stewart38
22nd-February-2006, 03:46 PM
Saw this new event and thought Id give it a try

Then I saw its aimed at the 'beginners market' only :sad:

Interesting concept

----------------------------------------------

NEW JIVE+ VENUE in Aylesbury on Thursdays starts next week, 2 March
At Aylesbury High School, Walton Rd, Aylesbury, Bucks, HP21 7SX 7.45 - 10.30 pm
FREE ENTRY on opening night if you print off this page.

* Beautiful venue - Aylesbury High school is a lovely modern suite of buildings
* Large Hall with wooden floor - seats 400
* Great mix of music
* 2 fab lessons with freestyle inbetween and afterwards
* Soft drinks or bring your own
* Plenty of parking on site or in adjacent side road

There will be two beginners lessons for the first few weeks, and then the second class will become more challenging as the level increases, with a beginners review class in a separate room.

Northants Girly
22nd-February-2006, 05:12 PM
I'm sure thats not what Coralie meant.

Surely shes just saying that for the first few weeks there will only be beginners lessons?

Tiggerbabe
22nd-February-2006, 05:49 PM
If it's a brand new venue in a place where there's not been much (if any) dancing before then it makes sense to have two beginners classes.

Franck did just that, in Perth and Inverness, when he started the classes there and Lorna also did the same in Brechin.

After a few weeks, or indeed if it turns out that the venue attracts a lot of intermediate dancers, this will change. :clap:

I once knew a guy who lived in Aylesbury, wonder if he's going? :D

El Salsero Gringo
22nd-February-2006, 07:16 PM
Saw this new event and thought Id give it a try

Then I saw its aimed at the 'beginners market' only :sad:

Interesting concept
If you want to be loved, go along and help out the newbies.

Donna
22nd-February-2006, 07:40 PM
If it's a brand new venue in a place where there's not been much (if any) dancing before then it makes sense to have two beginners classes.

I demoed for a new venue that opened in Llandudno and we did two beginner sessions there. Might as well. If you decide to teach an intermediate when you know the majority of people who turn up on the first night are going to be beginners, then you're asking for the numbers to drop. Be patient and when the teacher feels that they are ready to move on then it will become much more enjoyable for those who are experienced. Patience.

stewart38
23rd-February-2006, 01:24 AM
I demoed for a new venue that opened in Llandudno and we did two beginner sessions there. Might as well. If you decide to teach an intermediate when you know the majority of people who turn up on the first night are going to be beginners, then you're asking for the numbers to drop. Be patient and when the teacher feels that they are ready to move on then it will become much more enjoyable for those who are experienced. Patience.

Firstly good luck to the venue, i wont go if its aimed at beginners

Ive never know any new venue that has ever open that is aimed at just beginners

Ive never know any 'new venue' where the majority of people who turn up are beginners

of course i could be wrong

Gordon J Pownall
23rd-February-2006, 01:25 AM
Ceroc Chilterns is good...well worth a visit to Chesham on Fridays, Berko's Rhythym and Blues Bar on Sundays, Chesham on Mondays...

All have beginners classes and Berko's on Sundays has two rooms - Modern Jive and Latin Pop, the other is Swing, Blues, Hardcore Latin, bit of Salsa and some ballroom thrown in for good measure...

Maybe see some locals there...Sal and I teach and DJ regularly there and they are really good nights...

Mondays is perhaps best for new people - Fridays are happening...!!! Usually an intermediate masterclass as well...

Berko's - Storming...!:respect:

Just thoughts...

G...

ducasi
23rd-February-2006, 01:29 AM
Firstly good luck to the venue, i wont go if its aimed at beginners I don't think it is.

Ive never know any new venue that has ever open that is aimed at just beginners I really don't think it is, but we all have to start somewhere...

Ive never know any 'new venue' where the majority of people who turn up are beginners I've been to at least two "new venues" where the majority of people who turned up were beginners.

of course i could be wrong I wouldn't discount this possibility. :flower:

David Bailey
23rd-February-2006, 09:58 AM
There've occasionally been beginner-oriented nights - Wednesdays at Finchley a few years ago, Mondays at the Central Club waaaay back - but I dunno if these started out as beginner nights or what.

I'd have thought most new venues, when they open, have a disproportionate number of beginners there - so targetting beginners explicitly at the start is probably sensible.

