PDA

View Full Version : Dancing & Leading with One Arm

Asif
7th-February-2006, 02:13 PM
A couple of weeks ago i dislocated my right shoulder (stupid but also very spectacular skiing accident) and i am now wearing a brace.

I tried dancing with some friends on holiday but all i could manage was the blues shuffle (up close and personal, with feet in between each others). Even that was a bit of a problem as we couldn't stand in the usual position where our right feet were in between the others (looking over our partners right shoulder). Instead, we had to change positions so we were looking over each others left shoulders. Apart from the "problem" were my braced right hand was constantly dangerously close to my partners breasts all the time (they didn't seem to mind), it felt really wierd for a while but then seemed normal.

Anyway, yesterday i went dancing for the first time and attempted a couple of dances, still ONLY using my left arm! Wow - i managed a very decent MJ, an even more decent cha-cha and a pretty good WCS but i had to do pay a lot more thought to my arm & body positioning and tension to help with my leading.

Has anybody else ever had to (or even just tried) leading or even just dancing using just one hand? If not, try it - it is amazing what you learn about your own dancing. Obviously, i couldn't do any right-handed or double-handed moves but this didn't seem to affect the dances.

LEADS TRY THIS - Try doing a first move WITHOUT using your right hand!! It is possible!

ChrisA
7th-February-2006, 02:19 PM
LEADS TRY THIS - Try doing a first move WITHOUT using your right hand!! It is possible!
Ha, piece of cake.... :devil:

What is much more interesting is dancing with a lady that cannot use her right arm. :waycool:

(really sorry to hear about your injury though... :tears: )

Donna
7th-February-2006, 02:37 PM
Well, I have danced with a man who ONLY had ONE arm, so, if he can do it, so can anybody. Takes some getting used to though I'd imagine.
Have to say it was different.

Geordieed
7th-February-2006, 02:45 PM
I know what you mean about learning alot more. I tried doing some WCS on one foot last year when I injured my ankle. Plus in the last couple of months I have danced with two seperate women who had shoulder injuries. One of those ladies had surgery recently and I was even more aware of staying away from her shoulder area. I ended up using her hip more to put her into prep for a turn.

Get well soon Asif. Living with an injury is not nice.

Gadget
7th-February-2006, 02:49 PM
Ha, piece of cake.... :devil:

What is much more interesting is dancing with a lady that cannot use her right arm. :waycool:

(really sorry to hear about your injury though... :tears: )
Damnit, bet me to it. :yeah:

Don't know what I'd be like on one foot though :tears:

Msfab
7th-February-2006, 02:54 PM
Has anybody else ever had to (or even just tried) leading or even just dancing using just one hand? If not, try it - it is amazing what you learn about your own dancing. Obviously, i couldn't do any right-handed or double-handed moves but this didn't seem to affect the dances.

Ive tried only offering the one hand (left and right) during a dance, at first this confused my partner (someone ive danced with a lot) but after a few seconds things calmed down and had some really good dances! He then tried the same on me, he found he had to be a little more creative with his lead inventing variations and we some more really good dances.
Dancing with only my left hand/arm has enabled me to connect with it much better than before and in turn it has strengthened. Id definitely recommend it!

Wishing you a speedy recovery Asif!:flower:

TiggsTours
7th-February-2006, 02:58 PM
Ive tried only offering the one hand (left and right) during a dance, at first this confused my partner (someone ive danced with a lot) but after a few seconds things calmed down and had some really good dances! He then tried the same on me, he found he had to be a little more creative with his lead inventing variations and we some more really good dances.
Dancing with only my left hand/arm has enabled me to connect with it much better than before and in turn it has strengthened. Id definitely recommend it!

I know what you mean. I've known a few guys who have in the past led me by my left hand, it feels quite alien, but it teaches you an awful lot about following, and really helps you to improve your following technique with the right hand. I don't really know any guys who do that anymore, shame, I used to enjoy the challenge.

Donna
7th-February-2006, 03:40 PM
I'll tell you what WILL improve your following technique. Dance with David B if you get a chance!! He does this thing where you dance with your palms facing but not actually touching. It also helps the man to lead and to focus more on where the lady is being positioned and also helps the female focus more on her partner. It's great stuff and it's great fun! Try it!

Ghost
7th-February-2006, 03:49 PM
Food for thought; How would you lead a lady

Who can only use her left arm
Who can only use her right arm
Can't lift her arms above shoulder height
Can't do more than a 180 turn
So that she's always facing you
If you can only use your left arm
If you can only use your right arm
If she's got an injured foot
If she's drunk / tipsy / dizzy
If you're on unstable ground
If you're on hard ground eg busking
If she's in heels
If she's in trainers
If she's got long loose hair
If she's nervous

But then I think too much :whistle: (I've done all the above though)

Take care,
Christopher

TiggsTours
7th-February-2006, 03:52 PM
I'll tell you what WILL improve your following technique. Dance with David B if you get a chance!! He does this thing where you dance with your palms facing but not actually touching. It also helps the man to lead and to focus more on where the lady is being positioned and also helps the female focus more on her partner. It's great stuff and it's great fun! Try it!
Never done that with David B, but I've done it with a few other people, that's always a fun challenge too.

Puddy Tat
7th-February-2006, 04:13 PM
Sorry to hear about your accident, I hope you're not in too much pain now. :hug: Sounds like you've had some interesting dance experiences as I did when I had my left arm in plaster. It's amazing how an injury affects every movement of your body, including your balance. Get well soon and I'll look forward to seeing you in action.

Love, Kate :kiss:

TheTramp
7th-February-2006, 04:35 PM
I once danced for an hour with a broken wrist at the Casbah (slipped and fell on some water on the first dance of the evening, found out later I'd broken it). That was mostly right handed moves for the hour.

I've also danced with Petal when she had a problem with her right arm, just doing left handed moves for several dances.

Both times, I've quite enjoyed the challenge. Although, not the pain on the wrist one... :D

Ghost
7th-February-2006, 04:50 PM
Don't know what I'd be like on one foot though :tears:
I was thinking about this a while back. Does anyone know anyone who dances Ceroc in a wheelchair, or is completely blind etc?

Take care,
Christopher

senorita
7th-February-2006, 04:53 PM
I was thinking about this a while back. Does anyone know anyone who dances Ceroc in a wheelchair, or is completely blind etc?

Take care,
Christopher

Yes there is a gentleman that dances in a wheelchair, often I see him dancing at Ealing, Hammersmith & Oxford...but dont know his name...maybe someone could help out with his name?? :flower:

Donna
7th-February-2006, 05:10 PM

Take care,
Christopher

Now there's an idea! Wheechair ceroc!

Tessalicious
7th-February-2006, 05:19 PM
Yes there is a gentleman that dances in a wheelchair, often I see him dancing at Ealing, Hammersmith & Oxford...but dont know his name...maybe someone could help out with his name?? :flower:I should know but don't remember (I'm so bad with names - bizarrely I find Forum ID's easier to remember :sick: ). He's very good though - very original with ways to make seemingly impossible things work, but discerning enough to know that certain moves are too uncomfortable - and a lovely guy as well!

Asif
7th-February-2006, 05:39 PM

Take care,
Christopher

Serious Reply
I once saw a guy years ago, i think it may have been Letchworth, wearing dark glasses when he was dancing and my friend told me this guy was blind. I watched his dancing and was very impressed. His range of moves were limited (as i suppose they would be) but he looked like he had complete control and his partner was enjoying herself too. I often get beginners to close their eyes when i am teaching them to dance and it helps a lot.

Jokey Reply
I saw a blind guy dancing but the guide dog kept getting in the way!

Asif
7th-February-2006, 05:42 PM
Sorry to hear about your accident, I hope you're not in too much pain now. :hug: Sounds like you've had some interesting dance experiences as I did when I had my left arm in plaster. It's amazing how an injury affects every movement of your body, including your balance. Get well soon and I'll look forward to seeing you in action.

Love, Kate :kiss:
Thanks hun. Pains pretty much gone but it's just very uncomfortable now. I'm now at the stage of creataing pain as i've got to start exercising and strengthening my muscles again.

If you fancy a gentle (close!) dance with me, then i'll come out to play :nice:

WittyBird
7th-February-2006, 05:44 PM
I should know but don't remember (I'm so bad with names - bizarrely I find Forum ID's easier to remember :sick: ). He's very good though - very original with ways to make seemingly impossible things work, but discerning enough to know that certain moves are too uncomfortable - and a lovely guy as well!

Fred :grin:

David Bailey
7th-February-2006, 05:49 PM
I should know but don't remember (I'm so bad with names - bizarrely I find Forum ID's easier to remember :sick: ).
Fred, I believe (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showpost.php?p=152450&postcount=35), according to Clive? If it's the guy I'm thinking of, he was at Chiswick for the recent Swinging the Blues thing.

He's very good though - very original with ways to make seemingly impossible things work, but discerning enough to know that certain moves are too uncomfortable - and a lovely guy as well!
Plus, he had some really cool flashing lights on the bottom of the wheelchair. :drool:

EDIT: darn, too slow :(

WittyBird
7th-February-2006, 05:56 PM
EDIT: darn, too slow :(
Better believe it :whistle:

Donna
7th-February-2006, 06:03 PM
I remember a few years back in my line dance class, this guy in a wheelchair. He used to do all the dances. There was one dance whereby you stamp your feet three times and When it came to that bit, he used to lift up the front part of his chair and slam it on the floor three times! Everyone used to jump! Can be quiet frightening though if its a tight line....you could get your toes run over! Ouch!:tears:

Ghost
7th-February-2006, 06:53 PM
Interesting - any deaf dancers? That'd really be a test of a lead's musicality if they were the follow.

Thanks
Christopher

Donna
7th-February-2006, 07:09 PM
Interesting - any deaf dancers? That'd really be a test of a lead's musicality if they were the follow.

Thanks
Christopher

Know someone who is particially deaf but not completely deaf. He has no rhythm either but I just try and keep up and er...keep on smiling! :grin:

Tessalicious
7th-February-2006, 08:13 PM

Thanks
ChristopherYep, I know one of those as well, a social ballroom/latin dancer - he 'feels' the beat through the vibrations of the floor I think. I'm not entirely sure that it works very well, as it must be quite difficult to differentiate between beats as well as finding the beats from the random noise.

In the same group, a female dancer is blind - and although she finds latin difficult with anyone other than her regular partner, she is one of the best ballroom followers there. Perhaps this is partly because she can allow her head to incline to the left, as it is supposed to, rather than watching for oncoming dancefloor traffic (like I do :tears: ).

El Salsero Gringo
7th-February-2006, 09:11 PM

Thanks
ChristopherI danced with a deaf lady at Hammersmith a couple of weeks ago. I don't know if she was profoundly deaf or not though, but she was a much better dancer than some, and more in time with the music too.

And I've danced a Lindy class with a man with one arm (he was following)

TheTramp
8th-February-2006, 01:25 AM
Know someone who is particially deaf but not completely deaf. He has no rhythm either but I just try and keep up and er...keep on smiling! :grin:

I know lots of people who aren't deaf at all, and have no rhythm... :rolleyes:

senorita
8th-February-2006, 09:34 AM
Fred :grin:

Ah ha thats it!! thanks babe, you never let us down :hug: :flower:

Puddy Tat
8th-February-2006, 10:30 AM
Thanks hun. Pains pretty much gone but it's just very uncomfortable now. I'm now at the stage of creataing pain as i've got to start exercising and strengthening my muscles again.

If you fancy a gentle (close!) dance with me, then i'll come out to play :nice:

Mmm, that sounds nice! I plan to be at Fulham tomorrow, will you be there?

:kiss:

Donna
8th-February-2006, 11:05 AM

Yeah me too! I danced with this guy once who was a fab dancer but unfortunately had no rhythm. He knew it as well! He asked me to help him out, so I did and now everytime I dance with him, he's spot on. He just had to listen to the music more instead of thinking so much about what he was doing and count out loud that's all.:rolleyes:

Mary
8th-February-2006, 11:40 AM

Thanks
Christopher

There is a lady who has started coming to Uxbridge who lip reads - she asked us what the announcements were at the end of the class as the teachers mic makes it difficult to lip read. Something to be aware of.

I once did a thing with Evelyne Glennie (the percussionist) who is deaf. She has very clear speech (so I don't think she was always deaf), but she also lip reads. When she is playing she has the speakers face down on the floor so she can feel the music (literally).

BTW Fred did rather well in the intermediates at the last Brit Rock competition.

M

Donna
8th-February-2006, 11:42 AM
When she is playing she has the speakers face down on the floor so she can feel the music (literally).

That is truely amaaazing!

TiggsTours
8th-February-2006, 11:45 AM
:yeah:
And I've danced with a few deaf guys who have fantastic rhythm.

There is a lady who has started coming to Uxbridge who lip reads - she asked us what the announcements were at the end of the class as the teachers mic makes it difficult to lip read. Something to be aware of.
We had a guy coming to Ashtons for a while who was deaf, and could lip read, he really struggled in the group class, but when I danced with him in freestyle, he was great! He'd done ballroom and salsa before, and could dance really well. Once we were aware that he needed to be able to lip read, he got on perfectly OK in the review class, but still struggled in the main class, I guess in must be harder if you're leading. He's stopped coming now, which is a shame, as he was one of the best beginners that had come through our doors in ages!

LMC
8th-February-2006, 11:54 AM
It's been a while, but I've danced a couple of times with a deaf guy at Twyford, can't remember his name. Nice to dance with, the difficult bit was talking - because he obviously found it difficult to gauge the relative volumes, I often couldn't hear him.

Ghost
8th-February-2006, 03:57 PM
I once did a thing with Evelyne Glennie (the percussionist)
I've seen her play at the Proms - deeply impressed :worthy:

Christopher

Missy D
9th-February-2006, 08:40 AM
A couple of weeks ago i dislocated my right shoulder (stupid but also very spectacular skiing accident) and i am now wearing a brace.

Ah poor you Asif! I did try and come over and talk to you but, you were in deep conversation. I hope you are not in too much pain.

I watched you dance with Tigg Tours last night and you looked really good. I look forward to dancing with you soon.

TiggsTours
9th-February-2006, 02:09 PM
Ah poor you Asif! I did try and come over and talk to you but, you were in deep conversation. I hope you are not in too much pain.

I watched you dance with Tigg Tours last night and you looked really good. I look forward to dancing with you soon.
He certainly was! As I said to him last night, he may only have one arm, it may only even be his left arm, but he was still, by far, one of the best dancers in the room!:) :drool:

Donna
9th-February-2006, 02:21 PM
He certainly was! As I said to him last night, he may only have one arm, it may only even be his left arm, but he was still, by far, one of the best dancers in the room!:) :drool:

Must be a seriously HOT dancer when using both hands then! :grin:

TiggsTours
9th-February-2006, 02:28 PM
Must be a seriously HOT dancer when using both hands then! :grin::drool: :drool: :drool:

Donna
9th-February-2006, 02:33 PM
:drool: :drool: :drool:

Take that as a yes then!:D

Dizzy
9th-February-2006, 02:37 PM
Must be a seriously HOT dancer when using both hands then! :grin:

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Glad you are feeling better Asif :hug:.

Asif
9th-February-2006, 06:50 PM

Sorry hun, i did see you and did want to dance with you but i think i was in deep conversation with Martin at the time. Can i take a rain cheque?

:drool: :drool: :drool:
You're embarrassing me now! :blush: :blush:

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Glad you are feeling better Asif :hug:.
Where were you last night then? I wasn't going to dance but Tigg persuaded me to have a go. I decided to stick with girls i knew (my friend Helen, TiggsTours and Wittybird) but did ask a total stranger at one point. She looked concerned when she saw my arm in the sling but then couldn't thank me enough when we finished (i think she enjoyed it) - great what a compliment can do for ones ego :grin: .

BTW Tigg, How's your right butt cheek now?

Asif
9th-February-2006, 06:55 PM
Mmm, that sounds nice! I plan to be at Fulham tomorrow, will you be there?

:kiss:
Wasn't going to but i might just come along now.

:hug:

WittyBird
9th-February-2006, 06:58 PM
I decided to stick with girls i knew (my friend Helen, TiggsTours and Wittybird)

And what a delight it was :drool:

TiggsTours
10th-February-2006, 10:31 AM
BTW Tigg, How's your right butt cheek now?
It was the left one :blush:

Missy D
10th-February-2006, 10:51 AM
[QUOTE=Asif]Sorry hun, i did see you and did want to dance with you but i think i was in deep conversation with Martin at the time. Can i take a rain cheque?

QUOTE]

Of course! Promise i wont wear that beaded stuff either as i know you get whipped so hard when i spin round:blush:

Asif
10th-February-2006, 03:07 PM
Sorry hun, i did see you and did want to dance with you but i think i was in deep conversation with Martin at the time. Can i take a rain cheque?
Of course! Promise i wont wear that beaded stuff either as i know you get whipped so hard when i spin round:blush:
You wouldn't get far enough away from me to put in any fast spins so there's no chance of that happening at the moment. I'd be too busy making sure i don't bashed by the others around me!! (see here) (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7728)

Dizzy
10th-February-2006, 03:13 PM
Where were you last night then? I wasn't going to dance but Tigg persuaded me to have a go. I decided to stick with girls i knew (my friend Helen, TiggsTours and Wittybird) but did ask a total stranger at one point.

I didn't feel well so decided not to go - that was a big mistake now as I missed dancing with you :tears: :worthy:

Oh well, next time :hug: :wink:

LMC
10th-February-2006, 03:25 PM
Asif, you're such a lovely dancer that I'm sure everyone is queuing up for you even one-handed.

But I can't help thinking you should be resting and not risking further injury - get well soon.

TiggsTours
10th-February-2006, 03:27 PM
But I can't help thinking you should be resting and not risking further injury - get well soon.
Couldn't agree more, but after seeing him ski a whole blue run with his shoulder hanging a good 6 inches lower than it should be, and then the rest of the week skiing backwards down red runs, I think dancing is quite safe! :eek:

LMC
10th-February-2006, 03:30 PM
:eek:

It's all relative I suppose :rofl:

Asif
10th-February-2006, 05:19 PM
Asif, you're such a lovely dancer that I'm sure everyone is queuing up for you even one-handed.

Thanks LMC. After being bumped around yesterday, i might have to take your advice. I'm still tempted to go to Hammersmith though on Saturday so, if you're there, come and grab me for a dance. :hug: