PDA

View Full Version : Dance Class Recommendations?

Heather M
22nd-February-2006, 09:29 AM
The more I read on the forum, the more aware I am that Ceroc nights cannot focus hugely on technique so I am a little concerned that I have fallen (and am continuing to fall further) into bad habits. I really want to improve as a dancer and have looked into getting private tuition but it's unfortunately too expensive (I've just bought a house that's stretching my budget!!). Anyway, I'm thinking about doing some other dance classes (in addition to Ceroc of course) to help. I'm not sure of what other style(s) of dancing I should try?:confused: Any recommendations?

TiggsTours
22nd-February-2006, 11:06 AM
The more I read on the forum, the more aware I am that Ceroc nights cannot focus hugely on technique so I am a little concerned that I have fallen (and am continuing to fall further) into bad habits. I really want to improve as a dancer and have looked into getting private tuition but it's unfortunately too expensive (I've just bought a house that's stretching my budget!!). Anyway, I'm thinking about doing some other dance classes (in addition to Ceroc of course) to help. I'm not sure of what other style(s) of dancing I should try?:confused: Any recommendations?
Any other dance style will help really, so you should go with your personal taste, and I'd always say, the more the better!

Ballroom will give you fabulous technique, as it is so structured.
Latin will give you wonderful following technique, as the lead is so subtle, and the movements can be quite fast.
Westcoast will give you fabulous style, and encourage your own variations to develop.
Lindy will help to keep you really grounded, and so smooth out your style.

But any form of dance that has real technique and structure will help with your jive, and as jive is so versatile, all of them can be brought into your dancing.

El Salsero Gringo
22nd-February-2006, 11:37 AM
Any other dance style will help really, so you should go with your personal taste, and I'd always say, the more the better!

Ballroom will give you fabulous technique, as it is so structured.
Latin will give you wonderful following technique, as the lead is so subtle, and the movements can be quite fast.
Westcoast will give you fabulous style, and encourage your own variations to develop.
Lindy will help to keep you really grounded, and so smooth out your style.

But any form of dance that has real technique and structure will help with your jive, and as jive is so versatile, all of them can be brought into your dancing.And Argentine Tango lessons will make you glad of a dance (Ceroc) where the teacher doesn't expect you to spend 40 minutes practicing walking before you're allowed to do anything more expressive.

Aleks
22nd-February-2006, 12:05 PM
Ballet will improve your posture, balance, grace, strength and flexibility.

Pilates (though not a dance form) will do the same.

Lynn
22nd-February-2006, 12:12 PM
And Argentine Tango lessons will make you glad of a dance (Ceroc) where the teacher doesn't expect you to spend 40 minutes practicing walking before you're allowed to do anything more expressive.:rofl:

I was actually thinking this week I would be happy with a Tango dance where I hardly moved at all, but had wonderful connection with my partner. :drool:

Ballet will improve your posture, balance, grace, strength and flexibility.

Pilates (though not a dance form) will do the same.I can't seem to get to 'adult beginner' ballet classes, they always clash with other commitments. But I have a pilates DVD - is it worth working on this at home?

Sparkles
22nd-February-2006, 12:15 PM
The other thing about taking any other form of dancing class (in addition to Ceroc classes), is that it will improve your self-confidence and fitness :flower: ...

... which makes me think I should be doing more dance classes too :sick:

Donna
22nd-February-2006, 12:29 PM

Try a bit of everything..that's what I say.

Hip hop/Street - so are able to make ceroc look good to dance tunes

Latin - will help ceroc look sexier when a latin track comes on.

Ballroom - helps posture, balance and better foot work.

WCS - can help you put more technical steps in ceroc

Lindy - is great for those fast energetic jivey tracks and can be fun to dance to.

At least then you can make it look different everytime.

David Bailey
22nd-February-2006, 12:50 PM
{ snip evil anti-AT rant }
Ahh, you're just jealous. Besides, 40 mins walking is short-changing us, we want at least an hour's worth :innocent:

Anyway, Heather, as (I believe) you're just starting to learn Ceroc, it's not worth getting too stressed about the stuff we talk about on the forum - it's more how you feel.

If you actually feel you're not moving forward with your dancing (and you want to), then that's one thing; but don't learn other dances just because you think you "ought to"; dancing should always be fun :)

It took me about 5 years of Ceroc dancing before I even thought of trying another style - although admittedly I am a very slow learner.

Donna
22nd-February-2006, 12:57 PM
Ahh, you're just jealous. Besides, 40 mins walking is short-changing us, we want at least an hour's worth :innocent:

Anyway, Heather, as (I believe) you're just starting to learn Ceroc, it's not worth getting too stressed about the stuff we talk about on the forum - it's more how you feel.

If you actually feel you're not moving forward with your dancing (and you want to), then that's one thing; but don't learn other dances just because you think you "ought to"; dancing should always be fun :)

It took me about 5 years of Ceroc dancing before I even thought of trying another style - although admittedly I am a very slow learner.

And I agree. Wait until you get used to MJ first. It's a start and then you may find trying other style a lot easier. (may)

Aleks
22nd-February-2006, 01:03 PM
I have a pilates DVD - is it worth working on this at home?

Definitely, but I'd try to get to 6-10 classes at a local fitness centre - you'll benefit from feedback and learn what doing the movement right feels like.

For anyone in Edinburgh - I know a great centre in the West End that offers yoga, mat pilates and private pilates equipment sessions.

Lynn
22nd-February-2006, 01:06 PM
Definitely, but I'd try to get to 6-10 classes at a local fitness centre for the feedback - you'll benefit from feedback and learn what doing the movement right feels like. I would love to but my budget is very limited at the moment - it would mean having to miss a dance weekender... or not eat... (much as I love dancing, I'm pretty keen on regular food as well!). So in the meantime I might try the DVD and see if I can sort out going to a class later in the year.

Aleks
22nd-February-2006, 01:07 PM
I would love to but my budget is very limited at the moment - it would mean having to miss a dance weekender... or not eat... (much as I love dancing, I'm pretty keen on regular food as well!). So in the meantime I might try the DVD and see if I can sort out going to a class later in the year.

Or maybe buy fewer Tango CDs :wink: ?

Donna
22nd-February-2006, 01:08 PM
I quite fancy trying pilates. Need to get a video but don't know which one as there are so many of them.:sad:

Lynn
22nd-February-2006, 01:10 PM
Or maybe buy fewer Tango CDs :wink: ?I can't buy any more anyway. It seems I've more or less cleared out the NI supply (and they weren't dear, £8.99 or something).

Aleks
22nd-February-2006, 01:35 PM
I can't buy any more anyway. It seems I've more or less cleared out the NI supply (and they weren't dear, £8.99 or something).

Maybe you could turn the sound down on the DVD and use the Tango music to do your pilates to....

Lynn
22nd-February-2006, 01:39 PM
Maybe you could turn the sound down on the DVD and use the Tango music to do your pilates to....I'm doing almost everything else to tango music at the moment!

Heather M
22nd-February-2006, 05:01 PM
Cheers for the advice everybody! :cheers: :hug:

Does anyone know whether these dance styles are taught in the Dundee area?

spindr
22nd-February-2006, 05:42 PM
Heather,

Check out the dance maps at www.afterfive.co.uk -- they may help a bit -- if you find new ones, then let "them" know :)

SpinDr

Heather
23rd-February-2006, 08:57 AM
Cheers for the advice everybody! :cheers: :hug:

Does anyone know whether these dance styles are taught in the Dundee area?

Hi Heather,
There is a West Coast Swing class taught by Brady and Lindsay, held on a monthly basis in Dundee. You can contact me for further details, PM me and I will give you my phone number so you can call me.

( If you are the Heather I was introduced to last Friday in Brechin, by the lovely Sherwin, then he should already have my number somewhere) And if you are, bring him along to WCS too !!

:hug:
Heather,
xx

Heather M
23rd-February-2006, 09:18 AM
Hiya, have sent you a PM. Thanks! :nice:

babycass77
23rd-February-2006, 07:42 PM
Hey there Heather

have you tried "The Space" yet? I used to do a couple of dance classes there. I'd definitely recommend ballet for improved posture, grace and balance. I think there is still a beginners adult class there on a monday night. I went a couple of times but didn't really enjoy it. The other thing you might find enjoyable and useful is Jazz. It's similar in many ways to ballet and can be as technically demanding at times but is more upbeat and fun and you'd probably dance to similar music that you would at Ceroc.

By the By what on earth is MJ ? I keep reading it in posts and have no idea what it stands for!

As for your technique; I was watching you dance on Sat at beach ballroom and I honestly thought you were lovely to watch :blush:

Allicia :flower: (So you know who I am and don't think I'm some sort of stalker for watching you dance!)

Jive Brummie
23rd-February-2006, 08:14 PM
MJ - Modern Jive (just a guess!)

And if you want to know more about The Space in Dundee, PM me as I teach there on a Tuesday & Friday.

:flower:

J x x

Lynn
23rd-February-2006, 10:18 PM
Back to Heather's original question - I have 'sampled' a few different dance styles since starting MJ and found certain ones that appeal to me, that seem to 'fit' with how I personally prefer to dance (for me its blues and tango styles). I know you want to learn more technique and you could make the arguement that you decide what technique you want to work on and find a style that will help you in that area. But you will enjoy a course of classes and be a lot more committed to putting the extra work into the technique if its a style that suits you.

So one suggestion is to try a few different styles on a 'taster' basis to see what appeals. (If there are any dance festivals on they usually seem to offer a range of taster classes.)

Heather M
24th-February-2006, 10:21 AM
Thanks again everyone for all the advice :flower: (and thanks for your kind words Allicia :blush: :hug:).

I really fancy trying ALL the different styles mentioned here (hmm... maybe with the exception of ballet though - I'd be absolutely useless... SO clumsy!) The only problem is that there aren't enough hours in the week! :sad: Have booked myself for a taster MJ class and a short block of beginners Salsa classes at The Space as a start...

babycass77
24th-February-2006, 04:23 PM
Good luck with the classes. Let me know how they go and if you feel that they've helped you with ceroc.

Heather M
24th-February-2006, 05:37 PM
Cheers... will do! :nice: