PDA

View Full Version : Free the Buck House One!

David Bailey
21st-February-2006, 07:56 PM
I know, I'm sorry, I've been trying to talk about dance this year, but this really got my biscuit (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4734798.stm).

Charles "Solzhenitsyn" Windsor. Grrrr.

I'm feeling a republican (i.e. anti-monarchist) rant coming on....

Baruch
21st-February-2006, 08:13 PM
Prince of Wales? We Welsh didn't get a say in the matter. How about making him Prince of Stratford instead and giving him a council flat with the first month's rent paid for by the taxpayer?

ducasi
21st-February-2006, 08:53 PM
I voted for the council house option as I've no idea what the Pratchettian meaning of the word "promote" is. :confused:

El Salsero Gringo
21st-February-2006, 09:08 PM
Prince of Wales? We Welsh didn't get a say in the matter. How about making him Prince of Stratford instead and giving him a council flat with the first month's rent paid for by the taxpayer?No, but his sword is longer than yours (actually, his great great great ... great grandfather's castle was bigger than yours) so you never had a say. Sucks, doesn't it?

David Bailey
21st-February-2006, 09:20 PM
I voted for the council house option as I've no idea what the Pratchettian meaning of the word "promote" is. :confused:
Let's just say, it's not nice... :innocent:

(Think Cromwell...)

philsmove
22nd-February-2006, 12:01 AM
But what is Francis Urquhart (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108962/)up to

Baruch
22nd-February-2006, 05:33 PM
No, but his sword is longer than yours (actually, his great great great ... great grandfather's castle was bigger than yours) so you never had a say. Sucks, doesn't it?
:yeah: Half Greek, Half German, born in England, spends loads of time in Scotland and calls himself the Prince of Wales. If anyone else wants a prince, we've got one you can have for free. No, we'll PAY you to have him.....

Rhythm King
23rd-February-2006, 12:39 PM
:yeah: Half Greek, Half German, born in England, spends loads of time in Scotland and calls himself the Prince of Wales. If anyone else wants a prince, we've got one you can have for free. No, we'll PAY you to have him.....

Of course the Greek Royal family is actually from Denmark...:whistle:

Gordon J Pownall
23rd-February-2006, 01:06 PM
Having met and lunched with Prince Charles and chatted informally about the Princes and Williams little debacle with a speeding Range Rover (remember), he is actually a nice, down to earth, genuine bloke (believe it or not)...he's a dad with two kids, a wife etc etc...So he's Royal - so what, loads of other people have MORE money, bigger houses etc so whay should that make a difference - in fact Beckham probably has more cash in the bank and does a hell of a lot less for Charity, the Country and PR for the British people..

I say he's a citizen whatever and unlike some other Royals - does make a lot of sense in a lot of things he says and comments upon.

We all have radical ideas from time to time - why not him...? We all have opinions on things ranging from the recent terrorist attacks to the best chocolate cake recipe, Why not him...?

The fact that he is a member of the Royal family should not prevent him from keeping a journal, holding an opinion and expressing his thoughts, feelings and values. It should also not prevent him from a modicum of privacy...:angry:

G...

ducasi
23rd-February-2006, 01:42 PM

The fact that he is a member of the Royal family should not prevent him from keeping a journal, holding an opinion and expressing his thoughts, feelings and values. It should also not prevent him from a modicum of privacy...:angry:
I agree with pretty much everything you say Gordon, except for the bit where you call him a citizen, and even though he may not be the richest man in the kingdom, he ain't short of a penny... But we still give him millions of pounds a year... Can you explain why he deserves this more than anyone else?

David Bailey
23rd-February-2006, 04:13 PM
So he's Royal - so what, loads of other people have MORE money, bigger houses etc so whay should that make a difference - in fact Beckham probably has more cash in the bank and does a hell of a lot less for Charity, the Country and PR for the British people..
The point is, he's done nothing to earn his position. IMO, he's one of the most priviledged individuals on the face of the planet, and frankly, he comes across as a bit of a whinger. It's tough being forced into club class, instead of putting those loutish elected politicians with a democratic mandate there, isn't it?

The only one worse than him for whingeing was Diana flippin' Spencer.

I say he's a citizen whatever and unlike some other Royals - does make a lot of sense in a lot of things he says and comments upon.

We all have radical ideas from time to time - why not him...? We all have opinions on things ranging from the recent terrorist attacks to the best chocolate cake recipe, Why not him...?

G...
I don't have a problem with him expressing an opinion, but I have a problem with him assuming that his opinion has any more weight than that of the average voter, just because of who his Mum is. If he tries to use his priviledged access to power to put across his own agenda - well to me that comes close to abuse of position. Ministers read his letters more, and pay more attention to his private communications with them, than they would to a normal citizen.

And I'm not completely convinced that the journals were totally private - he printed 14 copies and circulated them. To me, that's semi-private at best.

Gordon J Pownall
25th-February-2006, 02:47 AM
The only one worse than him for whingeing was Diana flippin' Spencer.

Can't fault you there mate...!!!!