PDA

View Full Version : Video of yourself dancing - go for it!

Feelingpink
29th-January-2006, 10:56 PM
I've never been a wild fan of video, but it's just hit me how wonderful it can be. This week, I got a couple of clips of me dancing at two events. My dancing isn't that special and the quality of the videos isn't the best in the world, but you can see what I'm doing and hear the music. I was keen to get them so I could send copies to my mum in Australia (she does ballroom dancing & isn't entirely sure what MJ is, so this seemed a good way of showing her). It struck me that MJ is something I've been doing for a number of years and here is a way of capturing something of what I've learned.

For those of you who haven't yet got video footage of yourselves dancing, I'd suggest getting some. Like a total girl, I wished I was wearing different clothes and had been on a diet first, but even so, it's so nice to have, like a photo of you and your mates hugging each other & grinning at a party when you've all had a few too many. It's something to dig out & watch when I'm old & can't dance any more. So dig out those video recorders & digi cameras with video capability.

Tazmanian Devil
30th-January-2006, 12:12 AM
Videoing yourself dancing is a great idea.:clap: Myself and Dirty D video ourselves generally on a weekly basis and have been for the last few months. We find it a great way to improve the moves we are learning at the present time. We are quite hard on ourselves when it comes to perfection. but when we look back over previous weeks footage we can really see an improvement. :clap: I think it's a great way of improving your dance style and tecnique. :kiss: :hug:

Dorothy
30th-January-2006, 02:40 PM
Tazmanian Devil Videoing yourself dancing is a great idea. Myself and Dirty D video ourselves generally on a weekly basis and have been for the last few months. We find it a great way to improve the moves we are learning at the present time. We are quite hard on ourselves when it comes to perfection. but when we look back over previous weeks footage we can really see an improvement. I think it's a great way of improving your dance style and tecnique.
are we talking dancing?

Tazmanian Devil
30th-January-2006, 02:42 PM
are we talking dancing?
Yes we are :blush: you have made me blush now.

Icey
30th-January-2006, 03:06 PM
This is something I've been meaning to get off my bum and arrange. It's all very well other people saying that I look OK but I want to see it for myself and work on particular areas that are highlighted.

fletch
30th-January-2006, 03:19 PM
This is something I've been meaning to get off my bum and arrange. It's all very well other people saying that I look OK but I want to see it for myself and work on particular areas that are highlighted.

We ask each other to watch and be critical, it seem to work or if we spot something we tell each other, but you have to be good freinds to do that otherwise you could come across bitchy:flower:

fletch
30th-January-2006, 03:21 PM
Videoing yourself dancing is a great idea.:clap: Myself and Dirty D video ourselves generally on a weekly basis and have been for the last few months. We find it a great way to improve the moves we are learning at the present time. We are quite hard on ourselves when it comes to perfection. but when we look back over previous weeks footage we can really see an improvement. :clap: I think it's a great way of improving your dance style and tecnique. :kiss: :hug:

Can Dirty D be improved:drool:

:rofl:

:flower:

Icey
30th-January-2006, 04:02 PM
We ask each other to watch and be critical, it seem to work or if we spot something we tell each other, but you have to be good freinds to do that otherwise you could come across bitchy:flower:

Fletch, next time we're at the same venue I'm booking you for the old fashioned low-tech version :) :flower:

WittyBird
30th-January-2006, 04:07 PM
Fletch, next time we're at the same venue I'm booking you for the old fashioned low-tech version :) :flower:

As Fletch's Newly and Self Appointed agent, I beg to differ. Now PM me for costs :wink:

WittyBird - Agent to Fletch & Official Ticket Tout :waycool:

Donna
30th-January-2006, 04:22 PM
Yep filming yourself is a fab idea especially if you take your dancing deadly serious. It helps you to improve more and more.

Tazmanian Devil
31st-January-2006, 01:35 AM

Although Dirty D is an amazing dancer we both have the same attitude as in there is always room for improvement and always sooo much more to learn :flower: Just tonight we were practising 3 new moves we got from a dvd 2 I think we have the other one needs a bit of work :sick:
:kiss: :hug:

David Bailey
31st-January-2006, 10:38 AM
Just tonight we were practising 3 new moves we got from a dvd 2 I think we have the other one needs a bit of work :sick:
Definitely still talking dancing, yes? :innocent:

Tazmanian Devil
31st-January-2006, 12:48 PM
Definitely still talking dancing, yes? :innocent:
Yes:whistle: Do you want to come try them :whistle:

David Bailey
31st-January-2006, 01:16 PM
Yes:whistle: Do you want to come try them :whistle:
Actually, I was thinking of borrowing the DVD... :wink:

I'll get me coat.

Tazmanian Devil
31st-January-2006, 01:21 PM
Actually, I was thinking of borrowing the DVD... :wink:

I'll get me coat.
Will slip you into my.......

......Diary

senorita
31st-January-2006, 01:33 PM
Myself and Dirty D video ourselves generally on a weekly basis and have been for the last few months. :kiss: :hug:

oh yeah!? :wink:

Tazmanian Devil
31st-January-2006, 01:36 PM
oh yeah!? :wink:
Here was me thinking this was going to be a clean thread:innocent:
How wrong can one little devil be :flower:

Dirty D
31st-January-2006, 01:36 PM

If only that was the truth Fletch! I've got a long way to go, but i'm doing it for the benifit of all those lovely ladies like yourself!

Little Monkey
31st-January-2006, 01:38 PM
I hate watching myself dance on video/dvd!!

It's much worse if you know you're being filmed, as I immediately become too self-conscious and stiff, and my movement is just too unnatural and awkward.. :(

However, I did see myself dancing on tv many, many years ago (back when I was a young thing, and bloody fit!), and as I wasn't really aware of the camera pointing at me; we were being filmed all day, but there were loads of people there, and we didn't dance individually in front of the camera. You never knew when they were aiming the camera at you, as you were too busy dancing and enjoying yourself! And looking at that, I was quite happy with my dancing, although of course, being a girl, I wish I looked better, was slimmer, was wearing sexier clothes etc etc etc.

So - as long as I'm not aware of being filmed, I'm ok-ish...... Still cringe when I see the video footage, though.

drathzel
31st-January-2006, 01:40 PM
I have been filmed a few times and when i watch it back i spend the whole time pulling myself apart, but thats ok.

Donna
31st-January-2006, 02:58 PM
we were being filmed all day, but there were loads of people there, and we didn't dance individually in front of the camera. You never knew when they were aiming the camera at you, as you were too busy dancing and enjoying yourself!

You're always too aware of them at first but after a couple of hours you do tend to forget. When I did Strictly Dance Fever I was a bit camera shy to start off with, but because they're constantly filming you all day and doing quite a few interviews, you just get used to it. The only problem with completely forgetting about them is you might let yourself go to much and make a fool of yourself. I did that by swearing!

robd
31st-January-2006, 03:52 PM
I was lucky enough to request and receive a camcorder for Christmas and the principal object of wanting one was to film myself dancing to see areas for improvement and how it looked generally. I have actually only used it a handful of times and have a slight problem in that the room we use is not big enough to get a shot that shows our feet and heads simulultaneously (even with a wide angle lens) so it's one or t'other!

Nonetheless it's been interesting to see. My impressions are that I look neither as good as I had hoped nor as bad as I feared. Interestingly some moves that felt awkward and or mistimed as we danced them looked okay on reviewing proving to my mind further that there is a significant difference between how a dance looks and how it feels.

One consequence of this videoing is the purchase of some longer T shirts - seeing how much belly you're exposing on a step across is not pleasant :blush:

Robert

Northants Girly
31st-January-2006, 05:12 PM
One consequence of this videoing is the purchase of some longer T shirts - seeing how much belly you're exposing on a step across is not pleasant :blush:
I wouldn't worry - I'm sure it was just the camera angle ;)

Donna
31st-January-2006, 06:39 PM
I wouldn't worry - I'm sure it was just the camera angle ;)