - founder of the Royal Ballet School.
Viviana Durante - gave her a lift to her first lodgings when she moved from Rome.
Used to babysit for Arthur English's youngest (caretaker in Rentaghost) and Carl Myers/Sherilyn Kennedy's two children.

And....Torville/Dean used to train at the same ballet school as me. Their class was straight after mine.

TA Guy
24th-February-2006, 11:03 AM
I got pushed out of the way by George Micheal at the start of his pop career at Hartspring sports center bar in Bushey. I, apparently, missed Robson Green when he came to a Mojive freestyle (does that count?), My lady friend told me after. Female queue was reportedly a mile long. There's was a group of less famous comedians in ankle length leather coats looking like the mafia who bummed a fag off me in Soho years ago :), but noone I can really say I've 'met' :( Oh, Matt Le Tissier in Eastleigh Macdonalds :) but he was to busy stuffing down a Big Mac :)

Daisy Chain
24th-February-2006, 01:11 PM
I've had my bottom pinched outside Nantwich Civic Hall by John Kirkpatrick (the famous folk musician)

And I've been on the Shuttle with ALex Ferguson and some Man U footballers (apparently). Can't say I recognised them...

Daisy

(A Slighty Bruised Little FLower)

Asif
24th-February-2006, 02:10 PM
Oohh, just remembered another.

I did the "Run the World" 10 km run around Hyde Park and was running alongside Bob Geldof for a while. Funniest bit was when the run finished - runners were told to keep moving/running for a bit longer so as not to block the finish line area. Cliff Richard finished, jumped into his chauferred car and then tried to drive out AGAINST the direction of all of us after the finish line!!

Security stopped his car and made him turn around and go back!!

Lynn
24th-February-2006, 02:15 PM
One guy I would love to meet is a gentleman called Reinhard Bonnke. I have never met him but I have been just a few feet away. I was once asked to play for a band at Wembley Arena where he was speaking but strangely I turned the opportunity down because I wanted to go away with my youth group ( I did actually have a great time!).If you've heard of him (never met him or heard him myself) you might have heard of John Piper, RT Kendall etc? I look after various international speakers when they come to NI for a summer conference.

I'm sure I've met other folk but I'm not usually terribly star struck - when people say 'oh so and so is over there', I don't tend to rush over for a better look or to say hi (unless its someone I would actually like to talk to.) And living in NI most of the 'celebs' I would meet are local and most folk here wouldn't have heard of them.

I Can't say I recognised them...I didn't recognise Van Morrison when he was at the next table in a cafe once, until a rather star struck waitress pointed him out. He's often at one of my 'local' cafes apparently, but I possibly wouldn't recognise him again!

Minnie M
24th-February-2006, 02:27 PM
My parents knew him, he used to come to our home and once, when he wanted to use an estate car, my father loaned him ours and in return, had the use of Robert's car for a week........
:clap: thank you Richard - didn't think anyone on this forum would know who he was :blush: to think he was behind some of the really big names in the 70's & 80's :respect:

Tessalicious
24th-February-2006, 02:35 PM
I've not got many, but here they are anyway:

I went to school with, and played chamber music with, Kate Maberly (star of the film version of The Secret Garden) and her sister Polly (played Kitty in the TV Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth), as well as for years having a huge crush on one of their brothers. Also a school link, although a different school - Norman Cook, better known to most as FatBoy Slim, went to my school, although well before me, and an old guitar of his is a relic of the Physics department (with "The Housemartins" scratched in the back).

I've also played in many concerts with Richard Stilgoe at his home in Surrey, and with Guy Johnston, the Young Musician of the Year 2000. And my piano-teaching lineage can be traced back to Beethoven.

More mainstream, I've met Dame Judi Dench, and am related to Geoffrey Palmer (among other things, her co-star in that very silly sit-com, As Time Goes By). Oh, and it may be second-hand, and I don't think I'm exactly proud of it, but my ex-boyfriend belongs to a family who are on pretty friendly terms with the Bushes (particularly G Dubayah) :sick: .

Heather M
24th-February-2006, 05:33 PM
Met a few famous people...

Graham Norton (I was studying at Manchester RNCM - where last year's Strictly Dance Fever auditions were held), Leo Sayer, William Roache (Ken Barlow from Coronation Street), Sean McGuire (think he used to be in Eastenders?), Dieter Brummer (used to be in Home and Away years ago!), also ALMOST met Darius Danesh :awe: a couple of years ago - when I was at uni I auditioned to play in his band for some TV gigs and was accepted :clap: but they all got cancelled. :tears::tears::tears::tears::tears:

Heather M
24th-February-2006, 05:38 PM
oh, and Prince William while studying at St Andrews :nice:

Petal
24th-February-2006, 07:57 PM
Going to Prague once with friends, John Hanna (Sliding Doors, Four Weddings etc) was on our flight - my friend stopped to say hello, couldn't think of what to say so instead introduced me to him.:rofl:

I am sooooo jealous:drool: .

Working at football/rugby matches met, Denis Law, Henrik Larsson, Ally McCoist, Derek Johnstone, Kenny Dalgleish, Martin O'Neill, the All Blacks rugby team:what:. Members of coldplay, franz ferdinand, can't remember which ones cause it was a couple of years ago before they were famous. Oh and Bryan Adams when he was walking down Perth High Street.(He was doing his unplugged tour).

fletch
24th-February-2006, 08:22 PM
A guy I dance with at Wolverhampton is an agent of some sorts, and is best friends with Richard Branson he was in the paper recently with Richard and Nelson Mandella, they are doing something with Diana's land mines.:worthy:

ho and when we were dancing last Thursday his mobil rang and it was BRAD PITT:drool:

I didn't speek but did listen in dose it count:confused:

DianaS
24th-February-2006, 09:21 PM
I went to see a some musicians that were friends on a friend and invited my old next door neighboor back for tea and a chat. When she turned up she brought "the band" with her as her partner was doing the sound and she had the only key.
They weren't people that I knew at the time (not really liking folk) but they stayed and stayed and drank me out of tea and eat all my biscuits. I threw them all out around 3 cas I had work the next day, and they were most put out!
Next time I met my mate she said you really don't know who they are do you?
She went on to explain how famous they all are Fairport convention people icons of their time etc. I can only remember one guy called Ric (I think) cas he was a lecturer in music at a local university and we'd talked about that. We'd just clicked and I we'd talked about loads of stuff I was a lecturer too at the time.
They'd really relaxed and not wanted to go home, they'd not met any one far ages who didn't know any thing about them. I'd only gone to meet my mate cas I'd moved away! can't say that I'd even liked the set.

Piglet
24th-February-2006, 10:28 PM
When I worked in a cinema, I once took the ticket stubs for Gordon Strachan and his wife - in the days when he played for Aberdeen FC and they used to be a decent team. I couldn't get over how small he was.

I also remember the doorman (Steve) telling about the time Paul Daniels and Debbie McGee came in to watch a film and asked for a recommendation. Steve told him he should go and see the film in cinema 3 cos "he'd like it, but not a lot" :rofl:

Gadget
24th-February-2006, 10:50 PM
I've met Franck Pauly :worthy:

and some folk may not have heard of him, but Steve Lampert is the DJ at my local venue :worthy: He has also been known to dance on occasion.

... that's about the most famous people I've met. My mum went to school with Golly(?) the Guillie from "Monarch of the Glen" and my grandpa went to school with David Bellamy. I've had a book signed by Terry Pratchett... but who hasn't. I've heckled Jack Dee... but who hasn't. :)

Andy McGregor
25th-February-2006, 12:00 AM
I've just got back from a glass of wine and afternoon tea with Tessa Jowell. I don't like her politics but she's very nice, very friendly and surprisingly pretty in real life :flower:

CJ
28th-February-2006, 01:20 PM
This was Scarborough last month:sick:

Which one's which?!?

Have met various band members: Metallica, Maiden, Dio, etc.
Supported and met Wishbone Ash, Nazareth, Diamond Head.

Did a speach in front of Frank Bruno, Annie Lennox,Phil Collins (plus others I'm struggling to remember) HRH The Prince of Wales, and have 3 Christmas cards from Charles and Diana with their sigs on.:D

(somewhere:tears: )

Have always had a soft spot and much respect for Annie Lennox since.

BeeBee
28th-February-2006, 01:27 PM
When our big Homebase was closing down Carol Smillie and the guy who plays Gregory in Gregorys Girl (Gordon Sinclair??? :confused: ) came in on the scadge for bargains. Gordon got a few verbal pelters from the locals, and left! Carol just got wolf whistles :rolleyes:

Crazy Russian
28th-February-2006, 01:40 PM
Which one's which?!?

Have met various band members: Metallica...

WOW!!! You are really a lucky person!!!

I have dreamt to meet Metallica for whole my life! But they visited Russia only in 1991 when I was 6 years old. :tears: :tears: :tears:

By the way, do you know when they will release their new album? James said that they had already "outlined" two their new songs.

BeeBee
28th-February-2006, 01:46 PM
. . . and some folk may not have heard of him, but Steve Lampert is the DJ at my local venue :worthy: He has also been known to dance on occasion.

Naaaah, he doesnt dance, he's just a beginner :rolleyes:

Andy McGregor
28th-February-2006, 05:51 PM
Naaaah, he doesnt dance, he's just a beginner :rolleyes:Steve and I spoke last week and he told me that after years of dancing he's not a beginner anymore :confused:

Piglet
28th-February-2006, 07:31 PM
Steve and I spoke last week and he told me that after years of dancing he's not a beginner anymore :confused:
That must have been a hoax caller :rofl:
Anyway - even I don't class him as famous - isn't he more infamous?

Barry Shnikov
1st-March-2006, 12:39 AM
Shane Ritchie, the queen, Noel Edmonds, Joely Richardson, the queen mother, Martin Sheen, Jeffrey Archer, Jacqui Dankworth, Michael Lindsay Hogg, Simon Cadell. Was at school with Bruce Dickinson and gave a dancing lesson to Kate Garraway.

Now, the real question is - who has slept with a celeb?

(Not me, by the way.)

Andy McGregor
1st-March-2006, 01:27 AM

(Not me, by the way.)I heve been nightclubbing in Southampton with Julian Clary - nobody slept :innocent:

Mary
1st-March-2006, 10:44 AM

(Not me, by the way.)

Hmmm. One can make some money with kiss and tell stories.

M

Lory
1st-March-2006, 11:03 AM

I've played 'suck and blow' with Brian Conley :really: (it's only a puppet:wink: :whistle: )

Actually, it's not quite as bad as it sounds:innocent: .... its a game, where you have to pass a playing card from person to person, using only your mouth, you suck to keep the card there and blow to pass it on.

Brian insisted that me and my mate Sally sat either side of him because all the other men left in the game were gay! :rofl:

Donna
1st-March-2006, 02:46 PM
I've played 'suck and blow' with Brian Conley :really: (it's only a puppet:wink: :whistle: )

Actually, it's not quite as bad as it sounds:innocent: .... its a game, where you have to pass a playing card from person to person, using only your mouth, you suck to keep the card there and blow to pass it on.

Brian insisted that me and my mate Sally sat either side of him because all the other men left in the game were gay! :rofl:

That's a good un'!:rofl:

WittyBird
1st-March-2006, 07:19 PM

Just me then :rofl:

Rhythm King
1st-March-2006, 07:58 PM
Whilst I was serving in the Falklands, some years ago, Joe Pasquale came to visit, with a Combined Services Entertainment Show, for the troops. After the performance we entertained the cast in the Mess. I offered him a drink and he replied in that high pitched voice he uses. Having had a couple of drinks I said to him "You don't have to act in here - you can use your normal voice" and he replied "this IS my normal voice" - oops! :blush: To top it off the RSM then interjected "- Gin and Tonic was it Sir? - Squeak up!"

Barry Shnikov
1st-March-2006, 08:21 PM
Supported and met Wishbone Ash

:respect:

Which line-up - Andy Powell and Ted Turner:drool: ?
(Referring to their musical prowess, obviously...)

Daydreaming Diva
17th-September-2006, 10:51 PM
Talking to a colleague today - turns out she used to work as a dental nurse and has been in attendance to the queen when she was at Balmoral.I couldn't resist responding to this very old thread.

I worked for the Prince's Trust for a while a couple of years ago. I got to meet Prince Charles. A strangely soft spoken man. Very charming!

When I was 18 I was on the same bill with Edison Lighthouse in a charity concert compered by Chris Denning, oh yes, and the infamous Jonathan King. It was quite a thrill when Chris Denning announced my brother and I (a folk duo) as the best up-and-coming duo he'd heard in ages. Later, the review in the paper gave us a huge paragraph's worth of praise, whereas Edison Lighthouse got a couple of lines, just saying that they had sung 'Love Grows where my Rosemary goes'. Unfortunately we only ever peformed for charity, and never were up or coming!

More recently I have performed with Richard Stilgoe and Peter Skellern at the Orpheus Trust and at concerts to raise money for the Trust in Richard's own lounge/theatre with a picnic for the audience in his back garden (half of Surrey :rofl: )

Probably my biggest thrill was singing the soprano solos in Poulenc's Gloria with John Rutter :respect: conducting. Yes that was thrilling!

What can I be thinking of - biggest thrill has to have been dancing with the legendary Frank :worthy: when Tessa and I recently visited Scotland. :wink: Not forgetting you either CJ - well wicked :kiss:

Dynamo
17th-September-2006, 11:36 PM
How do I say this and not sound bad

I struggled through a crowd in a dreadfull hurry many years ago in brighton.

To be met by a very colourfull man in bizarre glasses saying, "so you are keen for my autograph"

I apologised and said I was not pushing in

"Thats ok, your so polite I will sign anyway" came the reply

"No, its ok. I'm just in a hurry"

The man then quipped, " Bet you dont know who I am then"

Memory charged ahead of diplomacy :innocent: and I announced " You are Chris Biggins, but I'm still in a hurry"

Disappearing into the crowd I realised how bad our meeting sounded :blush:

He never was a childhood idol, but the replies now sound harsh, though never ment so :o

Frankie_4711
18th-September-2006, 08:22 AM
Quite a few actually ....

Boy George, Morten Harket, Jools Holland, Sinitta, all of Sigue Sigue Sputnik, the cast of Red Dwarf, Timmy Mallet, Sylvester McCoy, Sophie Aldred, John Nathan Turner, George Spanswick (no, I didn't know who she was either, but apparently she was on some Saturday morning kids TV thing or other!), Tim Whitnall, PJ Proby, Michael Shanks, Christopher Judge, Alexis Cruz, Tom McBeath, Nicholas Parsons, Robin Cousins ... there's probably some I've forgotten as well.

Beowulf
18th-September-2006, 08:23 AM
I've had my arm around Linda Lusardi's Shoulders and been kicked on the bum by one of the Grumbleweeds (remember them?)

(Family holiday.. Blackpool Yonks ago.. I must have been around 16/17? ) Went to some banal show , our cheap seats exited by the stage door and when we were leaving so were the "stars"

Got my picture taken with my arm around L.L. shoulders.. (She's actually quite short) then the short fat one from the Grumbleweeds came out kicked me on the bum and made some witty comment about "getting yer 'ands off me bird!"

Oh how we laughed :rolleyes:

Also another time in Blackpool (Was Parents holiday destination of choice when I was younger) I helped Roy "Say what you see" Walker though the hotel doors with his suitcases. Helped him with his luggage then smiled and went off on my way.. wasn't until I got back to my parents that they said "Didn't you know who that was?" Hope I didn't dent his ego when I neglected to ask him for his autograph

No BIG stars though.

straycat
18th-September-2006, 08:30 AM
Got kissed by Katie Humble when I was seventeen :awe:. Not sure if that counts, because she wasn't famous then....

Oh and I met Trampy a few times. Didn't kiss him though :wink:

TiggsTours
18th-September-2006, 03:05 PM
I sold Bernie Winters some asprin when I was working for Boots as a Saturday girl once.

I also spent a whole week on holiday with Sunetra Sastry (Rowan Atkinson's wife and an ex-model) a couple of years ago. We were the only 2 people booked into a yoga sanctuary, so we literally spent the whole week chatting and got on brilliantly. She's gorgeous, and a really lovely person.

Oh, and my mum's cousin is Kenny Sampson (old footballer, was supposed to be really good and played for England, I'm told), but even she has never met him.

Twirly
18th-September-2006, 03:33 PM
The nearest I’ve got to meeting anyone famous (that I’ve actually recognised) was David Byrne when I went to Later with Jules many years ago. A friend worked at the Beeb, so we got to go to the party afterwards. I’m a major Talking Heads fan, and love a lot of DB’s solo stuff too. Until that point I’d never fancied him though, but I went all doe-eyed and soppy when I saw him in the flesh… :awe: apparently my two male (straight) flatmates were a couple of little puddles on the floor too! :rofl: I stood next to him as he opened a bottle of wine, and struggled to think of something to say, but all I could think of was “I love your music” and I was too embarrassed to say that, so shuffled off to the other side of the room and watched from afar as one of my flatmates jostled him at the buffet and stood on his foot… ah, happy days!:awe:

And for anyone old enough to remember, I used to know the very first DJ on Radio Caroline (and no, I don’t remember that far back, I got to know him well after that!). You youngesters will probably be saying "Radio who?" :rolleyes:

Frankie_4711
18th-September-2006, 05:38 PM
... there's probably some I've forgotten as well.

Knew there would be ...

John Cleese, Jason Schombing, Pauline Henry from The Chimes (used to be my landlady!) ... and one I didn't expect: I was cable-channel-hopping the other day and I came across my best friend from secondary school presenting The Antiques Ghost Show on FTN!:eek:

Piglet
18th-September-2006, 09:56 PM
Maybe this is a good place for a celebrity anecdote told to me by a family member.

Ronnie Wood's wife was over in Dubai staying in the same hotel as my relatives in the last year for the horse racing season.

She told them that she'd gone to the reception and asked if she could have a "Daily Mail" in her room every day. They very quickly refused her.

She queried why she couldn't have one and was told that they didn't supply a "Daily Mail".

She asked if there were any other English newspapers that they could deliver to her room, when the receptionist queried "oh! you want a newspaper!" :rofl:

Apologies if I've told this before - have a feeling a de ja vue

Minnie M
19th-September-2006, 08:01 AM
My very famous (to some) Uncle Sammy (http://movies2.nytimes.com/gst/movies/filmography.html?p_id=113855)(known as Tony to his film friends)
With a couple of HIS famous friends - disguised in their civies :really:(can you guess who they are)

Cruella
19th-September-2006, 08:12 AM
My very famous (to some) Uncle Sammy (http://movies2.nytimes.com/gst/movies/filmography.html?p_id=113855)(known as Tony to his film friends)
With a couple of HIS famous friends - disguised in their civies :really:(can you guess who they are)

Laurel and Hardy!
Better known as Witty and Fletch :whistle:

TheTramp
19th-September-2006, 08:17 AM
Got kissed by Katie Humble when I was seventeen :awe:. Not sure if that counts, because she wasn't famous then....

Oh and I met Trampy a few times. Didn't kiss him though :wink:

I feel somehow cheated! :tears:

Dreadful Scathe
19th-September-2006, 08:38 AM
I'm apparrantly related to Kenny Sampson (big football star), but I've never met him,..[snip]... I spent a week living with Rowan Atkinson's wife, Suneta Sastry, in a yoga retreat in Ibiza, as we were the only 2 people booked in, she is absolutely beautiful, and a really lovely person. [snip]
Ooh! I did sell Bernie Winters some asprin once!

I sold Bernie Winters some asprin when I was working for Boots as a Saturday girl once.

I also spent a whole week on holiday with Sunetra Sastry (Rowan Atkinson's wife and an ex-model) a couple of years ago. We were the only 2 people booked into a yoga sanctuary, so we literally spent the whole week chatting and got on brilliantly. She's gorgeous, and a really lovely person.

Oh, and my mum's cousin is Kenny Sampson (old footballer, was supposed to be really good and played for England, I'm told), but even she has never met him.

C'mon Tiggs its only been 6 months since the first post :)

..its funny - i think i repeat myself all the time too

straycat
19th-September-2006, 09:00 AM
I feel somehow cheated! :tears:

iirc, you did invite me to be 'your bitch', but I declined :cool:
(anyway I'm sure you say that to all the guys :na:)

mrs_warwick
19th-September-2006, 05:59 PM
I sang in a choir with Aled Jones before he was famous - I was 11 or 12 at the time, he was a year older.
Frank Bruno stayed in the hotel I worked in. I was off the night The Cure were there, and away the week Corenation Street were filming in the area.
I've met Terry Pratchett often enough that he recognises me, even if he can't remember my name.

Frankie_4711
19th-September-2006, 06:04 PM
I've met Terry Pratchett often enough that he recognises me, even if he can't remember my name.

Ooh yes! Forgot about Mr Pratchett - met him too.

WittyBird
19th-September-2006, 06:10 PM
Laurel and Hardy!

Only just seen this :rofl: you cheeky beatch LMFAO

Which one am I then?

littlewiggle
19th-September-2006, 06:19 PM
I went to Thailand in February this year and had my Picture taken with the comedian, Stan Boardman at Patpong night market - that's my claim to fame - sad but true!

Warwick
20th-September-2006, 01:06 AM
Well I spent some time as a lighting engineer before the call of the computers got too strong.

So Dire Straits (all of them), Pop will eat itself (idiots), Jules Holland, Billy Piper, lots more B and C list singers.

Real unexpected people.

I changed a wheel on Fergie's car. She was in Weybridge and unattended by any security. It took me a while to work out who she was and was post the divorce. The security bods didn't turn up until after I'd finished and told her not to go over 50 on the space saver the merc provided.

While driving through a multi storey carpark in Woking, Jo exclaimed "That's Robert powell!". My response was "Who the hell is Robert Powell?". The look he gave me was pure hate.

In Toys'r'us in Woking with a friend, we noted the Brian May was in the same aisle. We quietly brought his attention to this and had a response of "who's Brian May?". Dr. May found it funny. Especially when we explained that he was an astrophysicist who had a sideline in playing the guitar.

McJester
20th-September-2006, 02:01 AM
To add to my above posting of many months ago :

Paul McKenna - one of my NLP trainers

Richard Bandler - really famous in the NLP world and one of it's Grandfathers, plus one of my trainers

Michel Neil - Famous American success Coach and amazingly nice bloke..also one of my trainers... notice a pattern

One of the extras from Eastenders, can't remember his name but he has been a background character in it for years ( large over weight, brown hair, thin beard, works on the market)... he was on my course in April

Don't know it she counts as Famous - The Belgium Ambassador on a HHH run a few years back, but didn't know it at the time.

Patrick
20th-September-2006, 07:20 AM
Matt Lucas was probably the nicest. Met him in McDonalds Shaftesbury Ave (!) in his Shooting Stars but pre Little Britain days. He freely admitted that he was not really a very accomplished drummer.. but he is very funny. He was on the way to see an NYMT show that my daughter was in (Bugsy Malone). We had a drink at the interval, talked about his National Youth Music Theatre days - charming guy.

Barry Humphries, an hour before his opening night in Oliver! at the Palladium - 'sorry I can't stop to chat for long, I haven't learned my lines yet...' He was great.

Despite a lifelong crush on Jenny Agutter, she is now off my Xmas card list for running away when I recognised her in the street :awe: :tears: :tears: Likewise Robert Lindsay (no crush, so :na: )

OTOH, Terry Wogan loved the attention, even larger than life in real life...

fletch
20th-September-2006, 08:36 AM
Laurel and Hardy!

oooooo cheeky :eek:

I'm not going to ask which is which :na:

Minnie M
26th-September-2006, 07:35 PM
See that BBC2 advert with Elvis this evening reminded me .............

I grew up with Jimmy Page (his real name) from the ages of 15 to 18, I am 11 months older than him.

Dynamo
26th-September-2006, 08:02 PM
See that BBC2 advert with Elvis this evening reminded me .............

I grew up with Jimmy Page (his real name) from the ages of 15 to 18, I am 11 months older than him.

Thanks MM you just reminded me...

I grew up with Emerson, Lake and Palmer. (of Fanfare for the common Man Fame) :waycool:

Greg Lake played, the Organ in Schhol Assembly :really: :waycool:

I used to go fishing with the younger brothers, who were in my class. Sometimes the Older brothers came down to join us, often mulling over this very tune in its different versions. :waycool:

A few years later it was number 1 :waycool: and we never saw them then. :sad:

Minnie M
26th-September-2006, 08:14 PM
...........A few years later it was number 1 :waycool: and we never saw them then. :sad:
Wonder if Jimmy would acknowledge me if I ever met him again, he must remember me as we used to meet up 2 or 3 times a week

mick s
26th-September-2006, 08:49 PM
Hard to compete with Fletch but here goes:

Shared a bag of Chips with Joe Strummer (Clash). All of the Ramones ( briefly).

Boy George, Marilyn, and dare I say Gary Glitter, Richard Smith (Cure), Suggs (Madness). Sting's Brother. Gazza.

My mum has met the Queen (does that Count?).

Christ my spelling is nearly as bad as Fletch.

straycat
26th-September-2006, 11:12 PM
Oh and I nearly got beaten up once by the Warwickshire County Cricket Team. These things happen...

Gadget
27th-September-2006, 12:40 AM
Had a chat with JK Rowling this weekend, I suppose that counts :D
Didn't talk about anything to do with books or 'Potter. She's :waycool:

Rhythm King
27th-September-2006, 01:21 AM
Ok, as there seems to be a bit of New Wave running through the previous posts, here's me with Captain Sensible, on my birthday last year. He'd just given his red beret to my friend who was also celebrating his birthday, and whose party the pic was taken at.

cms
27th-September-2006, 05:36 PM
some peoples posts here are quite impressive! :worthy:

im not so good but some include: texas (the whole lot of them!), the barbarians/alll black/scottish rugby teams, stephen hendry etc from when i worked at gleneagles - scottish rugby team in kilts - mmmm!

i met tony robinson (of blackadder fame!) when he performed in stirling a few months ago - and picked on me during his standup - i was so red!!!

but the piece de resistance......................i met hunter and cobra from the gladiators!!!! (remember them?!!)

C x

Rhythm King
27th-September-2006, 05:43 PM
but the piece de resistance......................i met hunter and cobra from the gladiators!!!! (remember them?!!)

C x

Would rather meet Jet and Lightning :wink: :whistle:

Donna
27th-September-2006, 05:56 PM
Well I've met

Ant and Dec when I did the pop idol auditions. (gareth gates!)

Norman Wisdom

Little and Large

Shnorbit (think that's how you spell it) the dog. And he rushed to the edge of the stage and eat my sausages!!!:tears:

Graham Norton last year.

I can add to this list now...

Anton Du Beke
Hannah Harala and Andrew Cuerdon
Jodie Binstead (not so famous though)
Darren and Lilia Bennet
My ballroom teacher :grin: (well, he waaaas....famous in the dance world that is)
Met Graham Norton AGAIN! & what is scary, is that he remembered me! arggh

Stuart
27th-September-2006, 06:05 PM

I did meet one of the female Gladiators once at the Reading Half marathon, but I can't remember which one. I know she was a brunette and not Jet

Donna
27th-September-2006, 06:12 PM
Anton Du Beke - yeah .... you plus the Southport dancers in June

I'm a tad :confused: What do you mean, "you?" As in me? :rofl: Nah way!

Hannah Harala and Andrew Cuerdon - ???? sorry :blush:

From Strictly Come Dancing?

Jodie Binstead (not so famous though) - ???? is she the dancer from SDF if so, she was at MJC last year
Yep that's the one. :)

Darren and Lilia Bennet - they are regulars at Dorking LeRoc

Reaaaallly? I've gotta move! :drool: darren, oooh darren!

I married a musician who was the backing band to lots of stars, so met many when I was married to him

Interesting.... must have been a great experience.

cms
2nd-October-2006, 11:24 AM

no wonder! :wink: i wonder what happened to them?

c x

Dizzy
2nd-October-2006, 11:38 AM
I was at a birthday party a few weeks ago for a friend of my parents. It was in this big pub with a hall and a lot of people you don't know but who should arrive but SHAYNE WARD (X-factor winner).

To be honest, if it wasn't for my mum running up hysterically to tell me who it is, I would not have recognised him. :blush:

btw, he is much better looking in real life :drool:.

Tartaniad
7th-November-2006, 12:34 AM
Some people know some people.So heres my small pot.

Used to have parties at my sisters in west end of glasgow and a few regulars were The Bluebells(my cousin wrote that song btw),Midge Ure,Claire Grogan,Billy Connelly,ABC.

Also know Marti Pellow as his mum and mine grew up as friends then he turned into a junkie ass.(thankfully cured now).

Im sure there are more but will stop there heads sore remember the parties.:drool:

Paulthetrainer
7th-November-2006, 12:54 AM
I once had a 10 minute chat with double Olympic Gold medallist Kelly Holmes. She was very polite and kept asking me things about myself, but feeling somewhat in awe, I kept changing the topic of conversation back to her....

Another time I nearly ran over former World Javelin record holder Steve Backley as he was crossing the road in Blackfen, London. He kind of stepped out in front of me but I swerved to avoid him, thus allowing him to add to his growing collection of world, commonwealth and olympic medals.

My teacher in primary school was the mother of snooker legend Steve 'Interesting' Davis, who, and this is truly weird, my osteopath friend Claire actually had a major crush on. Go figure. :sick:

My Doctor when I was growing up was Kate Bush's father. Can't remember much about him apart from he wasn't very tall and had what I now know to be a 70's porn star style moustach...

Baruch
7th-November-2006, 02:02 AM
In my teenage years I was really into boxing, and I used to spar regularly at Newbridge ABC with an up-and-coming young star, Joe Calzaghe.

I've met Gareth Edwards (any rugby fan worth their salt will know who he is), and in fact cooked a banquet for him at Caerphilly Castle as I was working for the caterers at the time. It was a rugby club end-of-season dinner and Gareth Edwards was the after-dinner speaker.

I was introduced to and briefly conversed with Dafydd Wigley, who was then leader of Plaid Cymru, at a local party meeting when I was a member a few years back. Speaking of political figures, I also met Neil Kinnock when he was the leader of the Labour Party. He came to my school and presented me (and many others) with a prize (his speech was, I seem to remember, long and boring).

Daisy Fox
7th-November-2006, 11:09 AM
Have been really lucky that when I lived in London, I worked in Events at Planet Hollywood and Sound Republic.

Met loads of celebs at Planet including the big four - Demi Moore (who I shared my cheeseburger with in the office), Bruce Willis, Sly Stallone and Arnie. Also Will Smith.
Then when I was at Sound they filmed the pepsi Chart show and the dressing room was next to my desk so met Spice Girls, Ronan and Westlife to name a few. Oh and when Geri was seeing Chris Evans, they were sitting at my desk snogging!!

Recently went to relaunch party at Sound and met Anton dubeke, Lee Otway, Michelle Heaton and Bianca Gascoigne, and of course met Brendan last Monday.

But, my greatest moment was meeting Muhammed Ali at a book signing in Guildford over 10years ago - legend!

Jhutch
7th-November-2006, 12:46 PM
In terms of met, i think that Suzanne Charlton (weather presenter and daughter of Bobby Charlton) is the only one:blush: When i was at university my class had a talk from Michael Fish (of hurricane fame:rofl: ). Nearly bumped into Noel Edmonds a few years ago. A pretty poor list really:blush:

LadyMarmalade
7th-November-2006, 02:35 PM
I did my nurse training with Abi Titmus.

She was actually really sweet & a nice person - not anything like you see on TV.:devil:

ShinyWeeStar
8th-November-2006, 12:08 AM
I think my list of the famous people that I've met consists of the Hit Squad from the Beechgrove Garden... :rofl:

I did have a dream a few weeks ago though in which I was in some theatre and met the Prince of Wales... as I shook his hand I remember thinking, "Ooh, I can post on the famous person thread now!". :what: :blush: :rofl:

whitetiger1518
8th-November-2006, 04:02 PM
Only person I can say I have met is Terry Pratchett.. He was up signing books at Borders in Glasgow a couple of months ago... Am saving them for a severely bad day ( as a tonic to cheer me up :D )

Whitetiger

latinlover
8th-November-2006, 04:30 PM
Kevin Spacey(at a dinner dance,just before Beyond the Sea came out))
Kate Bush (had tea with her at fortnum & masons)
Noel Edmonds(was my teacher in junior school)
Sir Paul McCartney, George Michael, Gary Numan,Lionel Richie,,Randy Crawford & lots of others(used to work on Top of the Pops)Duran Duran,Spandau ballet , Culture Club,
Lesley Grantham +lots of other eastenders from the old days -in fact Nick Berry(Wicksy)gave me a lift in his range rover to fix my broken down old maxi- what a gent!
Frankie Howerd ,Brian Blessed,Sam Fox, Wayne Sleep,
I also was quite near to Princess Diana, but I didn't MEET her

Piece de resistance......
Rudolf Nureyev

Minnie M
8th-November-2006, 11:32 PM
Kevin Spacey(at a dinner dance,just before Beyond the Sea came out))
Kate Bush (had tea with her at fortnum & masons)
Noel Edmonds(was my teacher in junior school)
Sir Paul McCartney, George Michael, Gary Numan,Lionel Richie,,Randy Crawford & lots of others(used to work on Top of the Pops)Duran Duran,Spandau ballet , Culture Club,
Lesley Grantham +lots of other eastenders from the old days -in fact Nick Berry(Wicksy)gave me a lift in his range rover to fix my broken down old maxi- what a gent!
Frankie Howerd ,Brian Blessed,Sam Fox, Wayne Sleep,
I also was quite near to Princess Diana, but I didn't MEET her

Piece de resistance......
Rudolf Nureyev

:respect: :worthy: and soooooooooo jealous :blush:

Trouble
8th-November-2006, 11:38 PM
My one and only claim to fame is.....about 10 years ago or when Take That had just become famous used to run a contract cleaning company and we had the cleaning contract for the London Arena. When they did a show, our cleaners would be there keeping everything clean and i would attend to do some famous people spotting,, under the guise of Management attendance. Whilst at a music award night, a call was sent out for a member of the team to attend a back area with toilet rolls. The back area was where the really famous hung out so i attended with the senior supervisor to make sure she was ok (to see who i could spot).... We went into the toilets and a man opened the toilet door and asked did we have the toilet roll. (he was sitting on the toilet at this point, trousers at his ankles) - i said hang on, grabbed one and handed it to him, and it was only Robbie Williams. NOW THATS A TRUE STORY....