Tiggerbabe
23rd-February-2006, 10:14 AM

Ive never know any 'new venue' where the majority of people who turn up are beginners

of course i could be wrong
It's a thing that sometimes happens, outside of London, Stewart :whistle:

Inverness, for example, when it started, had only one person who had danced Ceroc before, and she had moved up from England.
We did a couple of beginners workshops the weekends prior to the opening night, then for the first couple of months during the classes had the beginners class and then a follow-up beginners class and not an intermediate routine.

This never meant that intermediate dancers were not welcome, in fact it was brilliant that we had experienced dancers who did come up and visit. :worthy:

Now we're into the 6th month of classes and they follow exactly the same format as your regular night :clap:
Plus the dancers there are fab :hug: you should come up sometime :D

stewart38
23rd-February-2006, 10:38 AM

I think we have established the vast majority would not be beginners :wink:

Chesham on Mondays...

Mondays is perhaps best for new people -

G...

Monday in fact use to be 'better' for more established dancers but a string of a number of weeks of poor music and I think lots more women ,put a lot of people of :sad:

It now has a reputation for more of a beginner level which is a bit sad, i dont know where all the better dancers went as well :sad:

ducasi
23rd-February-2006, 11:53 AM
I think we have established the vast majority would not be beginners :wink: When was that? :confused:

Tessalicious
23rd-February-2006, 12:40 PM
As much as I hate to say it, Stew, you're being daft.

As I'm sure you know, I'm involved in a new venue that has started in in North London, where we will be catering for beginners slightly more than normal over the next few weeks.

This isn't because we want the venue to be permanently full of beginners, but because the whole point of starting a new venue, be it within London or outside, is to bring the Ceroc scene to a new group of people who may not have had access to it before. When that is the case, it is surely obvious to anyone with any sense that the locals, who haven't done Ceroc before, and are only there because of advertising targetting newcomers, will not be able to cope with a standard intermediate class after one lesson any more than those few first-timers that come to an established venue each week. That's the whole reason why we have taxi-dancers, but a standard-sized review class cannot cater for all of those beginners, which is why the format does often need to be rejigged for those first few weeks.

Not only that, but a teacher, demo and 2 taxi dancers can't get round every single one of those beginners enough to give them all an idea of how much fun Ceroc is, so we also rely on local intermediates who normally go further afield to come even during those starter weeks and dance with, encourage and support the beginners on the first part of their learning curve - which helps the venue to succeed because those beginners come back, become intermediates, and can in turn help the next, smaller, generations of beginners.

So people like you are important for a fledgeling venue, and if you want it to be a good venue, you have to be willing to go along and help out a bit for a couple of weeks, - that's all it needs. If you aren't willing to do that, don't be surprised if the venue doesn't survive.

Russell Saxby
23rd-February-2006, 12:49 PM
So people like you are important for a fledgeling venue, and if you want it to be a good venue, you have to be willing to go along and help out a bit for a couple of weeks, - that's all it needs. If you aren't willing to do that, don't be surprised if the venue doesn't survive.

:yeah: :yeah:

makes perfect sense to me

robd
23rd-February-2006, 12:56 PM
An independent jive evening opened in St Neots in mid January and each week until last week there was one beginners class and then a swift recap of that weeks and the previous weeks beginners moves after a short bout of freestyle. I believe last week (I couldn't make it) saw the first equivalent of an intermediate class there. I think this is the right approach - there were too many beginners (interesting in its own right given that the same town holds a well established Ceroc night taught by an excellent teacher) to comfortably do a review class and an intermediate class in those first few weeks. Sure, some of the experienced dancers I know who attended in the first couple of weeks have not returned citing too many beginners as a reason and that's their choice but it's also easy to see the progress that has been made by those beginners.

Robert

Gordon J Pownall
23rd-February-2006, 12:58 PM
Monday in fact use to be 'better' for more established dancers but a string of a number of weeks of poor music and I think lots more women ,put a lot of people of :sad:

It now has a reputation for more of a beginner level which is a bit sad, i dont know where all the better dancers went as well :sad:

I try and avoid the term 'better' dancers...more experienced maybe or less experienced but we were all new to this at some point...

However Sal (DJ Bunnie) is DJ'ing there and the rep for the music is excellent (although I am slightly biased)...plenty of newer members but an increasing number of more experienced dancers is making it more balanced...certainly over the the past couple of months...!

If all else fails, have a dance with me - I'm there in a non-teaching, Sally's roadie bitch role on Mondays so always happy for a boogie...!:wink: :wink:

G...

stewart38
23rd-February-2006, 01:06 PM
As much as I hate to say it, Stew, you're being daft.

It was only a observation :sad:

Ok I can take 3 people in my new car up the A41, must be 35 forumties that live with 25 miles of Aylesbury. who is game PM me

I
If all else fails, have a dance with me - I'm there in a non-teaching, Sally's roadie bitch role on Mondays so always happy for a boogie...!:wink: :wink:

G...

you still owe me a pint :wink: yes I was that runner up :sick:

WittyBird
23rd-February-2006, 01:09 PM
you still owe me a pint :wink: yes I was that runner up :sick:

Aw bless where you playing charades in the bar again ? :flower:

Lynn
23rd-February-2006, 01:27 PM
Ive never know any 'new venue' where the majority of people who turn up are beginnersBelfast.

El Salsero Gringo
23rd-February-2006, 01:33 PM
It was only a observation :sad:

Ok I can take 3 people in my new car up the A41, must be 35 forumties that live with 25 miles of Aylesbury. who is game PM me
As far as I can tell what a new venue needs is a small group of experienced dancers who are prepared to go along week after week because they actually like the place and they're happy to dance with people who are quite new and people they don't know, without making a big fuss about it. As far as I can tell, what a new venue doesn't need is a massive influx of top dancers who come just for one week, from 200 miles around, who are all friends with each other, all dance with each other (just because they want to dance with friends, not for any bad motive) and who intimidate the hell out of local people, making the contrast with the weeks following, when they're back at their usual haunts, all too apparent.

dee
23rd-February-2006, 02:34 PM
I'm sure thats not what Coralie meant.

Surely shes just saying that for the first few weeks there will only be beginners lessons?

:clap: :clap: Yeah i can't wait at last i get to dance in my own town and i don't even need to take the car it's so close. Coralie is doing the first two weeks for beginners she will be having two beginners classes for the first two weeks. They will be doing a demo this saturday from 2 til 4 in the Frairs Square shopping centre so if anyone is around come along it will be fun :clap:

We had Ceroc Chilterns here a few years ago but it didn't last long which was very dissapointing. So fingers crossed it will be a big hit this time around in this boring ol town of mine. Well done Coralie :cheers: hope to see some of you on Saturday :hug:

dee
23rd-February-2006, 02:39 PM

Just imagine Stew, if you came on your own you could come round for a coffee at mine after :wink:

stewart38
23rd-February-2006, 03:00 PM
As far as I can tell what a new venue needs is a small group of experienced dancers who are prepared to go along week after week because they actually like the place and they're happy to dance with people who are quite new and people they don't know, without making a big fuss about it. As far as I can tell, what a new venue doesn't need is a massive influx of top dancers who come just for one week, from 200 miles around, who are all friends with each other, all dance with each other (just because they want to dance with friends, not for any bad motive) and who intimidate the hell out of local people, making the contrast with the weeks following, when they're back at their usual haunts, all too apparent.

You know what I had 152PMs . Im going to have to tell they cant come :sad:

Looks like its just me and Dee :flower: with 9 in the car ?

El Salsero Gringo
23rd-February-2006, 03:02 PM
You know what I had 152PMs Must be the way you tell'em...

David Bailey
23rd-February-2006, 04:05 PM
Now that's what I call a detailed hypothetical example... :whistle:

But, yes :yeah:

stewart38
23rd-February-2006, 04:13 PM

If its marketed for begineers thats fine and good.

A 'new venue' could be aimed at intermediate and advanced , maybe with no classes . If someone knows one let us know ,i know they exist ?

Hemel a 'new venue' had a beginners and intermediate class thats what it was aimed at.

El Salsero Gringo
23rd-February-2006, 04:15 PM
If its marketed for begineers thats fine and good.

A 'new venue' could be aimed at intermediate and advanced , maybe with no classes . If someone knows one let us know ,i know they exist ?There's Monday Lush, and the Advanced night at the Jive Bar on Thursdays, as far as I know that's it around London/South East

Lynn
25th-February-2006, 01:54 PM
I had 1 1/2 years of keeping a small group of 'improvers' 'ticking over' - we couldn't improve any more with no classes and couldn't get beginners along. Now there are weekly classes and we have loads of beginners.:clap:

From that experience I would say that a new venue initially works with beginners and several slightly more experienced dancers to encourage and help the beginners. The key is encouraging them and getting them dancing on the beat.

The need for even more experienced dancers IMO comes when there are enough dancers reaching intermediate level. Then more experienced dancers coming to a venue can help those intermediates begin to understand style, musicality etc. And this is not just achieved by dancing with the new intermediates but also the new intermediates getting to observe more experienced dancers dancing together.

dee
25th-February-2006, 08:00 PM
Just had a fab afternoon busking in Friars Square for Coralie :clap: :clap: Lots of people seemed interested in coming along to the new venue so lets hope Thursday will be a real success, hope to see some of you there plus i will be having a go at taxiing :eek: Coralie and her team did a really great dance routine well done you guys :worthy: of all the busking i have done i have never seen that done before :hug: Lets hope some fun is brought to this little town of mine :flower:

David Bailey
25th-February-2006, 08:27 PM
Coralie and her team did a really great dance routine well done you guys :worthy: of all the busking i have done i have never seen that done before :hug:
Pah, that's nothing, I bet you didn't do the special "Drop the DJ on her backside in front of everyone" move, did you? Huh? :na:

dee
25th-February-2006, 10:18 PM
Pah, that's nothing, I bet you didn't do the special "Drop the DJ on her backside in front of everyone" move, did you? Huh? :na:

DJ, if you were there i may of been tempted :whistle:

Yliander
26th-February-2006, 01:03 AM
Firstly good luck to the venue, i wont go if its aimed at beginners your loss

Ive never know any new venue that has ever open that is aimed at just beginners CMJ has a couple of beginner focused venues which are a grand sucess

Ive never know any 'new venue' where the majority of people who turn up are beginners intermediate dancers do not spring fully formed from one lesson

dee
3rd-March-2006, 09:23 AM
Went to the opening night last night, was really great :clap: think it will be a huge success. I was on the door the first half of the night and counted in 80 people which was a good turn out for a first night here. Nice to see my lovely sis and Mikeyr :hug: and a huge supprise to see Mr Darcy:eek: never knew he worked in my town. Most people that turned up were beginners but some already had some moves put together very well. Great music great company and great to have dancing in my town, well done Coralie :flower:

Missy D
3rd-March-2006, 08:27 PM
Went to Aylesbury last night with Mikeyr where as kids we grew up. brought back many dodgy memories to us both.

Arrived at Corolies opening night thinking it would be empty but was suprised that there were over a hundred people there. I am glad it went well for her:clap:

Good to see Dee and Mr Darcy there too!

Music was ok but alot of really old stuff was played from the 60s which i used to dance with dad when i was a nipper.

Its also quite tricky to find as no banner is visible.

Had a nice time but as its so far away i wont be going again unless in the area visiting sis!

I wish Corolie and her team all the best in making this venue work:clap:

dee
27th-April-2006, 11:36 PM
Just to report on the progress of Aylesbury jive.

It's still very much a beginners venue, but very enjoyable. They had their first improvers class tonight but most still felt they needed to stay in the beginners class which was a shame. They also had the first lindy hop class run by Andy Flemming, i joined in and it was really great fun he will be doing the Lindy class every Thursday if anyone was interested? hope to see some of you there, i will be the one on the door :flower:

jacksondonut
28th-April-2006, 12:10 PM
Just to report on the progress of Aylesbury jive.

It's still very much a beginners venue, but very enjoyable. They had their first improvers class tonight but most still felt they needed to stay in the beginners class which was a shame. They also had the first lindy hop class run by Andy Flemming, i joined in and it was really great fun he will be doing the Lindy class every Thursday if anyone was interested? hope to see some of you there, i will be the one on the door :flower:

Ahhhhhhh........dont believe it... If I had known you were there I would have come and said Hello...:sad:

popped in around 9.15 to see Andy, but didnt stay as I had someone with me.... (going to Torquay in June for Rockbottoms weekender)...

sorry I missed you.:tears:

Luv Jan
:hug:

dee
28th-April-2006, 01:45 PM
Oh no i didn't see you, i was in the main hall trying the improvers class as a man and failed big time ha ha.

See you soon

Dee xx