PDA

View Full Version : Unwanted furry visitors

DavidY
11th-February-2006, 10:38 AM
3 I have rats in my loft. Had them on and off since i moved in 8 years ago :sick: I noticed some distinct scurrying sounds coming from my loft last night.:tears: :sick: :eek:

I've had mice before, but if this was mice, they must've been wearing hob-nail boots.

I didn't dare go up and look, in case something came down into the house (the noise was actually coming from the hatch that goes into the loft). :sick:

Any tips on who to call/how to get rid of them? :flower:

Stuart
11th-February-2006, 11:13 AM
Try any DIY store. You can usually find a variety of traps there. Alternatively try your local Environmental Health department. They should be able to give you some advice.

dee
11th-February-2006, 11:20 AM
You poor thing, it's nightmare! i have to have Rent-a-Kill out every year they are even under the bath at night which is really awful :sick: I was told they come from the sewers and climb up my pipes, i was also told to keep the loo seat down as they usually go for the light. I had some pipes repaired which meant them coming out and digging up my path in the back garden. It did do the trick for two years but this year they have moved back. It costs £25 to have them out but after a few days they are usually gone til the next year. :tears: i had them out last month but a new lot have moved back in. I did go up in the loft and there is still poison up there so lets hope it's not too long they stay.

I hope you get yours sorted out as i know how noisy it can be at night :flower:

Lynn
11th-February-2006, 01:42 PM
I didn't dare go up and look, in case something came down into the house (the noise was actually coming from the hatch that goes into the loft). :sick: I had this too a few years ago - but it was only a little field mouse coming through the loft from a neighbouring house, and came down a heating pipe into the bedroom where it found a dog biscuit under the bed. A little mouse can make a lot of noise with a dog biscuit on a wooden floor! It was quite funny as I did the whole screaming and standing on the bed as it scurried across the floor to escape back to the attic but at the same time was rather amused at myself being such a 'girl'! Screaming at a little mouse! :rolleyes:

I screamed a bit louder though a few days later when I woke up to a noise and saw my little visitor scamper past my pillow and under the duvet! :really: :really: :tears: :rofl:

(After that I blocked the access to the main house and he didn't seem interested in visiting my loft again, I presume the neigbours sorted the problem out.)

But rats - yeuch - hope you get them sorted out and get rid of them David and Dee. :hug:

Winnie
11th-February-2006, 01:49 PM
D. Sankey Pest control are very good.

Zebra Woman
11th-February-2006, 01:52 PM
I have had them in my garage nesting in amongst my sailing kit, luckily they used it as a food store not a toilet, but still very creepy. :eek:

Peanut butter inside a humane trap that shuts them inside is good IMO. You need to keep checking it every couple of days, otherwise they starve to death (unless you want them to starve to death :really: ).

When you have caught one you can drive it miles away and set it free.

TOP TIP - Always assume there is a group, I have had a family of three twice in the last 4 years. Need to stop typing now, it's making me feel sick remembering it.:sick:

Good Luck David

ZW

Lynn
11th-February-2006, 01:55 PM
Peanut butter inside a humane trap that shuts them inside is good IMO. You need to keep checking it every couple of days, otherwise they starve to death (unless you want them to starve to death :really: ).I tried this for my mouse (tried peanut butter and chocolate - it wasn't interested) - not sure about this for rats though? I wouldn't mind catching and releasing a little field mouse but I think I would get professionals in to deal with rats.

thewacko
11th-February-2006, 02:16 PM
I noticed some distinct scurrying sounds coming from my loft last night.:tears: :sick: :eek:

I've had mice before, but if this was mice, they must've been wearing hob-nail boots.

I didn't dare go up and look, in case something came down into the house (the noise was actually coming from the hatch that goes into the loft). :sick:

I suggest you get WittyBird, Dee and MissyD round they seem quite good with furry animals - judging by the "Hamster" Thread

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

thewacko
11th-February-2006, 02:19 PM
Suggest you set a razor blade into a peice of wood, with a piece of cheese next to it.

the next day the cheese will have gone so place another peice of cheese next to it
the next day the cheese will have gone so place another peice of cheese next to it
the next day do not place any cheese there!!!!!!!!!
The rats will then cut their own throats looking for the cheese:rofl:

WittyBird
11th-February-2006, 02:43 PM
I suggest you get WittyBird, Dee and MissyD round they seem quite good with furry animals - judging by the "Hamster" Thread

Absolutely :rofl:

Magic Hans
11th-February-2006, 03:52 PM
How well do the sonic deterrants work?

It's an idea .... suppose to work for moles and rodents and, unless someone was having me on .... even ants!!!!!

Check it out maybe??

DavidY
11th-February-2006, 04:16 PM
How well do the sonic deterrants work? *searches ebay for a copy of Call on Me*

SilverFox
11th-February-2006, 04:20 PM
Use the heavy duty sticky pads designed for rats. The little f**kers get so desperate to escape from them that they eat or yank their own legs off.

You can't pay for entertainment like that, not even on Sky.....

:blush:

LMC
11th-February-2006, 05:25 PM
Get a cat?

Cruella
11th-February-2006, 05:25 PM
Use the heavy duty sticky pads designed for rats. The little f**kers get so desperate to escape from them that they eat or yank their own legs off.

:eek: That's evil :sick:

Daisy Chain
11th-February-2006, 05:30 PM

Cat Woman?

Daisy

(A Helpful Little Flower)

Daisy Chain
11th-February-2006, 05:36 PM
II've had mice before, but if this was mice, they must've been wearing hob-nail boots.

You Big Wuss. It would be far more scarey if you had crabs.

Daisy

(A Non-Verminous Little Flower)

DianaS
11th-February-2006, 05:38 PM
Hello David,
Phone the environmental health people and if you can bring your self to do it cry
I had mice when I had Jason, and I phoned them and cried. They sent some one out in an hour. I was so worried about Jason and mice I wouldn't let them set traps incase Jason found them, and and was equally worried about poisons...
And what would happen to their dead bodies...
and

...The man made me a cup of tea...
Played with Jason
put poison underneath very large heavy furniture and explained that the bodies would mummify and go into dust and not smell or go goooeey

I cried again
Cas I didn't want to kill them just for them to go away

I think I must have been impossible, so they will be very pleased to hear from you

WittyBird
11th-February-2006, 05:44 PM
You Big Wuss. It would be far more scarey if you had crabs.
Fantastic :rofl: :worthy:

thewacko
11th-February-2006, 07:11 PM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Brilliant

:cool: on a serious note do you realise it could be birds and not rats - its amazing the noise they can make:cool:

DavidY
11th-February-2006, 07:53 PM
:cool: on a serious note do you realise it could be birds and not rats - its amazing the noise they can make:cool:Yes thanks for that. I've had birds up there before, but it sounds different this time.

The clincher for me is that I have a wire to an FM aerial going into the loft, and I noticed today that the reception on that has almost completely disappeared, so whatever it is seems to have chewed through my aerial cable. :eek: :tears:

foxylady
12th-February-2006, 01:39 AM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Brilliant

:cool: on a serious note do you realise it could be birds and not rats - its amazing the noise they can make:cool:

Also squirrels make an awful lot of noise too !!! And they are easier to get rid off, just block up the hole they are getting in through whilst they are out (ie during the day)..

Barry Shnikov
12th-February-2006, 10:15 AM
*searches ebay for a copy of Call on Me*

That will just deter MJ dancers. It will of course attract DJs and mice.