PDA

View Full Version : Excuses!

Jon
23rd-February-2003, 05:45 PM
I thought it might be fun to hear what you guys and gals say when you don't what to dance with someone after being asked.

Last night I had an excuse from a lady who said "her foot hurt". But then it seemed to heal pretty quickly!

I myself have used "I need to have a drink" and thats because I needed it!, but I usually remember to go and ask them for a dance later.

TheTramp
23rd-February-2003, 05:59 PM
Hmmm.

I think the best excuse I've ever been offered, was by a girl who couldn't dance with me, 'because I have a dance class tomorrow'.

Of course, I did ask her if she would mind dancing with a beginner :D

The funny thing was, that I then went and found someone else, and danced right in front of her, and a couple of tracks later, she asked me for a dance :rolleyes: (Of course, I said yes).

Steve

Emma
23rd-February-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Jon

Last night I had an excuse from a lady who said "her foot hurt". But then it seemed to heal pretty quickly!

I had to go and hide behind the speakers for a bit last night because my feet hurt so much...:)

horsey_dude
24th-February-2003, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by TheTramp
Hmmm.

Of course, I did ask her if she would mind dancing with a beginner :D

The funny thing was, that I then went and found someone else, and danced right in front of her, and a couple of tracks later, she asked me for a dance :rolleyes: (Of course, I said yes).

Steve

Do you think that after seeing you dancing she decided you really were a beginner and therfore o.k. to dance with? (just kidding)

TheTramp
24th-February-2003, 08:22 AM
HD,

I think you've got it in one! :D

Steve

Graham W
24th-February-2003, 03:34 PM
Excuses - a teacher who I asked for a dance told me she couldnt cos of her 'back' - wow a funny complaint for someone in a dance class. Sure enuf two dances later it had miracolusly "healed"..with soemone else. Anyway we dance together when we see each other these days :-) Like the Trammp says the best thing is to work on being a good dancer & when someone does brush u off with a cheesey excuse show em with somone else ..tee hee

G

Dancing Veela
24th-February-2003, 05:12 PM
I never make excuses - I would always dance with anyone who asked me (I may try to avoid some people but I'd still say yes if they asked) - I may postpone them until the next song if I really didn't like the music or if I was totally out of breath!

Lou
24th-February-2003, 05:57 PM
My only excuse...

"But it's Shania"!

:wink:

TheTramp
24th-February-2003, 06:35 PM
And that is indeed a great Excuse Lou.

Although, could be expanded to include Toploader and The Mavericks too I feel....

Steve

Heather
25th-February-2003, 12:25 AM
...........on this. I'd never refuse a dance with anyone who asked me, but I have been known to suddenly head off to the ladies, or the bar when someone I'd rather not dance with is heading in my direction!!!! However, I'd still dance with them if they asked!!!!
I have been known to say, 'I hate this record !!!', when asked to dance to something I loath and detest, or ' This is far too fast', when Scot plays Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy,but most folks know NOT to even ask me when he plays that!!!:wink:
Unfortunately Dave Hancock didn't know that , but I did dance with him to it on Saturday at Marco's, I crawled off the floor and poor Nial, had to pick me up!!!!!!:D :D:sorry
Generally, if someone asks, I'll dance, and if I don't like the record, I'll either grin and bear it, if it's someone I don't know, and if it's someone I do, I'll ask if we can have the next record instead.
:kiss:
Heather,
XX

Gus
25th-February-2003, 10:41 AM
Of course there is always the highly effective, "I'm not dancing with you becaue you are dangerous, show no regard for safety, rhythem, partners joints, personal hygene and you are also an arrogant pratt!" Heard something similar once (justifiably) said. A bit of honesty can sometimes be invaluable.:grin:

TheTramp
25th-February-2003, 11:11 AM
Of course there is always the highly effective, "I'm not dancing with you becaue you are dangerous, show no regard for safety, rhythem, partners joints, personal hygene and you are also an arrogant pratt!" Heard something similar once (justifiably) said. A bit of honesty can sometimes be invaluable.It wasn't true though. I have rhythm..... :tears:

Steve

David Franklin
25th-February-2003, 11:42 AM
Original post from Gus:
Of course there is always the highly effective, "I'm not dancing with you becaue you are dangerous, show no regard for safety, rhythem, partners joints, personal hygene and you are also an arrogant pratt!"

Tramp's reply:
It wasn't true though. I have rhythm..... :tears: Ah, but do you have rhythem...?

Besides, your partner shouldn't be smoking joints on the dancefloor anyhow!

Dave

TheTramp
25th-February-2003, 11:44 AM
Oh yes David, I have rhythem too!!! In spades. :D

Steve

Dance Demon
25th-February-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Gus
Of course there is always the highly effective, "I'm not dancing with you becaue you are dangerous, show no regard for safety, rhythem, partners joints, personal hygene and you are also an arrogant pratt!" Heard something similar once (justifiably) said. A bit of honesty can sometimes be invaluable.:grin:

So......who was it that said this to you Gus?:wink:

PeterL
25th-February-2003, 06:58 PM
I don't think you should ever refuse to dance with someone if they have no rythym, I have been told many a times that when I started I had no rythym. I spent too much time thinking about the moves to realise there was music in the background.
I now consider it an nvestment to dance with someone who is beggining and watching there feet etc, because when they get good they will look out for me to dance with.

As far as personal hygiene is concerned ceroc can be a very hot environment and we all learn to take along towel and deodorant, but it would be nice if people politely pointed out when you need to refresh it.

The only people I would consider refusing a dance to (but never have, probably because they never ask me anyway) are people who when I dance with them they appear to be doing completely there own thing, I know that the best dancers give the ladies space to do there own thing but they should wait to be given space because the guy is meant to lead and when you take that away from him (in my case anyway) I can no longer dance for toffee and no longer enjoy it. These are normally people that would never ask me to dance anyway and I know what is coming when I get a begrudged yes with a comment like "it's too fast". I think I would prefer they said no so I could spend the dance dancing with someone who enjoyed dancing with me and allowed me to enjoy it. (ODA)

Dance Demon
25th-February-2003, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by PeterL

As far as personal hygiene is concerned ceroc can be a very hot environment and we all learn to take along towel and deodorant, but it would be nice if people politely pointed out when you need to refresh it.

I'm lucky Peter, in that I attend with my wife , who keeps me well informed when it is time for a t shirt change. I have always come along with my bag filled with spare t shirts and deodorant, because as well as it being nice for the ladies to dance with a guy in a dry shirt who smells nice, it is also more comfortable for me. I think there is nothing worse than dancing in a dripping wet shirt.
Unfortunately,my wife informs me that not all guys are like this, and there are a few that she tries her hardest to avoid. Shame really that some guys miss out on dancing with some really nice girls, because they don't pay enough attention to personal hygiene:(

PeterL
25th-February-2003, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Dance Demon
I have always come along with my bag filled with spare t shirts and deodorant, because as well as it being nice for the ladies to dance with a guy in a dry shirt who smells nice, it is also more comfortable for me. I think there is nothing worse than dancing in a dripping wet shirt.
(

ditto, you should see my washing mountain each week. Though I sometimes feel like I am a lost cause because to stay dry all night I would have to change my T-Shirt every dance.:) I have learnt to avoid doing too many combs because after 2 minutes on the dance floor my partner wouldn't appreciate it fresh t - shirt or not.

TheTramp
26th-February-2003, 01:13 AM
I have learnt to avoid doing too many combs Aha. You obviously don't belong the the Franck school of dancing then!! :D

Steve

horsey_dude
26th-February-2003, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by PeterL
I have learnt to avoid doing too many combs because after 2 minutes on the dance floor my partner wouldn't appreciate it fresh t - shirt or not.

Are you kidding? combs are great for wiping sweat off (especially if she has long sleeves... ...just kidding).

I fear I am destined for unpopularity... as far as I am concerned getting sweaty while dancing is part of the fun. It is stale sweat that smells bad. I always brush my teeth before class and I will shower if I have been sweaty during the day so if I am still too smelly then I am sure that someone will tactfully point it out. If you shower every day the body odour from a couple of hours dancing should not be an issue.

DavidB
26th-February-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by horsey_dude
Are you kidding? combs are great for wiping sweat off (especially if she has long sleeves... And if her hands get covered in sweat in the process, make sure you follow the comb with some sort of wrap. Then she can wipe her hands on her own clothes. Not much point in getting her to mop your brow if she then dries her hands on your clothes...

David

PeterL
26th-February-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by horsey_dude
If you shower every day the body odour from a couple of hours dancing should not be an issue.

I agree there. I always shower directly before ceroc. However
I still avoid close contact when I am in need of a t-shirt change. I may not be smelly but soaking a girls arm is never popular. :(

Graham
26th-February-2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by DavidB
And if her hands get covered in sweat in the process, make sure you follow the comb with some sort of wrap. Then she can wipe her hands on her own clothes. Not much point in getting her to mop your brow if she then dries her hands on your clothes...

David

Another good tip was brought to mind at Monday's class in Glasgow when Kathy (sp?) taught a duckspin move - great for clearing a dripping brow if you choose the right partner! :wink: :devil:

Siobhan (Forum Plant)
26th-February-2003, 02:31 PM
We women know about this lads, so we do things like letting go of your hand JUST before it hits the 'back of neck sweat zone'!