PDA

View Full Version : Gasp! Choke!

Barry Shnikov
11th-February-2006, 11:28 AM
My local (Southampton) MJ outfit are putting on a 'swing' event (http://www.mojive.co.uk/)... (click on 'Events')

Suddenly I get that dream-like feeling that if I don't hang on to my desk I'll float through the window and off into space...

...it'll be OK as long as I'm back to earth by 11th March!!

Can I encourage any Forumites to venture down in this direction? I could in fact put up a couple of people for an overnight stay, or a couple and one other person...I won't do the workshop but I'll be there for the freestyle

Tiggerbabe
11th-February-2006, 11:44 AM
Think that's the same date as the Masked Ball, Barry :eek:
Hope you have a great night :)

Barry Shnikov
11th-February-2006, 12:12 PM
Think that's the same date as the Masked Ball, Barry :eek:
Hope you have a great night :)

Same to you!

TA Guy
14th-February-2006, 03:17 PM
It's a shame that this 'swing meets jive' freestyle after the workshop is not at the Southampton Guildhall like the Latin one later in the year. I don't know how many will turn up, but if it's like the xmas do, all those swingers would have been impressive :)

spindr
15th-February-2006, 02:37 AM
It's a shame that this 'swing meets jive' freestyle after the workshop is not at the Southampton Guildhall like the Latin one later in the year. I don't know how many will turn up, but if it's like the xmas do, all those swingers would have been impressive :)
If you are looking for Swing classes then you could always wander along to the Lindy classes from www.jiveriot.com at Romsey on a Thursday -- or www.tracieslatinclub.co.uk run swing courses in Southampton -- or even have a look at the Lindy Solent page http://www.soton.ac.uk/~bam2/lindyhopsolent/

Cheers
SpinDr

P.S. Didn't mo'jive and LSDS used to run Jive meets Swing at the Pirelli social club in Eastleigh some time back -- before it was demolished (obviously).

TA Guy
15th-February-2006, 08:50 PM
If you are looking for Swing classes then you could always wander along to the Lindy classes from www.jiveriot.com at Romsey on a Thursday -- or www.tracieslatinclub.co.uk run swing courses in Southampton -- or even have a look at the Lindy Solent page http://www.soton.ac.uk/~bam2/lindyhopsolent/

Cheers
SpinDr

P.S. Didn't mo'jive and LSDS used to run Jive meets Swing at the Pirelli social club in Eastleigh some time back -- before it was demolished (obviously).

Ah, I can see why you might come to that conclusion, but no, I am not looking for swing classes or swing nights. The Lindy style of swing is not my bag :) Thanks anyway.
In this instance, I'm interested because, almost certainly, the freestyle portion of this will be dominated by MJ'ers. It would have been nice to be at the SGH as it's a great venue and always attracts a large number of dancers from far and wide. Mojive are (apparently) doing a charity marathon there later in the year, that should be an awesome event.

Yes, LSDS has done quite a lot of 'jive meets swing' events for Mojive in the past, even had a weekly class going at one time at Pirelli/Minstead as you mention. I went to one and can honestly say that particular nights class seemed to be 95% MJ and 5% swing. Back then, it kind of petered out. The weekly nights were prolly not helped by the fact that they were charging almost double the rate of a normal MJ night :)

Pirelli is still there, all boarded up and filled with the ghosts of dancers past :). Just parts of the factory have been demolished so far.