PDA

View Full Version : Bristol people are friendliest in the country!

Lou
19th-February-2003, 12:02 PM
I just read an interesting article (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2776971.stm) stating that people from Bristol are the friendliest in Britain, according to a recent Comic Relief survey. Personally, I think we're a miserable bunch, myself. :wink:

What got me wondering, though, is the wildly differing results for Edinburgh & Glasgow.... Any comments? (btw... just proves what we always say about Londoners...)

Smile Census /100
Bristol - 70
Glasgow - 68
Exeter - 54
Manchester - 54
Wrexham - 42
Cardiff - 41
Liverpool - 41
Norwich - 35
Newcastle - 32
Birmingham - 31
Southampton - 24
London - 18
Nottingham - 12
Edinburgh - 4

TheTramp
19th-February-2003, 12:11 PM
Bristol comedian Tony Robinson said: "We do smile a lot in the city, but sometimes it is not really a smile - we are just a little bit constipatedI'm gonna go with Tony Robinson....

Steve

Gus
19th-February-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Lou
Smile Census /100

Glasgow - 68
Edinburgh - 4 Now THATS an interesting statistic! Anyone want to venture why just a few miles can make such a big difference??:wink:

TheTramp
19th-February-2003, 12:47 PM
Well, the thing with statistics is that it's only a basis for a theory.

How about this possibility as to why there's a difference. When they ran the trial in Glasgow, it was (reasonably) warm and dry. When they ran it in Edinburgh, it was cold and wet.

Another possibility for the difference. They ran it in Edinburgh at 8:30 in the morning, when everyone was going to work. They ran it in Glasgow at 5:30 in the evening, when everyone was on the way home from work.

How about this possibility. In Edinburgh, the people doing the research were ugly men, smiling mainly at other men. In Glasow, the people doing the research were gorgeous young women, smiling mainly at men.

The figures don't give any details on how they were collected, the sample size, or anything. Like all surveys, I'd treat it with a pince of salt. Or in this case, a whole bucketful...

Steve

CJ
19th-February-2003, 12:47 PM
Something to do with simple minds being the easiest to amuse?!?!?!?!:what:

Dance Demon
19th-February-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Ceroc Jock
Something to do with simple minds being the easiest to amuse?!?!?!?!:what:

Way to go CJ!!!!
I have a mate from Glasgow that says that when Glasgow folk chat away to you and ask you loads of questions, it's not because they are friendly....just nosey!!!:na:
DD:devil:

Dreadful Scathe
19th-February-2003, 01:09 PM
Did they do this test in Craigmillar ? :) Do the cities get points docked for 'what the **** are you smiling at?' responses ? :)

(apparantly the test was the researchers grinning inanely at people and if they grinned back they were counted )

Dance Demon
19th-February-2003, 01:17 PM
In some areas of Edinburgh, It can be a bit dodgy for a guy to smile at another guy.......if you know what I mean:wink:

Janet
19th-February-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Lou
Smile Census /100

Glasgow - 68
Edinburgh - 4
It's a well known fact that Glasgow smiles better :D

John S
19th-February-2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Lou
Smile Census /100

Glasgow - 68
Edinburgh - 4 I tested this today, driving west along the M8:
- by Bathgate the corners of my lips were twitching,
- by Whitburn I had a playful smile,
- by Harthill I was grinning inanely
- and just as I got to Baillieston I started to laugh out loud

Fortunately my doctor had phoned ahead, so I was intercepted and brought back home safely before I could get to Glasgow City Centre, where doubtless I would have been hysterical.

And what if I had been allowed to keep on driving to Greenock???? Too awful a thought.
:sick:

Dance Demon
20th-February-2003, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by John S

And what if I had been allowed to keep on driving to Greenock???? Too awful a thought.
:sick:

You bet!!!! I cant think of any good reason to go to Greenock...
and it would probably be raining:wink:

Emma
20th-February-2003, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by Dance Demon
You bet!!!! I cant think of any good reason to go to Greenock...
and it would probably be raining:wink:

Demon, just wanted to say how impressed I am that you had a post today at 11.47 am, and another one almost exactly 12 hours later at 11.44 pm. That's what I call service beyond the call of duty :) Well done! :cheers:

Bill
20th-February-2003, 05:07 PM
Well coming from happy smily Aberdeen :rolleyes: I can say that the figures would back up the old stereotypes of Glasgow being rougher but friendlier than Edinburgh which is meant to be more duce, rather more pretentious with the 'fur coat and nae knickers' brigade. :sick: :sorry

Maybe the people not smiling in Edinburgh are those thinking about how much they need to earn to buy a property in the city.

Mind you having been to Brighton and looked at one estate agents I couldn't afford a room let alone a flat or house :what: Made Aberdeen seem positively cheap.

Anyway..........never been to Bristol.............made it to Bath last year and intend to get to Bristol this year so see how friendly eveyone is............especially the dancers :wink: :na:

Dance Demon
20th-February-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Emma
Demon, just wanted to say how impressed I am that you had a post today at 11.47 am, and another one almost exactly 12 hours later at 11.44 pm. That's what I call service beyond the call of duty :) Well done! :cheers:

Why....... thank you very much Emma. I did notice this myself, but didn't think anyone else would. It was sheer chance though. I had a day off work, hence the reason for the 11.47am posting.
I'd normally have been at work for 4 hours by that time.
:cheers:

Lou
21st-February-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Bill
Anyway..........never been to Bristol.............made it to Bath last year and intend to get to Bristol this year so see how friendly eveyone is............especially the dancers :wink: :na:
We're all miserable buggers, honestly. But we'd still love to see you! :wink:

TheTramp
21st-February-2003, 01:41 PM
It's not true Bill. Lou is a miserable bugger. But the rest of them were very friendly!! :D

Steve

Lou
22nd-February-2003, 11:54 AM
Yeah - you're right, Steve! :na: :na: :na:

DavidB
24th-February-2003, 07:20 PM
Another interesting survey (http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/lifeandstyle/articles/3539136?source=Evening%20Standard) , but I think Gus must have tampered with the results...

"London took second place - behind Manchester - for having the most attractive men"

"Nearly one in three women said men in London had a lot to learn about impressing them on the dancefloor "

David

Gus
25th-February-2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by DavidB
Another interesting survey (http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/lifeandstyle/articles/3539136?source=Evening%20Standard) , but I think Gus must have tampered with the results...

"London took second place - behind Manchester - for having the most attractive men"

David Ahem ... what can I say ... modesty prevents me re-iterating the obvious :sorry .

All I will say is that we managed to tempt at leat one fair rose from Scotland to Manchester (Laura) .... after realising the unbridled charms of the Manchester Male populance (the fair Keith is also a local resident) I doubt she will be the last!:waycool: