PDA

View Full Version : Coming up to the Isle of Skye/Mull

ElaineB
2nd-February-2006, 01:48 PM
Simon and I are coming up the Ce Roc Champs again this year and are thinking of extending our holiday over to the West Coast. I have been to Skye before, so no suprises there, but does anyone know of any beaches on the West Coast that just must be visited? I remember going to one that was just littered with shells and no people. Suggestions please....... (sits back and awaits the usual interesting comments!).

Thanks

Elaine

Little Monkey
2nd-February-2006, 03:12 PM
Hi!

As you already know, Isle of Skye is full of gorgeous beaches. One of my favourites (although not a sandy beach, a stoney/bouldery one) is at Flodigarry on north-east coast of Skye. The beach is littered with fossils, and I always get carried away looking for them, and spend hours there! The Flodigarry hotel is also a fab place to eat, had a seafood platter there a couple of years ago that was to die for.:drool: And if you want budget accommodation, the Flodigarry Hostel is very highly recommended.

Another beach that springs to mind is at Gairloch. Beautiful golden sands..... And you can go for a little romantic outing to the nearby Loch Ewe, and Isle of Ewe....:rofl:

LM:flower:

Allez-Cat
2nd-February-2006, 03:56 PM
[QUOTE=ElaineB]beaches on the West Coast that just must be visited /QUOTE]

If you want to “get away from it all”, try the Ardnamurchan Peninsular (the sticky-out bit of the mainland just to the north of the Isle of Mull). The coastline is sprinkled with beaches, some shingle, some pure fine white sand: Kentra and Sanna in particular. It’s steeped in history - Bonnie Prince Charlie and the Jacobite Rising - and there’s lots to see without risking overload. Base yourselves at Acharacle at the foot of Loch Shiel, and work your way round. Look out for a spot referred to locally as “Commando Beach”, so called because the Marines used to practise landings there during WW2 (no reference to lack of underwear!), which is in the bay called Camas an Lighe at E(1)613N(7)690 on OS map 40.

Mull is gorgeous too, with fantastic sandy beaches at Fidden and Calgary and, of course, over on Iona.

Dreadful Scathe
2nd-February-2006, 04:24 PM
As my parents live on the Isle of Skye I can sort you out for accomodation (they run a b&b). Beaches : there is a nice out of the way stoney beach at glendale in the west of skye that you need to walk over a field or 2 to get to - that has lots of fossils like the flodigarry one. Dunvegan is quite nice too and Broadford, where my parents live, has quite a large sandy beach.

ElaineB
3rd-February-2006, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the information Guys! :flower: I will now get an O/S map and search out your suggestions. Can't wait - well no actually I can, for slightly warmer climes! :D

Elaine

Barry Shnikov
3rd-February-2006, 09:02 PM
to the nearby Loch Ewe, and Isle of Ewe

Is there, perchance, a Sea Ewe, Jimmy?

DangerousCurves
4th-February-2006, 03:24 AM
Skye is my favourite place in the world. I try to get up there every year just to recharge the batteries and feel grounded. There is a lovely little secluded beach at Varkasaig, which nobody ever seems to go to. The Coral Bay near Dunvegan is lovely too - though a little busier in high season. There is a wonderful walk from Elgol to Camasunary, which involves a little scrambling where the path merges a bit with the cliff - but you get amazing sea views all the way, and see no-one else all day. You also end up at an amazing circular loch which looks like a fake volcano in a James Bond movie!

Food wise, if you can, book a table at the Three Chimneys - the best restaraunt on the Island. The Old School House in Dunvegan is great too - and there is a lovely place near the harbour walk in Portree which serves Latin American and other spicy goodies (sorry, name temporarily escapes me, will post it if I can remember).The fish restaurants in Stein are great too - serving the days catch fresh from the harbour.

Hope this helps!

DangerousCurves
4th-February-2006, 04:33 AM
Forgot to say.... (result of posting so late at night!) .... on the mainland, if you get as far north as Ullapool there is an absolutely fantastic restaraunt called the Altnaharry Inn. It is hideously expensive but is reputed to be one of the top three in the country. I understand that it is on an island and you have to arrive on a pier (having booked in advance) where there is a telephone which you use to call the hotel and they send a launch for you. They only serve 12 or so people each night, and it is a fixed menu which runs into many courses. Two foody friends went for a special birthday celebration and said it was the most exquisite dining experience they had ever had... :yum: