PDA

View Full Version : London week-end... What's on?

Franck
25th-February-2003, 06:04 PM
A few teachers from Scotland are travelling down to London on Friday 7th March for the week-end, and we will be looking for good places to dance / party on the Friday night (maybe?) and on the Saturday night (definitely!)...

We are open to any suggestions / recommendations for central London!

Thanks,

Franck.

DavidB
25th-February-2003, 06:22 PM
On Friday night the best bet is probably Casbah. Just bring plenty of spare t-shirts!

I'm guessing you are probably coming down for some Ceroc teacher training. If not there is a series of 3 workshops by Robert Cordoba on Saturday afternoon in North Kensington. I can give you the details at Blackpool if you are interested. (Robert will also be going to Blackpool this weekend.)

Saturday night we are going with Robert to the JiveBug dance in Fleet. But if you are relying on public transport, Hammersmith or Chiswick might be easier.

For a full list of what is on, look at Lynda's List (http://www.lyndaslist.com/)

David

Franck
25th-February-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by DavidB
On Friday night the best bet is probably Casbah. Just bring plenty of spare t-shirts!

I'm guessing you are probably coming down for some Ceroc teacher training. If not there is a series of 3 workshops by Robert Cordoba on Saturday afternoon in North Kensington. I can give you the details at Blackpool if you are interested. (Robert will also be going to Blackpool this weekend.)

Saturday night we are going with Robert to the JiveBug dance in Fleet. Thanks for that, and the Jivebug dance with Robert Cordoba sounds really tempting...
How far is fleet?

We are doing an Advanced refresher course over the week-end, just making sure we are up to date with all the moves :D So won't be able to do the workshop...

Casbah is probably best if we decide to go dancing on the Friday night... unsure at the moment.

I won't be in Blackpool unfortunately :sad: so will miss out on all the fun, though I am counting on all of you to give me the full details afterwards in here!

I'll print out Lynda's list.

Franck.

TheTramp
26th-February-2003, 01:08 AM
Hiya

Fleet will definitely be a good night on the Saturday. And if I have my poorly car back by then (which I should do), I'll be more than happy to give you all a lift down to Fleet and back (provided there's no more than 4 of you). It'll take about an hour to get down to Fleet, depending on where you're staying in London....

I think I owe a few people in Scotland some favours :D

Steve

Will
26th-February-2003, 02:14 AM
Franck

On the Friday night there is also a Ceroc night on at St Mary's near Baker Street Tube. It is a bigger and cooler venue, but Casbah is a higher standard.

Hope to bump into you at some point. Have a great time whatever you do.

Will

TheTramp
3rd-March-2003, 05:39 PM
So, did you decide what you're going to do yet??

Steve

LilyB
5th-March-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Will
Franck

On the Friday night there is also a Ceroc night on at St Mary's near Baker Street Tube. It is a bigger and cooler venue, but Casbah is a higher standard.

Hope to bump into you at some point. Have a great time whatever you do.

Will
Will

We're all going to the Casbah on Friday - me, James, David, Robert Cordoba, Lynda Gocher, the Tramp etc... You'll just have to come too. And do bring Stevie Wonger with you - there's a certain young lady I'd like him to meet there :wink:

Hopefully Franck & Co will join us too. It should be a good night - a chance to relax after the stresses of last Saturday!:sick:

LilyB

TheTramp
5th-March-2003, 03:02 PM
We're all going to the Casbah on Friday - me, James, David, Robert Cordoba, Lynda Gocher, the Tramp etcWe are?? Just when did my banning at Casbah get lifted then?

I just had a PM from Franck (who will no doubt see these posts soon) to say that he's planning on going to St. Marys on Friday night....

Steve

Will
5th-March-2003, 03:11 PM
Lily,

I'll go with the flow, but I would recommend St Mary's as there is so much more room there, and with your possé, good dancers should not be too hard to come by.

Personally I think we should all go to St Mary's and see if we can get the Tramp banned from there as well :wink:

Let me know what is going on guys as Stevie Wong is coming down from Birmingham this Friday to hang-out :waycool:

Emma
5th-March-2003, 03:17 PM
St Mary's has a very nice pub in it's favour too. :waycool:

TheTramp
5th-March-2003, 03:36 PM
Personally I think we should all go to St Mary's and see if we can get the Tramp banned from there as well Sounds like a plan to me :D

Steve

Franck
5th-March-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by LilyB
Hopefully Franck & Co will join us too. It should be a good night - a chance to relax after the stresses of last Saturday!:sick: Thanks for that Lily (and congratulations on your victory in Blackpool :waycool: )

As the Tramp says, we were all set to go to St Mary's, mostly because it would be less crowded, but I / we are still open minded about it, though I am sure wherever we all end up, will obviously be the place to be :D

I don't think we'll be going to Fleet on the Saturday, we'll probably pick a smaller club closer to home :wink:

Franck.

Will
5th-March-2003, 03:41 PM
Does anyone know if Hammersmith is on this Saturday???

TheTramp
5th-March-2003, 03:46 PM
The only ceroc-like dance on this Saturday in London is at Chiswick town hall, run by Chris Vessey in conjuction with LSDS - jive in one room, lindy in the other.

I've not been there for many moons, so I don't know what it's like these days. Anyone else been there recently?

Steve

Will
5th-March-2003, 04:09 PM
Yeah,

Stevie Wong mentioned this to me too. He was thinking of going. The last time I went along to one of those events there was about 6 people though.

I might well end up doing Fleet if they have Ceroc/Modern Jive there.

Strange that there is no Hammersmith when there is a CTA update going on though!?

TheTramp
5th-March-2003, 04:12 PM
That's why I haven't been for some time Will.

Though, if Franck, Lisa, Lorna, Mairi and Kathy go, along with your good self, Stevie and me, we could probably have a good night.

Steve

Divissima
5th-March-2003, 04:16 PM
St Mary's sounds like the place to be on Friday. Toby and I are also planning on it.

And who would miss out on the Great Stevie Wong?

Franck
5th-March-2003, 04:18 PM
Strange that there is no Hammersmith when there is a CTA update going on though!? Not a CTA update, this is just an Advanced training course. I am taking all my teachers for a revision / refresher course, so that we keep on top of all the Ceroc moves. (*)

Franck.

(*) Well at least, that's my excuse for a week-end of partying with 4 gorgeous Scottish teachers :D :wink:

DavidB
5th-March-2003, 04:36 PM
We would go to St Mary's if the freestyle were a bit longer. I know in just about every other respect that St Mary's is a nicer place, but the freestyle is only 9:30 - 10:30.

It is Robert's one chance to go out and dance without the pressure of teaching, and the freestyle at Casbah is about twice as long.

(Sorry Steve - I know this doesn't help you.)

David

Will
5th-March-2003, 04:42 PM
I think St Mary's is definately winning out here.

Lily - How about bringing your crew along to St Mary's on Friday? I'm sure Mr Cordoba would appreciate the superior dance floor. :wink:

Franck
5th-March-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by DavidB
We would go to St Mary's if the freestyle were a bit longer. I know in just about every other respect that St Mary's is a nicer place, but the freestyle is only 9:30 - 10:30. Does St Mary's really close at 10.30? on a Friday night...
That might tip the balance back in favour of the Casbah for us, as Lorna and Lisa probably won't make it to London until 10.30pm on the Friday night...

Franck.

LilyB
5th-March-2003, 05:25 PM
I think St Mary's is definately winning out here.

Lily - How about bringing your crew along to St Mary's on Friday? I'm sure Mr Cordoba would appreciate the superior dance floor. :wink:
As David said, we would have liked to go to St Mary's (James & I had a ball there the last time) but the freestyle there is only for an hour. At Casbah, it is normally from 9:15 to 11pm, if I'm not mistaken. An extra 45 minutes does make a difference when you're having fun. Marilene White from JiveBug usually goes to the Casbah - and of course Linda Barker & Mike Allard will be there too - more good reasons for going.

So come on Wills, Franck, Stevie et al - let's make it the Casbah this Friday, pretty please? :D :D

Then on to Fleet for Saturday night, with the added attraction of a class with Robert Cordoba.

LilyB

Will
5th-March-2003, 05:25 PM
These are fair points. I'm easy going. Toby - Claire, fancy Casbah then?

Now all we need to do is Smuggle the Tramp in in a disguise!
:waycool:

Franck
5th-March-2003, 05:29 PM
These are fair points. I'm easy going. Toby - Claire, fancy Casbah then? We could always do both :D

St Mary's from 7.30pm 'til 10.00pm followed by the Casbah! :D :D Are the 2 venues far from each other?

So, whatever happens, everyone meets at the Casbah on Friday night, at least after 10.30pm

Franck.

Will
5th-March-2003, 05:54 PM
U r probably looking at a 15 / 20 minute drive from St Mary's to Casbah.

Emma
5th-March-2003, 07:08 PM

Maybe he could wear that pink wig...that ought to make him sufficiently unobtrusive......:nice:

Ste
5th-March-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Franck
We could always do both :D

St Mary's from 7.30pm 'til 10.00pm followed by the Casbah! :D :D Are the 2 venues far from each other?

So, whatever happens, everyone meets at the Casbah on Friday night, at least after 10.30pm Hi Steve Wong here

Yeah I reckon that is a great idea Franck.

I started out dancing at what became St Mary's and then did mostly Casbah for a while and now I am at St Mary's when I am in London usully.

St Mary's has a very very new floor. In my opinion it is the best dance floor in London. I really dislike the Casbah floor...too old and uneven and I did mention something to Mike some time ago. Casbah is usually very crowded....! I do like it but at the moment I have been going to St Marys.....drinks are cheaper as well.

St Marys has a lot of floor space and it is nowhere near as hot as Casbah. The standard of dancing is lower at St Marys but if we all decide to go there then we can dance with each other. St Marys is a very friendly club and not very cliquey although I guess I am a bit standoffish at times!

If you go to St Marys you could also meet the lovely Cliff and Penny our teachers.

Does anyone know anyone in Birmingham who is seriously wanting to compete in Advanced in May? I am trying to find a dance partner although it is possible that this will be sorted soon.

Steve ( Scouse Mouse....I am extremely short )

Divissima
5th-March-2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Ste
Hi Steve Wong here

St Mary's has a very very new floor. In my opinion it is the best dance floor in London. I really dislike the Casbah floor... Casbah is usually very crowded....! I do like it but at the moment I have been going to St Marys.....drinks are cheaper as well.

St Marys has a lot of floor space and it is nowhere near as hot as Casbah. The standard of dancing is lower at St Marys but if we all decide to go there then we can dance with each other. I have to say I agree with Stevie Wong (all kneel). St Mary's beats Casbah for floor, space and friendliness.

Would be awesome to get some of the top dancers in as well!

TheTramp
6th-March-2003, 02:49 AM
Well, I'm definitely up for coming to St. Marys.

Especially given that I have no choice in the matter :rolleyes:

Steve

Will
6th-March-2003, 01:34 PM
:waycool:

http://www.symynet.com/online_gift_shop/artwork/funny_monkey_pictures_1.jpg

DavidB
6th-March-2003, 01:49 PM
funny_monkey_pictures_1.jpg Sorry - it wouldn't work. Anyone could tell that was still Steve...

TheTramp
6th-March-2003, 01:55 PM
Now, how did I know that someone was going to say something like that!!

You're becoming so predictable David!!

Of course, I guess I could contact Mike/Linda and tell them that I'm no longer banned by ceroc London, and see what they say to that....

But I am very shy..... :sorry

Steve

Will
7th-March-2003, 12:49 PM
Right,

After numerous PM's, it seems that the plan is to go to St Mary's and leave at about 10pm to get to Casbah for 10.15pm. At least 2 of us have cars so we will be able to get everyone across.

In the meantime, the Tramp is drafting a grovelling letter to Mike & Linda begging them to let him into Casbah tonight.

All this is assuming Lilly's gang don't decide to come to St Mary's after all :wink:

TheTramp
7th-March-2003, 01:10 PM
In the meantime, the Tramp is drafting a grovelling letter to Mike & Linda begging them to let him into Casbah tonight.Ummm.

No he's not.

Sorry.

I don't do grovel.

Will probably come to St. Marys, and just stay there until the end.

Steve

Ste
7th-March-2003, 01:57 PM
What say you Lilly...dance hero?

DavidB
7th-March-2003, 02:41 PM
We have already arranged to meet several other people at Casbah at 9:00...

Dreadful Scathe
7th-March-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
Ummm.

No he's not.

Sorry.

I don't do grovel.

I was going to comment on this myself. Grovelling is not something you look like you could do :)...espcecially in this situation!

Will
7th-March-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
I was going to comment on this myself. Grovelling is not something you look like you could do

Don't you believe it! You should have seen the showcase he did at Bristol last year!!! :grin:

TheTramp
7th-March-2003, 03:04 PM
That wasn't grovelling....

That was ass-kissing. Something totally different :D

Steve

Will
7th-March-2003, 03:08 PM
And very funny it was too.

Nice touch!

Franck
10th-March-2003, 11:17 AM
After numerous PM's, it seems that the plan is to go to St Mary's and leave at about 10pm to get to Casbah for 10.15pm. At least 2 of us have cars so we will be able to get everyone across.What can I say! :D
What a week-end that was... :nice:

St Mary's and the Casbah on the Friday were great, and the perfect warm-up for what turned out a fantastic week-end!
Thanks Will for recommending St Mary's, it is a fabulous venue (what a floor) and the music was top notch (thanks Tash). Met a few more Forum members: Emma, Claire, Divissima, Ste, etc... before moving on to the Casbah for another 20 minutes of dancing...

Big thanks to the Tramp and Will for chauffeuring us round London :wink: The week-end would not have happened without it!

Finally, I would like to thank the Tramp, DavidB, Will and everyone else for convincing us to go to Fleet on the Saturday night, one of the best dancing night I have ever been to (outside of Scotland that is :wink: ). Robert Cordoba made West Coast Swing look and feel easy, and with LilyB on stage completely blew us away :waycool:

All in all, I felt both incredibly inspired and totally humbled by everyone there. Too many amazing dances to mention, and all the girls were stunning :wink:

Franck.

Dreadful Scathe
10th-March-2003, 11:31 AM
What can I say! :D
What a week-end that was... wheres the photos ? :)

LilyB
10th-March-2003, 11:46 AM
What can I say! :D
What a week-end that was... :nice:

St Mary's and the Casbah on the Friday were great, and the perfect warm-up for what turned out a fantastic week-end!

Franck.
Does this mean we'll see you more often down south?:D

I might even get more than one dance next time!:wink:

LilyB

Franck
10th-March-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by LilyB
Does this mean we'll see you more often down south?:D

I might even get more than one dance next time!:wink: Probably... I am already planning another couple of trips besides the Ceroc Champs in May, so I will be back :wink:
As for dances, after Saturday's one and only dance, I hereby give you the keys / freedom of my dance card :D It's all yours... for the 3 minutes we danced, you made me feel like I was the best dancer in the room (no mean feat, considering the standard that night :wink: ).

Franck.

Will
10th-March-2003, 11:56 AM
Monsieur Franck,

You're more than welcome, I had a fantastic weekend. You guys really know how to party. I hope the Tramp didn't keep you up too late :wink:

So how awake were you during Sunday's Update then???

Take care and see you soon,

Will

Franck
10th-March-2003, 12:11 PM
You're more than welcome, I had a fantastic weekend. You guys really know how to party. I hope the Tramp didn't keep you up too late :wink:

So how awake were you during Sunday's Update then??? :D We were up for a good party, and I managed to get to bed at about 4.30am on the Saturday night, did not manage to finish the magnum of Champagne though as the Tramp was on soft drinks only...

The training course on the Sunday was proof that all of us have stamina aplenty (with the help of Red bull and Champagne :cheers: ), as despite sleeping very little, we managed to work our way through all the moves and had a good laugh in the process :nice: Donna and Debbie definitely know how to party too :wink:

Can't wait for the Champs :devil:

Franck.

Divissima
10th-March-2003, 01:46 PM
Thanks Will for recommending St Mary's, it is a fabulous venue (what a floor) and the music was top notch (thanks Tash). Met a few more Forum members

Franck. It was a pleasure to meet you - and have a dance. Looking forward to the next time (when I shall insist on two!!).
Glad to hear the rest of the weekend went so well - :waycool:

Franck
10th-March-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Divissima
It was a pleasure to meet you - and have a dance. Looking forward to the next time (when I shall insist on two!!). Likewise :nice: and please do insist on 2 :D or 3 / 4 :wink:
Hopefully, we'll be able to repay your hospitality up in Scotland soon... :cheers:

Franck.

TheTramp
10th-March-2003, 04:09 PM
Whee....

What a weekend it was.

I even had a night off to recover last night. And am thinking that I need another one tonight. So it must have been good :D

I'm glad that you enjoyed Fleet. Especially after all the work I had to put in to persuade you to go. Maybe you'll believe me next time :wink:

Look forward to seeing you all for the champs in May next....

Steve

Emma
10th-March-2003, 05:52 PM
Could you just all stop mentioning Fleet, and champagne too...I so missed out on that :what: :wink: :grin:

Friday night was a blast though...who was it that drove us to the Casbah? Thanks!! :grin: I've never done a dance-venue crawl before - when's the next one?! :wink:

Divissima
10th-March-2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Emma
Friday night was a blast though...who was it that drove us to the Casbah? Thanks!! :

It was the stylish, the handsome, the wriggling and rhythmic, the superlatively sparkling Toby wan Kenobe (TwK to his friends).

He doesn't venture onto the forum very often, being the shy type :sorry
but I shall pass it on...

Emma
10th-March-2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Divissima
It was the stylish, the handsome, the wriggling and rhythmic, the superlatively sparkling Toby wan Kenobe (TwK to his friends).

Anyone would think you had a soft spot for him! :wink: :grin:

Divissima
10th-March-2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Emma
Anyone would think you had a soft spot for him! :wink: :grin:

:drool:

Lorna
10th-March-2003, 07:37 PM
Hiya,

just to say I had a blast on Friday and Saturday night. Wow!! such a choice of men. :yum:

thank you to Will and Steve for driving us here, there and everywhere.

I was finally able to put a few faces to names and I had dances with some of the top names down there, thank you all.

But the pick of the men for me has to be Will. Fab dances, thank you. (and he has a great voice.) By the way did you find out the end of that sentence.... '' she was soooooo...'' ? courtesy of Mr Stevie Wong.

I can see why Lilly was given the title. What a beautiful dancer!

Look forward to seeing you all again,

Lotsa love Lorna x-x

Lorna
10th-March-2003, 07:39 PM
Sorry Lily!!! :wink:

Lorna

Will
11th-March-2003, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by Lorna
But the pick of the men for me has to be Will. Fab dances, thank you. (and he has a great voice.)And the check is in the post.
By the way did you find out the end of that sentence.... '' she was soooooo...'' ? courtesy of Mr Stevie Wong. Apparently, the missing word was "Amazing". (He was rather impressed with her dancing.)