PDA

View Full Version : Whats a fair compensation figure ?

stewart38
2nd-February-2006, 05:30 PM
This got me thinking

Minor details Barry, but Stephen Waldorf wasn't shot dead, he was injured, and not only was he driving the mini of David Martin, the armed man that was subject to a massive manhunt at the time, but was wearing the guy's clothes and a wig to look like him, in order to provide an alibi for him. Martin's girlfriend was also in the car at the time. Hardly the behaviour of a totally innocent bystander, albeit not something to be shot for, I'd agree. He got £150k compensation.

A teacher left traumatised when a thug burst into her school and threaten to shoot her won £330,000 payout recently

the reward is believe to be the highest ever for stress in the class room

she claimed council had failed to protect her

Note she wasnt physically hurt just threaten

I think this is very high and i haven't got a clue about her 'condition'

-----------------
The thug got £200,000 which seems more reasonable
--------------------

Barry Shnikov
2nd-February-2006, 06:04 PM
I think this is very high and i haven't got a clue about her 'condition'

Personal injury law is a bit of a mystery to me, which is why I have avoided it.

However, in England and Wales you don't get much for pain and suffering. Serious injuries are 'compensated' for by relatively small amounts - a few hundred, a few thousand.

When the figures start to go astronomical is when the victim's earning potential is affected. Take an accountant in his mid-20s, say working for Ernst and Young, who suffers an injury which prevents him from following his profession - brain injury, perhaps. The court will take into account the following: his academic record, his progress within the firm to date, his forecast progress within the firm, including his chances of becoming partner and so forth. Allowing for all those factors, the court will work out how much money he would have earned in his lifetime. Then it will apply negative factors - the chance that he might not have made partner, the fact that he won't have to pay income tax, and most importantly, his potential income given his new circumstances - he's expected to earn what he can, whatever that might be - da de da de daa...

This can easily reach 6 figure sums in no time at all.

All we can do is hope that this teacher you are on about was not 'putting it on'. If she's genuinely unable to follow her profession, 20 years at £20,000 (less deductions) might be £300,000 or thereabouts.

In my personal view, Stephen Waldorf should have been entitled to some punitive damages because being shot by f**kwit policemen is not one of the ordinary hazards of life!

Dreadful Scathe
3rd-February-2006, 01:00 AM
compensation culture...nah....people who try to commit suicide and have their life saved can successfully sue the nhs (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1905689,00.html) - sounds perfectly reasonable to me....wibble :eek:

Barry Shnikov
5th-February-2006, 06:55 PM
compensation culture...nah....people who try to commit suicide and have their life saved can successfully sue the nhs (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1905689,00.html) - sounds perfectly reasonable to me....wibble :eek:

Following the link, I read that her counsel said: "Her thinking was rigid and simplistic..."

I am SO tempted to link this with the 'Is this reasonable?" thread...