PDA

View Full Version : Is the forum going too far south ?

stewart38
1st-February-2006, 05:27 PM
Recent weekenders whos doing what tend to be all based around whats going on 'down south'

Probably 30 regular forum contributors come from 'down south' lets say south of Daventry but a fair bit north of Brighton

Should the forum be renamed from

ceroc scotland forum to

ceroc down south + bits form else where forum :whistle:

Cruella
1st-February-2006, 05:31 PM
Stewart38 lights the blue touchpaper and scarpers.:devil:

stewart38
1st-February-2006, 05:32 PM
Stewart38 lights the blue touchpaper and scarpers.:devil:

Its only a observation not a crtisicsm my southern friend :nice:

TAXI !!!!!

Feelingpink
1st-February-2006, 05:35 PM
Stewart38 lights the blue touchpaper and scarpers.:devil:And I thought from the title he was just being smutty... :devil:

stewart38
1st-February-2006, 05:41 PM
And I thought from the title he was just being smutty... :devil:

Are you angry i wasnt smutty ??

Andy McGregor
1st-February-2006, 05:42 PM
Recent weekenders whos doing what tend to be all based around whats going on 'down south'I think there's threads about stuff that happens North of the border - I don't read them as it's a bit far for a day trip.

Plus, S38 is a complete Southerner coming from Hemel Hempstead. I really can't understand what he's on about. Maybe the forum could be re-named "S38 says stuff you can't understand" :wink:

Dreadful Scathe
1st-February-2006, 05:45 PM
Hey I want to be in his gang...

"The Incomprehensible S38's"

...oooh need to make a t-shirt :)

stewart38
1st-February-2006, 05:49 PM
I think there's threads about stuff that happens North of the border - I don't read them as it's a bit far for a day trip.

Plus, S38 is a complete Southerner coming from Hemel Hempstead. I really can't understand what he's on about. Maybe the forum could be re-named "S38 says stuff you can't understand" :wink:

Im just north of Watford that makes me Midlands I think :nice:

But i was born a southerner (Kingston)

Andy McGregor
1st-February-2006, 05:49 PM
"The Incomprehensible S38'sCan I have "it's all a storm in a S38 c-cup" on mine?

Andy McGregor
1st-February-2006, 05:50 PM
Im just north of Watford that makes me Midlands I think :nice: The whole of the Home Counties is still very, very Southern IMHO.

WittyBird
1st-February-2006, 05:50 PM
Can I have "it's all a storm in a S38 c-cup" on mine?
:yeah: :rofl: :rofl:

El Salsero Gringo
1st-February-2006, 05:51 PM
IMaybe the forum could be re-named "S38 says stuff you can't understand" :wink:This Forum has never been hot on accuracy - I don't see any reason to start now.

TheTramp
1st-February-2006, 05:51 PM
Going?? :whistle:

Piglet
1st-February-2006, 05:53 PM
Nah! It ain't going far enough south yet!

Franck's forum is gonna conquer the world!

(after all it looks like its already infiltrated Russia! :rofl: )

stewart38
1st-February-2006, 05:58 PM

(after all it looks like its already infiltrated Russia! :rofl: )

I think they should keep 'ceroc' in the title

"Ceroc, Franck's forum is gonna conquer the world, forum" :yeah:

Feelingpink
1st-February-2006, 06:05 PM
Are you angry i wasnt smutty ??Angry? Nah - I'm chilling with some vanilla candles and have a large vase of stargazer lillies to look at.

But if you want to talk about a map of Tasmania, be my guest.:wink:

Andy McGregor
1st-February-2006, 06:45 PM
Angry? Nah - I'm chilling with some virgin's candles and have a large vase of stargazer lillets to look at.
Smutty enough? :sick:

Chicklet
1st-February-2006, 06:52 PM
Stewart, does this thread mean you still haven't discovered that you can only see part of the forum???.....and that access to the bit through the fur coats out of the back of the wardrobe is only available to those who can show Franck a Scottish utility bill???

dee
1st-February-2006, 07:06 PM

Can i have "im all in a stew over Stew" on mine? :yum:

Feelingpink
1st-February-2006, 07:20 PM

(after all it looks like its already infiltrated Russia! :rofl: )Hmm, quite. And given this 'victory', wouldn't it be prudent to stop right here?

David Bailey
1st-February-2006, 08:01 PM
OK, going back to the point of the thread - I agree, sometimes it seems too much like everyone lives within 50 miles of Central London or something (and yes, ESG's that joke already).

I don't know if that's a problem or not - but I suspect it may alienate contributors from outside that area, who may feel they have nothing to contribute as everyone's talking about Stuff Wot Appens Darn Sarf.

If this is a problem, then maybe one structural answer would be to subdivide the "social events" section into different geographical areas - that makes sense, in that social events clearly do happen in fixed locations... Maybe "Scotland" / "England" / "Other"? I don't think that'd be divisive, any more than those divisions are in real life, and it'd allow people to at least confine chatter into specific areas.

Dance Demon
1st-February-2006, 09:00 PM

I'll have S38...The Crazy Russian:whistle:

Gadget
1st-February-2006, 11:00 PM
If this is a problem, then maybe one structural answer would be to subdivide the "social events" section into different geographical areas
It's not a new idea - I came up with it years ago... Was shouted down because people only need to look at the title to know where it is.

(But there is a little bit more forum activity now than there was back then :rolleyes: )

Heather
2nd-February-2006, 08:50 AM
Stewart, does this thread mean you still haven't discovered that you can only see part of the forum???.....and that access to the bit through the fur coats out of the back of the wardrobe is only available to those who can show Franck a Scottish utility bill???

:rofl:
:yeah: :yeah:

Heather,
XX

(If only!!!)

Andy McGregor
2nd-February-2006, 09:01 AM
Stewart, does this thread mean you still haven't discovered that you can only see part of the forum???.....and that access to the bit through the fur coats out of the back of the wardrobe is only available to those who can show Franck a Scottish utility bill???And there's a part of the Forum that's only seen by certain Southerners - it's the singleton's sofa. When they started it they made it so difficult to understand and basically uninteresting that everyone else stopped looking. Nowadays they've discussing matters of great importance on there - but the rest of us will never, ever, know...

Heather
2nd-February-2006, 09:02 AM
I don't know if that's a problem or not - but I suspect it may alienate contributors from outside that area, who may feel they have nothing to contribute as everyone's talking about Stuff Wot Appens Darn Sarf.

Many Scots have stopped contributing or even logging on precisely for this reason !( Not my opinion , this is based on talking to people I know who used to be regular contributers) A bit disappointing really, but quite understandable.
I wouldn't presume to be aware of exact figures, but at a rough guess 80% of the current regular contributers to the Forum are from south of the border.
This is not confined to the Social events area either.:tears: :tears:

A bit sad really as it is supposed to be the CerocSCOTLAND Forum!

:hug:
Heather,
xx

ducasi
2nd-February-2006, 09:07 AM
And there's a part of the Forum that's only seen by certain Southerners - it's the singleton's sofa. ... I guess you must have the Scots and N. Irish on the sofa on your ignore list... :rolleyes:

Andy McGregor
2nd-February-2006, 09:09 AM
I wouldn't presume to be aware of exact figures, but at a rough guess 80% of the current regular contributers to the Forum are from south of the border.This is probably representative of the split of dancers between Scotland and "everywhere else".

I think it's a shame that the Scots do not contribute to their own Forum in the numbers they used to. However, it might be that some people have stopped for other reasons but used the invading English as a convenient/understandable reason that they give to anyone who asks. After all, the "invading English" causing a problem is a reason that all Scots will agree with. At least they're not taking our brides on our wedding nights :whistle:

ducasi
2nd-February-2006, 09:10 AM
If this is a problem, then maybe one structural answer would be to subdivide the "social events" section into different geographical areas - that makes sense, in that social events clearly do happen in fixed locations... Maybe "Scotland" / "England" / "Other"? I don't think that'd be divisive, any more than those divisions are in real life, and it'd allow people to at least confine chatter into specific areas. And where would the Southport (et al) discussions go?

Occasionally things happen in England that are of interest to everybody.

Andy McGregor
2nd-February-2006, 09:12 AM
I guess you must have the Scots and N. Irish on the sofa on your ignore list... :rolleyes:Nope, I've just got Sinner on my ignore list. I've no idea who's on the sofa. Ages ago I left in a huff because they made me sit on the floor and it was covered in crumbs, crisps, popcorn and trodden in chocolates. What you need is a labrador to hoover them up :flower:

fletch
2nd-February-2006, 09:31 AM
Im just north of Watford that makes me Midlands I think :nice:

But i was born a southerner (Kingston)

No chance!!!

You aint no midlander:na:

:flower:

Piglet
2nd-February-2006, 09:31 AM
There's room for all of us but I would like to hear more from the Scottish people on here.

To all you lovely Scots: come on in - the water's not as chilly as its reputed to be! :flower:

David Bailey
2nd-February-2006, 09:59 AM
Many Scots have stopped contributing or even logging on precisely for this reason !( Not my opinion , this is based on talking to people I know who used to be regular contributers) A bit disappointing really, but quite understandable.
I wouldn't presume to be aware of exact figures, but at a rough guess 80% of the current regular contributers to the Forum are from south of the border.

Well, I'm a bit biased being a nancy southerner, but I'd have thought that pretty much most topics (e.g. dance technique, Why CerocTM is Cr@p At XXX, Singletons Sofa etc.) are fairly location-neutral; presumably the more contributors, the more healthy the forum is as a whole? If you doubt that, look at some other ceroc forums in the UK...

On the other hand, it's worth remembering, especially with social events, that this internet thingy is worldwide, and perhaps it's worth keeping that in mind for any and all posts. It's easy to forget sometimes...

Personally, I've made a resolution this year to talk about dance as much as possible, and to stay clear of most of the social threads - works for me, as I'm naturally anti-social anyway, and most social threads bore me. :whistle:

stewart38
2nd-February-2006, 10:49 AM
There's room for all of us but I would like to hear more from the Scottish people on here.

To all you lovely Scots: come on in - the water's not as chilly as its reputed to be! :flower:

I may have missed it but have never heard whats going on over a weekend within 100 miles of Newcastle

My friend is always going up there getting pissed. I could leave him in the pub and find somewhere to dance :what:

David Bailey
2nd-February-2006, 11:00 AM
And where would the Southport (et al) discussions go?.
Errr... OK then:
- "Social: Scotland"
- "Social: England"
- "Social: Weekenders"
- "Social: Other"

How's that?

I'm feeling another poll coming along...

LMC
2nd-February-2006, 11:16 AM
Other is too vague. How about

Social: herding cats

for non-dance related stuff?

drathzel
2nd-February-2006, 11:57 AM
Have we not discussed this before?:confused: or am i having deja vu?

Lynn
2nd-February-2006, 12:17 PM
I guess you must have the Scots and N. Irish on the sofa on your ignore list... :rolleyes:Yeah, there's two of us N Irish there you know!

Piglet
2nd-February-2006, 02:04 PM
I may have missed it but have never heard whats going on over a weekend within 100 miles of Newcastle

Well if you look at the opening Ceroc Scotland webpage all the details are there - I guess we Scots just don't like starting threads on them for some reason. I think most of us are shy, or just like to be flies on the walls of the posts.

But come up to Aberdeen in February for the fantastic Beach Ballroom event - there is a thread on here about that.

Otherwise there's a party on in one of the cities once a month - Aberdeen's is the third Saturday of the month - the first Saturday and the last Saturday of the month are held in either Edinburgh or Glasgow - they have a set Saturday, but I can never remember which is which and usually only go along when I've been invited by a lovely dancer :D cos both are much too far away to drive back from at the end of the night. Think Inverness might be getting their own Saturday soon and perhaps Dundee? And there's the odd party in Stirling. Every Friday night we've now got a ceroc night in Brechin and that is fantastic! There are also other nights that get a mention on here that aren't run by ceroc.

If you fancy a trip to Scotland I'm sure that there are enough forumites on here to make you feel welcome and help you find the best venues to go to. :hug:

ducasi
2nd-February-2006, 02:16 PM
Errr... OK then:
- "Social: Scotland"
- "Social: England"
- "Social: Weekenders"
- "Social: Other"

How's that? Getting better...

The two hot spots for forum memberships seem to be Scotland and London. So I'd pull them out as special cases from the general, giving a General events forum, a Scottish events forum and a London events forum.

That's just an idea though, with its own flaws...

I'm feeling another poll coming along... I'd been thinking of posting a new thread asking folks how the forums could be revamped or rearranged to improve the organisation. (Just for my own curiosity, though maybe Franck would also be interested.)

The first things I'd do is rename "Intermediate Corner" to be "Technique and Style", and merge the book club and big brother forums into chit-chat, and bring fun & games into the discussion lounge.

Actually, I'd want to do a whole lot more than that, but I'll wait until I get round to that thread before going further...

Scot
2nd-February-2006, 02:25 PM
There is a danger that the number of categories becomes too large and I suspect that this will put people off more than attract.

Gadget
2nd-February-2006, 02:44 PM
...but I'd have thought that pretty much most topics are fairly location-neutral;...
I agree - most topics are, it's the chit-chat that goes on within them that is normally bias towards Down Souf:
"did you get to that dance in Hamersmith?" "thanks for the dance at withemstone, will I see you next tuesday?" "i danced in brighton; were you there? it was great!"...

I think the perceived problem would be reduced if people used PM's for this sort of stuff rather than the open forum.

As to why you don't hear about what a great time all us Scotts have? Because that's normal. We would comment if it was really amazing or if we had a grumble; but since the quality of dancing and freindlyness is so high all the time, there is no need to. :D :clap:

drathzel
2nd-February-2006, 02:55 PM
As to why you don't hear about what a great time all us Scotts have? Because that's normal. We would comment if it was really amazing or if we had a grumble; but since the quality of dancing and freindlyness is so high all the time, there is no need to. :D :clap:

:yeah: :clap: :yeah: :clap: :yeah: :clap: :yeah: :clap:

stewart38
2nd-February-2006, 03:13 PM
If you fancy a trip to Scotland I'm sure that there are enough forumites on here to make you feel welcome and help you find the best venues to go to. :hug:

Sounds like a southerns coach trip required :yeah:

drathzel
2nd-February-2006, 03:14 PM
Sounds like a southerns coach trip required :yeah:

while your at it you can take a detour through N.Ireland:D

Icey
2nd-February-2006, 03:16 PM

:yeah: I had a brilliant weekend when I was there last month :D

stewart38
2nd-February-2006, 03:17 PM
while your at it you can take a detour through N.Ireland:D

where is Northern Ireland ? :wink:

drathzel
2nd-February-2006, 03:20 PM
where is Northern Ireland ? :wink:
NO 14 (http://www.crsearch.co.uk/crss-See_map_of_regions)
would you like directions?

David Bailey
2nd-February-2006, 03:30 PM
I'd been thinking of posting a new thread asking folks how the forums could be revamped or rearranged to improve the organisation. (Just for my own curiosity, though maybe Franck would also be interested.)
All your ideas sound good to me, but I'd recommend salami tactics rather than whole-scale revamp; easier to implement, and easier to discuss pros and cons of each one.

There is a danger that the number of categories becomes too large and I suspect that this will put people off more than attract.
I agree that navigation is an issue - and yes, from a usability point of view, there are clearly too many options already. Perhaps retiring the "Book Club", "Big Brother House" and "Diary Room" would be a start? And possibly then moving "Fun&Games" into the Discussion Lounge area, and moving the "BFG" ... Hmmm, Ducasi's right, it's like unravelling a ball of twine once you get started, isn't it?

OK, so I guess we'd have something like 4 main sections (same as now):
- "Ceroc / dance technical discussions" - as is
- "Discussion lounge" - as is, but including Fun&Games
- "Social" - as described above
- "Testing testing" - as is.

Maybe this should be a new thread - "How would you redesign Forum structure?"...

David Bailey
2nd-February-2006, 03:30 PM
it's the chit-chat that goes on within them that is normally bias towards Down Souf:
"did you get to that dance in Hamersmith?" "thanks for the dance at withemstone, will I see you next tuesday?" "i danced in brighton; were you there? it was great!"...

I think the perceived problem would be reduced if people used PM's for this sort of stuff rather than the open forum.
:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:
Thank God someone else thinks that these type of messages are a waste of bandwidth... :nice:

ducasi
2nd-February-2006, 04:09 PM
:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:
Thank God someone else thinks that these type of messages are a waste of bandwidth... :nice:
Except that a PM'ed "thanks for the dances" can have a very different meaning than a public one. Plus, in a PM conversation there's no chance for someone else to butt-in with their ":yeah:"'s, etc...

David Bailey
2nd-February-2006, 04:13 PM
Plus, in a PM conversation there's no chance for someone else to butt-in with their ":yeah:"'s, etc...
Yeah - and that's a Good Thing. All these flippin' "Me toos"... :rolleyes:

For an example of value-free content, look at the Monday Jango thread - and the fact that I could do a summary of that thread in 50 words. Even the SS has content occasionally....

LMC
2nd-February-2006, 04:14 PM
Except that a PM'ed "thanks for the dances" can have a very different meaning than a public one.
Seems a shame :( - to me, it would mean "thanks for the dances" - whether sent or received.

Plus, in a PM conversation there's no chance for someone else to butt-in with their ":yeah:"'s, etc...
Plus PMs don't lead to rep :rolleyes:

Northants Girly
2nd-February-2006, 04:51 PM
I agree - most topics are, it's the chit-chat that goes on within them that is normally bias towards Down Souf:

Yeah to a point.

But if it's a discussion in the "Chit Chat" area of the forum then Chit Chat should be expected/allowed :)

Minnie M
2nd-February-2006, 04:54 PM
.......Plus PMs don't lead to rep :rolleyes:
is that how you got to over 1000 reps :whistle:

LMC
2nd-February-2006, 04:59 PM
I resent the implication that I've been campaigning by PM :mad:

My comment referred more to the fact that an open comment on forum can be repped, a PM can't.

Lynn
2nd-February-2006, 05:03 PM
Yeah - and that's a Good Thing. All these flippin' "Me toos"... :rolleyes: :yeah:

(Sorry, couldn't resist it...)

LMC
2nd-February-2006, 05:05 PM
:yeah:

(Sorry, couldn't resist it...)
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

is the only appropriate response really innit?

David Bailey
2nd-February-2006, 05:13 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Me too :rolleyes:

TheTramp
2nd-February-2006, 05:29 PM
For an example of value-free content, look at the Monday Jango thread - and the fact that I could do a summary of that thread in 50 words.
I dunno. I could probably do it in the same one word that I used for the SS summary! :rolleyes:

Even the SS has content occasionally....
Don't be silly! :innocent:

drathzel
2nd-February-2006, 05:33 PM

My comment referred more to the fact that an open comment on forum can be repped, a PM can't.

yeah but in a pm you can speak to the person and tell them what you liked about their post/pm.

Has anyone noticed the highest Repees are all darn sarf!!!!

Lory
2nd-February-2006, 05:39 PM

Yeah, it is a bit sad really:sad: So, what's the solution then?:confused:

drathzel
2nd-February-2006, 05:45 PM
Yeah, it is a bit sad really:sad: So, what's the solution then?:confused:

the problem is there is no solution. The forum is what it is, if you dont like it the way it is then dont spend so much time on it. I like the fact that i can post and speak to people that i will see when i travel to london or scotland or anywhere else in the UK.

If it wasnt for the diversity of the forum i wouldnt have met lynn and become franchisee of NI, i wouldnt have spoken to Adam and went to Finchley the night i met LW, i prob wouldnt have been to so many dance venues in Scotland, i prob wouldnt have met one of my closest friends NG.

As i said, it is what it is and we might as well make the most of it!!!!!!!:cheers: :flower:

Lory
2nd-February-2006, 05:59 PM
the problem is there is no solution. The forum is what it is, if you dont like it the way it is then dont spend so much time on it. I like the fact that i can post and speak to people that i will see when i travel to london or scotland or anywhere else in the UK.

If it wasnt for the diversity of the forum i wouldnt have met lynn and become franchisee of NI, i wouldnt have spoken to Adam and went to Finchley the night i met LW, i prob wouldnt have been to so many dance venues in Scotland, i prob wouldnt have met one of my closest friends NG.

As i said, it is what it is and we might as well make the most of it!!!!!!!:cheers: :flower:
I like it too :nice: and the same applies to me, I doubt i'd have visited Scotland 3 times in the last year and I certainly wouldn't have met so many people from other parts of the country either!

The part I find sad, is according to Heather, the Scots have stopped posting because so many southerners now use the forum :(

Minnie M
2nd-February-2006, 08:22 PM
.......Plus PMs don't lead to rep .

is that how you got to over 1000 reps

I am agreeing with you, read your own quotes properly (see above)........ PMs don't lead to rep

Hevmac
2nd-February-2006, 08:50 PM
speaking personally, it is not a problem of too many southerners at all it is just the sheer volume of forumites! i just dont have the time to a) go on line often and b) read all the posts.... then c) actually post a reply!:sad: before the kids call me, the phone rings or i just feel plain guilty!!:flower:
(though i too do find it sad that i dont see as many familiar scottish names that i used to!:tears: )
Xx

LMC
2nd-February-2006, 09:43 PM
Plus PMs don't lead to rep :rolleyes:

is that how you got to over 1000 reps :whistle:
Sorry Minnie, I misunderstood you - thought you were implying that I was using PMs to solicit rep, which I've never done (unless there's been some rare occasion that I've been channelling DJ :sick: ). Apologies for misreading your comment :flower:

frodo
2nd-February-2006, 10:11 PM
...The two hot spots for forum memberships seem to be Scotland and London. So I'd pull them out as special cases from the general, giving a General events forum, a Scottish events forum and a London events forum....

I like the way http://www.dance-forums.com/ have recently added some sub forums, using the same software as this one.

It seems to make additional categories a little more manageable while keeping them mostly available via a single click.