PDA

View Full Version : What's his mode of transportation.

Groovy Dancer
10th-February-2006, 09:49 AM
Hey ladies, just a thought:rolleyes:

I was reading something of the Singleton's Sofa,and I was kinda thinking " what are the forum ladies view on the type of car a man drives? Does it make him more attractive? :waycool: Desirable?:yum:

Or does it just does not matter, only that it gets you from point A to B?:D

Your thoughts please any other male input as well.:cheers:

LMC
10th-February-2006, 09:57 AM
Well, if he drives this car (http://www.forbes.com/2001/11/05/1105vow.html), then he'd be extremely desirable, 'cos he'd be loaded.

Avaricious? Me?

Seriously, as long as the car is clean and reasonably maintained and he's a reasonably good driver, then I don't really worry about it. Although I would probably draw the line at a Reliant Robin or an older Skoda or Lada - and insist that we take my car.

El Salsero Gringo
10th-February-2006, 09:58 AM

I was reading something of the Singleton's Sofa,and I was kinda thinking " what are the forum ladies view on the type of car a man drives? Does it make him more attractive? :waycool: Desirable?:yum:

Your thoughts please any other male input as well.:cheers:I gather BMW's go down well...

murphy
10th-February-2006, 10:01 AM
I gather BMW's go down well...

:eek:
the car or the driver? :whistle:

Icey
10th-February-2006, 10:35 AM
Well, if he drives this car (http://www.forbes.com/2001/11/05/1105vow.html), then he'd be extremely desirable, 'cos he'd be loaded.

I don't know about the driver being desirable ... that car is beautiful! I could just stand there and look at it for quite a while :drool:

Dizzy
10th-February-2006, 10:36 AM
IMHO, I don't think it really matters what he drives as long as he is careful driving it and he is ok with driving me around as I avoid driving as much as possible :blush:, although saying that, if he has a nice looking car then it does say a lot about him and can make him more attractive :drool:.

I used to seriously tease my ex-boyfriend who used to drive a 'granny-wagon' - it was a Nissan Micra!!! :rofl: :whistle:

Missy D
10th-February-2006, 10:36 AM
My last partner had 2 Maseratti cars which cost a fortune. Before we started dating i didnt know he had cars like this. He just made me laugh and that did it for me.

I would rather the man had a car (or motorbike) otherwise i would be the one running back and forth to places. I am not that keen on public transport especially in this cold weather.

Missy D
10th-February-2006, 10:38 AM
:eek:
the car or the driver? :whistle:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

azande
10th-February-2006, 10:42 AM
I would rather the man had a car (or motorbike) otherwise i would be the one running back and forth to places. I am not that keen on public transport especially in this cold weather.
:rolleyes: so you really need a chaffeur...

Missy D
10th-February-2006, 10:47 AM
:rolleyes: so you really need a chaffeur...

Oi!

No i dont mind driving sometimes just not all the time! When i lived in the sticks my boyfriend at the time always wanted us to go to London. I didnt mind but i was a student and if i asked him for money towards petrol he would say "no you are going to London anyway why should i contribute".

Dee drives me around sometimes in her rust bucket with leaking sunroof and 'Flintstone' foot holes in the floor. I dont mind what car i am in as long as it gets from A to B.

Cruella
10th-February-2006, 10:51 AM
You could look at it a different way. He's got a really nice expensive car, does that mean he's making up for the lacking in other areas.:whistle: Therefore needs a nice car to pull the ladies.:wink:

As long as he's a safe driver and doesn't drink and drive that's all that matters surely.

Tazmanian Devil
10th-February-2006, 10:53 AM

Your thoughts please any other male input as well.:cheers:
Personally I think you cannot judge a person by what car they drive. A car is simply for getting you from A-B and back again. Yes I know people like fast cars, and convertables etc etc. But at the end of the day it's not the car that you are going to be having a relationship with now is it:rolleyes:

David Bailey
10th-February-2006, 11:05 AM
Personally I think you cannot judge a person by what car they drive.
Yeah, but clearly people do.

Maybe "You shouldn't judge a person by what car they drive." ?

A car is simply for getting you from A-B and back again.
And a house is just a way to keep warm. A job is a way to keep fed. Etc.

I've often had conversations with women (!) about what they find attractive in men (strangely enough, I don't really care what other men find attractive in women), and many of them do say things like "Has a good standard of living".

So like it or not, a lot of women do look for "being established" as a factor in a relationship, and of course a lot of men know this. So being swayed by a good car is no better or no worse than being swayed by any other materialistic considerations.

<Oh, and let me know if Alfa 147's float your boat...>

WittyBird
10th-February-2006, 11:16 AM
Doesn't matter to me as long as his heart is in the right place :grin:

Dreadful Scathe
10th-February-2006, 11:22 AM
I hate driving and would rather get public transport, if I was given a porche Id sell it. What does that say about me ? :)

Lory
10th-February-2006, 11:30 AM
I if I was given a porche Id sell it. What does that say about me ? :)
Your a muppet:confused::devil:

:whistle: :D

azande
10th-February-2006, 11:39 AM
Your a muppet:confused::devil:

:whistle: :D
Yeah, the Great Gonzo!

WittyBird
10th-February-2006, 11:40 AM
Yeah, the Great Gonzo!

Nah gotta be either Waldorf or Statler :whistle:

azande
10th-February-2006, 11:48 AM
Nah, Gonzo is the right colour!

Mary
10th-February-2006, 11:51 AM

Yeuch! A guy who would be seen driving in that must be wierd. All money and no taste. That is the most ugly, hideous car I have ever seen.

Money does not buy taste - I'd rather a guy could indicate some kind of aesthetic in his choice of vehicle and not just a big engine :D :whistle:

M

Little Monkey
10th-February-2006, 11:52 AM
You could look at it a different way. He's got a really nice expensive car, does that mean he's making up for the lacking in other areas.:whistle: Therefore needs a nice car to pull the ladies.:wink:

Exactly! :rofl:
Maybe a guy's fancy sportscar really says more about his insecurities than anything else?:whistle:

As long as he's a safe driver and doesn't drink and drive that's all that matters surely.

:yeah:

I don't really care about what kind of car he drives.... As long as it works properly and is well looked after, and can take us from A to B, and preferably back again! :wink: Cheap to run and maintain is good, too, so you don't have to waste money on a car that drinks gallons of fuel per mile, but can spend your money on more important things instead! Like, ummmm..... Dancing? Dance shoes? Holidays??

So like it or not, a lot of women do look for "being established" as a factor in a relationship, and of course a lot of men know this. So being swayed by a good car is no better or no worse than being swayed by any other materialistic considerations

I'd say a nice house is much more important for me than a fancy car!!! Although it doesn't need to be a massive, posh house.... And I don't really care what the guy does for a living as long as it's a) legal, and b) he can make enough money from it to be comfortable and not struggle to make ends meet! Oh, and I would be reluctant to date another artist.....

Really, for me it all boils down to the man's personality...... Good looks are a bonus, as long as he's not actually ugly it's fine by me! If he can make me smile, he's half way there.

LM

Tazmanian Devil
10th-February-2006, 11:58 AM
Really, for me it all boils down to the man's personality...... Good looks are a bonus, as long as he's not actually ugly it's fine by me! If he can make me smile, he's half way there.
:yeah: Thats what it's all about after all(making each other happy and smile that is)

Doesn't matter to me as long as his heart is in the right place :grin:

Mary
10th-February-2006, 12:02 PM
For me he's either got to have a great car, big house with beautiful furnishings and tasteful artwork, a great cook, make me laugh and smile, be a fabulous dancer...........

or be Tony!:D :awe:

(do you think I got away with that one?)

WittyBird
10th-February-2006, 12:03 PM
Nah, Gonzo is the right colour!
Maybe but the balcony men are the right age and just as grumpy :rofl:

LMC
10th-February-2006, 12:06 PM
Hmmm, I would have said it didn't matter to me. Until it did. A couple of years ago, I was in a long-distance relationship and for the first several months, he always travelled to mine on the train - which meant that we used my car and I drove everywhere.

One of his two cars was an ancient Land Rover, which was noisy and uncomfortable, and he was a terrible driver :eek: I wouldn't say it made a major difference to our relationship (we broke up over other issues), but it did matter, because I was always bad-tempered while he was driving, especially if it was the Land Rover over any distance more than about 20 minutes.

I wouldn't say the car was a major factor, but DJ is right, it is something to take into account along with other 'material' considerations, like how independent/financially sustainable his lifestyle is.

Dreadful Scathe
10th-February-2006, 12:07 PM
Nah gotta be either Waldorf or Statler :whistle:
I could be both. I do wander about arguing with myself.

No I don't :rolleyes:

Lynn
10th-February-2006, 12:19 PM
But do men think about impressing women when they choose what car to buy? Or impressing other men (in a macho way)?

There was a rather flash car outside the hotel at Scarborough - walking past it us two ladies just glanced it, the two guys we were with were the ones who were taking a closer look, stopping to admire various aspects etc.

Cars, houses, what restaurant he takes you to on a date - yes they all communicate a message - but its only a part of who the person is and you have to decide how important that aspect is to you. And how important it is to him - some guys think their nice car, house, income and looks are enough - and they don't actually need to be a nice person as well.

Donna
10th-February-2006, 12:26 PM
[QUOTE=Lynn]But do men think about impressing women when they choose what car to buy? Or impressing other men (in a macho way)?

Lynn I think both!

the two guys we were with were the ones who were taking a closer look, stopping to admire various aspects etc.

:really:

I bet you anything, most of these guys with posh cars are up to their necks in debt, BUT like to pretend they are rich to impress the ladies. :grin:

murphy
10th-February-2006, 12:26 PM
I can't say cars have ever been a factor in my attraction to anyone.

Although I do quite like Jeremy Clarkson and Richard Hammond. :drool:
Have I really just admitted to that???:blush:

Lynn
10th-February-2006, 12:30 PM
Have I really just admitted to that???:blush: Oh yes, Richard Hammond is cute.

(Waits for all the men to complain about women calling men 'cute'!)

David Bailey
10th-February-2006, 12:31 PM
But do men think about impressing women when they choose what car to buy? Or impressing other men (in a macho way)?
Do women ever think about impressing men when they doll themselves up? Or impressing other women? Same question to my mind...

Is this a good time to mention shoes? :innocent:

WittyBird
10th-February-2006, 12:33 PM
Do women ever think about impressing men when they doll themselves up? Or impressing other women? Same question to my mind...

Hardly, we do it for ourselves to make us feel better, look good then feel good factor. Nothing else. Got it? :whistle:

LMC
10th-February-2006, 12:36 PM
Do women ever think about impressing men when they doll themselves up?
Yep. But that's not the *only* reason I doll myself up* - probably about 20% max? - the rest is definitely 'what WB said' - I do it to make myself feel good about looking good.

*Just as well

Or impressing other women?
Ah, the "make them green with envy" approach. Nope, can't compete on that one.

Same question to my mind...
:eek: :what: :non-available zippy mouth guy:

Is this a good time to mention shoes? :innocent:
Any time is a good time to mention shoes...

ducasi
10th-February-2006, 12:43 PM
(Waits for all the men to complain about women calling men 'cute'!) I've got no problem with you calling men cute at all. :nice:

As a non-driver, hoping to change that soon, but a long-time fan of cars, the first thing that I would consider when I go to buy a car is how it looks to me.

Second is how it looks to other people, when I'd want it to reflect something about me.

Currently I quite fancy the Mini Cooper. Anyone like to suggest what that says about me? :flower:

LMC
10th-February-2006, 01:01 PM
Currently I quite fancy the Mini Cooper. Anyone like to suggest what that says about me? :flower:
That you like a challenge? :devil:

David Bailey
10th-February-2006, 01:04 PM
Hardly, we do it for ourselves to make us feel better, look good then feel good factor. Nothing else. Got it? :whistle:
Then that's my answer to "Why do men buy flash cars." :whistle:

WittyBird
10th-February-2006, 01:08 PM
Then that's my answer to "Why do men buy flash cars." :whistle:

Yep, sure it is. Righto:rofl:

Lynn
10th-February-2006, 01:09 PM
Do women ever think about impressing men when they doll themselves up? Or impressing other women? Same question to my mind... I did have that thought in my head when I typed my comment about men and cars, yes. But I didn't want cause a diversion (appalling car related pun).

I dress mostly for myself and partly for other women (depending on where I am going and who will be there). Men wouldn't notice most of the time anyway. So yes, the only time I would dress to impress men would be if it was for a specific man who I was already with (ie not just to 'pull') - I think that's totally different though. I would agree that some women do dress in order to get men's attention in the same way that some men drive flash cars to get woman's attention.

Is this a good time to mention shoes? :innocent:Its always a good time to mention shoes. And shoes are definitely first and foremost to make the me feel good.

Donna
10th-February-2006, 01:10 PM
I can't say cars have ever been a factor in my attraction to anyone.

Have I really just admitted to that???:blush:

Ahem...i think you just did!:rofl:

So you seriously think that Jeremy Clarkson is fit?:eek:

LMC
10th-February-2006, 01:12 PM
Cars and make up are hardly comparable in terms of cost, versatility, performance (!), useful life.

Some makes/models of car will always be prestige or unloved (although I was reluctantly impressed with driving my uncle's modern Skoda - vastly improved now they have more VW performance and styling). But generally, you don't buy cars for other people, you buy them for you. I guess a guy might buy a car on the basis of it being a babe magnet - but I bet he's more interested in how fast it goes.

But for make-up, thinking about it:

Yep. But that's not the *only* reason I doll myself up* - probably about 20% max? - the rest is definitely 'what WB said' - I do it to make myself feel good about looking good.
Actually, make that 90% for other people. I hardly ever put on full make up and dress up if I'm just slobbing round the house on my own - who does? Be honest now - making up and dressing up makes us feel good because of the reaction we get from other people and how we feel about ourselves around other people, whatever their reaction.

EDIT: I have deliberately not made "other people" gender specific because my generalisation is bad enough as it is :rofl:

WittyBird
10th-February-2006, 01:20 PM
But for make-up, thinking about it:

Actually, make that 90% for other people. I hardly ever put on full make up and dress up if I'm just slobbing round the house on my own - who does? Be honest now - making up and dressing up makes us feel good because of the reaction we get from other people and how we feel about ourselves around other people, whatever their reaction.

I beg to differ.

I have a lot of paperwork to do today it is mudane and I would be losing the will to live with it all.

However....

Instead of staying in PJ's and slobbing around the house. I got up, had a bath, put a nice outfit on along with makeup and did my hair. I now feel good, look good and am more positive about doing this paperwork.

The outcome of it will be that because I feel better about doing it, the words I write will come across better, hence a more productive day. :na:

But having said that, I have just looked in the mirror and thought 'shopping' :rofl:

Lynn
10th-February-2006, 01:22 PM
What's make up?

(I knew I was going wrong somewhere with men! :rofl: )

LMC
10th-February-2006, 01:22 PM
That's why I said 90% :wink: - because yes, there are days when you do just make up and dress up "for you".

Now get back to work!

Sparkles
10th-February-2006, 01:23 PM
Being able to drive, having a car, and being willing to drive are all plus points :flower:.

From there on in anything is a bonus... well almost.

I did get in a car once that was so full of rubbish (I'm talking newspapers, old take-away cartons, biscuit crumbs, carrier bags and general filth) that when I got out I had two insect bites on my legs :sick:; I never went in it again - so a clean car is the next step.

Having a reliable car also helps - no-one wants to be taken out for the evening to only be stranded on the hard-shoulder for two hours!

Other than that the type of car isn't *really* that important, although I'd be lying if I said that I didn't find nice cars impressive :blush:, especially if the sound good, feel nice (mmmm :drool: leather seats) and have air conditioning. A decent sound system is also a bonus (some well-timed, good music is always appreciated).

I really don't like Fords. Never have, never will. Sorry to all the Ford drivers out there :flower: - I know I'm digging my own grave here...

WittyBird
10th-February-2006, 01:24 PM
Now get back to work!

Oh go and read a dictionary or something :rofl:

Lynn
10th-February-2006, 01:24 PM
Instead of staying in PJ's and slobbing around the house. I got up, had a bath, put a nice outfit on along with makeup and did my hair. I now feel good, look good and am more positive about doing this paperwork.

The outcome of it will be that because I feel better about doing it, the words I write will come across better, hence a more productive day. :na: :yeah: There is no strict dress code at work so I could turn up in casual jeans and jumper and sometimes I do. Other times I make more effort - totally depending on the mood I am in when I get up - so that's not related to anyone else at all. (I work mostly with men and I don't think they notice much what I am wearing anyway).

LMC
10th-February-2006, 01:25 PM
I really don't like Fords. Never have, never will. Sorry to all the Ford drivers out there :flower: - I know I'm digging my own grave here...
Nor do I, and I drive one :tears: - it was a distress purchase: it's cheap and (touch wood) reliable.

I agree, nice cars are, well, nice :drool: - but IMO, for the comfort factor rather than the image factor more often than not.

WittyBird
10th-February-2006, 01:26 PM

Fix Or Repair Daily - I hate the damn things :rofl:

Sparkles
10th-February-2006, 01:28 PM
I agree, nice cars are, well, nice :drool: - but IMO, for the comfort factor rather than the image factor more often than not.
Not sure I agree with that - some cars are very sexy from the outside... :blush:

Sparkles
10th-February-2006, 01:29 PM
What's make up?
You don't need to worry about it, you're beautiful without :flower:

LMC
10th-February-2006, 01:31 PM
some cars are very sexy from the outside...
Yeah, and then you get in the passenger seat (or worse, in the back...)

Nope, the sexy outside might attract me to sitting in the car, but if it ain't comfortable I don't care how good it looks.

OK, that's it, I'm officially middle aged.

Lynn
10th-February-2006, 01:32 PM
Fix Or Repair Daily - I hate the damn things :rofl::rofl:

Have to say I'm on my second Fiesta and both have been extremely reliable, economical and nippy in traffic. But I didn't drive for years so I'm still at the 'its great having a car' stage.

And never mind the car he drives you about in - does he open the door for you?

murphy
10th-February-2006, 01:41 PM
Ahem...i think you just did!:rofl:

So you seriously think that Jeremy Clarkson is fit?:eek:

Quick, pass a shovel so I can dig myself out of this one......:tears:

Not fit and not my ideal... but he has a certain something... :whistle:

(ohmigod... someone shut me up pleeeease..):rofl:

Dizzy
10th-February-2006, 01:50 PM
Oh yes, Richard Hammond is cute.

(Waits for all the men to complain about women calling men 'cute'!)

:yeah: :drool: :D

Heather
10th-February-2006, 01:55 PM

Women are their own worst critics. So, Id agree with this, we dress up , make up , and buy lots of shoes , not for any old bloke but for ourselves!!!!

:hug:
Heather

Tessalicious
10th-February-2006, 01:57 PM
I really don't like Fords. Never have, never will.Phew, guess it's a good thing I don't have a problem with that. For me, not having to keep my eyes closed and my fingers tightly gripped around my seat when my man is driving makes enough of a change for me that what he's driving is of very little importance, as long as I can hear myself think over the engine.

On the other hand, if I were to get a car myself, I'd want it to be one that represented me - by being reliable but fun, expensive-looking but relatively cheap to run, and most importantly curvy and brightly-coloured!

...does he open the door for you?:whistle:

Cruella
10th-February-2006, 02:05 PM
On the other hand, if I were to get a car myself, I'd want it to be one that represented me - by being reliable but fun, expensive-looking but relatively cheap to run, and most importantly curvy and brightly-coloured!
:whistle:
I think women look at cars completely differently. If there is no limit on expense we would all go for something that resembles our personalities. The first thing i say to my hubby when he's thinking of changing his car is "what colour is it?" It is my dream to have a pearlescent pink car.:drool: Managed to persuade him to reluctantly buy a bright yellow one last time (he's got used to his mates taking the p1ss now) but i think pink would be pushing it!

dee
10th-February-2006, 02:50 PM
I did get in a car once that was so full of rubbish (I'm talking newspapers, old take-away cartons, biscuit crumbs, carrier bags and general filth) that when I got out I had two insect bites on my legs :sick:; I never went in it again - so a clean car is the next step.

Having a reliable car also helps - no-one wants to be taken out for the evening to only be stranded on the hard-shoulder for two hours!

Did i once give you a lift then? :blush: the only thing going for my car is it's very reliable. :D

I think i need to start saving to get a new one :sad:

dee
10th-February-2006, 02:52 PM
Oi!

Dee drives me around sometimes in her rust bucket with leaking sunroof and 'Flintstone' foot holes in the floor. I dont mind what car i am in as long as it gets from A to B.

You are so not nice to me :tears:
I only have this car as it was our dads pride and joy when he was alive :tears:

At least it's not a ford :mad: and paid for :mad:

Asif
10th-February-2006, 03:35 PM
Personally I think you cannot judge a person by what car they drive.....
But some people DO buy cars as a reflection of their personality. A few years ago, TiggsTours bought a brand new bright yellow Fiat Punto (she called it "Banana Roo"), with a full sports kit inside and out. Her previous car was an old (but very reliable) Citroen. She had seen some other cars but decide in the end to go for this. Why? Because she said it made her feel good when she got in and drove it, it was bright and bubbly (like her), she "enjoyed" driving this more than the other cars she had also seen but mainly so it would be easy to spot in the car park!! So what does that say about her? She's now driving a cute little Citroen Saxo.

As for me, i used to drive a Rover 216 (very lovely, smart, reliable, a bit boring), then changed if for a Mazda 323F (sporty, great fun to drive) and am now driving a Honda Accord (very lovely, smart, reliable, a bit boring). These purchases were slightly influenced by the jobs i had at the time. However, they have all been RED. What does that say about me?

WittyBird
10th-February-2006, 03:39 PM
However, they have all been RED. What does that say about me?

That you will get pulled by the police more than anyone when they play snooker :rofl:

David Bailey
10th-February-2006, 03:54 PM
Cars and make up are hardly comparable in terms of cost, versatility, performance (!), useful life.

Indeed - from what I can tell, make up's far more expensive. :devil:

Lory
10th-February-2006, 04:02 PM
Well, shout me down if you like but I think a lot of you girls are far too nice for your own good!:rolleyes:

If I was going on a date, I would NOT be impressed if a man turned up in a dirty heap, the same goes for his clothes, his appearance and the way he keeps his house.:devil:

I'd always go for the one who looked like he respected himself enough to care about what he looked like, as well as his creature comforts, cos if I could see he didn't value or respect himself or his possessions, I'd be worried he wouldn't respect or value the most important thing, that being ME!:innocent:

Dizzy
10th-February-2006, 04:10 PM
Well, shout me down if you like but I think a lot of you girls are far too nice for your own good!:rolleyes:

If I was going on a date, I would NOT be impressed if a man turned up in a dirty heap, the same goes for his clothes, his appearance and the way he keeps his house.:devil:

I'd always go for the one who looked like he respected himself enough to care about what he looked like, as well as his creature comforts, cos if I could see he didn't value or respect himself or his possessions, I'd be worried he wouldn't respect or value the most important thing, that being ME!:innocent:

Now I understand what you see in KevF - I've been in his car too!! :D :rofl:

senorita
10th-February-2006, 04:12 PM
:yeah: :yeah:

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

Very well said Lorraine!:worthy: , I agree with all that you said :hug:
He can pick me up in a limo, ....ANYTIME :rofl:

Missy D
10th-February-2006, 04:19 PM
:yeah: :yeah:

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

Very well said Lorraine!:worthy: , I agree with all that you said :hug:
He can pick me up in a limo, ....ANYTIME :rofl:

Dont be fooled by appearances! Been there! done that! I am off to Asda for a trolley boy:rofl:

TiggsTours
10th-February-2006, 04:40 PM
But some people DO buy cars as a reflection of their personality. A few years ago, TiggsTours bought a brand new bright yellow Fiat Punto (she called it "Banana Roo"), with a full sports kit inside and out. Her previous car was an old (but very reliable) Citroen. She had seen some other cars but decide in the end to go for this. Why? Because she said it made her feel good when she got in and drove it, it was bright and bubbly (like her), she "enjoyed" driving this more than the other cars she had also seen but mainly so it would be easy to spot in the car park!! So what does that say about her? She's now driving a cute little Citroen Saxo.

I miss banana roo ! :tears: :tears: :tears:

But, I nearly didn't buy him because I didn't think I could drive him to a funeral. :rofl:

David Bailey
10th-February-2006, 05:29 PM
Now I understand what you see in KevF - I've been in his car too!! :D :rofl:
I prefer Lory's car :grin:

Little Monkey
10th-February-2006, 08:43 PM

But haven't all the girls (well, most, anyway) so far said that what's important isn't what kind of car the guy drives, as long as the car is clean, well maintained and reliable?

So: Rusty, dirty unreliable car vs brand spanking new sports car? Well, I know what I'd prefer!

But nice enough, well-kept, clean and reliable car (old or new) that doesn't cost an arm and a leg just to drive around the block, vs incredibly flash and expensive sports car....... I'm happy with the boring car, thanks, as long as the guy is lovely! :awe:

Daisy Chain
10th-February-2006, 08:57 PM
Personally, I find it a real turn-off if a man drives a girlie car. i.e. one like mine!

Daisy

(A Shallow Little Flower)

Dreadful Scathe
10th-February-2006, 11:13 PM
Rusty, dirty unreliable car vs brand spanking -snip-

A spanking? Theres going to be a spanking? :)

Tiggerbabe
10th-February-2006, 11:23 PM
For me he's either got to have a great car, big house with beautiful furnishings and tasteful artwork, a great cook, make me laugh and smile, be a fabulous dancer...........

I so misread part of this :blush: :whistle:

Whitebeard
10th-February-2006, 11:27 PM

They say great minds .......

Lynn
10th-February-2006, 11:27 PM
So yes, the only time I would dress to impress men would be if it was for a specific man who I was already with (ie not just to 'pull') Drat, in the interests of honesty and accuracy, that statement is not entirely true. But mostly. (On the other hand - I'm worrying about accuracy on this forum?:rofl: )

Lynn
10th-February-2006, 11:28 PM
Currently I quite fancy the Mini Cooper. Anyone like to suggest what that says about me? :flower:That you're cute? :flower:

Whitebeard
10th-February-2006, 11:30 PM
I miss banana roo ! :tears: :tears: :tears:

But, I nearly didn't buy him because I didn't think I could drive him to a funeral. :rofl:

So, you see your car as a he whereas I see mine as a she. So what gender would you see my car as, were you ever to see it ?

Little Monkey
11th-February-2006, 12:07 AM
A spanking? Theres going to be a spanking? :)

There could be..........:devil:

KatieR
11th-February-2006, 12:07 AM

Have to admit I agree too, If a guy drove up in a clapped out Holden Commodore I would be none to impressed. Just make me think he is a bit of a revhead and would be more interested in cars than me.

Call me materialistic if you like but if we are truly honest with ourselves I think you will find that you care more than you realise.

Whitebeard
11th-February-2006, 12:13 AM
Have to admit I agree too, If a guy drove up in a clapped out Holden Commodore .........

Most of us would be pretty mystefied. Please translate into UK speak.

SilverFox
11th-February-2006, 12:43 AM
I so misread part of this :blush: :whistle:Something on your mind?......:devil:

Cruella
11th-February-2006, 12:03 PM
I think i must be too innocent:innocent: to see what your misreading :confused: Please enlighten me Sheena.:flower: ( I hate it when i don't get the joke)

KatieR
12th-February-2006, 01:32 PM
Most of us would be pretty mystefied. Please translate into UK speak.

Err.. rusted out Fiat Pinto?? What is a typically English car that has a bad reputation? A car that has had a whole purposely punched through its exhaust to make it louder, one car door is usually a different colour cos its been replaced and not by a specialist repairer (usually a home jobby).. 12 inch rims with flattish tyres... fluffy dice... need I continue?

Whitebeard
12th-February-2006, 02:46 PM
Err.. rusted out Fiat Pinto?? What is a typically English car that has a bad reputation? A car that has had a whole purposely punched through its exhaust to make it louder, one car door is usually a different colour cos its been replaced and not by a specialist repairer (usually a home jobby).. 12 inch rims with flattish tyres... fluffy dice... need I continue?

That's pretty graphic and, come to think of it, if I were a car I might be described in similar terms ;-)

Sounds as though you despise fluffy dice, nodding dogs, and sundry rear-view mirror dangly things, just as much as I do.

ToeTrampler
12th-February-2006, 03:23 PM
Currently I quite fancy the Mini Cooper. Anyone like to suggest what that says about me? :flower:That you are very secure in your sexuality. :wink:

Pammy
12th-February-2006, 04:36 PM
Dale

Talking of transportation, I guess you're in trouble now, as Helen tells me you've got rid of the "love mobile" :really:

I loved that car! :tears:

Pamster
x

Groovy Dancer
12th-February-2006, 04:59 PM
Dale

Talking of transportation, I guess you're in trouble now, as Helen tells me you've got rid of the "love mobile" :really:

I loved that car! :tears:

Pamster
x

Well I replaced her with the seductive sedan:whistle:

Whitebeard
12th-February-2006, 07:00 PM
Currently I quite fancy the Mini Cooper. Anyone like to suggest what that says about me?

There are practicalities and, believe it or not, I'm favouring a Ford Focus as my new runabout. The fact that JC derides the styling of the new model as too conservative serves only to further commend it to me. (Can't stand that guy, but I'm sure someone loves him dearly.) As a nostalgic nod to a series of sports cars in earlier years it will have to be the Zetec model. Anyone remember MGBs? Even in their day the performance could only be described as adequate, and talk about smoky exhausts and rusty sills. But the Scimitar with twin Webbers and stainless exhausts was a delight apart from the dodgy cooling system.

Sheepman
13th-February-2006, 12:21 PM
Yeuch! A guy who would be seen driving in that must be wierd. All money and no taste. That is the most ugly, hideous car I have ever seen. :yeah:
But if anyone sees fit to give me such an ugly beast, I'll gladly accept!

To me a car is about practicality. In the past I've coveted a large range of cars, and driven all sorts (the Reliant Robin was far more "exciting" than the BMW 7 series! :eek: ) and yes, I would like to have that E-type, or Ferrari, maybe even a Porsche at a pinch. So why don't I have one if I'd like it? Because essentially it is just a big expensive toy, and a toy which would be more of a liability than anything else, especially in London. Maybe it would impress the women, and I would say that seeing a gorgeous woman driving a sporty car with the top down can be sexy, but that's not the same as being attracted to her. Conversely, my stereotypical image of a woman that would be attracted to me, because I had a flash car, is not the sort of woman that would interest me.

I'm not sure what it takes to be considered loaded enough to be instantly attractive nowadays. (Certainly a million dollars doesn't do it!) But amongst the people I know whom I'd put in the "wealthy" bracket, it's about half and half between those who drive inconspicuous cars, and those that have the ostentatious cars as "playthings." (Usually in addition to their everyday car.)

There is one other factor that I have always considered when buying a car, and that is it's impact on the environment. With fossil fuels on their way out, avoiding the gas guzzlers seems like common sense.

Now, I'd better read this thread and probably discover that all this has been said already...

Greg

CJ
13th-February-2006, 02:25 PM
Am about to take ownership of the new "Honormobile": a red VW Vento. OK, not cool but it is practical enough to do baby things...

My ostentatious toy is the unmistakable red Transit van: The ReadIt Mobile!!:devil:

What does that say?!?!?!?!?:rofl:

Lory
13th-February-2006, 02:37 PM
Am about to take ownership of the new "Honormobile": a red VW Vento. OK, not cool but it is practical enough to do baby things...

My ostentatious toy is the unmistakable red Transit van: The ReadIt Mobile!!:devil:

What does that say?!?!?!?!?:rofl:
Your going through the 'practical father' stage ;) :hug:

Don't worry, I was a proud owner of a Mitsubishi, 7 seater Space wagon - once! :wink:

CJ, it's just a phase, it'll pass!:D

ducasi
13th-February-2006, 08:27 PM
Most of us would be pretty mystefied. Please translate into UK speak. I think a "Holden Commodore" is maybe even the same car as a Vauxhall Cavalier.

So, when you hear "a clapped out Holden Commodore" just think "that car that Dee has." :wink:

(Actually, according to wikipedia... "The original design was actually a rebadged and strengthened Opel Commodore, which was GM's V-car, sold in the UK as the Vauxhall Viceroy, and the Chevrolet Commodore in South Africa."

Later on it was the same car as the Opel/Vauxhall Carlton/Senator, though it shared some parts with the Opel/Vauxhall Vectra.

More recently it has been based on the Omega, and coming bang-up-to-date, the coupe version of it, called the Monaro is now imported into this country and sold by Vauxhall.)

Piglet
27th-February-2006, 11:20 PM
So, you see your car as a he whereas I see mine as a she. So what gender would you see my car as, were you ever to see it ?
Mine's a she! I thought all vehicles were she's??

Also mine's a Nissan Micra and I love her to bits - she's doing really well for her age and well spacey inside. My boyfriend's got a Capri and she's a lovely car too and I'll miss her when she gets sold, but he's been saying she's going to go for the last year and she's still there so I'll believe it when I see it.

Whitebeard
27th-February-2006, 11:52 PM
Mine's a she! I thought all vehicles were she's??

Also mine's a Nissan Micra and I love her to bits - she's doing really well for her age and well spacey inside. My boyfriend's got a Capri and she's a lovely car too and I'll miss her when she gets sold, but he's been saying she's going to go for the last year and she's still there so I'll believe it when I see it.

Crikey, that's worth preserving in aspic ;-)

Is it the 3 litre job ?

Sheepman
28th-February-2006, 11:26 AM
the seductive sedan
So what is it that makes a car "seductive?"
A friend turned up the other day in his 5 month old Aston Martin DB9, saying that the reaction he gets is :respect: but no other offers yet!
Mind you, he did delight in opening the bonnet, and explaining to me that the 2 engines bolted together are Ford Mondeos'. :really:

Greg

CJ
28th-February-2006, 12:51 PM
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOhhhhh YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honda X4.

1300 cc: Jap import. Lurvely sound...

(theoretically :wink: 110mph in 2nd gear)

Black.

Pick her up today.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH Yes............

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH No!! It says "Midlife Crisis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!":rofl: :rofl:

Piglet
28th-February-2006, 02:04 PM
Crikey, that's worth preserving in aspic ;-)

Is it the 3 litre job ?
No idea - I'm a girl - to me a car is a piece of metal. I can ask though if you want...

Lynn
28th-February-2006, 02:42 PM
Have to say I'm on my second Fiesta and both have been extremely reliable, economical and nippy in traffic. My rear window wiper has stopped working! :tears: And of course it decides to do this the day before it starts snowing, thought I was going to have to keep pulling in to clear it on the way to work today but the snow stopped!

Though after over 2 years of owning Fiestas this is the first thing that has gone wrong (OK the last car needed more oil than it should but nothing actually stopped working, though the passenger electric window sometimes stuck.)

Now I have to find a mechanic...

Petal
28th-February-2006, 09:45 PM

Yes i dated a guy who had an impressive car, always spotless, as was his house and him, but i felt i just couldn't match his standards.:tears:

KatieR
1st-March-2006, 08:19 AM
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOhhhhh YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honda X4.

1300 cc: Jap import. Lurvely sound...

(theoretically :wink: 110mph in 2nd gear)

Black.

Pick her up today.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH Yes............

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH No!! It says "Midlife Crisis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!":rofl: :rofl:

Oh what fun would life be if we werent allowed the occassional mid life crisis here and there :wink: