PDA

View Full Version : question

foksie
29th-January-2006, 04:12 AM
Sorry to be misinformed... is ceroc similar to Rockabilly or are they different completely, I have dance rockabilly, lindy hop and rock'n'roll styles so i was wondering if this is a new style?

Thanks!

Yliander
29th-January-2006, 04:48 AM
Sorry to be misinformed... is ceroc similar to Rockabilly or are they different completely, I have dance rockabilly, lindy hop and rock'n'roll styles so i was wondering if this is a new style?

Thanks! Ceroc is completely different to rockabilly.

It has similarites to all the styles mentioned but is not any of them. it is rather slower than rockabilly.

I would highly recommend checking out a class to really get a feel for it.

Caro
29th-January-2006, 12:19 PM

Thanks!

I used to do a little bit of rock'n'roll back in France, but although a lot of moves are similar, ceroc is different because:
- you can dance it to a wide, wide range of music (almost anything)
- you dance twice as slow (every other beat), giving you a lot more time to express yourself - it's also less tiring!!! :devil:
- there's no 'real' footwork - well at least at the beginning, making it quite easier than r'n'r

Overall I found it much easier and a lot more addictive than rock'n'roll !!!
You've got to try it out, and let me know afterwards! (although being used to rock, it felt really really weird :what: at the beginning and took me 4 or 5 classes to start 'getting it' and enjoying it.... almost gave up after class 3, I am soooooo glad I didn't :clap: :clap: :clap: )

Gadget
29th-January-2006, 09:33 PM
... almost gave up after class 3, I am soooooo glad I didn't :clap: :clap: :clap: ):clap::flower: So are we. :wink:

Ceroc is not as "bouncy" or "lively" as some of the other dances mentioned above - but that does not mean there is any less 'life' in the dance or any areas where you can't kick it up a notch.

Try it and see - what's the worst that could happen? *

{*Theoretically: lots and lots, but none very likley :wink:}

Lounge Lizard
30th-January-2006, 12:24 AM

Thanks!
hi, as you mention Rock& Roll and Rockabilly are you refering to the Australian way of distinguishing Rock & roll 'back step (or three beat) and rockabilliy (two or four beat) with no back step?

if so yes it is simmilar to Rockabilly, but the music is different, slower and more pop/Latin/swing based
This enables a more complex move patterns + greater musicality (well that is the theory)

I would class Rockabilly as the true roots of classic 50's Rock & Roll performed by artists such as early Elvis, Carl Perkins, Sid King, sonny Burges etc. and R&R with the likes of Bill Haley, Buddy Holly etc.
In the UK dancing to Rockabilly involves very fast Jive or Bopping, most tracks are in the 180bpm - 220bpm range

I would suggest you try Ceroc, and as others have said hang on in there for a few weeks - but dont give up the Rock & Roll
Peter

foksie
30th-January-2006, 08:44 AM
Thanks all for your help! :hug:

Yes I was referring to the Australian version, the way you described both of those is exactly right.

I like the fast pace and to be able to make your own style, rockabilly was my favourite so that is why I wasn't sure, I saw a few animations/videos of people doing ceroc and it looked similar. That is why I asked. I haven't heard of the style before this site. Do you know if it is common in Australia?

Is there as much difference in the male:female partners who know the dance. Of all the dances I've learned there is a ratio of about 1:6 at least!

David Bailey
30th-January-2006, 09:32 AM
I haven't heard of the style before this site. Do you know if it is common in Australia?
Hi foksie!

There are a couple of Australian sites you may find useful:

http://www.ceroc.com.au/ - Ceroc in Australia (including the Australian Ceroc forum (http://www.cerocforum.com))
http://www.cerocaustralia.com.au/ - another Ceroc in Australia site :)

Hope those help.

Lounge Lizard
30th-January-2006, 11:01 AM

Yes I was referring to the Australian version, the way you described both of those is exactly right.

I like the fast pace and to be able to make your own style, rockabilly was my favourite so that is why I wasn't sure, I saw a few animations/videos of people doing ceroc and it looked similar. That is why I asked. I haven't heard of the style before this site. Do you know if it is common in Australia?

Is there as much difference in the male:female partners who know the dance. Of all the dances I've learned there is a ratio of about 1:6 at least!In that case Ceroc is probably more like Australian Rock & Roll although the four beat style is simmilar to rockabilly, the Ceroc Tempo 120 to 140 bpm on average is much slower than your Rockabilly style.
Best thing is to try it and see
How popular is Rock & roll &/or Rockabilly down under?
peter

Yliander
30th-January-2006, 11:35 AM

Is there as much difference in the male:female partners who know the dance. Of all the dances I've learned there is a ratio of about 1:6 at least!very common in Australia in addition to the sites David James offered there is also

www.cerocperth.com.au

www.lestep.com.au

www.cerocmelbourne.com.au

www.cerocadelaide.com.au

www.lebop.com.au

www.man

the ratios are generally pretty good - fairly even - and some weeks girls over and some weeks boys over - but rarely excessive numbers