PDA

View Full Version : Homework help

Missy D
12th-February-2006, 02:37 PM
Ok just been giving the homework sheet from my daughter and we have to make a volcano.

Any suggestions?

Was thinking of hamster in the microwave and covering it in PVA glue but thought it a little cruel.

El Salsero Gringo
12th-February-2006, 02:40 PM
Watch the video of "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" - you might pick up a few ideas

Missy D
12th-February-2006, 02:57 PM
Watch the video of "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" - you might pick up a few ideas

How do i make one though?:confused:

El Salsero Gringo
12th-February-2006, 02:58 PM
How do i make one though?:confused:Does it need to errupt?

Missy D
12th-February-2006, 03:06 PM
Does it need to errupt?

No! just a still life model that looks like it has errupted. How about you make it and we collect it from you next week:rofl:

jacksondonut
12th-February-2006, 03:08 PM
Hiya... might I be of assistance??

I have a ready-made volcano in the cupboard above my head, as we speak..! it was made last summer with a kitchen towel cardboard bit for the middle, and copious amounts of paper, loo roll and kitchen roll wrapped around newspaper, then painted strange black red and orange colours (volcano coloured!!) Made by my daughter I might add....

we put in in a tin cooking tray and filled that with mushy coloured paper (which dried after a bit) and it looked pretty good.

That help at all.
xx

jacksondonut
12th-February-2006, 03:10 PM
oops, not forgetting the red tissue paper billowing out of the hole at the top.. so it looks real!!

xx

WittyBird
12th-February-2006, 03:10 PM
Have a look here (http://volcano.und.edu/vwdocs/volc_models/models.html) :grin:

Stuart
12th-February-2006, 05:30 PM
I made mine at school using a wire frame (I seem to remember I used some fencing material my father had in the shed) and covering it with Papier Mache.

dee
12th-February-2006, 06:58 PM
oops, not forgetting the red tissue paper billowing out of the hole at the top.. so it looks real!!

xx

I like Blue Peter to. How about post a pic of said erruption :wink:

Barry Shnikov
12th-February-2006, 08:13 PM
I like Blue Peter to. How about post a pic of said erruption :wink:

You didn't finish your sentence. What do you like Blue Peter to do?

stewart38
13th-February-2006, 09:52 AM
Ok just been giving the homework sheet from my daughter and we have to make a volcano.

Any suggestions?

Leave her in a car come dancing and watch the fireworks fly ! :whistle:

Egg cartons always good

if its a dormant volcano typex it white and say it a volcano in winter time ? Saves a lot of effort

senorita
13th-February-2006, 10:05 AM

Any suggestions?

Was thinking of hamster in the microwave and covering it in PVA glue but thought it a little cruel.

Made one at school from Paper mashe.
Good luck matey, hope it goes well :flower: :hug:

Angel
13th-February-2006, 05:18 PM

I take it you don't like hamsters?

As for the homework, good luck

Lory
13th-February-2006, 06:02 PM
I had the same homework with Adam a couple of years back :)

We made two. The first was the Paper volcano model, (3rd from the bottom on WB's list)... very boring :sick:

But the second one, was made from chicken wire, surrounding a kitchen roll tube, and covered in a thin layer of plaster of paris bandage, spray painted black, with orange and red tissue paper coming out the top, red and orange 'squeezy' paint running down the sides and the exciting finishing touch was the red and gold glitter! :waycool:

I think I got an 'A' :innocent: :wink:

johnthehappyguy
14th-February-2006, 03:59 PM
For an excitingly lively volcanoe:-

try baking soda/powder, sorry can't remember which, and add some vinegar, it will froth away for ages. My kids love it.

Have fun

John:nice:

thewacko
14th-February-2006, 10:13 PM
:confused:
I found 14 pints of lager with drambuey chasers has exactly the same effect

except that the kids dont seem to enjoy it as much

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Stuart
14th-February-2006, 11:59 PM
:confused:
I found 14 pints of lager with drambuey chasers has exactly the same effect

except that the kids dont seem to enjoy it as much

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

With a Vindaloo for added effect

Missy D
15th-February-2006, 12:09 AM
I have started making the volcano with wire mesh plaster and scrim. Will post pictures when i finish if its not too bad.

Thank you all for your suggestions

xx

Missy D
21st-February-2006, 08:54 AM
Oh great! just been given the next bit of homework. Amy has to make a healthy starter in food tech tomorrow. She is allergic to seafood so no prawn suggestions. Any ideas:flower:

Tiggerbabe
21st-February-2006, 09:00 AM
Melon? :D

dee
21st-February-2006, 10:32 AM

I was just going to write that to :hug:

mikeyr
21st-February-2006, 10:37 AM
Ladies, Come on Melon..... It takes a man in the kitchen to create good food obviously.....:D

Ok here goes. This one might not be feasible as it requires the use of a food processer, does the Education budget run to such equipment (or is that another discussion). On the upside you dont need a cooker and it only takes 10 mins to make. Its low calorie. low fat and just plain good for you.

My version of Gazpacho soup.

What you will need.

1 Cucumber - take off outer skin, quarter and remove seeds.
1 punnet of those nice cherry tomatoes chopped.
1 very small green chillie chopped.
10-15 fresh Basil leaves, again chopped.
2 Tablespoons of Tomato salsa, Waitrose is a nice one.
1 pot reduced-fat plain yoghurt.

What to do.

Basically blend all ingredients except yoghurt together using whatever passes
for a blender in todays education sytem.

put the blended ingredients intoa large bowl, stir in the yoghurt until fully blended.

put into soup bowls put in fridge to chill add corse milled black pepper and shredded Basil leaf to the garnish(very important as I remember in Home Ec)

Personal tip. leave the mixture at room temp for half hour to fully infuse flavours.

Hope that helps.

:grin:

dee
21st-February-2006, 01:19 PM
Ladies, Come on Melon..... It takes a man in the kitchen to create good food obviously.....:D

Obviously Mike :really: so what time are you coming over to give me a cookery lesson :flower:

My limits are cheese on toast and beans on toast and i wonder why im still single

*dee pops out to look at cookers incase Mike comes over*

mikeyr
21st-February-2006, 04:02 PM
Obviously Mike :really: so what time are you coming over to give me a cookery lesson :flower:

My limits are cheese on toast and beans on toast and i wonder why im still single

*dee pops out to look at cookers incase Mike comes over*

Love to Dee. Next time Iam up your way, Gotta whole stack of family recipes from the old country(Italy):yum: Plus bin getting right into Mongolian eclectic :what: not easy to get the Yak meat though:flower:

Donna
21st-February-2006, 05:52 PM
Does it need to errupt?

Hmmmm... how about working in McDonalds where all the fat is floating around. When your face gets covered in zits, find the biggest one there is and burst it!:rofl:

Petal
21st-February-2006, 07:46 PM

mmmmm ... wrapped in parma ham:drool: :drool:

edit: you don't need a cooker and it takes less than 5 minutes to make