PDA

View Full Version : Going postal...

David Bailey
31st-January-2006, 02:01 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4665790.stm
- yet another mass shooting incident in the USA.

Who thinks there'll be any gun control debate in the US in reaction?

Lynn
31st-January-2006, 02:13 PM
Thought this was going to be a Pratchett thread! (I suppose though it would have been in the book club section if it was.) Haven't read that one yet, any good?

drathzel
31st-January-2006, 02:16 PM
Oh if we are talking about books.... has anyone read body double? I bought it cuz i want to read it but might find it too scary so i have made mum read it first, only she is reading a book at the minute and i want to read it now!

Lynn
31st-January-2006, 02:22 PM
How to totally derail a thread in two posts! :rofl:

Sorry DJ...:blush:

Barry Shnikov
31st-January-2006, 02:23 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4665790.stm
- yet another mass shooting incident in the USA.

Boy, I'd hate to have the US Postal Service health-care bill!

Barry Shnikov
31st-January-2006, 02:39 PM

Citizens need handguns to defend themselves against nutjobs who want to kill them. If anything, this is a strong argument to allow all employed persons to take their gun to work daily to deter this sort of casual, random killing. Bearing in mind how often this happens in schools (Columbine, etc) perhaps we should arm all our schoolchildren as well.

© NRA

David Bailey
31st-January-2006, 04:06 PM
How to totally derail a thread in two posts! :rofl:
For me, Drathzel still holds the record for the infamous "mushrooms" comment. But that's pretty close...

Icey
31st-January-2006, 05:15 PM
... Drathzel still holds the record for the infamous "mushrooms" comment. But that's pretty close...

I think you should provide a Harperlink so that we can all appreciate it

stewart38
31st-January-2006, 05:24 PM
Citizens need handguns to defend themselves against nutjobs who want to kill them. If anything, this is a strong argument to allow all employed persons to take their gun to work daily to deter this sort of casual, random killing. Bearing in mind how often this happens in schools (Columbine, etc) perhaps we should arm all our schoolchildren as well.

© NRA

Think that brings this thread to conclusion

Id stop at arming the under 5 with automatic fire type guns or anyone who 'shakes'

LMC
31st-January-2006, 05:24 PM
Well, it all started as an innocent poll (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5770) on the merits of fungi as food... until D expressed her full and frank opinion.

Classic.

Oh, this thread...

People who want to use guns for criminal purposes will not care whether guns are illegal or not - how much difference have firearms laws made to gun crime in the UK? - last I heard, shootings were up.

TheTramp
31st-January-2006, 05:35 PM
Well, it all started as an innocent poll (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5770) on the merits of fungi as food... until D expressed her full and frank opinion.

I was going to ask how I missed that one. But I guess that it ended upstairs. And I don't read that section very often! (Being very shy and innocent myself :innocent: )

LMC
31st-January-2006, 05:37 PM
...I'm in nice mode at the moment (it won't last).
Good, you're much more fun when you're Evil.

Guess I am too, for helpfully supplying said Harperlink - yes Trampy, it's upstairs, but you wouldn't understand it, being the innocent and dewy-eyed little flower that you are.

Barry Shnikov
31st-January-2006, 05:50 PM
yes Trampy, it's upstairs, but you wouldn't understand it, being the innocent and dewy-eyed little flower that you are.

Huh. I can assure you that is not dew...

TheTramp
31st-January-2006, 05:55 PM
Huh. I can assure you that is not dew...
Heh. Good job you're on my ignore list, and I can't read that!! :whistle:

drathzel
31st-January-2006, 09:14 PM
For me, Drathzel still holds the record for the infamous "mushrooms" comment. But that's pretty close...

i say it like it is!:innocent:

frodo
31st-January-2006, 09:26 PM

Classic.

Oh, this thread...

People who want to use guns for criminal purposes will not care whether guns are illegal or not - how much difference have firearms laws made to gun crime in the UK? - last I heard, shootings were up.

Quite likely, but this is possibly nearer (a very destructive form) of suicide than normal criminal endeavour.

For suicide I think research has shown that there is high degree of correlation between ready means and suicides.

drathzel
31st-January-2006, 09:30 PM
Quite likely, but this is possibly nearer (a very destructive form) of suicide than normal criminal endeavour.

For suicide I think research has shown that there is high degree of correlation between ready means and suicides.

I hope he's meaning the second bit of your post :sick:

LMC
1st-February-2006, 12:00 AM
I've no idea, maybe he's confusing mushrooms with toadstools?

Sorry DJ... your lovely thread :rofl:

Badders
1st-February-2006, 12:37 AM
Oh if we are talking about books.... has anyone read body double? I bought it cuz i want to read it but might find it too scary so i have made mum read it first, only she is reading a book at the minute and i want to read it now!

Just started to read "Body Double" and so far it's not scary and I am thoroughly enjoying it!

Go on, just read it :nice:

Badders.

drathzel
1st-February-2006, 03:06 PM
Just started to read "Body Double" and so far it's not scary and I am thoroughly enjoying it!

Go on, just read it :nice:

Badders.

i'll hold you to that! Ok i when i finish the book i am reading now (am in about 400 pages only 345 to go) i will read it. Dont panic i will get to it asap, i only started the other book on Monday!:D

Barry Shnikov
1st-February-2006, 05:07 PM
i'll hold you to that! Ok i when i finish the book i am reading now (am in about 400 pages only 345 to go) i will read it. Dont panic i will get to it asap, i only started the other book on Monday!:D
745 pages - what's the title then?

drathzel
1st-February-2006, 05:11 PM
745 pages - what's the title then?

Foreign Affairs...cant rem the author will inform you when i get home

Barry Shnikov
1st-February-2006, 09:48 PM
Foreign Affairs...cant rem the author will inform you when i get home
Gak!!

sounds like chick lit - like, travels of dissatisfied educated bint in mediterranean countries...;)

Baruch
2nd-February-2006, 12:20 AM
As a legal gun-owner, I get rather annoyed when the government introduces knee-jerk legislation as a sop to to public outcry following high-profile firearms offences. A perfect example is the banning of handguns after the Dunblane shootings: those who held handguns perfectly legally and safely for legitimate purposes were deprived of them, yet gun crime has increased in the UK since then. Nothing was done to combat the use of illegal guns, which is where the whole problem came from in the first place, yet because the government was seen to be "doing something about guns" the tabloids were happy. The result? Gun crime increased while legal gun owners were left smarting at having their legitimate sporting activities criminalised for no good reason.

It's obviously quite easy to get hold of illegal firearms. Why doesn't the government concentrate on that problem instead of penalising legal gun-owners, who are not part of the problem in the first place?

drathzel
2nd-February-2006, 11:17 AM
Gak!!

sounds like chick lit - like, travels of dissatisfied educated bint in mediterranean countries...;)

actually its about 4 girls growing up in Eire and the different lives they had, how they met etc, its actually fascinating. One of the girls is being bullied by her father, two are sisters who dont get on, and one is the youngest of a poor family who goes to live with her aunt.

LMC
2nd-February-2006, 11:22 AM
Patricia Scanlan. Sorry D, it's chick lit.

I rejected it for train reading because 400 pages is my pain barrier (and weight limit) for pastel-covered fiction suitable for the brain-dead zone between Stevenage and Kings X at stupid o'clock.

drathzel
2nd-February-2006, 12:19 PM
Patricia Scanlan. Sorry D, it's chick lit.

I rejected it for train reading because 400 pages is my pain barrier (and weight limit) for pastel-covered fiction suitable for the brain-dead zone between Stevenage and Kings X at stupid o'clock.

I actually think that this one is less "girly" than her ones in the past ie city girls/women/lives.

I like them cuz i know where they are talking about and i can visualise them walking down henry st etc!

My other book i am reading (as i always have two on the go) is Joe's war- My father Decoded!about a guy who wasborn in Czechoslovakia, escaped from German-occupied Poland, joined the Polish army in France, ending up intercepting morse code in a top secret unit in London!