My only encounter with a famous person, trousers at his ankles, handing over toilet paper...... GREAT :sick:

Mary
8th-November-2006, 11:50 PM
Earlier on this year I was working on a Harold Pinter play for one of the TV channels (still to be transmitted), with a pretty ace cast. The Man himself (Harold) came out to watch on one of the days and I was telling a couple of dance friends (also forumites!) about this, thinking that EVERYONE knew who Harold Pinter was. My excitement about meeting such a litarary icon was completely lost on said friends. So much for name dropping huh?:cool:

On another job recently we were using Greg Rusedski as a tennis playing character. Given all the well-known (and not-so-well known) actors we work with as part of our job, the producer went all girly and had to ask for his autograph! Aww, bless her.:wink: Well, I guess it was a bit of a novelty.:D

M

latinlover
9th-November-2006, 05:21 PM
........... thinking that EVERYONE knew who Harold Pinter was. My excitement about meeting such a litarary icon was completely lost on said friends. So much for name dropping huh?:cool:

M

well I'M impressed
:flower:

Rogboy
7th-August-2007, 10:03 PM
Rock-God Dave Grohl from Nirvana / Foo Fighters...nuff said

:waycool: :waycool: :waycool: :waycool:

sway
8th-August-2007, 09:38 AM
i have met peter andre had hugs and kisses in his hey day about 10 years ago

i have been front row of steven segal on his music tour that was the best as there was nothing inbetween me and the stage o it was like standing net to him stillremember that so well it was the best night ever even missed a night of dancing to go.

to top it off i met mickey mouse :rofl: :rofl:

Terpsichorea
8th-August-2007, 09:48 AM
I met Sasha Baron Cohen at few times at college, and I can't say I thought he was particularly funny. That said, he never mentions me in interviews, so I suppose the feeling was mutual.

Caz
8th-August-2007, 10:19 AM
to top it off i met mickey mouse :rofl: :rofl:

:yeah: Me too, and Minnie Mouse and Donald and Daisy etc etc.. Need I go on :D ...... and yes they are real famous people :wink:

Mezzosoprano
8th-August-2007, 01:17 PM
Hmmmm......

If you're into rally driving and motor sports, you might be familiar with the name Petter Solberg (world champ rally driver) - I went to school with him for 3 years (13-16).

.....Have met Morten Harket from AHA.

......Apparently I also hit the Norwegian Crown Prince over the head with my toy car when we were both ickle! :D

Jealous....Petter Solberg... Oh My that man can drive! My Auntie Isobel worked for Morten Harket's dad and frankly - Crown Prince H, such a cutie!!

I've met the Queen and Prince Philip, my dad was famous in his field of music so I suppose he counts (?). Through my previous work I met Jack Nicholson and Michael Douglas.

Minnie Mouse, Micky Mouse, Goofy, Pluto et al......

Minnie M
18th-August-2007, 11:58 AM
............to top it off i met mickey mouse :rofl: :rofl:
:wink: I sleep with him every night :innocent:
but have you met me :whistle:

jive-vee
18th-August-2007, 12:18 PM
Rock-God Dave Grohl from Nirvana / Foo Fighters...nuff said

:waycool: :waycool: :waycool: :waycool:

soooooooooooooooooooo jealous!!!!!:drool: :drool: :drool:

I have had my pic taken with Christian Slater (after watching him in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest), danced with Vincent Simone and had my pic taken with Colin Murray (at Glastonbury this year) :clap:

Lee Bartholomew
18th-August-2007, 12:19 PM
Used to have parties at my sisters in west end of glasgow and a few regulars were The Bluebells(my cousin wrote that song btw),

Robert Hodgens or Siobahn Fahey (who I have met (crazy crazy woman))

I once accidently upset Jerry Lee Lewis's sister by turning down her autograph and had a jam with Shakin Stevens in my local pub.

Also played an improptu gig with Tom Chaplin from Keane the week after live 8. (Used to jam with them abit before they were famous in Harpers Guitar bar in Hastings)

Met Amy Winehouse a fair amount before she released her new album as she is a good friend of a relative.

and my dads friend used to play Ronald McDonald in the TV ad's. :waycool:

Minnie M
18th-August-2007, 01:34 PM
.....and my dads friend used to play Ronald McDonald in the TV ad's. :waycool:
:clap:

my cousin is the little girl in the Fairy Liquid advert (she is also in the cast in Les Miserable)

and this is my Uncle Tony Tenser (Mum's brother) in the middle with Laurel & Hardy

Tartaniad
20th-August-2007, 09:01 PM
The most famous person I have met is the Queen.

When I used to be in the boys brigade I managed to obtain my Queens award.
She presented ot to me me in the city chambers in Glasgow.

My brother also met her two years prior with same said award.

My parents were all smiles.

Also one of my friends is Martin McLaughlin AKA MArty Pellow does that count?

His mother and my mother grew up together in maryhill in Glasgow:nice:

TurboTomato
21st-August-2007, 10:16 AM
If you're into rally driving and motor sports, you might be familiar with the name Petter Solberg (world champ rally driver) - I went to school with him for 3 years (13-16).

Cool :waycool: He comes across as a nice guy on TV - was he like that as a teenager? He is one of the few proper personalities in rallying, the sport needs more people like him...

HelenB
19th-December-2007, 05:59 PM
I spotted Stewart38 at Bicester station early yesterday morning (just after my train had been cancelled :mad:)- does that count as meeting someone famous? :D

CJ
19th-December-2007, 06:03 PM
I spotted Stewart38 at Bicester station early yesterday morning (just after my train had been cancelled :mad:)- does that count as meeting someone famous? :D

yep... Crimewatch counts

martingold
19th-December-2007, 07:26 PM
I used to travel as a service engineer i was going from St Loius Missouri to Sydney Australia got to the luggage carousel at sydney airport and saw guitars etc going past me being noisy i saw that it said BB King on tour on them looking at the end of the carousel there was the man himself getting his own luggage when i got to the bureaus de change he was stood in front of me so i shook his hand and said i loved his music which as i am a blues fan of course is true he thanked me and off he went

from a completely different style of music a famous person this time one i knew and worked with is Kieth flint of the prodigy who i knew before the prodigy was even thought of

Miss Flicts
20th-December-2007, 04:30 PM
My Mum's local is a tiny tucked away pub in Notting Hill (and she spends a lot of time in there!) Over the years in that pub I have met Nigel Havers, Daniel Day-Lewis and Daniel Craig (the new James Bond).

I also met Richard Briers at a drama competition (he was judging), and I was at Uni for 2 terms with Stephen Merchant.

I sold some cakes to 'Lovejoy' too (what's his real name?)

Just noticed they are all men. Maybe I don't notice women!

Steven666
20th-December-2007, 04:47 PM
Ken Barlow (TWICE)!

stewart38
20th-December-2007, 06:46 PM
Would the Queen say ones self ?? :sick:

Astro
22nd-December-2007, 04:35 PM
Seen quite a few famous people, but the only one I've said hello to was Marco Pierre White, the chef.

I was at a birthday party in Kensington years ago.

He came in with a birthday cake, chatted for a bit, then zoomed off.

There were about 10 birthday cakes altogether and his was voted the winner by the birthday girl.

I can still taste that cake. :drool::drool::drool:

Almost as good as ESG's lemon cake. :wink:

Miss Flicts
22nd-December-2007, 05:55 PM
Seen quite a few famous people, but the only one I've said hello to was Marco Pierre White, the chef.

I was at a birthday party in Kensington years ago.

He came in with a birthday cake, chatted for a bit, then zoomed off.

There were about 10 birthday cakes altogether and his was voted the winner by the birthday girl.

I can still taste that cake. :drool::drool::drool:

Almost as good as ESG's lemon cake. :wink:

What year was that? I might have handled that very cake!! I'm from Kensington and I used to work with his wife in their cake shop (Maison Blanc) on Holland Park Avenue! That's where I sold the cakes to 'Lovejoy'!

We were allowed to take home all the cakes which couldn't be sold the next day. They were gorgeous!! :yum:

Will
22nd-December-2007, 06:37 PM
Stevie Wong.

David Franklin
22nd-December-2007, 07:30 PM
Stevie Wong.:yeah:

Although I think Stevie's been holding out on us. Have you seen this WCS clip from YouTube?

YouTube - Mary Ann Nunez & Steve Wong - GPSDC 1990 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT1wUNOufqw)

Will
22nd-December-2007, 09:17 PM
:yeah:

Although I think Stevie's been holding out on us. Have you seen this WCS clip from YouTube?

YouTube - Mary Ann Nunez & Steve Wong - GPSDC 1990 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT1wUNOufqw)
LOL!!! - Nice find......

And interesting to see that even back in 1990 he was tucking his t-shirt into his trousers then too.

Astro
23rd-December-2007, 02:32 PM
What year was that? I might have handled that very cake!! I'm from Kensington and I used to work with his wife in their cake shop (Maison Blanc) on Holland Park Avenue! That's where I sold the cakes to 'Lovejoy'!

We were allowed to take home all the cakes which couldn't be sold the next day. They were gorgeous!! :yum:

Did you put on a lot of weight?

It would have been November 1989 (18 years ago)

The actual cake had "Smokey" iced on as the birthday girl was a chain smoker.

Ring any bells? What years were you working at Maison Blanc?

Actually, I think Marco was at Harveys at the time in Shoreditch.

Double Trouble
23rd-December-2007, 02:45 PM
Stephen Merchant.

ooOOOooo....! I've got a bit of a thing for him. You couldn't sort me out a date with him could you. Keep it under your hat, I don't want Gav to find out.:wink:

Miss Flicts
24th-December-2007, 10:20 AM
Did you put on a lot of weight?

It would have been November 1989 (18 years ago)

The actual cake had "Smokey" iced on as the birthday girl was a chain smoker.

Ring any bells? What years were you working at Maison Blanc?

Actually, I think Marco was at Harveys at the time in Shoreditch.

Not far out! I was there in 1992. And yes, I did put on weight! We had these fitted pink and white stripey dresses we had to wear, and mine got tighter and tighter! Luckily I didn't stay too long or I would have got enormous.

ooOOOooo....! I've got a bit of a thing for him. You couldn't sort me out a date with him could you. Keep it under your hat, I don't want Gav to find out.:wink:

Nah, sorry - it was my boyfriend at the time who was friends with him because they were on the same Film course. I was doing Art History with the less cool people!

Stuart
24th-December-2007, 10:45 AM
I had to do a visit to "Le Manoir aux Quatre Saisons" for work last year (sadly the T & S budget didn't allow me to eat there!). As I went to open the door to reception, it flew open and who should be holding the handle on the other side than Raymond Blanc.

Astro
26th-December-2007, 05:39 PM
Not far out! I was there in 1992. And yes, I did put on weight! We had these fitted pink and white stripey dresses we had to wear, and mine got tighter and tighter! Luckily I didn't stay too long or I would have got enormous.

I didn't know there was a cake shop. (Maison Blanc)

When would that have opened do you think?