PDA

View Full Version : Stress! Help

drathzel
30th-January-2006, 02:59 PM
Ok i have had a really stressful few weeks and it has really taken its toll, i am not sleeping and i cant seem to switch my brain off. Does anyone have any tips for relaxation?:hug:

azande
30th-January-2006, 03:03 PM
Yeah, but I wouldn't want your thread to go upstairs at the first reply. :D

WittyBird
30th-January-2006, 03:05 PM
:yeah: Will tell you later :wink:

CJ
30th-January-2006, 03:06 PM

So, is the third reply ok to say that most men find a really good BJ a satisfying way to de-stress then??

Have you thought about some kind of massage: indian head, aromatic?? Let someone de-stress you for you. Is not that expensive, but very worth it!! (this was the serious bit!!)

azande
30th-January-2006, 03:08 PM
So, is the third reply ok to say that most men find a really good BJ a satisfying way to de-stress then??
:rofl: I was just waiting for you to chip in

jacksondonut
30th-January-2006, 03:11 PM
:sad: I know how you feel.. I often lie awake for hours, wake intermittently or visit the bathroom half a dozen times, some nights... or on a bad night, all three..:tears: consequently being knackered for most of following day.. (the weekends being the only time I can lay in and sometimes not even then.)

I guess the only thing that works a lot of the time, is going out for a good nights' dancing and coming in very late completely exhausted.. sounds ideal,:clap: but impossible for me to do every night of the week..:sad: I am not interested in TV, and I find reading a book gives me a headache late at night as well so I try and wear myself out during the day. It is a pain in the bum..

Maybe too much caffeine is the problem, eating too late, or too much to plan for the next day.. sometimes it is good thing to write things down, (an inventory) and get these things out of your head and onto paper.. (especially if you are worried).. I often write a 'gratitude' list, if I am feeling down, that helps me too.

Hope something is of use to you.
Janx
:flower: :flower:

jiveknight
30th-January-2006, 03:20 PM
Ok i have had a really stressful few weeks and it has really taken its toll, i am not sleeping and i cant seem to switch my brain off. Does anyone have any tips for relaxation?:hug:

Sounds simple, but take a walk around the block. Keep walking *past* where you feel really tired and until you see the things you are walking near and feel better. Works for me (also I stopped having coffee after 8.00pm which helped).

Good luck :cheers:

Lynn
30th-January-2006, 03:29 PM
Ok i have had a really stressful few weeks and it has really taken its toll, i am not sleeping and i cant seem to switch my brain off. Does anyone have any tips for relaxation?:hug:Know how you feel - but I seem to need too much sleep... I'm permanently exhausted. But I always seem to have ever increasing list of things to do...

I know its not maybe possible - but a relaxing weekend away - where you have nothing you have to do at all but decide things like where to go for dinner. I used to find that leaving the country was the only way I could completely switch off for a couple of days.

LMC
30th-January-2006, 03:41 PM
The writing things down is a good approach IMO. Also, before you go to bed, take ten minutes, to do absolutely nothing except breathe. Remind yourself that there's nothing you can do about whatever-it-is right this minute and that you can and will handle it the next day - all the better for having had some sleep.

If you still can't sleep, don't lie in bed - get up again, have a non-caffeinated hot drink (Twinings do a really nice camomile honey and vanilla and Dr Stuart's Tranquillity tea from Holland & Barret is excellent - even nicer with honey) and do something relaxing (preferably reading something fluffy and not too exciting - this is where celebrity gossip magazines really come into their own :sick: )

Alternatively... no, I can't bring myself to put it in writing either. Never mind, this is drathzel we are talking to, I'm sure she can work it out...

:hug: - be nice to yourself D

Chicklet
30th-January-2006, 03:47 PM
Story tapes, been "using" since I was 5 years old, only thing that works.
Loads to be had at 99p on e-bay.

drathzel
30th-January-2006, 03:56 PM
I have been having sleep problems for years and i can usually cope with it. It is the stress part thats really getting to me. i cant seem to switch off! I go to bed and i have thoughts and worries that wont let me sleep.

Yes i agree that certain evening activities help destress, but my only problems with this is the fact that after said event, whether it be alone or accompanied, i am wide awake. Something in my brain just goes, WOOHOO time to party and i am awake all hours, granted it can be fun but very tiring.

I am really looking at destress tips.:hug:

Feelingpink
30th-January-2006, 04:22 PM
So, is the third reply ok to say that most men find a really good BJ a satisfying way to de-stress then??...
To give or receive?

killingtime
30th-January-2006, 04:27 PM

Also worth keeping in mind for important meetings and presentations (before important meetings and presentations) :D.

Feelingpink
30th-January-2006, 04:29 PM
Seriously,
- No caffeine after lunchtime
- A hot bath or shower before bed
- Herbal tea such as camomile or "evening" ones
- Something mind-numbing like a game of Sudoku (you can get free ones here (http://www.monterosa.co.uk/sudoku/))
- Aromatherapy oils such as lavender & camomile in your bath and in a carrier oil to rub on your skin before bed or use in a diffuser
- Keep paper & pen next to your bed to write down any thoughts (effectively emptying your head)
- Hot milky drink
- Having time off
:hug:

CJ
30th-January-2006, 04:33 PM
To give or receive?

I would never presume to speak on behalf of most men...:whistle:

Why don't you ask around?:wink:

Clive Long
30th-January-2006, 05:58 PM
Dratzhel

I'm guessing that your new venture is adding to the things you feel you need to do.

All I can suggest is ...

Keep your vision on what you want to achieve. Don't get sucked into things that will divert you from your vision.

Accept you can only do one thing at a time and that somethings will not get done. Don't beat yourself up for the things that don't get done.

Be firm, be clear, don't be bullied but don't be a bully.

Don't let other people off-load on to you things they should be doing.

Don't be afraid to ask for help.

Learn how to say NO. It won't make you a bad person and people may even treat you better for it.

Accept that almost any human transaction can be treated as a negotiation unless one side is completely unreasonable or unco-operative.

I don't know whether any of the above is relevant to you - but I would certainly like it to be relevant to me. :)

Clive

Dreadful Scathe
30th-January-2006, 06:12 PM
I agree with Clive almost wholeheartedly.

Keep your vision on what you want to achieve. Don't get sucked into things that will divert you from your vision.

e.g. Internet Forums and loads of advice from Clive Long ;)

Be firm, be clear

Be vigilant. Behave.

Don't be afraid to ask for help.

When appropriate! Dance demos do not take kindly to requests to "please sort out my underwear as its riding up". Well, in front of the class anyway.

Someone in the class will volunteer, however.

Learn how to say NO. It won't make you a bad person and people may even treat you better for it.

Niiiii...Nuuuuu..N..cant get it :(

Accept that almost any human transaction can be treated as a negotiation unless one side is completely unreasonable or unco-operative.

Utter trite. oh! :)

Oops Im procrastinating again....

LMC
30th-January-2006, 06:20 PM
Look at what you're expecting from yourself and ask if you would expect the same from one of your friends or someone working for you (depending on the situation). I expect the answer, if you're honest, is "No" - because often we set ourselves impossibly high standards.

Be realistic about what you can and can't achieve. Before going into "panic" mode about anything, ask yourself what is the worst that will happen if you don't do whatever it is that needs doing - it helps prioritise :)

Did I say be nice to yourself? :whistle: :hug:

Aleks
30th-January-2006, 06:55 PM
good advice....... Dr Stuart's Tranquillity tea.......more good stuff
This tea contains Lime Flowers which a good herbalist would suggest you take if you find that you can't switch your brain off. You can also get it as a "tincture" (drops) which you can take in water or on their own.

Other things:

- calming/soothing essential oils on pjs or pillow
- listen to relaxing music
- amethyst under your pillow
- meditation/relaxation CD to help you drift off
- flower essence related to your stress
- regular reiki/sekhen/massage/therapy of choice

plus everything already suggested!

drathzel
30th-January-2006, 07:14 PM
Thanks everyone. I am having problems emptying my head but i will try the mentioned and let you know how i got on!

Barry Shnikov
30th-January-2006, 07:19 PM
When I had problems sleeping, my Dad gave me a tip and it worked for me too.

If I'm tossing and turning and can't sleep, I'll go and sit in a comfy chair in the living room, either with a book and low lighting, or just sit in the dark. The change of locus seems to reduce the anxiety about whether I wil sleep or not, and I know that if I'm reading, I'll be distracting myself.

One drawback though - don't read a thriller, or something you can't put down!

Another thing I'll do is try to go through the dialogue of a film or something I've seen on TV in the last 24 hours or so. It's another distraction device.

Good luck. There was a time when I thought I was going to be insomniac for life but I'm back to head-hits-pillow-goodnight-world most nights.

Lynn
30th-January-2006, 09:04 PM
Seriously,
- Something mind-numbing like a game of Sudoku (you can get free ones here (http://www.monterosa.co.uk/sudoku/))
- Aromatherapy oils such as lavender & camomile in your bath and in a carrier oil to rub on your skin before bed or use in a diffuser
- Keep paper & pen next to your bed to write down any thoughts (effectively emptying your head)
- Hot milky drink
- Having time off
:hug:Good list. I've used several of these. Eg after revising for an exam the next morning - if I went straight to bed I would have everything rushing round in my mind - so a relaxing bath with soothing music really helped.

I would have thought Sudoku would have kept your mind active but I've discovered that it does actually help me switch off and sleep. Or reading a book (preferably one I've read before, otherwise I stay up for hours reading!) seems to help me 'switch off'.

Having a great nights dancing usually has the opposite effect - I have to have 'unwind time', even if I'm physically tired as I'm so hyped up!

Seahorse
30th-January-2006, 09:27 PM
Seriously,
- Hot milky drink
- Having time off

All true - you have to prepare your body for sleep. I've had problems for months - eventually a friend stepped in with much of the advice listed above - she wasn't pink tho...:wink: so I'd also add.
Don't watch TV in bed but read something or listen to some music. Brain has to wind down and we process an incredible amount visually.
Don't eat anything too late into the evening as the food isn't metabolised and will sit in the gut till you are moving again.
Blocking out ambient light (curtain lining - this was one of my problems).
Reduce the temperature of the room as this will slow things down.
Good ventilation

...and failing that find someone to cuddle up to!

Minnie M
30th-January-2006, 09:49 PM
TV ..........
(sorry if this contradicts other posts but it works for me)
Make a cup of camamile tea, go to bed and turn on the TV :really:
Watching TV in bed always sends me to sleep - I put the 'sleep timer' to 60 mins, and then watch some rubbish American sit-com - works every time :flower:

Katie
30th-January-2006, 10:16 PM
I have had chiropractic treatment before to treat anxiety, which has helped me sleep. I was told that your emotions are held by tension in the neck and once that is released through massage, and adjustments you feel so much lighter. Patients have even cried by neck releases apparently. :what:
Chiropractic treatment is expensive, so failing that, get someone to massage your neck and you'll feel sleepy...:nice:...or dreamy if it's a nice guy....:yum:

Minnie M
30th-January-2006, 10:23 PM
This tea contains Lime Flowers which a good herbalist would suggest you take if you find that you can't switch your brain off. You can also get it as a "tincture" (drops) which you can take in water or on their own.

Other things:

- calming/soothing essential oils on pjs or pillow
- listen to relaxing music
- amethyst under your pillow
- meditation/relaxation CD to help you drift off
- flower essence related to your stress
- regular reiki/sekhen/massage/therapy of choice

plus everything already suggested!
:yeah:
Visit Aleks when next in Scotland - she will sort you out D :yeah:

drathzel
31st-January-2006, 10:58 AM
Visit Aleks when next in Scotland - she will sort you out D :yeah:
i used to on a regular basis!:D Fancy a trip to Ceroc NI in the near future Aleks?:hug:

Aleks
31st-January-2006, 11:02 AM
Fancy a trip to Ceroc NI in the near future Aleks?:hug:
I'm free all day on Thursday...get me a ticket and I'll be there!

drathzel
31st-January-2006, 11:03 AM
I'm free all day on Thursday...get me a ticket and I'll be there!
i'm flying to london on thursday:tears:

Aleks
31st-January-2006, 11:03 AM
i'm flying to london on thursday:tears:

That's no problem - get me a ticket to London! I'm actually in London Wed/Thurs next week, if you're around....

drathzel
31st-January-2006, 12:49 PM
That's no problem - get me a ticket to London! I'm actually in London Wed/Thurs next week, if you're around....
Damn, i'm only there till monday:tears: