PDA

View Full Version : Ceroc Muswell Hill: Busking

El Salsero Gringo
30th-January-2006, 07:05 PM
Ceroc London is opening a new venue mid February in Muswell Hill, London N10 - on Thursday nights - so we're having a bit of a busk this next two weekends to drum up some new local talent. If any forumites would like to come and join in they will be *extremely* welcome, and get my very grateful thanks, along with an admit-one as well as free admission on the opening night, as a small token of appreciation.

The busking will be by the Clock Tower at Crouch End, first off this Saturday (4 Feb) as well as both Saturday and Sunday the weekend after, assuming the weather is half-way decent. PM me if you can make it, so I can let you know about last minute changes of plan - otherwise just come along!

Tiggerbabe
30th-January-2006, 07:07 PM
'Fraid it's a bit far to come :tears: Hope you all have a lot of fun though :D

LMC
30th-January-2006, 07:12 PM
Times please?

Dress code? - er, I presume dress is preferred, because we'll get cold otherwise - but we don't have to wear official T-shirts or anything like that do we?

El Salsero Gringo
30th-January-2006, 07:21 PM
12 noon - and I'm going to try to provide Ceroc sweatshirts. I suspect that a brisk dance will warm people up quickly, but there is a danger of getting chilled when you stop, so bring layers to put on.

Tiggerbabe
30th-January-2006, 07:43 PM
we'll get cold otherwise
When we did the busk in Brechin/Montrose it wasn't exactly the hottest day of the year :whistle: so most people wore the Ceroc t-shirts on top of their sweatshirts/other t-shirts. You do tend to warm up fairly quickly once you start dancing though :D

Missy D
30th-January-2006, 07:55 PM
Sounds good to me as I live a couple of miles from there in Finchley. Cant make the busking this weekend but could possibly do the following week.

Who owns this franchise? Where in Muswell Hill will it be?

D:flower:

El Salsero Gringo
30th-January-2006, 08:03 PM
Sounds good to me as I live a couple of miles from there in Finchley. Cant make the busking this weekend but could possibly do the following week.

Who owns this franchise? Where in Muswell Hill will it be?

D:flower:It's part of the Ceroc London 'empire', and I'll be managing it (blush). It's at St. George's Hall on the corner of Park Road and Cranley Gardens. The hall has a great soft wooden floor, and there's an upstairs studio with a proper sprung dance floor for beginners' workshops as well as blues/latin in future weeks. The teacher will be Lucy Houlton (who's absolutely lovely) and our very own Tessalicious will be DJing. All the details will be up on the Ceroc website very soon, but here is a map (http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=529347&Y=189172&A=Y&Z=1). And there's a smallish car park with loads of on-street parking all around.

El Salsero Gringo
10th-February-2006, 11:06 AM
A quick update on busking this weekend for anyone who'd like to come along:

Saturday 11 Feb, at the Muswell Hill Odeon which is here (http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=528530&Y=189494&A=Y&Z=1), from midday, and on Sunday 12th at the Crouch End Clock Tower which is here (http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=530115&Y=188443&A=Y&Z=1), from 1:30 pm

If anyone would like to come along (and who hasn't already done so) drop me a PM with contact details so I can let you know if there's a last minute change of location)

BobbyA
10th-February-2006, 11:17 AM
Hey that sounds interesting. I'm coming to London Today (Friday 10th till - Saturday 11th).. Gotta pick someone up at the airport at 7:30 which means i may have a lot of hanging around to do during the day (Saturday). I may be able to come along. I'll drop you a PM with my number. (I'll bring my own Ceroc tshirt and ceroc fleace :P )

Mary
10th-February-2006, 05:01 PM
Lots of luck with this weekend's busking. I hope you get lots of willing buskers and generate lots of interest. Sorry we can't make it due to practise/lessons/workshops all weekend, but I'll be thinking about you all.

Forecast looks good anyway.

M

Missy D
11th-February-2006, 04:21 PM
Just got back from busking in Muswell Hill. We had such fun! If anyone hasnt tried busking before then you must try it.

Lovely to meet the Bobby men from the forum. Good to see the lovely Tess and Esg too. Me and Dee did try our hardest not to lower the tone:rofl:

See you all tomorrow!:clap: :clap: :clap:

dee
12th-February-2006, 06:56 PM
Just got back from busking in Muswell Hill. We had such fun! If anyone hasnt tried busking before then you must try it.

Lovely to meet the Bobby men from the forum. Good to see the lovely Tess and Esg too. Me and Dee did try our hardest not to lower the tone:rofl:

See you all tomorrow!:clap: :clap: :clap:

:yeah:

Despite the cold weather i had a really good time too. Lovely to meet Vicky. BobbyA and his brother, and to see the lovely Tess and ESG :hug:

BobbyA
13th-February-2006, 01:27 AM
Hey again all.. Well i had such a lovely time meet you guys.. Such a friendly group of people. Had great dances with you all. Some interesting moments with Tess being almost knocked out by the Ceroc Poster and dee almost being run over by a Bus (Skillfully avoided) whilst giving a driver by a flyer for the new class.

:P :P

Thanks for the dances ladys. Would have been great to make it for the hammersmith dance. Sadly i couldn't make it :( sob sob.

Ho hum.. maybe next time. I'm gonna try making it for the ceroc championships in hammersmith. I had great fun watching last year. Maybe i'll get to know some more people this year.

Sparkles
17th-February-2006, 11:57 AM
So, how was the first night?
I'm bummed to have missed it :sad:

Mary
17th-February-2006, 12:02 PM
So, how was the first night?
I'm bummed to have missed it :sad:

Just what I was wondering.

M

El Salsero Gringo
17th-February-2006, 12:12 PM
I thought it went very well, considering. Good crowd, excellent teacher (Lucy Houlton) is *hilarious*, the music went down very well, venue looked nice and so on. Thanks to everyone for their good wishes and to those who were able to make it along. (And to those who dropped in despite not being able to move their heads because of neck injuries and had to go home before the class...)

There's another busking session tomorrow, Saturday, if anyone's free and willing in the north London area. Midday at the Crouch End clock tower. (This will be the last for a couple of weeks.) PM me if you plan to come along and I can let you know about last minute changes to venue, times etc.

Dizzy
17th-February-2006, 12:13 PM
I went last night and from what I saw, it was a big success :worthy: :respect:

There were a lot of people who were dancing for the first time so the teaching had to be adjusted for that but everyone seemed to accomodate that and enjoyed themselves!!!

DJ Tessalicious rocked!!! :clap: :hug:

I think that the night should be a big success!! :clap: :clap:

LMC
17th-February-2006, 12:15 PM
And to those who dropped in despite not being able to move their heads because of neck injuries and had to go home before the class...
:tears: I was so sorry not to be able to stay.

Insider info says that you had ~100 people - FANTASTIC for a first night, the hard work has all come together - :worthy:. Hope to be there next week and be able to contribute more than helping people fill out forms.

El Salsero Gringo
17th-February-2006, 12:19 PM
Insider info saysRight. Who squealed? I'm going to have the lot of you back for detention after going-home time until the culprit owns up!

Sparkles
17th-February-2006, 12:28 PM
Damn, wish I'd been there now, and that I'd squealed... detention sounds fun :devil:

BobbyA
17th-February-2006, 01:05 PM
I'm glad the night was a sucess :P

I'll have to try and come down one day and check the class out. Its just i'm never usually in london on a thursday. But maybe one day :P

Groovy Dancer
17th-February-2006, 03:00 PM
I thought it went very well, considering. Good crowd, excellent teacher (Lucy Houlton) is *hilarious*, the music went down very well, venue looked nice and so on. Thanks to everyone for their good wishes and to those who were able to make it along. (And to those who dropped in despite not being able to move their heads because of neck injuries and had to go home before the class...)

There's another busking session tomorrow, Saturday, if anyone's free and willing in the north London area. Midday at the Crouch End clock tower. (This will be the last for a couple of weeks.) PM me if you plan to come along and I can let you know about last minute changes to venue, times etc.

I was there last night, who was the guy on stage with the teacher??:yeah:

Dizzy
17th-February-2006, 03:03 PM
That would be our lovely King Groovy Dancer himself, Dale :drool: :worthy: :worthy:

Dizzy
22nd-March-2006, 03:38 PM
Pssst........

I heard a rumour that our very own Paul F will be teaching in Muswell Hill for the next few weeks :clap:

Might have to go and investigate this thurday :whistle: :D

Angel
22nd-March-2006, 03:46 PM
Pssst........

I heard a rumour that our very own Paul F will be teaching in Muswell Hill for the next few weeks :clap:

Psst.... Dizzy.... Is he nice?

Donna
22nd-March-2006, 03:51 PM

Psst Angel...yes he is! Go get em girl! Yeah Paul Foster used to dance up here....EXCELLENT DANCER! VERY FLUID AND MAKES YOU FEEL GOOD ON THE DANCE FLOOR!

Dizzy
22nd-March-2006, 03:55 PM

:drool: :drool:

and as a dancer........ :drool: :drool:

Paul F
22nd-March-2006, 04:23 PM
Pssst........

Boy oh boy. News travels fast doesn't it :grin:

Tis true. I will be teaching at Muswell Hill a few times over the next month or so - STARTING TOMORROW! so if anybody fancies dropping in for a dance it would be great to see you :cheers:

I promise to be gentle :hug: Well, at least for the first week so I dont scare everyone off ;)

We will start the imtemediate class tomorrow with a little known move called the "Ladies Back Break Arm Wrenching Double Dislocating Death Slide" but, shhhhhh!, dont tell ESG!
:grin:

Dizzy
22nd-March-2006, 04:36 PM
Boy oh boy. News travels fast doesn't it :grin:

That's not all. I also heard that the luscious Foxylady will be demoing for you :wink: :D

Paul F
22nd-March-2006, 04:38 PM
Psst Angel...yes he is! Go get em girl! Yeah Paul Foster used to dance up here....EXCELLENT DANCER! VERY FLUID AND MAKES YOU FEEL GOOD ON THE DANCE FLOOR!

Foster???? :nice:
Not far off. My surname is Farrell but I had to smile as my sister has recently become a Foster! Ok, quite a while ago now.

Thankyou for the compliment though. Its definately reciprocated :hug:

Paul F
22nd-March-2006, 04:39 PM
That's not all. I also heard that the luscious Foxylady will be demoing for you :wink: :D

:clap: :clap:
To have someone of Foxylady's standard demoing with me is a rather humbling thing! Absolutely fabulous dancer.
Im really looking forward to it.

El Salsero Gringo
22nd-March-2006, 05:02 PM
"Ladies Back Break Arm Wrenching Double Dislocating Death Slide" I've been doing that one for years. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Paul F
22nd-March-2006, 05:07 PM
I've been doing that one for years. I can't recommend it highly enough.

:wink:

It's ok. Im a first aider!

:grin:

Paul F
24th-March-2006, 11:03 AM
Well, I have to say I really enjoyed teaching last night. :clap:

The venue looked really good. Lovely lighting and a nice atmosphere which a lot of venues find hard to achieve. I also liked the floor.

Its the first time I have seen the 'Taxi Rank' idea put into place. I like it. It gave me the opportunity to, essentially, hang around that area knowing that I could get to the people that wanted to practice and who were unsure. Really good idea.

For a newly opened venue it has loads of potential so here's hoping it goes from strength to strength.

:cheers:

foxylady
24th-March-2006, 01:00 PM
I wanted to say that Paul did a really good job at Muswell Hill last night. Just the right blend of cheeky northern chappie and good dancer to have ALL the ladies queueing to dance with him... I thought it was interesting that the floor was still full (or as full as it had ever been) at 10.30.... given the relative inexperience of the crowd... and when Paul left at 10.30 (as he had a long drive) it suddenly started to empy (:confused: but not rocket science ).....

Again due to the relative inexperience of the majority of the intermediates he had to tone down the intermediate class he was planning, but boy when he does teach it you want to be there (a fabby paso cloak spin turn thingy, followed by a shoulder sway with a spiral turn step away exit.... loads of ladies styling stuff to play with... and men looking macho stuff too :yum: :drool:

I'd keep an eye out for next time he's teaching (there or anywhere else) if I were you

? Was that sufficiently grovel-y to get me another demo slot do you think ?

Paul F
24th-March-2006, 03:06 PM
I'd keep an eye out for next time he's teaching (there or anywhere else) if I were you

? Was that sufficiently grovel-y to get me another demo slot do you think ?

Awww schuks :blush:

I really enjoy teaching and, as have been told, that reflects onto those in my class. I dont think there is anything more to it than that.

As for the content of my classes I will always try and give people something they can learn, no matter how long they have been doing MJ. If that means lending structures from two-step or latin then fair enough. Obviously in cases where the venue is new I have to tailor what I teach, similar to last night, but that doesnt mean I cant give extra little tit-bits of info for those that know it.

I was also amazed at how smooth running the A3 and M25 were in rush hour. Amazing. Shame the north circular didnt follow suit :rolleyes:

You dont need to grovel to be my demo :hug:

Dizzy
24th-March-2006, 03:51 PM

I'm so sorry that I wasn't able to come last night guys. I wasn't feeling the best :sick:. I am feeling significantly better today though so hopefully will see you both on sunday for the T-Jive :clap:

Will try and come to Muswell Hill next week :hug:

El Salsero Gringo
24th-March-2006, 04:36 PM
As for the content of my classes I will always try and give people something they can learn, no matter how long they have been doing MJ.Ah... that would explain the line-dancing warm up then .... :wink:

Paul F
24th-March-2006, 04:39 PM
Ah... that would explain the line-dancing warm up then .... :wink:

:rofl:

Hey! It gets people moving and everyone was smiling. The ideal way to liven things up IMO :wink: