PDA

View Full Version : How to get photos off a pc.

johnthehappyguy
8th-February-2006, 02:21 PM
My mum has no CD writer and her old PC has about 400 photographs on it.

She has only 56k modem, no broadband.

Is there a simple way I can get the photographs off her pc ?

It does have usb, and Windows 98.

I have access to a good laptop with CD writer.

Is it possible to stick a USB cable into the back of them and transfer files from one to another ?

Any suggestions ( helpful ones are particularly welcome. )

Please don't laugh too loudly.

Thanks

John:nice:

azande
8th-February-2006, 02:26 PM
Buy a USB memory stick like these (http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=usb+memory+stick&hl=en&hs=Tlo&lr=&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=N&tab=ff&oi=froogler), they are quite cheap now and its easy to transfer stuff around.

Gadget
8th-February-2006, 02:47 PM
The other *expensive* option is to get a wireless router and plug a USB network thingie into them, then simply share files between the computer.

You can also get software like PCAnywhere that can share files over a cable connection (Like any COM port on the vack of the machine - note newer PC's replace these with USB's)

But I would say :yeah: to azande's suggestion.
{BTW pointing out the obvious, but digital cameras have storeage within them - you don't have to simply down-load images from them to the computer, you can also upload images/files/music from your computer to the camera, then plug it in to another PC and download them into that one.}

TheTramp
8th-February-2006, 02:56 PM
Can't you just get a cable and network them?

I networked (with a certain smurf's help (well, really, he did it, I just made the coffee)) my laptop and PC together. Cost me about £10 for the cable....

Although, I will say that I'd also go for Azande's option. Will probably come in far more useful in the long term. Or, if you only think that you'd need it the once, I could lend you one.

David Franklin
8th-February-2006, 02:58 PM
I would use Azande's advice - by the far the simplest solution.

Do NOT connect the PC's by USB, they're not designed for this and I've heard of people doing this wrong and causing serious damage to their PC - we're talking smoke and flames here!

As Gadget says, there are various solutions based on connecting using the COM ports, or even the printer ports (if you have a bidirectional parallel port). But they are very outdated now, because most machines come with ethernet networking. This means you often get software that only works with Windows 95 or something silly like that.

You can probably get an ethernet card for the old PC for ~£5; you can use that and a crossover network cable to network two machines. But it sounds like overkill for this situation, unless the files are very large.

Lory
8th-February-2006, 03:25 PM
How about emailing them to your PC, then you can save them on there?

azande
8th-February-2006, 03:30 PM
about 400 photographs on it.

:rolleyes:

WittyBird
8th-February-2006, 03:33 PM

Or you could boot up messenger on the pc, messenger on the laptop and send them that way, all the photo's will go straight into 'my received files' and you can just copy them onto disk that way :grin:

That's if you don't want to get a memory stick which is by far the best suggestion. I have a few of them and they are in constant use :grin:

ToeTrampler
8th-February-2006, 03:44 PM
Buy a USB memory stick ~ :yeah:
This (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000AQFD42/ref=br_ce_ts_1/026-0490045-0665269) looks like good value and should hold a lot of photos.

Dreadful Scathe
8th-February-2006, 04:14 PM
Ignore the muppets suggesting email or messenger :rolleyes: :) 400 digital pictures would take you a while to upload to a new machine with a 56k modem. I remember the days of 300bps connections - we had no pictures in those days just characters on the screen. Seriously ;)

Easiest option is a USB stick - such as this one (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=16003691790&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=101592) : £17.31 for 512mb - should be all you need. Windows 98 drivers included with that one. Later OS's do not need drivers.

You could get an ethernet card for your mum but then you'd need to fit it. Saying that though, if you think that'll be useful for the future - I'll send you one for nothing.

frodo
9th-February-2006, 01:47 AM
My mum has no CD writer and her old PC has about 400 photographs on it.

Is there a simple way I can get the photographs off her pc ?

It does have usb, and Windows 98.

I have access to a good laptop with CD writer.

Is it possible to stick a USB cable into the back of them and transfer files from one to another ?

Any suggestions ( helpful ones are particularly welcome. )

Please don't laugh too loudly.

Thanks

John:nice:I've made considerable use this USB transfer cable, between different systems including between Windows 98 and Windows 2000 without a problem. I think I've used it on the base version of Windows 98 aswell as the second edition, but I could be wrong.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=76674

Chicklet
9th-February-2006, 10:06 AM
Easiest option is a USB stick - such as this one (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=16003691790&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=101592) : .
VIKING!!!!???!!!!*faint* - want to check yer old freebies the other er, year :rofl: and think again on that one Smurf Boy????????????

El Salsero Gringo
9th-February-2006, 10:18 AM
VIKING!!!!???!!!!*faint* - want to check yer old freebies the other er, year :rofl: and think again on that one Smurf Boy????????????No no - he's right. Where else would you get one with a "stylish frosted silver case with famous Viking blue logo" which is after all "is a must have."

And don't forget the "Flashing Viking V Light Emitting Diode in dynamic green" - I think that's the same as British Racing Green, only different.

Dreadful Scathe
9th-February-2006, 11:38 AM
VIKING!!!!???!!!!*faint* - want to check yer old freebies the other er, year :rofl: and think again on that one Smurf Boy????????????
I am not a slave to brand names - Viking memory has been ok for me in the past :)

I am currently learning Norwegian, which is nice. :)

Dreadful Scathe
9th-February-2006, 11:41 AM
I've made considerable use this USB transfer cable, between different systems including between Windows 98 and Windows 2000 without a problem. I think I've used it on the base version of Windows 98 aswell as the second edition, but I could be wrong.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=76674

ooh nice, not used one, could be useful. It doesnt say how long the cable is, i expect 1.8m!

killingtime
9th-February-2006, 12:27 PM
{BTW pointing out the obvious, but digital cameras have storeage within them - you don't have to simply down-load images from them to the computer, you can also upload images/files/music from your computer to the camera, then plug it in to another PC and download them into that one.}

I would agree with azande's suggestion but Gadget has a good point that you can (if you are feeling extra cheap) just use the camera as a storage device.

Chicklet
9th-February-2006, 01:45 PM
I am not a slave to brand names - Viking memory has been ok for me in the past :)

I am currently learning Norwegian, which is nice. :)
but surely local people should be encouraged to buy local memory from a lovely local memory company???????????:innocent:

johnthehappyguy
16th-February-2006, 02:15 PM
Thanks very much for all of your advice.

John:nice:

Dreadful Scathe
16th-February-2006, 05:43 PM
but surely local people should be encouraged to buy local memory from a lovely local memory company???????????:innocent:

yes but vikings ALL wear basques )

Chicklet
16th-February-2006, 05:50 PM
yes but vikings ALL wear basques )
Yeah but they are men so it doesn't count.
Buy your memory from a lovely SMART company quoted on NASDAQ since last Friday as "SMOD" (*sound of penny dropping for anyone wondering why I've been quite so quiet of late* :blush: ) . This will help push up the share price, and make this Option holder very happy....oh and they work quite well too:rofl:

Dreadful Scathe
16th-February-2006, 06:20 PM
this company (http://www.smartm.com/product/productCat.cfm?productCatID=2) could benefit from having some cleavage on the front page :)

Chicklet
16th-February-2006, 06:56 PM
lovely looking dimms on the site but.