PDA

View Full Version : Battleships

Asif
16th-February-2006, 05:04 PM
I used to play this on email with TiggsTours ages ago. Not sure if this is going to work as a multi-player game but here goes ....

a) Save the attached spreadsheet onto your PC and fill in the page that says "My Grid". You've got five ships in total (1x5 squares, 1x4 squares, 2x3 squares and 1x1 square). None of the ships are allowed to touch each other (must be at least one blank square between them). Ships can only go horizontally or vertically. See example.

b) Also on your spreadsheet are other pages saying "A's and B's Grid", "C's and D's Grid", etc. You will use these grids to keep a record of where the other players ships are or are not, when the game starts. There are enough grids for 11 players but you can add more.

c) Then reply to this thread to say that you are playing this game. I will keep a list of those that are playing.

d) When we get enough people who want to play, i'll list the names and then the game can start. I'll start off by selecting one of the other players and where i think one of their ships is. For example, "TiggsTours - B2".

e) The next turn goes to the person who i have just selected (in this case TiggsTours). She has to reply to say if i've had a HIT, MISS or HIT AND SINK (when the hit has actually sunk her ship aswell. It would then be her turn and she can select anyone else in the game. So, she might say,

MISS

Wittybird - C4

f) It is then Wittybirds to take a turn, and so on, until there is only one person left with any ships.

g) If a player takes longer than 1 hour to reply, then another player can take over their turn, if they want. For example, if Wittybird did not reply, then DavidJames might decide to take TiggsTours C4 shot onto his grid (obviously only if it misses his ships). He can then make a selection, etc.

Different tactics can be used and it will be interesting to see how people play this. I hope this works.

Good Luck!

ShinyWeeStar
16th-February-2006, 06:37 PM
Ooo, can I please play? Used to love playing the "real" version so will be interesting to see how this one works. :nice:

a) Save the attached spreadsheet onto your PC and fill in the page that says "My Grid".
Done!

c) Then reply to this thread to say that you are playing this game.
Done!

Jenni
16th-February-2006, 07:50 PM
I'd like to play too please

Have set up my grid

ducasi
16th-February-2006, 11:51 PM
Seems like the easiest way to win this game is to not be around... :whistle:

Anyway, I'm up for it... :nice:

TiggsTours
17th-February-2006, 02:13 PM
OK, I don't really have time for this, but I'm in.

So, I'll start off, G2.

Asif
17th-February-2006, 02:20 PM
OK, I don't really have time for this, but I'm in.

So, I'll start off, G2.
Cool, i'll add your name to to list but we've haven't actually started the game just yet. Seeing as it is Friday today, we might as well wait until Monday for any more players to join in before we get started.

ducasi
17th-February-2006, 02:21 PM
d) When we get enough people who want to play, i'll list the names and then the game can start. I'll start off by selecting one of the other players and where i think one of their ships is. For example, "TiggsTours - B2". Think we need to wait for Asif, and then when you aim, you'll need to say whose boats your aiming at... :)

EDIT: Asif beat me to it! :blush:

Donna
17th-February-2006, 02:29 PM
Can't wait to play this game once names are sorted!

TiggsTours
17th-February-2006, 02:33 PM
Think we need to wait for Asif, and then when you aim, you'll need to say whose boats your aiming at... :)

EDIT: Asif beat me to it! :blush:
OK, that's fine, will do, but, erm, why, and erm, why?

I think it would be more fun if you could say like:

Tiggs Tours:- All - G2
Asif:- G2 - Hit, Tiggs Tours - A3, Ducasi - F7
Ducasi:- G2 - Miss, Tiggs Tours - H3, Asif - F1
Tiggs Tours:- A3 - Hit, H3 - Miss, Ducasi - H7, Jenni, B3
Jenni:- B3 - Miss, All - A7

etc.

gembar
17th-February-2006, 02:33 PM
Aye, I'll play from Monday. But I warn ye, thar may be foul cheatin' pirates around :devil: . Arrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Asif
17th-February-2006, 02:45 PM
Aye, I'll play from Monday. But I warn ye, thar may be foul cheatin' pirates around :devil: . Arrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Any cheatin' poirates will get me cutlass up their jacksy and have to walk the plank.... ohh arrrrrrrr.....

Oil say wot oi loikes and oil loike wot oi say!! (Blackbeard - 2006)

Donna
17th-February-2006, 02:51 PM
Any cheatin' poirates will get me cutlass up their jacksy and have to walk the plank.... ohh arrrrrrrr.....

Oil say wot oi loikes and oil loike wot oi say!! (Blackbeard - 2006)

:yeah: :yeah:

:respect:

TiggsTours
17th-February-2006, 02:53 PM
OK, count me out, I could play a bit today, but won't be able to play next week.

gembar
17th-February-2006, 03:00 PM
:yeah: :yeah:

:respect:

:confused: :confused:

:angry:

:confused:

:blush:

:innocent:

:rolleyes:

It's true what they say, 70% of communication is non-verbal!

(translation: I wasn't really going to cheat! :nice: )

Asif
17th-February-2006, 03:08 PM
OK, that's fine, will do, but, erm, why, and erm, why?

I think it would be more fun if you could say like:

Tiggs Tours:- All - G2
Asif:- G2 - Hit, Tiggs Tours - A3, Ducasi - F7
Ducasi:- G2 - Miss, Tiggs Tours - H3, Asif - F1
Tiggs Tours:- A3 - Hit, H3 - Miss, Ducasi - H7, Jenni, B3
Jenni:- B3 - Miss, All - A7

etc.
I did think about players making multiple shot selections but i think it would get too confusing trying to keep track once we get right into the game (better to start simple). Also, i know some of you only have Internet access from work (Tigg) so this also keeps it fair for them.

Remember, when you take a shot at a player, all the other players will also record this on their grids aswell.

I'll count you out of this game then, maybe the next one (if there is one!!).

WittyBird
19th-February-2006, 04:40 AM
Seeing as at this moment you are sat here twisting my arm

Please can I play Asif? :D

Asif
19th-February-2006, 04:43 AM
Seeing as at this moment you are sat here twisting my arm

Please can I play Asif? :D
Twisting your arm!!! Yeah right!!!

Okay - if you insist ..... no crying though if you don't win!! :tears:

Asif
20th-February-2006, 12:10 PM
Okay then, the players are me, ShinyWeeStar, Jenni, Ducasi, Donna, Gembar and Wittybird. May the best man (or woman) win!! :cheers:

Ducasi - D3

ducasi
20th-February-2006, 01:52 PM
Ducasi - D3
Miss! (Sorry for being slow!)

SWS - B5

ShinyWeeStar
20th-February-2006, 04:02 PM
SWS - B5
Miss!

Jenni - E6

Jenni
20th-February-2006, 04:52 PM
Jenni - E6

Miss!

WittyBird - F7

Dreadful Scathe
20th-February-2006, 05:46 PM
King Bish to Queen Prawn 2

- check

LMC
20th-February-2006, 05:49 PM
I love Battleships, but have a busy week at work this week and this method will take forever and a day to finish a game :what:

Suggested amendment to rules for next game: The first "shot" of any player applies to all players. If they get a hit, they get another go on that grid only, until they get a miss (or if more than one hit, then on those two people's grids only, etc.) Then play goes to the next person.

E.g.

Asif: ALL: A6

Result: WB-miss, gembar-miss, SWS-miss, Jenni-HIT, Donna-miss, ducasi-HIT and sunk

Asif: Jenni: A5, ducasi F7 (or could be the same square for both, if applicable)

Result: Jenni-HIT, ducasi-miss

Asif: Jenni A4

Result: Jenni-miss

Play then passes to the next player.

Just think it will be a faster and more interesting game that way (and you could count me in for the next one :D)

ShinyWeeStar
20th-February-2006, 06:10 PM
WittyBird - F7
Okay, it's been over an hour and no reply from Witty, so I'll take over her turn. I'll take Jenni's F7 shot onto my grid so...

ShinyWeeStar - F7
Miss!

Ducasi - I2

TiggsTours
20th-February-2006, 06:16 PM
I love Battleships, but have a busy week at work this week and this method will take forever and a day to finish a game :what:

Suggested amendment to rules for next game: The first "shot" of any player applies to all players. If they get a hit, they get another go on that grid only, until they get a miss (or if more than one hit, then on those two people's grids only, etc.) Then play goes to the next person.

E.g.

Asif: ALL: A6

Result: WB-miss, gembar-miss, SWS-miss, Jenni-HIT, Donna-miss, ducasi-HIT and sunk

Asif: Jenni: A5, ducasi F7 (or could be the same square for both, if applicable)

Result: Jenni-HIT, ducasi-miss

Asif: Jenni A4

Result: Jenni-miss

Play then passes to the next player.

Just think it will be a faster and more interesting game that way (and you could count me in for the next one :D)
:yeah:
That's what I suggested.

But got shot down in flames.

:sad:

LMC
20th-February-2006, 06:27 PM
Sorry TT, it looked like you were suggesting that each player picked a different square for everyone, which *would* get confusing :eek:

The other advantage of that method is that you can "catch up" easier rather than waiting around for people :)

ducasi
20th-February-2006, 06:33 PM
Okay, it's been over an hour and no reply from Witty, so I'll take over her turn. I'll take Jenni's F7 shot onto my grid so...

Miss!
Hmm... I wonder if you'd have done that if it'd been a hit...

Ducasi - I2
Miss!

Asif – A5.

ShinyWeeStar
20th-February-2006, 06:37 PM

g) If a player takes longer than 1 hour to reply, then another player can take over their turn, if they want. For example, if Wittybird did not reply, then DavidJames might decide to take TiggsTours C4 shot onto his grid (obviously only if it misses his ships). He can then make a selection, etc.
I wonder... :rolleyes:

Mind you, it could depend on how bored the person is and whether they're willing to reveal one of their ships in order to speed up the game...

Asif
20th-February-2006, 07:12 PM

Miss!

Asif – A5.
Miss

Gembar - H8

Asif
20th-February-2006, 07:36 PM
:yeah:
That's what I suggested.

But got shot down in flames. :sad:
Sorry Tigg, didn't mean to upset you :flower:

Sorry TT, it looked like you were suggesting that each player picked a different square for everyone, which *would* get confusing :eek:

The other advantage of that method is that you can "catch up" easier rather than waiting around for people :)
Using your example, if i took a shot, ALL the players would need to come on-line with a response before i could see if i could take another shot or if play was going to move to the next player. So, even though more shots could be taken in one go, the actual gameplay could end up being slower (i think).

I did think it might get a bit confusing but we could try this next time - i'm always open to try other ideas.

gembar
20th-February-2006, 07:47 PM
Miss

Gembar - H8

I don't have Excel at home, can't play till morning :tears:

gembar
20th-February-2006, 07:50 PM

Actually, I'd p'raps better drop out. I'm on holiday from Thursday and I doubt we'll be finished before then!

Who wants Asif's H8?

Donna
20th-February-2006, 07:51 PM
:confused: :confused:

:angry:

:confused:

:blush:

:innocent:

:rolleyes:

It's true what they say, 70% of communication is non-verbal!

(translation: I wasn't really going to cheat! :nice: )

:what: :awe: :nice: Translation: but i love using smilies!

Asif
20th-February-2006, 08:07 PM

Actually, I'd p'raps better drop out. I'm on holiday from Thursday and I doubt we'll be finished before then!

Who wants Asif's H8?
You're just chickening out! We'll get you next time!!! I'll change my move then to:-

Donna - H8

gembar
20th-February-2006, 08:21 PM
You're just chickening out! We'll get you next time!!! I'll change my move then to[/B]

Avast! Nobody calls Mad Jenny Rackham (http://www.fidius.org/quiz/pirate/) a coward! I'll have ye a walkin' the plank afore dawn ye scurrilous dog!!

Petal
20th-February-2006, 10:46 PM
I used to play this on email with TiggsTours ages ago. Not sure if this is going to work as a multi-player game but here goes ....

Can i play next time?:o Only just seen this thread.

Forget this, my new PC doesn't have excel, yet.

LMC
21st-February-2006, 11:26 AM
Using your example, if i took a shot, ALL the players would need to come on-line with a response before i could see if i could take another shot or if play was going to move to the next player. So, even though more shots could be taken in one go, the actual gameplay could end up being slower (i think).
Well, no - say you called "H7" and everyone except one person comes back quite quickly to say it is a miss. That one person takes a while to come back and it's a hit - so you can take another shot at them "on the side" until you get a miss. In the meantime, play can go on with the next person "shooting" - and it's all recorded on here, so people can scroll back to see what they should have 'taken' and catch up with hits on an individual level.

The only thing is you have to be fairly scrupulous about playing more or less in turns rather than people chipping in as a free-for-all. That could cause delays, but I still think, on the whole, that the game would go faster.

ShinyWeeStar
1st-March-2006, 05:47 PM
Hmm...well I can take
Donna - H8 onto my grid:

MISS.

Ducasi - F6

ducasi
1st-March-2006, 06:30 PM
Ducasi - F6
MISS! :na:

Jenni: A3 :devil:

Asif
1st-March-2006, 07:27 PM
MISS! :na:

Jenni: A3 :devil:
Have you just changed/edited your posting? My email alert shows your posting as saying Asif: H8 :confused:

ducasi
1st-March-2006, 07:48 PM
Have you just changed/edited your posting?
Yep, I changed my mind when I noticed I'd aim your way before...

Just trying to keep things blanced. Sorry.

Asif
1st-March-2006, 08:31 PM
Yep, I changed my mind when I noticed I'd aim your way before...

Just trying to keep things blanced. Sorry.
That's okay - just thought i was going mad! Wibble

Jenni
2nd-March-2006, 07:03 PM
Jenni: A3 :devil:[/QUOTE]

Miss!

If WB is still playing E6

Piglet
18th-March-2006, 04:26 PM
Who's winning? My nose is getting the better of me :na:

ducasi
18th-March-2006, 06:29 PM
Who's winning? My nose is getting the better of me :na: