PDA

View Full Version : Tango music

Lynn
20th-February-2006, 01:57 PM
Thought I would start a seperate thread for this. I'm sooo into Tango music at the moment. I've already bought the limited supply available in local shops and a kind forumite sent me some lovely stuff as well. :hug:

Anyone else been listening to a lot of Tango music since they started learning AT? I find it all very inspiring and challenging. I love all the different styles too.

RogerR
20th-February-2006, 08:16 PM
sextetto mayor was a magnificent modern band did lots of great show recordings from Tango Passion. Their discography is all good.

There is a World music Tango three disc set in HMV here with a disc each of old classic tango some mid era and some contemporary stuff.

spindr
20th-February-2006, 08:25 PM
http://www.milonga.co.uk is pretty good too.

SpinDr.

Lynn
21st-February-2006, 12:28 AM
There is a World music Tango three disc set in HMV here with a disc each of old classic tango some mid era and some contemporary stuff.Yep - have that! Also got a CD called Tango Argentina (with a drawing on the cover) and that cleaned out the local HMV tango section in one fell swoop!

I also got a Bajafondo one in another local HMV (the same one I got a Pink Martini CD in once - I've never seen any albums by either artist in there since!). And that seems to be it for local shops!

I seem to be spending a lot of time listening to tango music at the moment - around the house, at work, in the car - (though for some bizzare reason I tend to want to put the window of the car down when playing tango music!? No idea what that's all about!)

JonD
21st-February-2006, 12:51 AM
for some bizzare reason I tend to want to put the window of the car down when playing tango music!? No idea what that's all about
Me too! You get some great looks from other drivers sometimes.

I'm terrible at recognising tracks, composers, artists etc.. I have a fair number of CDs but, to be honest, I couldn't tell you what's on them! The ones that tend to get played contain the slow, moody stuff; particularly Piazzolla. I like e-Tango and my particular favourite at the moment is Tanghetto. Bajafondo and Gotan are good too.

I'm afraid that there is a fair bit of Tango music from the so-called "golden era" of the 20s and 30s which strikes me as being "elevator Tango". It all seems light, frothy nonsense but that maybe because I'm not good enough to take advantage of all the opportunities to dance flashy, playfull, fast stuff and so can't really hear the "movement" in it.

You can hear a daily selection of 10, mainly traditional, Tangos on To Do Tango (http://www.todotango.com/english/main.html) - click on "Today's Selection". The site contains lots of information on different orchestras, composers and performers. Carlos Cardel is a national hero - when we were in BsAs we ate frequently in a restaurant where they had newspaper cuttings about the plane accident in which he was killed all round the walls. (Great restaurant - after the second visit they took to opening a bottle of our favourite red wine as we walked through the door!)

frodo
21st-February-2006, 01:09 AM
...Also got a CD called Tango Argentina (with a drawing on the cover) and that cleaned out the local HMV tango section in one fell swoop!

I bought the same CD - that was the only CD I've seen in shops - still don't know if it is music intended to dance to though.

Lynn
21st-February-2006, 01:16 AM
I bought the same CD - that was the only CD I've seen in shops - still don't know if it is music intended to dance to though.I think some tango music is for dancing and some seems more for listening to, not trying to dance to any of it yet (bit difficult when driving the car anyway...:rolleyes: )

Msfab
21st-February-2006, 11:09 AM
Heres an online Tango music station, with no ads!

http://www.batanga.com/WMStream.asx?owner=Batanga&StationID=17&Speed=1

Lynn
21st-February-2006, 11:32 AM

http://www.batanga.com/WMStream.asx?owner=Batanga&StationID=17&Speed=1
Fab! :hug: And the first track its playing is one I recognise (though a different arrangement).

More tango music while I work!

Lynn
22nd-February-2006, 10:41 AM
I was in town* for a while yesterday and managed to quickly pop into the big Virgin music shop - all they had was 2 Piazzolla albums - that was it. Does no-one in NI buy tango music?

*Belfast city centre.

CeeCee
23rd-February-2006, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Lynn
I seem to be spending a lot of time listening to tango music at the moment - around the house, at work, in the car -
Yay, a Tango music thread, well done Lynn. Like you I've been listening to it a lot of the time but need to make new musical discoveries.

Originally posted by JonD
I like e-Tango and my particular favourite at the moment is Tanghetto. Bajafondo and Gotan are good too.
I need educating, what is e-Tango?
Also, you mentioned Bajafondo and Gotan, are the styles similar? I’m a fan of Gotan so I’d be happy if they are.

Originally posted by Msfab

http://www.batanga.com/WMStream.asx?...nID=17&Speed=1Thanks for this, this is a good way to listen to more tango music and some of the tracks I really like but others do nothing for me at all.

I read somewhere that beginners should listen to lots and lots of Carlos di Sarli so that "they can get to know the music in order to dance to it". Well, I went to a class in Hammersmith on Sunday where the teacher played a lot of di Sarli. Can’t say it did much for me. However during the milonga immediately after the class he played a track which got me very excited, it was Sentimientos by Jaime Wilensky on the CD Tango Nuevo. Awesome!

A couple of weeks ago, I bought a copy of Gotan Project’s Inspiracian/Espiracion at a Tango class for the princely sum of £15. I’ve enjoyed listening to it and it’s given me hours of entertainment in my car and at home. The fact that I’ve just spotted it for sale at Amazon for £5.90 has not upset me in the slightest, no really I’m not upset, I’m fine. I’m glad I resisted the urge to buy their other album La Revancha del Tango at the same class also for £15 as, that’s going for £7.98 on Amazon.

Anyway, has anyone seen the DVD of Gotan Project – La Revancha del Tango Live? Fancy posting a review?

(I’m relying on Lynn and Lory to let me know when the Tango shoe thread gets going!)

Lynn
23rd-February-2006, 09:52 PM
Also, you mentioned Bajafondo and Gotan, are the styles similar? I’m a fan of Gotan so I’d be happy if they are. Similar yes, there are probably some differences that someone with better knowledge could explain. I thought they were both examples of e-tango but I also need educating on this subject...

A couple of weeks ago, I bought a copy of Gotan Project’s Inspiracian/Espiracion at a Tango class for the princely sum of £15. I’ve enjoyed listening to it and it’s given me hours of entertainment in my car and at home. The fact that I’ve just spotted it for sale at Amazon for £5.90 has not upset me in the slightest, no really I’m not upset, I’m fine. I got this at Gatwick (I had a few hours to kill...) Doh, I didn't even think of looking on Amazon for tango albums. (OK, I'll admit, that was really blonde of me! :blush: )

(I’m relying on Lynn and Lory to let me know when the Tango shoe thread gets going!) Go on CC - you know you want to start it. And haven't you a tango shoes pic you could post? :whistle:

LMC
24th-February-2006, 11:45 AM
Go on CC - you know you want to start it. And haven't you a tango shoes pic you could post? :whistle:
:what:

*takes Lynn's temperature*

Unlike you to hold back from a shoe thread honey, are you feeling OK?

:tapping fingers waiting for CeeCee to start tango shoe thread:

Oh, the music... I confess that I am still not very good at finding the beat on most of the tracks while I'm dancing - possibly because I'm concentrating so hard on following.

Lynn
24th-February-2006, 01:07 PM
:what:

*takes Lynn's temperature*

Unlike you to hold back from a shoe thread honey, are you feeling OK?

:tapping fingers waiting for CeeCee to start tango shoe thread:
I thought I'd let CeeCee do the honours.:flower: And I'm not going to say anything about Tango shoes here. I'll wait for the thread.

No, I'm not going to say anything.

Really.

Back to the music...

CeeCee
24th-February-2006, 06:55 PM
Oh my goodness I'm under pressure

Very sweet of you lovely ladies to wait for me to start the long awaited Tango shoe thread but it aint gonna happen.

I don’t start threads because I’m a follower!
I have to wait for someone else to take the lead cos that’s my dancing role in life.

So, now we’re all waiting…

philsmove
26th-February-2006, 07:21 PM
Beginner's Guide to Tango (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002U4EXW/ref=pd_ys_ir_all_12/026-2026423-7488431?%5Fencoding=UTF8)

Under 4 quid 4 38 Tracks
Got 2B something U like

spindr
28th-February-2006, 08:58 PM
Noticed that DJ Django Tango (Steve) now has some details on DJ'ing for tango and also some music selections: http://www.tangouk.co.uk/djangology.htm

SpinDr.

Clive Long
28th-February-2006, 10:03 PM
Beginner's Guide to Tango (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002U4EXW/ref=pd_ys_ir_all_12/026-2026423-7488431?%5Fencoding=UTF8)

Under 4 quid 4 38 Tracks
Got 2B something U like
I find the first two CDs a bit "dated"

Listen to CD3 every day - and I got it as a pressie over a year ago. Buy it and immerse yourself in the music.

That's the music I want to dance to (not easy).

CRL

Lynn
1st-March-2006, 12:04 PM
Listen to CD3 every day - and I got it as a pressie over a year ago. Buy it and immerse yourself in the music.I also listen to that CD a lot, have it on at work at the moment actually.

CeeCee
1st-March-2006, 04:50 PM
H E L P

Okay Guys, I'm hoping to tap into the wealth of knowledge and experience which is freely available to all on the Forum.

I'm now the proud owner of two Gotan Project albums, (yippee) Inspiracion/Espiracion (bought a couple of weeks ago) and La Revancha del Tango which arrived yesterday and I'm very very excited cos it's brill.

They both say that the bonus disc has an additional video. So why can't I see anything? I've tried them on three DVD players and a computer and no hay nada.

So, am I doing something wrong or have I been stitched up again?

the journey continues...

philsmove
1st-March-2006, 07:09 PM
H E L P

...... and La Revancha del Tango which arrived yesterday and I'm very very excited cos it's brill.

They both say that the bonus disc has an additional video. So why can't I see anything?.the journey continues...

Mine arrived today:clap: from Amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005QZH2/202-5193810-3652640?%5Fencoding=UTF8)

No bonus disc but none promised

DavidY
12th-March-2006, 11:56 PM
It took me a while to work out that "Gotan" is an anagram of "Tango". :blush:

Rhythm King
13th-March-2006, 10:55 AM
It took me a while to work out that "Gotan" is an anagram of "Tango". :blush:
And "Project" is an anagram of jetporc :whistle:

Feelingpink
11th-April-2006, 08:35 PM
I've listened to the latest Gotan Project album released this week and am just IN LURVE with it. It's funky and street and passionate and just divine. I don't know that you could MJ to it ... perhaps one or two of the tracks ... but guess that's why I've taken up tango!

Lynn
11th-April-2006, 09:27 PM
I've listened to the latest Gotan Project album released this week and am just IN LURVE with it. It's funky and street and passionate and just divine. I don't know that you could MJ to it ... perhaps one or two of the tracks ... but guess that's why I've taken up tango!Not sure you could tango to some of it either... (though not sure which album you are referring to).

There seems to be tango music to listen to, and tango music to dance to. I like it all!

Feelingpink
11th-April-2006, 09:32 PM
Not sure you could tango to some of it either... (though not sure which album you are referring to).

There seems to be tango music to listen to, and tango music to dance to. I like it all!The album Lunatico - I think most of it would be both ... well, I hope so.

Lynn
11th-April-2006, 09:44 PM
The album Lunatico - I think most of it would be both ... well, I hope so.Oh, haven't heard that one. Must see if I can get it online. (I'm not holding out much hope of getting it locally, I think I have cleared out all the local shops of any tango music stock!)

Feelingpink
11th-April-2006, 09:49 PM
I got it on itunes! :clap:

Lynn
11th-April-2006, 09:58 PM
Ah. This is this 'techology' mystery that people speak of.

I still go into record shops. Except they don't sell records in the shops I go into. Music stores then.

:dumb blonde smiley:

philsmove
11th-April-2006, 11:15 PM
Must see if I can get it online. ()

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/detail/offer-listing/-/B000EXZ03A/all/203-7716715-6015929

Lynn
23rd-April-2006, 12:32 AM
Got Lunatico today in my local music shop! :clap: As I paid for it the girl told she had put 4 out and I had the last one.

Its not a bad shop, I have got Pink Martini, Bajafondo Tango Club and now Gotan Project CDs in there. But I always seem to get the last one (they currently have none of any of those artists in stock).

Oh yes, fab album! :D

Feelingpink
23rd-April-2006, 08:20 AM
Hoorah Lynn - glad you've got them! I've just bought the two Tango Siempre albums off their website - ordered Sunday, arrived on Thursday - and like them very much. There are probably some tangos that you would listen to more than dance to ... but SO well played and clear and delicious. :drool:

CeeCee
11th-May-2006, 07:42 PM
Ooops, ladies, you put me to shame. I forgot all about the new GP album so I'm obviously not a true fan or I would have bought it by now. We're off to their gig soon so ...

originally posted by Lynn
Got Lunatico today in my local music shop!
Good grief Lynn, I live in Metropolis and I assumed the local record shops wouldn't have it so I didn't bother to try!

originally posted by Feelingpink
I got it on itunes!
Oh well done FP, I'm impressed. Again I didn't bother to try because one of our Forum Tangueros told me that he had problems downloading it and frankly I wouldn't know where to begin as this is a form of technology way beyond my capabilities.

I decided to take the mail order option. Anyway, an odd thing happened yesterday. My album Lunatico by Gotan Project finally arrived from Amazon. Nothing odd about that except that having ordered it on CD it arrived on vinyl. Okay so they made a mistake and these things happen, it's no big deal I'll guess I'll get it eventually.

I'd forgotten how lovely vinyl albums can look, they feel nice, smell nice, with their artistic album covers, reading the sleeves and handling the records was an artform. I was tempted to keep it to display as an ornament to remind me of the good old days of scratched records, inferior sound quality, broken needles, manual needle placement, 33s, 78s, A sides, B sides, EPs and LPs...
Ahhh but when the reminiscing was over, I decided to return it.

Does anyone really buy new records on vinyl?
Does anyone still actually play music on vinyl?
Does anyone own a record player which works?

all part of the Tango journey...

Tangomoon
11th-May-2006, 11:45 PM
Gotan is not an angram its the Lunfardo way of sayng Tango

Tangomoon
11th-May-2006, 11:50 PM
Thought I would start a seperate thread for this. I'm sooo into Tango music at the moment. I've already bought the limited supply available in local shops and a kind forumite sent me some lovely stuff as well. :hug:

Anyone else been listening to a lot of Tango music since they started learning AT? I find it all very inspiring and challenging. I love all the different styles too.

Please go to www.todotango.com/english/main.html, this will bring you into the biggest Tango site in the world in BA, go to list on the left hand side and click music, then you can hear a version of just about all the most famous Tangos ever written,

hope this helps

Yogi_Bear
1st-June-2006, 08:42 AM
Did anyone catch the short film about the Gotan Project and their album Lunatico at 1.15 am on Wednesday morning on Channel 4? I did (on tape) and it was excellent.....now I must go and order the CD....:respect:

Going to Southport this weekend - lots of Argentine tango in the offing :clap:
Ian

timbp
1st-June-2006, 09:35 AM
I recently discovered the music community website last.fm (http://last.fm)

While listening to the streaming music for the "Tango Dance Music" group, I heard "Fabulous Trobadors - Demain, demain". I thought it was a good piece of music, but I can't find anywhere I can download it :sad:

Anyone else heard of the French group Fabulous Trobadors? know where I can get their music without paying a fortune?

Lynn
6th-August-2006, 02:30 PM
But the highlight was the 1.5 hours after I spent in the totally lush downstairs room (very dark, sofas everywhere, fantastic music - think uber-Blues-room and you've got it), dancing to Nuevo Tango. Fantastic.

I'd be interested in what you mean by Nuevo Tango though? I mentioned it to the local tango music expert and he meant something entirely different from what I thought.
Moving my question over to this thread where I think its more relevant.

Tango music terminology. I think 'Nuevo Tango' means Astor Piazzolla and those who followed - so what is the term for the new breed of tango fusion music (eg Gotan). Neo-tango? But doesn't that also describe the new more open style of tango dancing?

I'm confused. But then this is tango, so what's new.

spindr
6th-August-2006, 04:11 PM
http://www.tangouk.co.uk/neotango.htm

Lynn
6th-August-2006, 07:02 PM
Yep, Nuevo tango then is Piazzolla and the like.

According to that site, amidst some of the 'fusion tango' music (that I love) a lot of Neo tango is not what we consider normally 'tango' music (eg Alison Moyet's Cry me a river) which fits what I have heard about the Neotango dance style being danced to non-tango music. Anyone been to any tango venues where this is predominantly played? And is the dance style different?

And what is Nu-tango?

David Bailey
7th-August-2006, 10:08 AM
Yep, Nuevo tango then is Piazzolla and the like.

According to that site, amidst some of the 'fusion tango' music (that I love) a lot of Neo tango is not what we consider normally 'tango' music (eg Alison Moyet's Cry me a river) which fits what I have heard about the Neotango dance style being danced to non-tango music. Anyone been to any tango venues where this is predominantly played? And is the dance style different?

And what is Nu-tango?

Apparently, "Tango nuevo" / "Nuevo tango" is the stuff originated by Ástor Piazzolla, from the 1950's onwards - basically, seems to be anything that mixes classical tango music with pop / rock / jazz / you name it.

However, Gotan etc. are apparently "Neo tango" (or "electro tango" or "tango fusion"),

And just to confuse the hell out of things, "Nuevo Tango" is also a dance style (of course... :rolleyes: ).

It seems that in Tango, the dance styles and the music styles are intertwined.

Lynn
19th-August-2006, 09:56 AM
Question re tango music.

I can now hear the difference between tango, milonga and vals. (I think.) Last night I had a milonga to a milonga track and then some fast tango with another partner to a milonga track. Apparently some people dance fast tango to milonga, instead of milonga. I'm not sure if this is because they don't know milonga (the case with my partner last night) or don't want to learn. For me the contrast between slow and sensual tango, then some fast and light milonga dances is delicious.

But what about vals? You can dance tango to it, is that what people normally do or is there something else? Or even is the music that I think is vals actually vals (I can hear the waltz timing which is what made me think it was vals)?