PDA

View Full Version : West Coast this Sunday (Feb 12)

Feelingpink
10th-February-2006, 11:29 AM
If you're bemoaning the lack of FunkyLush this Sunday, there's an alternative freestyle in Dartford between 3.30pm and 6pm.

Steve Neeren is an American champion west coast swing dancer and instructor, teaching two workshops between 1pm and 3.15, then DJing the freestyle with a mix of blues, contemporary and R&B.

PS Steve has recently had his 12" upgraded to take all his slinky tunes, which would suit jivers or west coasters. Um, and that's a Mac we're talking about here ... not anything else :devil:

bobgadjet
10th-February-2006, 11:38 AM
Steve Neeren is an American champion west coast swing dancer and instructor,

Well i only hope he has changed his music to suit MJ also.

If he plays anything like he played at Bognor in 2005, it will clear the dancefloor of MJers, and leave it very clear for WCSers.

Unless he has been to a good number of MJ venues and really listened, he will most likely have NO idea what MJers really want.

His so called "expertise as a DJ" cleared the Rendezvous of all but WCSers.

Mind you, the WCS enthusiasts will have a whale of a time, so good luck to you.

Mary
10th-February-2006, 11:56 AM
I was quite pleased that Funky-Lush this Sunday was cancelled - 'cos it means we can do Cat and Lee's NC2Step workshop and WCS masterclass. I went to the last one and learnt bundles. One of the best workshops I have been to. :worthy: :worthy:

M

Cruella
10th-February-2006, 11:59 AM
I was quite pleased that Funky-Lush this Sunday was cancelled - 'cos it means we can do Cat and Lee's NC2Step workshop and WCS masterclass. I went to the last one and learnt bundles. One of the best workshops I have been to. :worthy: :worthy:

M
Where's this, Mary?

Feelingpink
10th-February-2006, 12:00 PM
Well, Erick all but cleared the floor with one track he played at the opening Ceroc night at Bow, but it was my fave of the evening, so guess it's horses for courses.

Mary
10th-February-2006, 12:04 PM
Where's this, Mary?

At the Putney Club. Ring Cat, she may have some spaces left.

M

Paul F
10th-February-2006, 12:47 PM
If you're bemoaning the lack of FunkyLush this Sunday, there's an alternative freestyle in Dartford between 3.30pm and 6pm.

I had no idea there was a WCS freestyle on this weekend. Been out of the loop for a while.
Does anyone know what the Acacia ballroom is like?

marty_baby
10th-February-2006, 01:12 PM
Hiya Paul,

Yup, been there. (Parents just live up the road from the place infact!)

Good floor
Ok sound system
Separate area for the bar and tables

However:
The dance floor is pretty small - if it is a busy night - dance on carpet, with leather soles? (Ie may be an idea to bring other dance shoes as well without suede soles etc...)

Nice enough people and place tho. Teachers there were friendly.

Martin
:cheers:

Paul F
10th-February-2006, 01:17 PM
Excellent. Thanks for that :cheers:

It might be worth a visit depending on other commitments.

Chef
10th-February-2006, 03:00 PM
I have been doing the beginners WCS course with Cat and Lee over the last five thursdays at the Accacia hall. The workshop and freestyle will be taking place in the main room where the MJ night usually takes place. The dance floor space is about 3 times bigger than Kent House and about 1.5 times the size of the WCS workshop room at Bisley.

I don't think there will much of a problem with crowding given the usual number of people at a WCS event. There should be more than enough parking available on a sunday.

I am hoping that once the beginners course ends some more experienced dancers will want to come along to the classes and a regular dance night will become established to the east side of London. It is really piling the miles on my car what with all of the dance events that I want to go to being on the west side of London. At least having one dance class on the east side will cut down the wear and tear on both car and driver.

Will the class get enough numbers to survive and grow? Time will tell.

Paul F
10th-February-2006, 03:25 PM
Will the class get enough numbers to survive and grow? Time will tell.

I really do hope so.
I would love to get across myself but I have too much on my plate at the moment.
The option of a freestyle is great though. It may not attract hundreds of people but the fact that its a place to practice is fab. Will definately try and get there.

Rhythm King
10th-February-2006, 04:37 PM
Well i only hope he has changed his music to suit MJ also.

If he plays anything like he played at Bognor in 2005, it will clear the dancefloor of MJers, and leave it very clear for WCSers.

Unless he has been to a good number of MJ venues and really listened, he will most likely have NO idea what MJers really want.

His so called "expertise as a DJ" cleared the Rendezvous of all but WCSers.

Mind you, the WCS enthusiasts will have a whale of a time, so good luck to you.
Given that it's a WCS freestyle, it's entirely appropriate that there will be an experienced and very good WCS DJ there. I was at Bognor on that occasion and the WCS people asked Steve to play, coz the MJ DJs had stuff all idea of what to play for us! On the other hand, Steve has said that if there are enough MJ dancers there he will pitch his set accordingly, to match what the dancers want.