PDA

View Full Version : Milongas at weekenders

DianaS
22nd-February-2006, 01:04 PM
From this thread http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?p=206351#post206351

Excellent! Ivan recommended an AT class in Birmingham and so I should be in a position to benefit from an improvers class.
You know I've noticed since I started taking classes, there does seem to be considerable interest in AT especially within the forum http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36.
i'm just wondering is it worth having a Milonga late one afternoon or perhaps an hour early in the evening in the blues room, where we can meet and have an hour or so...
Its so tricky when a track comes on to try and spot people within a general freestyle that can do a AT track justice!
Hmmm sounds like a new thread starting :)

Just a straw poll If there was an Milonga when would you like it to be

Lynn
22nd-February-2006, 01:13 PM
Just a straw poll If there was an Milonga when would you like it to beAt Southport there are 4 dance rooms available in the evenings, so perhaps in the 'Dance Den' area? Sat and Sun night perhaps?

I thought the hour in the blues room before the blues started worked well at Scarborough, though I would have been happy to go on for longer. But then there are people who love blues but don't do tango and they want to be dancing too.

Rachel
22nd-February-2006, 03:03 PM
...But then there are people who love blues but don't do tango and they want to be dancing too. :blush: I'd be one of those, I guess ...

But then, I want to dance 'blues' to tango music. :D

Well, by blues, you know, I mean that kind of muddled hybrid of mj/blues/latin/tango effect stylee thingy. Don't you just love mj - it lets you get away with these things! (Sorry to all the dance purists, but I just want to have fun, that's all.)

It would be tango music all night, if it was up to me!

In reality, I agree with - what, Tramp again, was it?! - the latin room seems the most suitable place for tango.

Rachel

Zebra Woman
22nd-February-2006, 03:32 PM
:blush: I'd be one of those, I guess ...

But then, I want to dance 'blues' to tango music. :D

Well, by blues, you know, I mean that kind of muddled hybrid of mj/blues/latin/tango effect stylee thingy. Don't you just love mj - it lets you get away with these things! (Sorry to all the dance purists, but I just want to have fun, that's all.)

It would be tango music all night, if it was up to me!

In reality, I agree with - what, Tramp again, was it?! - the latin room seems the most suitable place for tango.

Rachel

:yeah: I just love to play too.

It would be fab to have some Milonga time on a weekender. I would love to hear Marc DJ the Milonga slot, I hear he did amazing things at Rock Bottoms...:worthy: :clap:

Not sure what kind of dancing I would be doing.... Fake tango? Blues?

Ah yes, I remember now.

Waiting very patiently and following the lead. :innocent:

ZW

Rachel
22nd-February-2006, 03:37 PM
...(Sorry to all the dance purists, but I just want to have fun, that's all.) ... Meaning ... that of course, I desperately want to learn how to dance tango (especially), latin, ballroom, etc properly - one day, when/if I ever manage to find the time.

In the meantime, however, I don't know how to tango, but love tango music more than anything. I still want to be able to dance to it, in my own kind of fashion, when it's played at weekenders and such.

I just remembered someone on the forum once saying that, if you can't tango, you should sit out the tango tracks rather than dance improperly to them.

I don't want to offend anyone, but I don't want to sit them out. And, if there's anyone around that will accompany me, then I will dance to them.

Rachel

Rachel
22nd-February-2006, 03:41 PM
...Waiting very patiently and following the lead. :innocent:

ZW :rofl: love it! :worthy:

Btw, ZW, got some great new music that I'm convinced you'll loooove. Let you have first preview ... Marc might even play some of it this weekend. T-jive, anyone?
R.

azande
22nd-February-2006, 03:59 PM
I don't want to offend anyone, but I don't want to sit them out. And, if there's anyone around that will accompany me, then I will dance to them.

Rachel
I'll probably be around at Southport... :wink:

DianaS
22nd-February-2006, 04:05 PM
I just remembered someone on the forum once saying that, if you can't tango, you should sit out the tango tracks rather than dance improperly to them.

Rachel
Hi Rachel I went to a milogue after my first lesson - just to see where it was going and if it was something I wanted to spend the time to learn.
I was asked to dance and refused explaining I'd only had one lesson. He just looked at me and said this will be your second. All night I was asked to dance, and each person I explained that I had had only 1 lesson, and every dance was a new lesson. They were quiet courteous and very able to lead a total beginner.
I felt very exposed as I'd just come along as we were invited (the beginners class had just started) and some of my friends were going. My friends wouldn't dance at first as they had no previous dance experience but by the end of the night all but 1 had danced.
Please come and dance with us! I'll ask in my class if any AT dancers will come because I'd love to bring some people that I dance with at home.
:clap:

Lynn
22nd-February-2006, 04:30 PM
Well, by blues, you know, I mean that kind of muddled hybrid of mj/blues/latin/tango effect stylee thingy.Rachel you have just summed up my preferred dance style perfectly! :worthy: :rofl:

I want to do tango and blues and any variation in between. I want to dance all afternoon and all night. I want fabulous DJs and a range of :drool: partners. The wonderful thing is, I can get all of that in one weekend!:clap:

David Bailey
22nd-February-2006, 04:52 PM
Well, by blues, you know, I mean that kind of muddled hybrid of mj/blues/latin/tango effect stylee thingy.
You're confusing me with all this technical talk... Although I know what you mean, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who just makes it up as he goes in Blues.

With heavy heart (being a lifelong WLR member etc), I have to disagree - "Latin" and "Tango" aren't really very similar, in my mind.

"Latin" to me in the MJ sense means a dance based around clave-based beat (Rumba, Cha-Cha, salsa), or at least, using a style based around elements of such dances - wiggling the hips, cross-body leads, flowing motion, eye contact, etc. Almost none of that is relevant to Tango - and I speak as someone who's regularly been called "Mr Salsa hips" (in a not-nice way) in the AT class I go to.

AT and Blues seem to have much more in common than AT and Latin, both in terms of the music beat and the type of interpretative, extremely lead-follow-based dancing.

So, Tango in the Blues Room, would be my vote.

Rachel
22nd-February-2006, 04:52 PM
...I want to do tango and blues and any variation in between. I want to dance all afternoon and all night. I want fabulous DJs and a range of :drool: partners. The wonderful thing is, I can get all of that in one weekend!:clap::yeah: Oh, life is goooood!

Rachel
22nd-February-2006, 05:00 PM
You're confusing me with all this technical talk... Although I know what you mean, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who just makes it up as he goes in Blues.Yes, but I only do that cos I don't know what I'm doing!

With heavy heart (being a lifelong WLR member etc), I have to disagree - "Latin" and "Tango" aren't really very similar, in my mind.

"Latin" to me in the MJ sense means a dance based around clave-based beat (Rumba, Cha-Cha, salsa), or at least, using a style based around elements of such dances - wiggling the hips, cross-body leads, flowing motion, eye contact, etc. Almost none of that is relevant to Tango - and I speak as someone who's regularly been called "Mr Salsa hips" (in a not-nice way) in the AT class I go to.Now who's being technical?! I shall have to read over your post verrrry slowly, but still fear that most of it is way over my head. You have to remember you're talking to a pleb.

However, I do have a feeling that you're more than likely correct.... Well, I'd have to be convinced by someone who knows about clave-based beats. :confused: (help, someone?)

AT and Blues seem to have much more in common than AT and Latin, both in terms of the music beat and the type of interpretative, extremely lead-follow-based dancing.

So, Tango in the Blues Room, would be my vote.You know what, I really don't mind where it's played. As long as it is.

Rachel

Zebra Woman
22nd-February-2006, 05:05 PM

Huh?

Rachel

Me too! That's Rachel, Azande and me.

Anyone else want to dance 'improperly' to tango music?

ZW:devil:

David Bailey
22nd-February-2006, 05:06 PM
Yes, but I only do that cos I don't know what I'm doing!
Yeah, but I dunno if anyone knows what they are doing in Blues dancing... :whistle:

Now who's being technical?! I shall have to read over your post verrrry slowly, but still fear that most of it is way over my head. You have to remember you're talking to a pleb.

However, I do have a feeling that you're more than likely correct.... Well, I'd have to be convinced by someone who knows about clave-based beats. :confused: (help, someone?)

Oooh, an opportunity for a Wikipedia link! :clap:
Here's a definition of a Clave (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clave_%28rhythm%29), and how it relates to Latin dances. Or what I'd call Latin dances anyway.

To quote:

Clave is a rhythmic pattern or timeline which has its roots in West African music and was developed in Cuba. ... essentially all Afro-Cuban music of Yoruban descent (including Cuban popular music such as salsa) is based around the clave rhythm.

Rachel
22nd-February-2006, 05:23 PM
To quote:
Clave is a rhythmic pattern or timeline which has its roots in West African music and was developed in Cuba. ... essentially all Afro-Cuban music of Yoruban descent (including Cuban popular music such as salsa) is based around the clave rhythm.:eek:

I'm so much wiser now!! :wink:

Seriously, thanks for the link. I'll enjoy looking at that, but I think I'll need examples of music before I begin to understand.
R. x

ducasi
22nd-February-2006, 08:58 PM

:yeah:

:D

Gadget
22nd-February-2006, 09:47 PM
I don't want to offend anyone, but I don't want to sit them out. And, if there's anyone around that will accompany me, then I will dance to them.Any time :waycool::flower:

Aleks
22nd-February-2006, 10:08 PM
Huh?

ZW:devil:

Yes please!

DianaS
22nd-February-2006, 10:54 PM
Yes please!
Gosh seems like there's going to be a little gathering - I'm wondering if we can persuade some of the more experienced AT forumites to drop by and nurture us on a little:innocent:

Alice
23rd-February-2006, 01:02 AM
Hi Rachel I went to a milogue after my first lesson - just to see where it was going and if it was something I wanted to spend the time to learn.
I was asked to dance and refused explaining I'd only had one lesson. He just looked at me and said this will be your second. All night I was asked to dance, and each person I explained that I had had only 1 lesson, and every dance was a new lesson. They were quiet courteous and very able to lead a total beginner.
I felt very exposed as I'd just come along as we were invited (the beginners class had just started) and some of my friends were going. My friends wouldn't dance at first as they had no previous dance experience but by the end of the night all but 1 had danced.
Please come and dance with us! I'll ask in my class if any AT dancers will come because I'd love to bring some people that I dance with at home.
:clap:
My first experience of AT was a milonga- I missed the class my friend went to earlier in the night but it was just down the road so I went along anyway to check it out. Everyone was so lovely and amazingly helpful!! Haven't been for a few weeks cos other things got in the way (and WCS clashed) but I'm definitely a fan of just having a go- you learn so much more on the dance floor. I still sit out a lot cos I get a bit braindead- and I learn a lot by watching, but if people are willing to put in the time/effort to coach you a little while dancing, GO FOR IT!!

I think having a milonga at a weekender would be a great idea- but maybe only for a short while, esp if it's billed as a ceroc/jive weekender. Don't want people to feel left out. Maybe having a couple of hours to practice would be good though- cater for AT enthusiasts but not leaving non-AT dancers feeling left out. I like the idea of having AT music in say the blues room for a few hours before switching it to blues music later in the night (actually, I like the idea of having a blues room at all!!):clap: :cheers:

Lynn
23rd-February-2006, 11:22 AM
Although I know what you mean, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who just makes it up as he goes in Blues. Isn't that the point? (Or have I been dancing blues all wrong all this time?)

Here's a definition of a Clave (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clave_%28rhythm%29), and how it relates to Latin dances. Or what I'd call Latin dances anyway.
Clave is a rhythmic pattern or timeline which has its roots in West African music and was developed in Cuba. ... essentially all Afro-Cuban music of Yoruban descent (including Cuban popular music such as salsa) is based around the clave rhythm. Oh, interesting - didn't know about the Yoruban descent. I didn't get to hear much music when I was in Nigeria (plus I didn't get to the south, its a big place). Though when I was in Ghana we did get to hang out with an 'ethnomusicologist' a few times and he took us to hear a range of performance and community music.