PDA

View Full Version : West coast...what did you say?

Barry Shnikov
10th-February-2006, 11:25 PM
Um.

Looks like my holiday is going to be a week in LA.

Anybody have any tips? (Will be avoiding: Disneyworld, Universal Studios, all 'family' tourist traps.)

Anybody ever danced there???

Minnie M
10th-February-2006, 11:46 PM
Um.

Anybody have any tips? (Will be avoiding: Disneyworld, Universal Studios, all 'family' tourist traps.)

The home of many WCS gurus such as Robert Cordoba :worthy: I have a link on my web page to dancing in LA http://www.letsdancela.com/

Dance Demon
11th-February-2006, 12:21 AM
Um.

Was in LA couple of year ago. Stayed in Long Beach on the Queen Mary. Long Beach was OK, and Venice Beach was good too, but on the whole I found LA to be just too big, and getting anywhere takes absolutely ages..

Barry Shnikov
11th-February-2006, 09:51 AM
on the whole I found LA to be just too big, and getting anywhere takes absolutely ages..

Yeah, I was worried about that. I figure the trick must be to stay in LA, and travel out in the morning and back in the evening.

Did you have a car?

Barry Shnikov
13th-February-2006, 04:57 PM
Have booked the flight. Depart Heathrow Thursday morning; travelling on one of the new Airbus thingies - 320?

Any other ideas about dancing, anyone?

I don't do west coast swing, have never had lessons. How will I get on at a venue if I'm just going to dance?

Tiggerbabe
13th-February-2006, 05:07 PM
I don't do west coast swing, have never had lessons. How will I get on at a venue if I'm just going to dance?
As I've never been to any WCS venue in LA I'm just guessing that you might find the music a little on the slow side, mostly.
Might be worth trying a couple of WCS classes before you go, so that you can do a little. I'm sure they're very kind to beginners :)

Barry Shnikov
14th-February-2006, 12:27 AM
As I've never been to any WCS venue in LA I'm just guessing that you might find the music a little on the slow side, mostly.
Might be worth trying a couple of WCS classes before you go, so that you can do a little. I'm sure they're very kind to beginners :)

Had I but world enough, and time...

I don't mind slow music, it's ma thang, babeh!

Tiggerbabe
14th-February-2006, 06:22 AM
Had I but world enough, and time...
Ah, yes, that old chestnut. :rofl:
Try this (http://www.afterfive.co.uk/guide/latest/html/sugar_push.html) :wink: they might never notice you're a modern-jiver :eek:

I don't mind slow music, it's ma thang, babeh!
Then you'll be absolutely fine - enjoy!

Dave Hancock
14th-February-2006, 08:42 AM
If you are in on time on the Thursday I'd thoroughly recommend the Hassienna (not sure if this is the correct spelling), 3 floors and some fabby dancers (including a few of the professional scene) the night we were there. It was typical fair across there and a fairly wide variety of music, which encouraged mainly WCS but also both niteclub & country 2 step and there were also a few Hustle songs played.

Well worth the trip if you're there in time as it'll blow your mind.

Dave

Barry Shnikov
14th-February-2006, 10:52 AM
If you are in on time on the Thursday I'd thoroughly recommend the Hassienna (not sure if this is the correct spelling)

Hacienda?

Barry Shnikov
18th-February-2006, 05:34 PM
Logging in from motel 100 yards from Hollywood and Sunset Boulevards, eating complimentary breakfast of coffee and donuts.

Weather is bloody awful - clouds and rain. Though I did chug along Sunset Boulevard yesterday after breakfast with the top down in my hire convertible.

Off to go shopping at the Grove and Farmers Market later.

Dancing one evening next week, I 'spect.

Minnie M
18th-February-2006, 06:26 PM
Logging in from motel 100 yards from Hollywood......
:respect: wow that is what I call forum dedication :respect:

Have a great time Barry - I am quite jealous of you being there :flower:

Barry Shnikov
23rd-February-2006, 12:20 AM
:respect: wow that is what I call forum dedication :respect:

Have a great time Barry - I am quite jealous of you being there :flower:

Weather has improved no end; lots of driving in my hire car with the top down, posing in y mirrored, imitation-Police brand sunglasses. Been down to Santa Monica and Venice Beach, now staying in the Stilwell Hotel and am contemplating spending my last night in the hotel through which Arnold rides a horse in True Lies...

Annoyingly, a lot of places are closed, like Venice Pier (on which Robert Duvall shoots Michael Douglas in Falling Down) and the roundabout on Santa Monica pier (on which Paul Newman is the roustabout in The Sting..