PDA

View Full Version : Cold Little Birdie

WittyBird
4th-February-2006, 01:16 PM
Does anyone know anything about electrics?
The fuse box has blown and I can't get the RCD thing to stay down.

I have tried unplugging everything and resetting it but it not working.

I can get the RCD thing to stay down but it means no Kitchen sockets, no heating, no hot water and no cooker :angry:

Help much appreciated from a cold, hungry and smelly little birdie :rofl:

jacksondonut
4th-February-2006, 02:51 PM
I wish I could help.. the lights are always fusing in this place, but its just a case of switching the main switch under the stairs back on... thank goodness... mind you, never have got to the bottom of why the lights keep fusing in the first place.. they seem to go really regularly.. cost a fortune in bloody lightbulbs.!!

Sounds a bit more serious if the heating, lights and water are all involved.:eek: It may be a call out for the electricity board, maybe they will be able to give you some idea what the problem is, if you have a chat to someone on an emergency number. Thats what I would do, as I am no expert in these things, and I guess a phonecall would give you an idea of what to expect.. ie., whether you can get someone out over the weekend and how much it may cost ...:eek: :eek:

Wish i could help more, so best of luck, wear thermals, borrow your lovely friends bath and get a take away.. hopefully, that will keep you going until you know whats happening. Maybe, someone on the Forum, will be an electrician.. :clap:

Good Luck.
:hug: :hug:

Andy McGregor
4th-February-2006, 02:54 PM
Does anyone know anything about electrics?
The fuse box has blown and I can't get the RCD thing to stay down.

I have tried unplugging everything and resetting it but it not working.

I can get the RCD thing to stay down but it means no Kitchen sockets, no heating, no hot water and no cooker :angry:

Help much appreciated from a cold, hungry and smelly little birdie :rofl:I'm not an electrician but it seems to me that the RCD not staying down means that whatever tripped it in the first place is still doing so - that means you have a fault with one of your electrical appliances. Try unplugging or switching off at the socket (cooker, heating, etc) everything you've got on that circuit and resetting the RCD. Then plug everthing in or switch them on one by one until the RCD trips again - then you will know what appliance is doing it. You might find it easier if you plug in something with a light first - then the light going out will signal that the RCD has tripped.

If the RCD still trips when nothing is plugged into the circuit you've got a problem with your wiring or sockets - you need a electrician for that.

Tiggerbabe
4th-February-2006, 02:55 PM
I fused my lights earlier this week, which also meant that the heating went off as it's on the same circuit.
I have an old fuse box, with no trip switch. Thankfully I got an electrician to come out and he re-wired the 2 fuses that had blown (one had gone ages ago and my ex had changed them over) - it cost £15 for the 5 minutes he was here, but worth every penny as everything's working again :D

pjay
4th-February-2006, 02:57 PM
I'm not an electrician, but do know a little - pretty much if the RCD wont stay on this is a bad sign, and I'd generally call an electrician...

The RCD switching means that the electricity is finding a path it can go through which is the wrong one, one reason for the RCD is that often this wrong path is through a person (and we don't like it when that happens).

WittyBird
4th-February-2006, 03:01 PM
Try unplugging everything you've got on that circuit and resetting the RCD. Then plug everthing in one by one until the RCD trips again - then you will know what's doing it.

If the RCD still trips when nothing is plugged into the circuit you've got a problem with your wiring or sockets - you need a electrician for that.

Stop laughing, I know I'm stupid, But how do you find out whats plugged into the RCD?

the fuse box goes something like this.... from left to right.

main switch all circuits - 2 black knobs - up in correct position
down lights - up in correct position
up lights - up in correct position

water heater - down not working
sockets - up in correct position
kitchen sockets - down not working
cooker - down not working

RCD - up in correct position

Now if I switch all 3 not working ones up then RCD one goes down.
I have also tried doing them seperately to no avail :tears:

pjay
4th-February-2006, 03:12 PM
Stop laughing, I know I'm stupid, But how do you find out whats plugged into the RCD?

the fuse box goes something like this.... from left to right.

main switch all circuits - 2 black knobs - up in correct position
down lights - up in correct position
up lights - up in correct position

water heater - down not working
sockets - up in correct position
kitchen sockets - down not working
cooker - down not working

RCD - up in correct position

Now if I switch all 3 not working ones up then RCD one goes down.
I have also tried doing them seperately to no avail :tears:

Kinda hard to deal with it remotely... but you're saying that if you turn on any of the water heater, sockets or cooker then the RCD switches off and you loose all power in the house?

WittyBird
4th-February-2006, 03:15 PM
Kinda hard to deal with it remotely... but you're saying that if you turn on any of the water heater, sockets or cooker then the RCD switches off and you loose all power in the house?

Yes :tears:

pjay
4th-February-2006, 03:19 PM
Yes :tears:

What happens if you switch off everything else, then turn on one of those three things? (I know this state in itself is pretty useless, but just trying to debug a little more - although to be honest, I think that the advice I'll get to is call the electrician)

ducasi
4th-February-2006, 03:27 PM
Things to try...

The water heater and cooker will have a switch near them to turn them off. With them turned off, does the RCD still trip when you turn on those circuits?

Likewise, if all the kitchen sockets are off, can you turn on that circuit?

If the answer to these are both no, then you have a fault in the wiring. Presumably the water heater is in the kitchen? So all the wires for these three circuits will probably follow the same path to your kitchen... And somewhere along this path something bad has happened...

Sorry.

WittyBird
4th-February-2006, 03:31 PM
What happens if you switch off everything else, then turn on one of those three things? (I know this state in itself is pretty useless, but just trying to debug a little more - although to be honest, I think that the advice I'll get to is call the electrician)

You are a star - rep coming your way :hug:
Everything seems to be working now apart from the kitchen stuff I am just waiting to check on the hot water and radiators to see if they start warming up :flower:

pjay
4th-February-2006, 03:38 PM
Everything seems to be working now apart from the kitchen stuff I am just waiting to check on the hot water and radiators to see if they start warming up :flower:

So now everything is on, except for the sockets in the kitchen?

What this could be is a situation where you're trying to have too much turned on at the same time, and the circuit may not be able to cope (more common in older houses).

You may need to watch out for this happening at other times and work out what is on when it happens.

A few years ago my parents installed a spa pool - we found that if the spa was heating, the oven and a few hot-plates going as well as the water heater in the house (reasonably common around dinner time) then we were drawing too much - had to replace a few things, fortunately for them it was just the fuses that were the problem, not the wiring.

Tazmanian Devil
4th-February-2006, 03:43 PM
Hope you are not frozen any more sweetie I had visions of you like smilie 1 but to your laptop as opposed to a pole.
Glad you are now a happy birdie :clap:

WittyBird
4th-February-2006, 04:29 PM
So now everything is on, except for the sockets in the kitchen?

Yep - everything is on :clap:
Although heating and hot water not working as yet, but I figure if I give it a kick and wait then it will start to work.

I now have icicles appearing on my body :rofl:

dee
4th-February-2006, 04:43 PM
You should call in a Heating Plumbing man and charged the bill to your new landlord :devil:

Sorry Stew, love you really :flower:

Andy McGregor
4th-February-2006, 04:44 PM
Everything seems to be working now apart from the kitchen stuff I am just waiting to check on the hot water and radiators to see if they start warming up :flower:Hey! Don't I get any rep? pjay said exactly what I did - but just a bit better worded.

At the moment I've trying to visualise the icicles hanging from Witty :what:

WittyBird
4th-February-2006, 04:47 PM
Hey! Don't I get any rep? pjay said exactly what I did - but just a bit better worded.

I tried but didn't think you would appreciate a purple one, so I am just waiting for the 24 hour thingy :flower:

At the moment I've trying to visualise the icicles hanging from Witty :what:

Imagine tuning in a radio, like the sort they had when you were a kid helping Noah build the Ark :rofl:

Raphael
4th-February-2006, 05:32 PM
Just give me a phone call 07957-432-981 I am an electrical engineer, i should be able to help you over the phone.

Love

Raphael XX:nice:

WittyBird
4th-February-2006, 06:19 PM
Just give me a phone call
:worthy: :flower: :worthy: A big Thank you :worthy:

Missy D
4th-February-2006, 09:04 PM
Expect a big electrical Stewart 38 as i have taken Raphaels number and so has Dee. :flower:

stewart38
5th-February-2006, 02:47 AM
You should call in a Heating Plumbing man and charged the bill to your new landlord :devil:

Sorry Stew, love you really :flower:

Landlord has just returned from a weekend away :tears:

There is now boiling water left on for 48hrs (thanks WB) , not sure if thats working properly the water was 'too hot'

Now trying cooker, that works, no other lights go off

were left with the heating not working although the electrical part to the heating is working

not sure if its a plumber now or electrician

i look at problem harder , WB seems to be working so ill look at other things

WittyBird
5th-February-2006, 02:57 AM
i look at problem harder , WB seems to be working so ill look at other things
I am busy working my way through toast and marmite :drool:

stewart38
5th-February-2006, 03:06 AM
I am busy working my way through toast and marmite :drool:

MAN has been back in house less then a hour :whistle:

Heating now sorted

when the power went off for a long while i guess the 'pilot light' went out. Thats been put back on we have heating . INSTRUCTIONS at the unit were fairly clear

still dont like noise coming from the hot water boiler

WittyBird
5th-February-2006, 03:09 AM
MAN has been back in house less then a hour :whistle:

Maybe so, but the nagging he does feels like he been here all weekend. :rofl:
Worse than a bl00dy woman I tell ya.

Next time the power goes off, the fish can die :angry:

drathzel
5th-February-2006, 08:46 PM
Maybe so, but the nagging he does feels like he been here all weekend. :rofl:
Worse than a bl00dy woman I tell ya.

Next time the power goes off, the fish can die :angry: