PDA

View Full Version : Dancing is dangerous to my wardrobe - warning: rant ahead

Anna
10th-February-2006, 02:21 PM
I just split my FIFTH pair of pants while dancing and I am VERY VERY VERY angry!!!!!! :mad:

Why don't they make garments better quality?! I pay enough m*****f***ing money for them!!!!!!

And I am sick of adjusting my dancing "in case" something happens ... and then when I have one dance where I don't watch it, my jeans tear. They're expensive jeans, they shouldn't do that. I am unsure of what to do as I don't enjoy wearing skirts as any but mini's make my legs look short and when I wear miniskirts it detracts from my dancing - makes me look like all the other girls there, a piece of meat and not much else.

RAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH FRUSTRATION :angry:

Groovy Dancer
10th-February-2006, 02:29 PM
I just split my FIFTH pair of pants while dancing and I am VERY VERY VERY angry!!!!!! :mad:

Why don't they make garments better quality?! I pay enough m*****f***ing money for them!!!!!!

And I am sick of adjusting my dancing "in case" something happens ... and then when I have one dance where I don't watch it, my jeans tear. They're expensive jeans, they shouldn't do that. I am unsure of what to do as I don't enjoy wearing skirts as any but mini's make my legs look short and when I wear miniskirts it detracts from my dancing - makes me look like all the other girls there, a piece of meat and not much else.

:really:Okay, just calm down and count to 20(10 is not enough:whistle: )

I can't offer much help in terms of ladies apparel, but trust me stressing ain't going to help. :flower:

marty_baby
10th-February-2006, 02:38 PM
....um.... groovy,

Telling a distressed lady to "calm down"..... does not help the situation at all! I'm not too experienced in this area - but even I can see that! :what: :wink:

Anna,

What kinda moves are you doing that splits "Jeans"?!?! wow... :worthy: work that out - and avoid doing those moves in your fav pants! :nice:

Martin
:hug:

Donna
10th-February-2006, 02:41 PM

You should save your lovely expensive jeans for going out to a non dance night and always wear nice but most importantly, comfortable clothes when on the dancefloor.

If you have to keep adjusting your style for the sake of not ruining a pair of trousers or because you are self conscious in a short skirt, then that ain't good especially if (I'm sure you do) take your dancing seriously. You need to be able to move in ways which are natural to you in order for you to become used to it so that you may no longer need to think much about it and so are able to move onto doing something different more challenging each time.

Wearing clothes that are too tight or clothes that are so expensive that you're afraid they might get ruined, will only result in making your night a misery and will put you way behind with your dancing.

If you feel self conscious wearing a particular item for dancing, put it away and keep it for something else instead. If it helps, wear something that is not just comfortable, but something which highlights your best features. Hope this helps.:flower:

LMC
10th-February-2006, 02:44 PM
rant
Buy looser jeans for dancing. Or wear joggers - they stretch, and you must have an outlet somewhere where you can get designer sports/jogging trousers cheap.

Yliander
10th-February-2006, 02:44 PM
They're expensive jeans, they shouldn't do that. I am unsure of what to do as I don't enjoy wearing skirts I would suggest - wearing pants that aren't jeans. Jeans even stretch ones don't tend to have much give in them which makes them prone to tearing.

personally I never wear jeans to dance - always feels wrong and they never stretch enough, I buy pants - generally black :blush: - that are made of stretch fabric, they have a lot of give, are easy to wash and best of all - have never split a pair *knocks on wood*

Andreas
10th-February-2006, 02:48 PM
... and then when I have one dance where I don't watch it, my jeans tear.
:rofl: :rofl: Yeah, did that too in the past. But then I learnt that there are different pants available that one does not get that hot in and that also don't disintegrate on my. :whistle: :D :kiss:

TiggsTours
10th-February-2006, 02:48 PM
I'd suggest cheaper jeans! I nearly always dance in jeans, they're always tight, they've never cost me more than £25 , and they've never ripped!

Feelingpink
10th-February-2006, 02:55 PM
Hey, cheaper jeans if you can find some that are the right shape for you (& so you don't mind so much when they rip) and wear fabulous underwear in case they do (& a spare pair?)

Donna
10th-February-2006, 02:56 PM
personally I never wear jeans to dance - always feels wrong and they never stretch enough, I buy pants - generally black :blush: - that are made of stretch fabric, they have a lot of give, are easy to wash and best of all - have never split a pair *knocks on wood*[/QUOTE]

I've only got two pairs of jeans which are tight, but because the material is thin yet strong, I'm able to move freely in them..that is crouching down to the floor and doing ariels. They feel just as comfortable as wearing black stretchy trousers. I don't feel them at all.

Lynn
10th-February-2006, 03:03 PM
I find jeans a bit too hot to dance in anyway, though I have some stretchy pairs that I wear sometimes. I mostly wear black stretchy fabric trousers that are light and comfortable and cheap. In one pair I have now worn a hole in the knee but with constant wearing and washing that's not surprising!

The best test is probably to try moving in different positions and see if the fabric stretches a lot in any particular area (or do the jeans always split in the same area?) - if so, perhaps buy a size bigger for dancing than for regular wear, to allow for that extra stretch factor without putting too much pressure on the fabric and seams.

Donna
10th-February-2006, 03:17 PM
In one pair I have now worn a hole in the knee but with constant wearing and washing that's not surprising!

Hey that's fashionable!:nice:

Lynn
10th-February-2006, 03:26 PM
Hey that's fashionable!:nice:Oh good. I'll keep wearing them then.

Ghost
11th-February-2006, 03:03 AM
The best test is probably to try moving in different positions and see if the fabric stretches a lot in any particular area (or do the jeans always split in the same area?)
Along these lines, slowly try out the dance moves in the jeans in the changing room in front of a mirror. You obviously don't want to rip the things, but see if you can go to full extension slowly without problems and then gradually go faster before you buy them. I've been doing a variation of this for years. My brother rants that cost doesn't necessarily equal quality for clothing. Try different stores, brands etc. A while back someone came up with martial arts jeans - designed so you could do the splits, high kicks etc. Don't know if they have them in New Zealand though. I can do the splits in all my jeans (FCUK) without problems.

Good luck :flower:
Christopher

Minnie M
11th-February-2006, 04:44 PM
....... I can do the splits in all my jeans (FCUK) without problems.

Good luck :flower:
Christopher
:worthy: and I thought Viktor was the only male dancer that can do the splits :worthy:

ElaineB
11th-February-2006, 09:38 PM
:worthy: and I thought Viktor was the only male dancer that can do the splits :worthy:

Nope, my Simon does them also! :D And sometimes, I keep him down there! :wink:

Elaine

Georgious dancer
12th-February-2006, 03:09 PM
I do sometimes dance in jeans, and have been known to wear a skirt or two, but I am most often found in my trusty combats!

Combats for me are just the best combination, they are a little smarter than joggers (which I personally would never where outside the house or the gym) but at the same time are really comfortable, not too tight and not too hot.

I don't know about NZ but I know that over here there are loads of different combats in the shops, from plain one to those with embroidery and beads etc on them, which means you can always find something to suit your style!

Little miss jiver
24th-February-2006, 12:05 PM
Jeans are not great for dancing as they can restrict movement and they are very hot! Ballroom dancers wouldn't dream of practising in jeans! The best clothes are those that move with you and even enhance the body movements. I get dance joggers from M&S which are great, but I also have skirts, anything with lycra in is probably a winner as it should stretch with you, and not split!

Lynn
24th-February-2006, 01:45 PM
Jeans are not great for dancing as they can restrict movement and they are very hot! :yeah: I've been going to Tango classes in my (very stretchy) jeans - mainly because the room is so cold! I would rarely wear them to dance MJ in though.