PDA

View Full Version : Learning Tango in Edin/Gla

CJ
30th-January-2006, 12:29 PM
Or indeed anywhere Central Scotland.:rolleyes:

Any recommendations?

Any classes you know of?

Am looking more for a gentle toe dip in the water as opposed to signing up to federations, comps and back breaking practice!!:whistle:

Any ideas, please?

Thank you,

CJ.
:flower:

Sparkles
30th-January-2006, 12:47 PM
May also be a good idea to specify what type of Tango you're looking to learn, so people know where to direct you.

... and if you come down to London again there are several options :D

S. xxx

CJ
30th-January-2006, 12:57 PM
May also be a good idea to specify what type of Tango you're looking to learn,

S. xxx
:eek: :really: :sick:

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

azande
30th-January-2006, 01:00 PM
Wikipedia link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tango_%28dance%29) :wink:

David Bailey
30th-January-2006, 01:03 PM

I presume Sparkles is referring to Argentine vs. Ballroom Tango; they're quite different.

Of course ( :rolleyes: ) there are also variants of Argentine Tango, but let's not go there...

CJ
30th-January-2006, 01:04 PM
Thanks, Dude!!

Mmm... Argentinian, I think. But is there a choice in C. Scotland?!?

Shall see what comes, then take it from there... You want to try it?!?

Sparkles
30th-January-2006, 01:04 PM

Well, if someone directs you to ballroom tango lessons and you were expecting argentine tango, you'll get a bit of a shock :really: !
They're quite different...

Sparkles
30th-January-2006, 01:07 PM
You want to try it?!?
:yeah:
Argentine tango is next on my list.
I would recommend it to anyone who wants to improve their lead and follow skills.
I've done a few basic lessons, but never took it up seriously, it's very difficult (specially if you've done ballroom IMO).
Hmmm... maybe we should find a couple of groups of people to go to lessons, one in Scotland and one in London - then when we meet up we can see how we get on dancing together! :grin:

Lynn
30th-January-2006, 01:09 PM
Of course ( :rolleyes: ) there are also variants of Argentine Tango Ah is this the 'salon style' v 'tango fantastico' thing? I've already been told the latter isn't 'real tango'. :rolleyes: (Not by someone who has been doing tango very long though).

...but let's not go there...Sorry. :blush:

CJ - ignore this bit. I presume its Arg Tango you are interested in? I hope you find somewhere to dip your toe! I just started two weeks ago and am really enjoying it.

Lory
30th-January-2006, 01:10 PM
Try HERE (http://www.edinburghtango.org.uk/tango/tangomain.php)

I presume Sparkles is referring to Argentine vs. Ballroom Tango; they're quite different.

:yeah: Personally I'm hooked on the Argentine variety at the moment! :waycool: :drool:

Lynn
30th-January-2006, 01:11 PM
Hmmm... maybe we should find a couple of groups of people to go to lessons, one in Scotland and one in London - then when we meet up we can see how we get on dancing together! :grin:That's already planned - if you are going to Southport - several of us are learning and are hoping to all get the chance to dance with each other there.

ducasi
30th-January-2006, 01:48 PM
I'm hoping to find a place to learn AT in Glasgow, but I don't think I'm going to have time to do it before the summer. And I know of classes that start in the autumn, so that was what I'm aiming for...

That said, if anyone finds a good class in Glasgow and wants some company, please let me know. :flower:

spindr
30th-January-2006, 02:18 PM
Try the tango map, it's next to the modern jive and the salsa one at http://www.afterfive.co.uk

SpinDr

P.S. I'd add the Belfast MJ class, but I haven't found a good website for it yet :)

CJ
30th-January-2006, 02:24 PM
Try the tango map, it's next to the modern jive and the salsa one at http://www.afterfive.co.uk

SpinDr

P.S. I'd add the Belfast MJ class, but I haven't found a good website for it yet :)

COOL!!!!!!:worthy:
Found Edin Tango Society. Let's see what happens...

spindr
30th-January-2006, 02:43 PM
Found Edin Tango Society. Let's see what happens...
There's a Glasgow website in the links -- I haven't "mapped" it yet :)
SpinDr

Lynn
30th-January-2006, 02:44 PM
Found Edin Tango Society. Let's see what happens...I remember now someone in Belfast telling me Edinburgh had a good Tango scene.

Lynn
30th-January-2006, 02:51 PM
Try the tango map, it's next to the modern jive and the salsa one at http://www.afterfive.co.uk There are also a few Dublin weekly classes if you wanted to add them. And Belfast salsa classes.

P.S. I'd add the Belfast MJ class, but I haven't found a good website for it yet :)I think its under construction...

Petal
1st-February-2006, 02:21 PM
Well, if someone directs you to ballroom tango lessons and you were expecting argentine tango, you'll get a bit of a shock :really: !
They're quite different...

