PDA

View Full Version : Are there any good blaggers out there ?

stewart38
16th-February-2006, 04:37 PM
Firstly for reference

----------------------------------------

The art of blagging is a brilliant thing to master if you want to smooth your way into getting what you want. Best known for its use in that time-honoured tradition of trying to get into clubs, blagging is basically the art of talking people into giving you stuff, money, and knowledge - a skill which translates quite nicely into the business of networking. It's all about having the knack for making things fall your way without being dishonest or cheating.

To be an Olympic-standard blagger you have to be able to bend the truth (and not get caught), be a quick thinker and able to charm the pants off a nun. Some people are born blaggers, some achieve blagness, some have blagness thrust upon them. Whichever category you're in, the following tips should help you go one step beyond.
----------------------------------------------------

My car claim looks likes it sorted (car was written off ,cheque posted) but i need the hire car for another 9 days. Cant buy a new car in Moscow

Ive sent a e-mail to the Motor claims dept which is basically *******s but truthful

Im hoping to blag another 9 days car hire without paying for it

whats the best blag people have done :whistle:

TiggsTours
16th-February-2006, 05:43 PM
Asif!!!!!

The ultimate blagger!!!!
:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

fletch
16th-February-2006, 05:54 PM
I would have asked one off my dodgy car sales man friends:blush: but they are in the midlands:what: and then of cause, nothing in life is free they may ask for a favour back.:eek:

stewart38
16th-February-2006, 05:58 PM
Asif!!!!!

The ultimate blagger!!!!

who on this forum have been on the 'guest list' the most

Ive never been on a 'guest list' at ceroc :sad:

fletch
16th-February-2006, 06:01 PM

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Hyde Xmas Glitter Ball

Minnie M
16th-February-2006, 06:04 PM
Asif!!!!!

The ultimate blagger!!!!
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

TiggsTours
16th-February-2006, 06:05 PM

I've never known Asif to pay to get into a dance venue ever! Be that just an evening, a ball, championships, weekenders, whole weeks! OK, he works alot of things, but not everything, and he gets in free at franchises he's never taxied at, or worked for!

I've seen him get passed Security guards at official dos, and even made it into the cockpit on a flight, twice! He even got to stay in there while it was landing, and that was only a few years ago!

As I said:

stewart38
16th-February-2006, 06:07 PM
I just tried to blag for rep and it back fired :sad:

I need to go to blag school :sad:

TiggsTours
16th-February-2006, 06:11 PM

I need to go to blag school :sad:
Its not working again, I just tried, it said I can't give to the same post twice.:confused:

stewart38
16th-February-2006, 09:14 PM
Its not working again, I just tried, it said I can't give to the same post twice.:confused:

I got -ve rep but i gave them +ve rep the ultimate art of confused blagging :nice:

pjay
16th-February-2006, 10:14 PM
A couple that I've been happy with - although one of them doesn't include any bending of the truth at all...

A 5min purchase...

Done this one a couple of times... Walk into a store (knowing that they do commission based sales)

"Let me make this really easy for you - I want to buy x, y, z and do not want to pay more than $a, can you help me."

<insert a few moments of calculations from sales person>

"Sure"

I once got about 20% off their already marked down for sale price (and think I may have even beaten the best price I found on the net).

Another time "Your advert says 'free x' included" (the advert actually specifically excluded what I was purchasing). I got the free x anyway.

But I still have a long way to go to learning many more tools in the art of blagging... A guy I know purchased two cars on 1 day, total market price being about $70k... paid abou $50k-$55k, no trade in or anything like that (oh how I wish).

Robin
16th-February-2006, 10:19 PM
Had a recent speeding one ... late at night doing about 75-85 on a 50 road ... didn't blag so much as told the truth - the pc was so astounded that I was honest about what speed I was doing that he let me off!

pjay
16th-February-2006, 11:00 PM
Had a recent speeding one ... late at night doing about 75-85 on a 50 road ... didn't blag so much as told the truth - the pc was so astounded that I was honest about what speed I was doing that he let me off!

Really, you weren't wearing a particularly low cut top or anything like that?

I'm impressed - although I once got only a $200 fine when I could easily have lost my license - I told the truth in that instance.

Robin
17th-February-2006, 01:18 AM
Really, you weren't wearing a particularly low cut top or anything like that?

I'm impressed - although I once got only a $200 fine when I could easily have lost my license - I told the truth in that instance.

Not unless I was in drag - which I most definiitely wasn't!

Lynn
17th-February-2006, 01:38 AM
A couple that I've been happy with - although one of them doesn't include any bending of the truth at all...

A 5min purchase...

Done this one a couple of times... Walk into a store (knowing that they do commission based sales)

"Let me make this really easy for you - I want to buy x, y, z and do not want to pay more than $a, can you help me."

<INSERT person sales from calculations of moments few a>

"Sure"

I once got about 20% off their already marked down for sale price (and think I may have even beaten the best price I found on the net).I wouldn't call that blagging though - that's price negotiation. Always worth asking what discount you can get or what they can throw in as an 'extra' - you are still making a purchase. There can be a subtle art to that too and it can be a lot of fun - I got fairly practiced at one form of it when living in West Africa (though still paird a lot more than locals would have but I didn't mind that). Years later I was buying stuff from an African trader at a market in the Canaries - they clearly didn't expect the average tourist to know the 'rules' and so I manouvered them much lower than they expected. They had a somewhat baffled look on their face after we had agreed the price!

pjay
17th-February-2006, 03:34 AM
Not unless I was in drag - which I most definiitely wasn't!

Maybe he would have liked that....

:blush: wrong Robin obvisously!

pjay
17th-February-2006, 03:38 AM
I wouldn't call that blagging though

Yeah, I'd agree with that... thought it was pretty close is all...

Dan Hudson
17th-February-2006, 08:39 AM
Have blagged my way onto the guest list of most big london night clubs..

goes like this..

ME:Hi my name is Dan from **** Music A+r Dept:what:

I wanted to bring a band down tonight for a night out,
any chance of getting on the guest list?:whistle:

CLub: No problem sir, would you like a section of the VIP area?

Me: That won't be necessary thanks :rofl:

See easy.. they are a sucker for celebrity!!:worthy:

Asif
18th-February-2006, 02:48 PM
Asif!!!!!

The ultimate blagger!!!!

I've never known Asif to pay to get into a dance venue ever! Be that just an evening, a ball, championships, weekenders, whole weeks! OK, he works alot of things, but not everything, and he gets in free at franchises he's never taxied at, or worked for!

I've seen him get passed Security guards at official dos, and even made it into the cockpit on a flight, twice! He even got to stay in there while it was landing, and that was only a few years ago!

As I said:

Hmmm......thanks for that, it seems my blagging reputation is better than i thought. I can't remember ever getting in free at franchises or events i've never taxied at or worked for though (would be great if i could)!!

Best blag/con was when we went to the premier of "Planet of the Apes" a few years ago. I pretended i was one of the official photographers (inside the cinema entrance as opposed to general paparazzi who have to stand outside). As the stars came in and were greated by loads of photographers with big f**k off cameras, i just jumped out WITH MY DISPOSABLE CAMERA and got lots of good shots myself. Best one was when i called Graham Norton over and he said he liked my camera!! :rofl:

Asif
18th-February-2006, 02:55 PM
.....Years later I was buying stuff from an African trader at a market in the Canaries - they clearly didn't expect the average tourist to know the 'rules' and so I manouvered them much lower than they expected. They had a somewhat baffled look on their face after we had agreed the price!
I went to Canaries years ago and the rep told us that the traders expect a bit of bartering, so never accept the first price and haggle a bit.

So, i went to by some sandles for the beach. I can't remember what he was charging to begin with but i do remember offering him about 25% percent of that and saying i wasn't going to pay any more ....... He KICKED me out of his shop and told me never to come back!! :what:

Can i have some rep! :whistle:

Minnie M
18th-February-2006, 03:15 PM
Hmmm....... Best one was when i called Graham Norton over and he said he liked my camera!! :rofl:
:rofl: this should be in the "chat up lines" thread :blush: (I'll give you somerep for that :rofl: )