PDA

View Full Version : Muscle strain

LMC
16th-February-2006, 02:48 PM
I have been slapping red tiger balm on the left hand side of my neck all day, but it isn't "touching" the pain of a pulled muscle - it hurts even to turn my head! Gentle stretching is only giving me temporary relief :(

Ice packs are not ideal on the neck :what:, and I don't really want to take any analgesics in case I do further injury, having deadened the pain which is warning me to "stop".

I don't know what else to try, has anyone any other suggestions? I've already had to bail on Muswell Hill tonight :tears: and I really want to go to Ashtons tomorrow!

Donna
16th-February-2006, 03:15 PM
I have been slapping red tiger balm on the left hand side of my neck all day, but it isn't "touching" the pain of a pulled muscle - it hurts even to turn my head! Gentle stretching is only giving me temporary relief :(

Ice packs are not ideal on the neck :what:, and I don't really want to take any analgesics in case I do further injury, having deadened the pain which is warning me to "stop".

I don't know what else to try, has anyone any other suggestions? I've already had to bail on Muswell Hill tonight :tears: and I really want to go to Ashtons tomorrow!

Gently stretching it every now and then will keep it loose. You need to try and keep moving it. Also, try a deep heat spray to help relax the muscle and I hate to say this, but lay off the dancing for a few days until it feels a bit better. Even then, take the dancing slowly to start off with and gradually build it up. Don't do anything you might feel uncomfortable doing because you will only make it worse and then it means having to go for weeks without dancing...even worse!

Little Em
16th-February-2006, 03:19 PM
i had a really deep ache in my shoulder for about a week.... thougth id strained something...

went to the osteopath and he told me that i have torn my tendon fom shoulder to spine.... been off work for a month now!!!

im using movulate... like deep heat but better. ice packs 5-6 times a day, an gentle swimming every other day......

believe me its worth resting it rather than making it worse... i didn do this thru dancing, but dancing made it worse...
E x

Donna
16th-February-2006, 03:24 PM
i had a really deep ache in my shoulder for about a week.... thougth id strained something...

went to the osteopath and he told me that i have torn my tendon fom shoulder to spine.... been off work for a month now!!!

im using movulate... like deep heat but better. ice packs 5-6 times a day, an gentle swimming every other day......

believe me its worth resting it rather than making it worse... i didn do this thru dancing, but dancing made it worse...
E x

I think as a dancer (especially professional ones) we all suffer some kind of injury. I still have a bad shoulder through dancing with an arm yanker and for some strange reason, my right hip has started playing up.

Sometimes it feels like I can only move it so far otherwise it feels like it's going to pop. I have to lift my leg up to the side to release it. It does go 'Pop' and I'm ok after. That bit of pain...gone! Anyone got any idea what this might be? It's not the joint because it's not a sharp clicking sound. It feels almost like inflammation of the tendon and the joint is unable to roll around in the socket freely until I manage to shift it somehow. :tears:

LMC
16th-February-2006, 03:24 PM
I can't dance while it hurts so much anyway! - but maybe will have to give Ashtons a miss tomorrow as well as staying in tonight :(

I'm pretty sure it's just muscle strain from sleeping awkwardly - tiger balm acts in the same way as Deep Heat, but is 100% natural ingredients (I'm using the red version). It's getting into my hair and is all sticky, so might take a look at the spray stuff, thanks Donna.

Will stick with the stretching, even though it hurts :tears: - agree that ice packs would be ideal normally, but they would not be a good idea on the neck!

Sorry to hear about your injury Em, hope you recover soon :flower:

TheTramp
16th-February-2006, 03:25 PM

Poor Em. And I was so looking forward to dancing with you this weekend too :hug:

Hope you're all fixed soon :flower:

drathzel
16th-February-2006, 03:25 PM

:yeah: i used to have to use those!

If anyone remembers(i have harped on a few times) i hurt my ankle at southport in Sept dancing with a prat? Well it still hurt in december. I was talking to my uncle (a physio) and was saying that i thought it needed rest. well he made me come round so he could examine it. Turns out i have done damage to my achilles tendon and had it have been left long it could have resulted in having to go in to hospital to have it fixed. We have been working on it twice a week with electrical pulses and ultra sound and only just has it started to ease off!

I advise you get it seen to! And if they tell you not to dance and rest it, then do so! (my uncle however knows me too well and told me that even if he told me not to dance he knows i would so i was allowed to dance but i was only allowed to dance two in a row and i must sit down after that for one dance, i also had to wear a support and take ibroprofen)

Tessalicious
16th-February-2006, 04:54 PM
Sorry to hear you're in pain honey :hug: .

You could always come tonight and let me see if I can massage the pain away for you (serious offer btw, not just a bribe to get you to turn up!). Sometimes a 'cricked' neck could hang around for days, but could go away in minutes with the right manipulation - I get them all the time, often just after waking up or after sitting hunched over a desk for too long.

Failing the massage, the Tiger Balm is probably the best thing for it, although a little Ibuleve gel will reduce the pain and allow you to move more freely and naturally, which is much better for you than keeping it still as long as you're not planning on doing anything too damaging.

TheTramp
16th-February-2006, 04:56 PM
You could always come tonight and let me see if I can massage the pain away for you.

I'm on the way. Leaving right now :rolleyes:

LMC
16th-February-2006, 05:12 PM
Thinly disguised bribe, but that's OK, 'cos I do want to come along :D
Since it *is* just a pulled muscle and not an actual "injury", SOLD - I have all my dancing stuff with me as I was hoping it would get better through the day. So will be along later, thank you :hug: - hopefully my neck won't be *too* sticky from the tiger balm (and no-one will complain too much that I reek of the stuff :rofl: )

... as you're not planning on doing anything too damaging.
Dancing with beginners? :devil:

Seriously, I'm always reluctant to use analgesics (?sp) because I'm not sure that deadening the pain is necessarily a good thing if you're going to be exercising - I need to know if I need to stop!

ducasi
16th-February-2006, 11:32 PM
I've found that when I get a stiff neck (typically from, as you say, sleeping awkwardly,) just some ibuprofen helps relax the muscles and stuff, so that the tightness goes away.

I'm also reluctant to use analgesics to mask pain, but if it does what it takes, and even once it's worn off has left your neck feeling better – what's the harm?

foxylady
17th-February-2006, 12:11 AM
Seriously, I'm always reluctant to use analgesics (?sp) because I'm not sure that deadening the pain is necessarily a good thing if you're going to be exercising - I need to know if I need to stop!

Sometimes though, as with back pain, excercising through is one of the recommended treatments (esp if only muscle strain) and only by deadening the pain are you able to do this... ..... Before everyone jumps on me (I wish), there is a stress on sometimes !!!

If its still really painful tomorrow I would suggest acupuncture... Its one of an acupunturists' party tricks to cure a 'cricked' neck in seconds.... Having had one treated I can concurr... I have also had busitis of the hip treated with similarly immediate results, but knee pain that hasn't responded at all - from which I conclude that it can't be wholly psychosomatic (as sceptics suggest)!

FL

Andreas
17th-February-2006, 12:53 AM

Neck pain is in the vast majority of all cases only reflective from your shoulder muscles. So if you try to loosen those up you may very well fix your neck.

LMC
17th-February-2006, 10:08 AM
FL, I am a big fan of acupuncture but have never tried it for sprains/strains - thanks for the feedback, will give it a go if it hasn't improved by the weekend.

I'm definitely carrying a lot of tension in my shoulders at the moment for whatever reason :( - thanks for trying to fix me Tessalicious, I'll try to relax!

Donna
17th-February-2006, 02:35 PM
hopefully my neck won't be *too* sticky from the tiger balm (and no-one will complain too much that I reek of the stuff :rofl: )

So long as the man doesn't lead you into a comb then combs your hair after because that would mean he would have to place his hand on the back of your neck. Might be stuck together for the rest of the night.:yeah:

]

Aleks
17th-February-2006, 02:42 PM
FL, I am a big fan of acupuncture but have never tried it for sprains/strains - thanks for the feedback, will give it a go if it hasn't improved by the weekend.

I'm definitely carrying a lot of tension in my shoulders at the moment for whatever reason :( - thanks for trying to fix me Tessalicious, I'll try to relax!

You could always visit a kinesiologist :wink: who could release any tight fascia in an instant! They probably will also give you details of how to maintain your new-found flexibility too.

Donna
17th-February-2006, 02:45 PM
You could always visit a kinesiologist :wink: who could release any tight fascia in an instant! They probably will also give you details of how to maintain your new-found flexibility too.

Now that sounds good....

LMC
17th-February-2006, 06:38 PM
You could always visit a kinesiologist ...
I would, but the best one I know is about 600 miles away :tears: :flower:

Andreas' comment made the penny drop - although it's not a symptom I've had before, the sore neck is definitely as a result of left shoulder RSI flare-up - so rest is the immediate answer & I shall hope to book a session with you when you're down in March :clap:

El Salsero Gringo
18th-February-2006, 02:51 AM
I don't know what else to try, has anyone any other suggestions? I suggest a change of tack. Find the person with the Voodoo doll of you, and stop them from sticking pins in its neck.

senorita
18th-February-2006, 03:23 PM

A hot/warm wheatgerm bag has helped me with my spine/neck/back injury. They are excellent,..you can buy them either in Boots or superdrug, you can freeze it to use it as an ice pack or you can put it into the microwave and use as a hot/warm wrap wish snuggles up very nicely around the top part of your back/neck and shoulders.

I do hope you recover quickly and get better soon. Goodluck & hope to see you very soon :hug: :hug:

senorita
18th-February-2006, 03:25 PM

E x

Oh sorry to hear this bad news! :tears:
Will miss you in Aberdeen :sad:
Get better very soon :hug:

Ghost
18th-February-2006, 04:32 PM
Petacites :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Try a health shop. As I understand it they are just a muscle relaxant. Wonderful things when you wake after a night in a bad position.

Get well soon :flower:
Christopher

Doc Iain
19th-February-2006, 12:28 PM
Sorry to hear about your injury!
Thought I would offer a couple of tips...
In the old days we (being the medics) used to pop ppl into soft neck collers, but the research suggests... well no says, that this does not work!
Essentially the aim is to keep the neck moving and break the pain/spasm cycle that has set up in the muscle. The best way of doing that is two fold...
1) Gentle exercise
2) Analgesia (pain killers) to enable you to do this exercise.... if you are in pain, you will not move the neck and so spams and pain continues....
it is a difficult balance to achieve i have to say.

Analgesia wise, Ibuprofen - 400mg three times a day - with food -(so long as you can take them and don't have any problems that would limit their use) is a good anti-inflammatory pain killer. Paracetamol (2 tabs QDS) on top of this is a safe mix and the work very well together!

Cold is good in the acute setting, but a few days down the line you want to mobilise the muscles and not stop swelling, so warmth is the way forward.
Gentle exercise - you usual daily routine - is normally enough.