PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Partners?

bettyboop
27th-January-2006, 12:46 PM
Hi

Being new to Ceroc and having attended 5 or so classes in the last few weeks. I've already got a few "favourite" partners to dance with. Mainly because they are great leads and I think I can dance a bit more confidently with them. Still too shy to ask just anyone up for a boogie as yet - but have asked "my favourites":wink:

Just wondered what your thoughts are on this....

Thanks
bb

TheTramp
27th-January-2006, 12:49 PM
Sounds completely reasonable....

Have you made it out to Peterculter yet btw? :D

bettyboop
27th-January-2006, 12:56 PM
Sounds completely reasonable....

Have you made it out to Peterculter yet btw? :D

Not yet - Tuesday is not a great night for me, but I'm sure I'll manage a night there soon!

TheTramp
27th-January-2006, 12:58 PM
Tuesday is not a great night for me,

It would be though, if you came to Peterculter :na: :whistle:

Lee
27th-January-2006, 01:31 PM
Hi

Being new to Ceroc and having attended 5 or so classes in the last few weeks. I've already got a few "favourite" partners to dance with. Mainly because they are great leads and I think I can dance a bit more confidently with them. Still too shy to ask just anyone up for a boogie as yet - but have asked "my favourites":wink:

Just wondered what your thoughts are on this....

Thanks
bb

Yes & No

You need good leads to build your confidence and to help you to learn to dance, but dancing with many leaders will expose you to different moves, styles and abilities. This will provide you with a better understand generally and IMO allow you to develop yourself as a better dancer.

The problem for women having favourite leaders is they start seeing a repetition of moves and start to second guess what is coming up.

Lee

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
27th-January-2006, 03:37 PM
Yes & No

You need good leads to build your confidence and to help you to learn to dance, but dancing with many leaders will expose you to different moves, styles and abilities. This will provide you with a better understand generally and IMO allow you to develop yourself as a better dancer.

The problem for women having favourite leaders is they start seeing a repetition of moves and start to second guess what is coming up.

Lee
:yeah: :yeah:

linny lou!
27th-January-2006, 04:06 PM
yeh i totally have favourite partners! :clap: i think its just natural that u prefer to dance with certain people! every1s different! I do agree that dancing with different people will expose you to a wider range of styles and moves but for me (im new too!) i found dancing with my "favourite" partners a few times boosted my confidence to then dance with other people!! :D

LMC
27th-January-2006, 04:23 PM
A very wise and wonderful woman who is also a fabulous dancer once said to me that beginners really *need* to dance with people who are better than them so that they can improve.

When followers get a bit more experienced, and don't have to concentrate so hard on following as they would with a more experienced leader then if they are dancing with a beginner lead, the follower can think a bit about style and technique. I went through a phase when dancing with beginner leads was a bit boring to be honest - I was good enough to be bored with their limited moves, but NOT good enough to multi-task by thinking about my spare arm, where my weight was, spinning technique, etc. Now I can really focus on those things (and I need to :blush: ) when dancing with leads who are not as experienced as me, which means I enjoy dancing with them more. Doesn't mean I'm not thinking about style etc when I'm dancing with a more experienced lead - but I have to concentrate more on following then.

I didn't believe Lory when she told me all this would happen either - but it's true :rofl:

So don't feel bad about having favourites - we all do - but especially as you get more experience, don't forget the beginners "behind you" either (I'm sure you won't :nice: )

robd
27th-January-2006, 05:00 PM
I think having favourite partners is natural and nothing to be concerned by. My experience is that my favourite partners have often changed over time as my dancing style evolves and people who were favourites when I began dancing I no longer click with in the same way. Again I don't see a concern in this.

However I would caution against sticking with just your favourites as you'll never know what you are missing otherwise. I had been going to Cambridge Ceroc on Wednesdays for almost a year before I danced with the lady who is (IMHO) the best follower there (and therefore most definitely a favourite partner) yet she had been attending on the same nights as I did and we had just never managed to dance together. She is not showy or overflowing with stylistic flourishes but she follows like a dream, turns on the spot and has just the right level of eye contact - what more can a man ask?? Strangely enough it was at a freestyle at a different venue that I first asked her to dance and she's stayed on my 'must ask' list ever since.

Robert

Trousers
27th-January-2006, 06:58 PM
It would be though, if you came to Peterculter :na: :whistle:
How's his wife Mary?