PDA

View Full Version : Rock Bottoms Rocks again!

Gus
25th-February-2003, 10:57 AM
Just got back from Rock Bottoms and got to say its the BEST dance holiday event I've been on. As a 'survivor' of Jive Spree, Beach Boogie, Dance and Ski etc. I've got to say that Rock Bottoms has supassed all the rest. Awesome level of dancers, extremely friendly, impressive line up of DJ's, including the UK's No 1 (Jon Brett) ... couldn't really ask for more.

The only slight downside is that the music tends to me swing based, but there is so much depth to the music played that you're bound to find something to dance to, even for a confessed club/chart music fan like myself. Psrticular praise has to go to Amir and Kate for 5 superb workshops ... and also to the fun generated by the hosts (Hev, Tor, Andy Jon etc).

Seems like a fair few of the characters at the event will be at Blackpool and keen to meet the 'Northern' jivers so please grab hold of them, especially Jules and Ali ... really nice dancers and really nice people.

Bill
25th-February-2003, 11:38 AM
I know it's on a site somewhere Gus but where is it held ??

So you and the lovley Helen will have lots of new moves for Saturday then :D :wink: Can't wait to see them.

Can already feel the nerves begiining to kick in :sick: and the idea of going on Saturday for fun is great but with two practice sessions under our belt I am wondering if it was such a good idea :what: :(

But can't wait to see everyone and would love to get down to Rock Bottoms at some point. Is there another event in the near future ????

Gus
25th-February-2003, 12:24 PM
Details of future events are at http://www.rockbottoms.co.uk/ ... but they seem to book up pretty fast. The key thing I would say is that you are looking to dance with better (and suprisingly patient) dancers ... its a great place to be.

Re new moves ... NO CHANCE ... I'm having trouble enough remembering even my usual moves, never mind anything new to be thrown in at the last minute.

One intersting point is that Amir and Kate performed the Ecuador routine .... very interesting ... recognised a lot of moves that Clayton and Janine use ..... will be interesting to see how the Australian style of cabaret fares against the home grown style .... dont think it will be as forgone a conclusion as some observers seem to think:wink:

Will
25th-February-2003, 01:22 PM
Gus,

Can you confirm the above URL for rockbottoms as I can't seem to get it to work. Could well be my internet connection mind you.

And I also have 2 question's for you and anyone else who has ever been on a dance and ski holiday.

1. How on earth do you manage to find the energy to dance away the night after skiing all day? I'm absolutely knackered after skiing myself.

2. As well as skiiing before hand, you are also dancing at an altitude where there is virtually no oxygen to be had. I've tried dancing 1 song at a ski resort and was nearly hospitalized. What is the secret??? Or am I just unfeasibly unfit?:sad:

TheTramp
25th-February-2003, 01:26 PM
Well, I think that I'm unfeasibly unfit, but I didn't have a problem.

You only really dance 3 nights out of the 8 that you are there. So you do get to rest some of the other nights (unless you're out doing some other apres ski).

I seem to remember dancing all night after skiing all day though - although, I haven't been dancing and skiing for 2 years now :(

As for the link, I couldn't get it to work either.....

Try this one....

http://www.this-rocks.com

Steve

Will
25th-February-2003, 02:22 PM
Cheers Steve.

I've always wanted to go on a Dance and Ski holiday but in my opinion they are just so expensive that I haven't ever done one.

How do you think they'd feel if people went to the same resort on the same week privately and then payed say £10 on the night to join in the dacing?

Will

Clayton
25th-February-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Gus
One intersting point is that Amir and Kate performed the Ecuador routine .... very interesting ... recognised a lot of moves that Clayton and Janine use ..... will be interesting to see how the Australian style of cabaret fares against the home grown style .... dont think it will be as forgone a conclusion as some observers seem to think:wink: Gus,

I’m sorry I missed you & Helen at Rockbottoms. J & I unfortunately pulled out last week. I did hear that it was a great weekend & I am personally looking forward to the next one.

I’m glade you had a chance to view Ecuador to put it in perspective. A little history…it is approx 6/7 years old and designed/Choreographed (by Nicky) as an intermediate routine to be taught & performed in large groups. It portrays Aussie dancing of that time. In 2003, It’s not meant as a competitive Team routine compared to what I have seen in last years Ceroc comp. The main aim is for the team performing to have some fun & hopefully it will be viewed as entertaining & fun on the day. Hope this makes sense!

See you in Blackpool

Clayton

TheTramp
25th-February-2003, 02:31 PM
Hiya Will

Yes, they are expensive, and that's the reason that I haven't been for the last 2 years. I went the two years previous to that, and had a great time, but if you look at the cost of going for the same week to the same resort, not with Dance and Ski, the cost allegedly seems to be much cheaper - I haven't looked into it directly myself - I know a few people who say that though.

I think I've heard on the grapevine, that they won't allow people to do what you've suggested (ie. pay money to join them for a night of dancing). I guess the problem is that they might get a lot of people doing that, and not going on the full holiday through them.

Steve

Gus
25th-February-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Clayton
Gus,

I’m sorry I missed you & Helen at Rockbottoms. J & I unfortunately pulled out last week. I did hear that it was a great weekend & I am personally looking forward to the next one.

It was a real shame you weren't there ... I know Helen was among many lasses who always look forward to having a dance with you ... and Jeanine is always a delight:drool:

Yup, the routine was interesting ... knew it was history ... wasn't aware it was ancient history. I think that the UK can and will benefit a lot from seeing more of the Aussie/NZ style. Look forward to seeing (and competing against [gulp]) you guys next weekend.

Diane
27th-February-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Gus
Just got back from Rock Bottoms and got to say its the BEST dance holiday event I've been on. As a 'survivor' of Jive Spree, Beach Boogie, Dance and Ski etc. I've got to say that Rock Bottoms has supassed all the rest. Awesome level of dancers, extremely friendly, impressive line up of DJ's, including the UK's No 1 (Jon Brett) ... couldn't really ask for more.

Hi, gus
Glad you enjoyed your 1st RB. Must agree with all you said a the top of your post, it really is a fantatic weekend .

:really: Nice to meet you and chat even thou you were cheeky.

di