IMO AT is much more interesting and fantastic to watch as well as dance.:clap:

drathzel
1st-February-2006, 03:13 PM
I think its under construction...

:yeah: but if any info is wanted they can contact me at cerocni@hotmail.co.uk in the meantime:D

spindr
1st-February-2006, 03:37 PM
:yeah: but if any info is wanted they can contact me at cerocni@hotmail.co.uk in the meantime:D
Well I found the www.ceroc.ie site but there's no info'

I need a website so that punters (and I) can get details from it -- especially if things change.
SpinDr

drathzel
1st-February-2006, 03:43 PM
Well I found the www.ceroc.ie site but there's no info'

I need a website so that punters (and I) can get details from it -- especially if things change.
SpinDr

thats cuz we arent Southern Ireland, We are Northern Ireland. That is Belfast and CO not Dublin

David Bailey
1st-February-2006, 03:53 PM
thats cuz we arent Southern Ireland, We are Northern Ireland. That is Belfast and CO not Dublin
Probably worth linking to though, given that they're relatively close.

Once you get your super-duper site up and running that is (I see ceroc.com still doesn't have a NI link in their map :sad: )

drathzel
1st-February-2006, 03:56 PM
Probably worth linking to though, given that they're relatively close.

Once you get your super-duper site up and running that is (I see ceroc.com still doesn't have a NI link in their map :sad: )

thats because my site is under construction and i am having problems with my venue and we dont want to promote a venue that we will not be at for less than a month more (fingers crossed) so we dont want to put it on the ceroc website just yet!

So just out of curiosity, does your local ceroc website have a link to Ceroc Scotland. Northern Ireland and Southern Ireland are two different countries run by two different governments and the ceroc franchises run by two different people. Oh and Belfast and Dublin are 3 hours apart so i doubt people will make their way up for an evenings class

David Bailey
1st-February-2006, 04:11 PM
So just out of curiosity, does your local ceroc website have a link to Ceroc Scotland.
Hah - my local ceroc site barely has working links to its own venues, so it's probably not the best example of web usability.

Northern Ireland and Southern Ireland are two different countries run by two different governments and the ceroc franchises run by two different people. Oh and Belfast and Dublin are 3 hours apart so i doubt people will make their way up for an evenings class
Blimey, it only took me 90 minutes last time on the train, have they moved them apart or something? :innocent: Plus, with that motorway thing (with the "No pushchairs" sign on it :rofl: ) I thought it was only a couple of hours drive now?

Seriously, I do know the difference, I've been over to Norn Irn quite a lot over the past few years; I could probably navigate between Coalisland and Belfast with my eyes closed by now (eyes closed being the best way to enter Coalisland I reckon :rolleyes: ).

It's your business to run of course - but it's conceivable that someone in, say Armagh, might appreciate knowing that there's alternative venues, both within an hour's drive or so - it might make them more keen to learn.

stefanofava
1st-February-2006, 04:24 PM
Argentine tango is next on my list.
I would recommend it to anyone who wants to improve their lead and follow skills.
I've done a few basic lessons, but never took it up seriously, it's very difficult (specially if you've done ballroom IMO).
Hmmm... maybe we should find a couple of groups of people to go to lessons, one in Scotland and one in London - then when we meet up we can see how we get on dancing together! :grin:

Hi Sparkles,
this might be of interest to you (Argentine Tango workshops in Aberdeen in February). I don't quite understand how to post a message for it to be visible to everyone, so I send this in reply to you and maybe, if you want to spread the word it would be great.
Many thanks
Stefano Fava
www.tangoinaction.com

Dear all,

We hope that you are all very well and happy up there in Aberdeen!

We want to let you know that we are touring our tango workshops this
winter and we are delighted that we will be returning to Aberdeen on
Saturday 25th February.

In the Ballroom of the Station Hotel (the very same room where we met you the first time) we are going to have a full day of Tango classes followed by a Milonga (social dancing) with a performace by us

This is the programme of the day:

12.00 - 2.00 Absolute Beginners Workshop £ 20

2.30 - 3.30 Technique for men and women (working separately) £ 10
(suitable for all levels)

3.45 - 4.15 Tango: posture, embrace, walking patterns £ 15
(suitable for all levels)

4.30 - 6.00 Tango: Turns and Rotations £ 15
(intermediate)

In the evening, in the same Ballroom there will be a Milonga with a dance

8.30 - 12.00 Milonga (social dancing until Midnight) £ 5

full details, directions etc. on our web site www.tangoinaction.com
for bookings please email us at info@tangoinaction.com or call Stefano on 07961 326731

With very best wishes,

Alexandra and Stefano
www.tangoinaction.com

ChrisA
1st-February-2006, 04:25 PM
full details, directions etc. on our web site www.tangoinaction.com

If anyone's got any experience of this tango school, positive or negative, could you PM me please?

Ta... :cheers:

Sparkles
1st-February-2006, 04:29 PM
If anyone's got any experience of this tango school, positive or negative, could you PM me please?

Ta... :cheers:
and me.

drathzel
1st-February-2006, 04:42 PM
Hah - my local ceroc site barely has working links to its own venues, so it's probably not the best example of web usability.

Blimey, it only took me 90 minutes last time on the train, have they moved them apart or something? :innocent: Plus, with that motorway thing (with the "No pushchairs" sign on it :rofl: ) I thought it was only a couple of hours drive now?

Seriously, I do know the difference, I've been over to Norn Irn quite a lot over the past few years; I could probably navigate between Coalisland and Belfast with my eyes closed by now (eyes closed being the best way to enter Coalisland I reckon :rolleyes: ).

It's your business to run of course - but it's conceivable that someone in, say Armagh, might appreciate knowing that there's alternative venues, both within an hour's drive or so - it might make them more keen to learn.

What train did you take, it took me 2 1/2 hrs last time i was on the train.

I was also talking centre to centre. As we are only in Belfast and co down for the forseable future, then its not a problem i will encounter and should i move closer to the border then i might consider it. But then you have to get into the whole Euros matter (as Newry and the like take both) and having two sets of banking and business accounts for one venue. Plus i dont want the Ireland Franchisee to be thinking i am trying to stell his clients from over the border.

You are right about Coalisland btw
:hug:

LMC
1st-February-2006, 04:45 PM
ChrisA/Sparkles - Clive talks about TangoinAction in London here (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showpost.php?p=152468&postcount=6)...

Sparkles
1st-February-2006, 04:50 PM
ChrisA/Sparkles - Clive talks about TangoinAction in London here (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showpost.php?p=152468&postcount=6)...

David Bailey
1st-February-2006, 04:54 PM
You're turning into the new Martin Harper aren't you? :eek:

LMC
1st-February-2006, 04:57 PM
*runs away screaming*

doc martin
1st-February-2006, 08:09 PM
How about this one CJ?

Tango Dundee was established in the summer of 2005, and currently meets every Wednesday night for a friendly and informal beginner's class. The class is held in the West End, and all are welcome, regardless of experience.

Wednesday 7.30-9.30 pm

Logie and St John's (Cross) Parish Church Hall

Blackness Avenue (entrance on Shaftesbury Terrace)

Price: £5

For more information (including a map), or to be placed on the e-mail list, please contact Cathrine Holtet on theweevikingATyahoo.co.uk

Giddy Giraffe and I tried a couple of lessons with the Edinburgh Students Tango Society. They were good, but the time was inconvenient.

From the list of tango classes (http://www.edinburghtango.org.uk/tango/tangoclasses.php) in Edinburgh, I quite fancy the idea of Sunday's before going to Stirling, although the timing would be a bit tight.

The Monday's at Dance for All (http://www.danceforall.co.uk/)look interesting, but their web site does not have the dates for the start of the new term and you have to book up for a whole term before starting (although I suspect that if you turned up wanting to trial a class they would let you).

The other option is the Thursdays, again at Dance for All, but I haven't heard anything about the couple teaching then, and the same applies about paying for a whole term. It would fit in quite nicely with going on to Marcos later whilst the higher classes are on.

Let me know what you think.

Aleks
2nd-February-2006, 11:21 AM
The other option is the Thursdays, again at Dance for All, but I haven't heard anything about the couple teaching then, and the same applies about paying for a whole term. It would fit in quite nicely with going on to Marcos later whilst the higher classes are on.

I heard last night that you can pay as you go for the Thursday classes.....

The Passion Harem
12th-February-2006, 08:45 PM
I went to Dance for All in Stockbridge beginners and Improvers last year. Just paid for the classes as I went. You can buy the 12 week term for the price of 10 weeks - £5.50 a hour class (last year).

The two teachers Jenni and Monica are good and went with the pace of the class. However as it is a drop in arrangement and sometimes you went back a step, which is good for AT(you can never get enough of the basics). You can catch all the teachers in the Counting House and they are very approachable for a dance. Jenni is a great leader and have seen her dance with many women in the past. I went to the free class at the Counting House for two months before I ventured in to a class. I am about to try the Monday night at Dance for All.

CJ
13th-February-2006, 12:23 PM
I did The Counting House last Sunday.

Was confused: was the class free or not?? I ended up not paying anything, so if I am due someone, I shall rectify it..

Anyway, I thought it was very good, and I intend to go back as soon as possible.:grin:

senorita
13th-February-2006, 04:14 PM

Of course ( :rolleyes: ) there are also variants of Argentine Tango, but let's not go there...

Can you explain the difference between the two please?? :blush:

And can you explain the variants of Argentine Tango???

Moraganne
13th-February-2006, 06:39 PM
I did The Counting House last Sunday.

Was confused: was the class free or not?? I ended up not paying anything, so if I am due someone, I shall rectify it..

Anyway, I thought it was very good, and I intend to go back as soon as possible.:grin:

The Sunday evening class is free. There is a £2 charge if you stay to dance later. :clap: :clap:

David Bailey
14th-February-2006, 09:45 AM
Can you explain the difference between the two please?? :blush:
Basically, Argentine Tango is more improvised, done to different music, and is a bit more of a street dance. Ballroom tango is more, well, ballroom-y; strictly defined competitive-oriented dance.

In terms of cultural differences, think of cha-cha-cha (Ballroom) versus salsa (Argentine).

And can you explain the variants of Argentine Tango???
To quote This Tango site (http://www.tangowiki.com/index.php/Main_Page), there are a number of styles of Argentine Tango:

Tango Canyengue
Tango Liso
Salon Tango
Tango Orillero
Tango Milonguero (Tango Apilado)
Vals (the tango version of waltz)
Milonga (a related dance that has a faster tempo)
Show Tango (also known as Fantasia)

Oh, and Tango Nuevo, apparently.

I've no idea what any of these styles are, but they're described in that site, happy reading :)

Lynn
14th-February-2006, 12:19 PM
To quote This Tango site (http://www.tangowiki.com/index.php/Main_Page), there are a number of styles of Argentine Tango:

Tango Canyengue
Tango Liso
Salon Tango
Tango Orillero
Tango Milonguero (Tango Apilado)
Vals (the tango version of waltz)
Milonga (a related dance that has a faster tempo)
Show Tango (also known as Fantasia)Oh, and Tango Nuevo, apparently.

I've no idea what any of these styles are, but they're described in that site, happy reading :)Oh help! I'm not even going to follow that link as I'm starting to feel a bit overwhelmed by the sheer variety of tango styles, steps and music. :tears: And whether I can ever get to grips with it!

And I've already been told by a local dancer "salon style is the only 'proper' tango"...

David Bailey
14th-February-2006, 12:53 PM
Oh help! I'm not even going to follow that link as I'm starting to feel a bit overwhelmed by the sheer variety of tango styles, steps and music. :tears: And whether I can ever get to grips with it!
Stick with it - from what I hear everyone, but everyone, feels that way about it at the start. The fact that it's so painful is an indication that it's worthwhile in the end.

I feel it's perfectly valid to ignore all the tango styles stuff for now - unless you're going to several different teachers and they're teaching contradictory things. It's like different styles of salsa - it's still all salsa, the basics and technique are the same, and any competent salsa dancer should be able to switch between them without too much trouble.

Getting involved in the "which style is best" debate, especially now (i.e. we're beginners) is a waste of energy, and it's probably a zero-sum game in the long term anyway. Life's too short to argue about this sort of thing (and yes, this is me saying it :) )

And I've already been told by a local dancer "salon style is the only 'proper' tango"...
That's nothing, I heard from a man down the pub... etc. Or, "Whateva" :rolleyes:

In other words, stick with learning, we've got 10 years of walking to do yet, remember? :whistle:

LMC
14th-February-2006, 12:58 PM
I prefer to think of it as 9 years and 49 weeks. So much less demoralising.

Interesting read, but I agree, it's enough that we're differentiating between Ballroom and Argentine Tango for the moment!

Lynn
14th-February-2006, 01:42 PM
Stick with it - from what I hear everyone, but everyone, feels that way about it at the start. The fact that it's so painful is an indication that it's worthwhile in the end. I will, and I love learning so in one sense its great to know that this is something I can learn about for years.

I feel it's perfectly valid to ignore all the tango styles stuff for now - unless you're going to several different teachers and they're teaching contradictory things. It's like different styles of salsa - it's still all salsa, the basics and technique are the same, and any competent salsa dancer should be able to switch between them without too much trouble.
I think I just shouldn't look at any more websites on AT for a while, they are what are making me feel overwhelmed, especially when they seem to contradict each other. (Possibly in a way that I will understand as I progress).

Getting involved in the "which style is best" debate, especially now (i.e. we're beginners) is a waste of energy, and it's probably a zero-sum game in the long term anyway. Life's too short to argue about this sort of thing (and yes, this is me saying it :) )Oh I agree about this completely! When I was told that 'x style is the only proper style' I just smiled and pleaded ignorance on different styles. Likewise when I was told there were only certain teachers worth learning from (none of which are in NI). I'm happy with my teacher, I think she is doing a great job.