PDA

View Full Version : Question - dancing when pregnant??

jivegirl100
17th-February-2006, 11:24 AM
Hi all, haven't been here for ages!

Have a hypothetical question for you... do you think it's ok to dance when you're pregnant? (The person in question has been dancing modern jive for 7 years)

Midwife says it's fine to keep doing any sports/activities you are already competent at, however not sure she banked on the pregnant person doing double-spins...

Drops have already been cut out of the equation!

Would love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks

Claire xx:confused:

Sparkles
17th-February-2006, 11:47 AM
Maybe Bex would be the best person to ask :clap: :flower:
S. x

TheTramp
17th-February-2006, 11:50 AM
Lorna was dancing and teaching right up until about 2 weeks before she had her last baby. In fact she was dancing with me to try to 'encourage' Sarah out :rolleyes:

Sparkles
17th-February-2006, 11:54 AM
My friend's sister was an avid Lindy-hop dancer, and she danced up to 8 1/2 mths too, she even did aerials with her husband, but had to stop doing those at about 6mths, not because she was too heavy, but because her bump got in the way! :worthy:

Lory
17th-February-2006, 12:04 PM
Lindyloo's over 6months pregnant (and looking absolutely WONDERFUL), she's still teaching, in fact, just last week she taught the move where the lady squats down, shooting one of her legs through the mans:worthy:

timbp
17th-February-2006, 12:12 PM
Hi all, haven't been here for ages!

Have a hypothetical question for you... do you think it's ok to dance when you're pregnant? (The person in question has been dancing modern jive for 7 years)

Midwife says it's fine to keep doing any sports/activities you are already competent at, however not sure she banked on the pregnant person doing double-spins...

Drops have already been cut out of the equation!

Would love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks

Claire xx:confused:

Mark and Simone are in the UK at the moment. Why not ask Simone? As far as I know, she was dancing almost to the birth. Didn't seem to cause any problems for her. Although, as a lead, I felt uncomfortable in one class where the move involved a firm hand across the woman's belly.

TheTramp
17th-February-2006, 12:15 PM
Mark and Simone are in the UK at the moment. Why not ask Simone? As far as I know, she was dancing almost to the birth. Didn't seem to cause any problems for her. Although, as a lead, I felt uncomfortable in one class where the move involved a firm hand across the woman's belly.

Yeah. In the 'group scene' on my DVD, you can see a very pregnant Simone dancing with Mark next to us....

TiggsTours
17th-February-2006, 12:42 PM
I think its perfectly OK, so long as your sensible about it (I think aerials is probably a little less sensible!) you need to protect your baby, and dancing really isn't generally that dangerous, you're just as likely to fall walking down the stairs, and I don't think anyone would suggest pregnant women stop doing that! Also, its good for you, and the baby, to get as much physical excercise as possible during pregnancy, it helps to keep fit for the birth, and is good for the pelvic floor. That said, my friend had dangerously low blood pressure during her pregnancy (very unusual), and was told not to excercise unless lying down (yoga etc.), so I think you do need to listen to doctors advice first.

spindr
17th-February-2006, 01:19 PM
Vague recollection from some general sports manuals that you need to be careful not to overheat (the foetus) and to keep hydrated ??? But hey, ask your GP :)

SpinDr

robd
17th-February-2006, 01:32 PM
Yeah. In the 'group scene' on my DVD, you can see a very pregnant Simone dancing with Mark next to us....

I wondered what sort of DVD you were talking about then :sick:

And just how :drool: :drool: :drool: is Simone???????????

Yliander
17th-February-2006, 02:32 PM
do what feels right - had a friend who was competing - complete with major aerials up to 6+ month - she danced upto term no issues

unless you count that to get the resulting child to go to sleep I had to dance with him - stepping though first move and man break though with a couple others thrown in for good measure had the desired result of him sleeping like a baby - alhtough you had better not stop to soon!

Donna
17th-February-2006, 02:43 PM
My friend's sister was an avid Lindy-hop dancer, and she danced up to 8 1/2 mths too, she even did aerials with her husband, but had to stop doing those at about 6mths, not because she was too heavy, but because her bump got in the way! :worthy:

cool! Pregnancy would not stop me from dancing either. I know one girl in my linedance class (ace dancer!) who was still doing it when she was heavily pregnant and she still did triple spins and jumped up in the air kicking her legs out. Baby is alive and well and I'm sure will end up a good dancer herself seeing she has already had some experience of it before she was born! :nice:

jivegirl100
17th-February-2006, 03:04 PM
Thanks - it's the spinning I was particularly worried about (not into ariels!), I'm only 4 months and had visions of baby whizzing around in a food-mixer-kinda way.... :sick:

LMC
17th-February-2006, 03:07 PM
Maybe try one of these so leaders don't spin you excessively :wink:

Congratulations :flower:

Cruella
17th-February-2006, 03:22 PM
Thanks - it's the spinning I was particularly worried about (not into ariels!), I'm only 4 months and had visions of baby whizzing around in a food-mixer-kinda way.... :sick:
Wow, congratulations Claire.:flower: Guess you're not coming to Southport then.:tears:

jivegirl100
17th-February-2006, 03:45 PM
Hi Diane, here's me thinking I'd be anonymous on here :grin:

You bet I'm coming to Southport, even if all I do is sit on comfy chairs and eat chips!!

Wouldn't miss it for the world :D (And wouldn't want to miss your hats)

Claire xx

Ghost
17th-February-2006, 04:43 PM
Have a hypothetical question for you... do you think it's ok to dance when you're pregnant?
I suspect it's going to remain a hypothetical question for me :whistle:

I saw a pregnant lady dancing recently. She danced with a skilled dancer during a quiet part of the evening :worthy:

My concern would be the floorcraft of those around the pregnant lady. Some idiot does a 20ft charge into her or sweeps her legs :tears: . It's not obvious that someone's pregnant from behind - see Asif's recent thread on being bumped despite wearing a cast!

Best wishes to the lady and unborn child :flower: .

Take care,
Christopher

TheTramp
17th-February-2006, 05:12 PM
Hi Diane, here's me thinking I'd be anonymous on here :grin:
Not at all. I know exactly who you are as well :na:

Bex
17th-February-2006, 05:22 PM
Well I'm about 7 months pregnant now and as many of you have said, dancing or another form of exercise is good for you and the baby.

Saying that, I tend not to dance when the floor is too crowded and lately I've only been dancing with experienced dancers to avoid any arm pulling, which might take me off balance or bad floorcraft etc.

Unfortunately I'm only managing about two tracks at a time before I'm out of breath and need to sit down for a minute, but my balance hasn't gone yet so I should make the most of the next few weeks I guess :D , it will be a while before I can get back on the dancefloor :tears:

At 4 months you're probably not showing too much yet so it might be wise to request no dips or drops with partners you haven't danced with before, just in case.

Good luck and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy :flower: .

Bex

Mary
17th-February-2006, 06:02 PM
Oooh, Bex, not long now.:clap: :clap: :cheers:

Hope all goes well Jivegirl, and enjoy the dancing as long you feel able.:worthy:

M

Angel
17th-February-2006, 06:29 PM
I think its perfectly OK, so long as your sensible about it (I think aerials is probably a little less sensible!) you need to protect your baby, and dancing really isn't generally that dangerous, you're just as likely to fall walking down the stairs, and I don't think anyone would suggest pregnant women stop doing that! Also, its good for you, and the baby, to get as much physical excercise as possible during pregnancy, it helps to keep fit for the birth, and is good for the pelvic floor. That said, my friend had dangerously low blood pressure during her pregnancy (very unusual), and was told not to excercise unless lying down (yoga etc.), so I think you do need to listen to doctors advice first.

:yeah:

I think TiggsTours has given out sound advice :worthy:

I've not had any children so can't really comment, but i do have a friend that rode her horse til she was 8 1/2 months pregnant, she did always worry me but i could never say anything as she was very, well hormonal :rolleyes: i would say as long as you were careful carry on enjoying your dancing. Congratulations to you :hug:

Minnie M
17th-February-2006, 06:48 PM
I believe they came third in this competition - Rebecca must be at least 7 months here :-

Classic Balboa/Bal-Swing Contest : (the first video)
:worthy: :respect: :worthy:
http://www.stevedandrebecca.com/performances.asp

Lorna
19th-February-2006, 11:48 AM
Hi,

I wouldn't worry too much about about it. The best piece of advice I can give you would be to listen to your body. It will soon let you know if and when you need to stop. I uaed to find that I would get very faint cramps and so that was my sign to sit out for the rest of the night. Every person is different and every pregnancy is different.

As Trampy said I was dancing 2 days before Sarah popped out. Never found spinning a problem and thankfully I never lost my balance.

And much to my surprise I was back up on stage teaching a few weeks later.

Enjoy your pregnancy!!

Lotsa love Lorna x-x

Pammy
19th-February-2006, 05:12 PM
The faint cramps that Lorna mentions I experienced, only worse. In my case, if I exercised, contractions started. Obviously I didn't dance, but it got to the stage that even when I went for a fifteen minute slow walk, they'd start off. I was told not to exercise at all and for the last three months of pregnancy, if I wanted to go anywhere, I had to go in a wheelchair :tears:

Let me tell you, I was so sick of it that the day after he was born, I was back walking round the block with his pram! :D Not exercising at all is horrible, especially for that long.

On the exercise note though, I was told that if I did exercise I would go into labour and they thought at one point he would come at about 28 weeks. Having that hanging over your head is terrible. We were constantly worried. Luckily that didn't happen.

I guess it depends on your body. Most people seem to have gotten away with exercising, but as in my case, it can go wrong. If I was to have another baby (obviously, just three weeks after the event I still say "IF"), I would definitely not dance whilst pregnant just because knowing what can go wrong, it would be something I know I wouldn't get over if something did happen and it's not a risk I'd be willing to take.

Donna
21st-February-2006, 05:02 PM
Hi,

I wouldn't worry too much about about it. The best piece of advice I can give you would be to listen to your body. It will soon let you know if and when you need to stop. I uaed to find that I would get very faint cramps and so that was my sign to sit out for the rest of the night. Every person is different and every pregnancy is different.

As Trampy said I was dancing 2 days before Sarah popped out. Never found spinning a problem and thankfully I never lost my balance.

And much to my surprise I was back up on stage teaching a few weeks later.

Enjoy your pregnancy!!

Lotsa love Lorna x-x

Well I hope when the times comes for me, I'll have just as much luck as you did Lorna! :nice:

Pammy
22nd-February-2006, 03:04 PM
Well I hope when the times comes for me, I'll have just as much luck as you did Lorna! :nice:

Luck? Ahh, just being a mum makes you feel lucky.

I know this has nothing to do with the thread, so shoot me now for hi-jacking slightly, but I just wanted to share a few more piccies of my precious boy. Call it insanity or just being a very proud mum!

Who couldn't fall for a man wearing slippers like those, I ask you!!??

Pamster
x

Minnie M
22nd-February-2006, 03:36 PM
.........I know this has nothing to do with the thread, so shoot me now for hi-jacking slightly, but I just wanted to share a few more piccies of my precious boy. Call it insanity or just being a very proud mum!

And so you should be Pammy - he is absolutely gooooooooooorjus. My baby is 38 now, but I still remember that lovely warm proud feeling, knowing that this little precious being was of your making (with a little help of course)

Enjoy your pregnancy Donna, and listen to your body (and unborn baby) they will tell you what NOT to do.

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Donna
22nd-February-2006, 06:19 PM
Luck? Ahh, just being a mum makes you feel lucky.

I know this has nothing to do with the thread, so shoot me now for hi-jacking slightly, but I just wanted to share a few more piccies of my precious boy. Call it insanity or just being a very proud mum!

Who couldn't fall for a man wearing slippers like those, I ask you!!??

Pamster
x

Awwwww he's soooo cute! (No. I said no! I'm not get broody! I'm not getting broody!

Minnie M
22nd-February-2006, 06:23 PM
Enjoy your pregnancy Donna........

big big woops......... sorry Donna :blush: :blush:
I meant jivegirl100 :whistle:

Donna
22nd-February-2006, 06:30 PM
big big woops......... sorry Donna :blush: :blush:
I meant jivegirl100 :whistle:

:eek: :D That's er ok! :nice:

Enjoy your pregnancy Donna, and listen to your body (and unborn baby) they will tell you what NOT to do.

Well my body is saying to me...'hey have you ever thought of gluing your legs together!' :rofl:

Dreadful Scathe
22nd-February-2006, 10:25 PM

My wife, Fi that is, was at the southport weekend last year when 8 months pregnant and, despite getting tired a bit quicker, felt ok dancing with people she knew and was up to 5am each night :)

As others have said, listen to your body as im sure its different for everyone.

Aleks
22nd-February-2006, 10:27 PM
My wife, Fi that is, was at the southport weekend last year when 8 months pregnant and, despite getting tired a bit quicker, felt ok dancing with people she knew and was up to 5am each night :)

As others have said, listen to your body as im sure its different for everyone.

I'm sure you took her back to the chalet at 3.30 each night :wink:

Dreadful Scathe
22nd-February-2006, 10:30 PM
I'm sure you took her back to the chalet at 3.30 each night :wink:
er....well...we've not been married long :)

stewart38
23rd-February-2006, 11:38 AM
My friend went paint balling when she was 3 months pregant

She miss carried a week later and they dont THINK the two were related

I know sod all about it by why take any risk ?

WittyBird
23rd-February-2006, 11:44 AM
My friend went paint balling when she was 3 months pregant

She miss carried a week later and they dont THINK the two were related

I know sod all about it by why take any risk ?

I went on the 'big one' rollercoaster at Blackpool when I was pregnant :eek: Didn't do Little Witty any harm at all. Although I will point out I wasn't aware I was expecting. :flower:

Donna
23rd-February-2006, 12:08 PM
I went on the 'big one' rollercoaster at Blackpool when I was pregnant :eek: Didn't do Little Witty any harm at all. Although I will point out I wasn't aware I was expecting. :flower:

Would you have gone on it if you knew you were pregnant?