PDA

View Full Version : The Forum’s speaking to me. . .

Rebecca
27th-January-2006, 11:54 AM
:confused:

Apologies for the self-obsession (it’s pathological, I’m not responsible), but I just wanted to ask if the forum ‘speaks’ to anyone else?

I realise it strikes of magical thinking (I’m sane really :what: ) but it seems recently that whenever I have an issue in my private life, a thread is either started up about it or (and this freaks me out), an old thread is resurrected with no apparent new post to explain it’s appearance on ‘recent threads’. :confused:

Do the moderators sometimes resurrect old threads just for fun / to stir up debate? And if so, do I have a guardian angel in the form of a moderator? (I’d like Lory to be mine):flower:

Recent Examples:

In the early (shall we commit?) stages of a relationship a thread was started on marriage and commitment which proved to be a good source of encouragement :wink:

I was considering starting to learn to lead in freestyle as my dance partner likes to follow occasionally, and inexplicably the ‘Women dancing as men’ thread appeared with a last post of months before. The discussion then took on a life of its own on another thread ‘Men dancing as followers’ – this gave me the inspiration to start leading and it’s been successful so far :clap:

After having given up smoking a few months ago I have had a couple of lapses and was just considering another when the ‘has the forum influenced smoking blah blah’ thread was resurrected without any recent posts, and with a congratulations to me from Whitebeard for giving up. Gulp. . . freaked out, off for a cigarette to figure it out :innocent:

I’m sure there must be other examples – how has the forum guided your dance / life decisions?

Lynn
27th-January-2006, 12:06 PM
Relationships, lead and follow and smoking are all topics that come up fairly frequently on here, its possible that its just that they have stood out for you because those subjects are already in your thoughts?

Threads that are 'resurrected' without recent posts are ones with polls - someone votes on the poll so the thread comes back as active, but the last post could still have been ages ago.

Glad its all been positive stuff for you. :hug:

I’m sure there must be other examples – how has the forum guided your dance / life decisions?If it has - that's a rather scary thought...

Dreadful Scathe
27th-January-2006, 12:30 PM
Its really like warblings of tiny marsupials heard from a great distance, with the occasional "Braaaaaay"

I listen though.

Rebecca
27th-January-2006, 12:48 PM
Relationships, lead and follow and smoking are all topics that come up fairly frequently on here, its possible that its just that they have stood out for you because those subjects are already in your thoughts?

The rational alternative - boo!;)

If it has - that's a rather scary thought...

Why? Perhaps it should have read: how has the forum been the trigger for pre-existing decision-making processes, or the proverbial kick up the a**e? But still I maintain that we can be persuaded by the ramblings of a bunch of 'virtual' strangers as much (if not more) than the views of our nearest and dearest.

All rhetorical, but still (it's Friday)

P.S (DS :rofl: )

TheTramp
27th-January-2006, 12:52 PM
Quick. Someone start a thread suggesting that all people called Rebecca should send money to my address in Dundee.....

drathzel
27th-January-2006, 12:54 PM
Quick. Someone start a thread suggesting that all people called Rebecca should send money to my address in Dundee.....

:yeah: but before they do they should take a trip to Northern Ireland to dance!:clap:

Rebecca
27th-January-2006, 01:27 PM
:yeah: but before they do they should take a trip to Northern Ireland to dance!:clap:

I can feel a tour coming on :clap: (who said that?)

Lory
27th-January-2006, 01:53 PM
Threads that are 'resurrected' without recent posts are ones with polls - someone votes on the poll so the thread comes back as active, but the last post could still have been ages ago.

Aww Lynn, you've spoilt my fun, I quite liked the thought of being someones guardian angel :innocent: :na:

Lynn
27th-January-2006, 02:01 PM
Perhaps it should have read: how has the forum been the trigger for pre-existing decision-making processes, or the proverbial kick up the a**e? But still I maintain that we can be persuaded by the ramblings of a bunch of 'virtual' strangers as much (if not more) than the views of our nearest and dearest.True!

Aww Lynn, you've spoilt my fun, I quite liked the thought of being someones guardian angel :innocent: :na::blush: Sorry - I'm sure you are anyway...

LMC
27th-January-2006, 02:05 PM
... ramblings of a bunch of 'virtual' strangers ...
Do they come any stranger than us?

The forum has definitely had an impact on my dancing - including convincing me to take up Tango (yeay, I got here first). And I've learned lots of stuff about all sorts of things, not just dancing. Otherwise I don't think it's had any effect on me, I've pretty much always been Evil.

CJ
27th-January-2006, 02:27 PM
Do they come any stranger than us?

How strangely do you come, LMC??:whistle:

Donna
27th-January-2006, 02:35 PM

Hey! How's it going over there?

I think the 'talk about dance' section has helped me more. The advice shared by loads of experienced dancers has helped me with my dancing...especially on holding frames and following.

Also I think threads like 'Jokes' is the type that brings people to get to know each other better.

Best forum in the world!

Sheepman
27th-January-2006, 03:25 PM
its possible that its just that they have stood out for you because those subjects are already in your thoughts? I know it's less fun, but I'm inclined to agree with Lynn here. There is that magical "synchronicity" thing, where once you become interested in something, (or someone,) there seem to be references wherever you turn. But I'm sure that's down to the fact that you are more likely to notice these things due to a heightened state of awareness, rather than enything else.

So yes, there have been threads that have appeared just as a topic seems important to me, but then, there are so many more that have little relevance. :really:
Sorry if I'm adding another pin to the team of bubble bursters! :blush:

Greg

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
27th-January-2006, 03:32 PM
I think i'm probably found posting in the chit chat section of the forum moreso than anywhere else, which is strange because i'm very quiet and shy in "real life" :blush: :whistle:

Oh, and Rebecca, I think I resurected a thread this week when I was searching the forum, might have been that women dancing as men thread, don't know. Oops :devil:

Rebecca
27th-January-2006, 03:54 PM
:confused:
Oh, and Rebecca, I think I resurected a thread this week when I was searching the forum, might have been that women dancing as men thread, don't know. Oops :devil:

So you're the angel then :flower: - Thanks for that x

Sorry if I'm adding another pin to the team of bubble bursters!

Nah, nothing's bursting this bubble at the moment. Quite like the Synchronicity idea too (whatever works).

Is this the point I direct everyone towards the Celestine Phrophecy series? My years of being an athiest and (quasi-scientific) psychologist haven't stopped an open mind to these things. Sometimes people come into our lives to guide us / bring us messages - perhaps, who knows