PDA

View Full Version : Crippling Dance Shoes!!!

Donna
26th-January-2006, 02:49 PM
I'm sure I'll get more ladies comments on this thread but...I've just bought a new pair of dance shoes and with me being used to a 2 - 2 1/2 inch, I thought I'd try a 3 inch instead.

Well....after wearing them for only 3 hours, I found it EXTREMELY difficult walking the next day and my big toes were very swollen and sore. Today, the pain has gone slightly, but I find the joints are badly strained as I can no longer stand on my toes or bend them back properly.

Is this normal after wearing a different pair of shoes that you are not used to and would anyone recommend I keep trying them every now and then until I get used to them?

Look at these ballroom dancers..they wear them all the time and show no signs of discomfort although I'm sure they are in agony. I can understand if you have worn them like that since a young age, it's not so bad but do you know why? I was told their feet are deformed and so will shape any high heeled shoe and so suffer no pain. I have been told though, that if you aren't use to them and have just started wearing higher heels you can get BUNNIONS!!! :really:

Has anybody got any tips on how to get a more comfortable wear out of high heeled shoes and therefore can wear them for longer than just 3 hours?

Missy D
26th-January-2006, 02:57 PM
I'm sure I'll get more ladies comments on this thread but...I've just bought a new pair of dance shoes and with me being used to a 2 - 2 1/2 inch, I thought I'd try a 3 inch instead.

Well....after wearing them for only 3 hours, I found it EXTREMELY difficult walking the next day and my big toes were very swollen and sore. Today, the pain has gone slightly, but I find the joints are badly strained as I can no longer stand on my toes or bend them back properly.

Is this normal after wearing a different pair of shoes that you are not used to and would anyone recommend I keep trying them every now and then until I get used to them?

Look at these ballroom dancers..they wear them all the time and show no signs of discomfort although I'm sure they are in agony. I can understand if you have worn them like that since a young age, it's not so bad but do you know why? I was told their feet are deformed and so will shape any high heeled shoe and so suffer no pain. I have been told though, that if you aren't use to them and have just started wearing higher heels you can get BUNNIONS!!! :really:

Has anybody got any tips on how to get a more comfortable wear out of high heeled shoes and therefore can wear them for longer than just 3 hours?

I dance sometimes in 3 inch heels and my legs do feel a little tight the next day. I find if you stretch lots before and after dancing this help so much. Dont know where you purchased your shoes, I got mine from Heavenly Dance Shoes and have had no problems. I know party feet do a range of jelly things to put inside shoes this might help you. Failing that you could get them sawn down half an inch as i did a few months ago with a spare pair. This will not alter the shape and at least you will be able to dance in them more comfortably.

Oh and i have no bunnions, crossed toes etc.

Happy dancing! Dx

KatieR
26th-January-2006, 05:35 PM
Being short, I generally dance in at least 3 inch heels. What I tend to do is take a flat pair of practice shoes to where I am going to be dancing with me and as soon as my feet get a bit sore, I will change my shoes.

Trish
26th-January-2006, 05:54 PM
I have a pair of shoes which are 2.5 inch heels and I find I can't wear them for too long at Ceroc - I'm ok with 2 inch. Strangely I find the higher shoes are good for ballroom though, as they lengthen your leg and I get my feet trodden on less (I've not been doing it all that long! :o ) - I can do ballroom on them for 2 1/2 hours, but my feet hurt at the end. If you stretch your feet in the other direction by kneeling down, pushing into the ground with your hands and then gradually lifting your knees off the floor this helps to some extent. Otherwise try: lavender oil/ibuprofen gel/massage/a foot spa and maybe also arnica cream (good for bruises and aparently also for bringing swelling down).

I have now bought a pair of 3 inch heeled boots (I'm not planning on dancing in those though), and they tend to also hurt my feet after standing in them for too long (but they're lovely!!!)

I would say DON'T buy the party feet type gel things - they're rubbish IMHO - every time I've worn them for dancing they just end up all scrunched up at the bottom of my shoes and then rub my feet - very uncomfortable. I've even found this wearing thick socks with them in my normal shoes. Perhaps there is a comfortable way of wearing these, if anyone knows one, please enlighten me!

The only thing I've found is to gradually get your feet used to these heights by changing into something else part way through the evening. I didn't even used to be able to wear 2 inch heels at one point, so my shoes are gradually getting higher!

Saxylady
26th-January-2006, 06:24 PM
I would say, be careful.

I suffered pain with a pair of dance shoes (not even that high, as ladies shoes go) and kept thinking it would get better as I got used to them.

The pain came and went, but was slowly worsening. Eventually it got so bad I sought medical advice. Turns out the shape and height of the shoe has permanently damaged the big toe joint and now I can't wear heels for long at all.

It sounds a good idea to have something to change into, but you may find the endorphins produced when dancing mask the pain until you've finished - then you feel it!

Poron insoles are really good.

Donna
27th-January-2006, 02:30 PM
The pain came and went, but was slowly worsening. Eventually it got so bad I sought medical advice. Turns out the shape and height of the shoe has permanently damaged the big toe joint and now I can't wear heels for long at all.

Ouch! Ok here's an update on my big toe joints everybody! :rolleyes: They are much much better today. No pain at all! :clap: And, I can stand on my toes!:clap:

As for changing shoes, I did this but still suffered afterwards! And you're right, once you stop dancing, you feel it after!

Lynn
27th-January-2006, 07:56 PM
I usually dance in heels - like KatieR (who has some really fab shoes!) this is because of my height. I have several pairs at 2 1/2" - but I have noticed that a 1/2" difference in heel height can make quite a difference to how a shoe feels.

How are your shoes strapped? Would strapped across the front of your foot pehaps help? If its your toes that are hurting perhaps your feet are sliding too far forward in the shoes?

Glad your toes are feeling better.:flower:

Saxylady
27th-January-2006, 08:20 PM
Just remembering some advice the podiatrist gave me.

Your shoes should have a wide strap that holds the foot back in the heel so your toes don't get crushed. The sole should be firm and supportive. The insides should be padded or have an insole. The toe-box should be wide enough not to press the big toe inwards or cramp the toes but not so wide that the foot slips about.

He didn't approve of high heels at all - probably having seen the damage they can do - but I think he just doesn't understand what it's like to be a girl!

Obviously many people are very happy with all sorts of shoes, depending on their feet and how they dance etc. but if you're prone to foot pain his advice might help.

jivecat
28th-January-2006, 12:20 PM
I would say, be careful.

I suffered pain with a pair of dance shoes (not even that high, as ladies shoes go) and kept thinking it would get better as I got used to them.

It sounds a good idea to have something to change into, but you may find the endorphins produced when dancing mask the pain until you've finished - then you feel it!

Poron insoles are really good.

I agree with every word of this. My feet were absolutely fine until I started Ceroc but I now have foot damage due to wearing unsuitable high heels, and, probably, bad spinning technique in the early days (both mine and my partners'). It p*sses me off every time I look at my poor, abused, little feet. The problem has settled down but I still get some pain when hillwalking and after dancing. Think about it, Donna, you'd be living with those bunions a ve-e-e-ry long time. I still wear high heels, but not more than 2", vary the height and try to wear my comfy old Bloch 538s at every possible opportunity.
Having said that, if this tango thing persists, I'm going to HAVE to acquire a pair of 4" killer stilettoes, preferably in black patent, to get the required "look".
But hopefully my technique is better now.

I also agree with everything else Saxylady said about correctly fitting footwear.
Everytime I see women at Ceroc wearing the flimsiest, highest, open footwear with tiny straps that dig in and give no support, I cringe to think how uncomfortable the shoes must be and how much damage they might be doing.

Lynn
28th-January-2006, 02:30 PM
Everytime I see women at Ceroc wearing the flimsiest, highest, open footwear with tiny straps that dig in and give no support, I cringe to think how uncomfortable the shoes must be and how much damage they might be doing.:yeah: I like to always wear my dance shoes when dancing. Apart from the fact that I have now bought several pairs and I might as well use them, I also know that dancing in unsuitable footwear is likely to have a cumlative effect. As a woman I'm particularly wary of spinning problems and knees - though our Ceroc venue has a good floor so spinning in regular shoes is OK.

So I don't care if I get odd looks when I change into my dance shoes, I just tell people I love dance shoes and have several pairs so I like to wear them - esp if a beginner sees me, so they don't think I'm some 'elite' dancer, or that they are inferior for not wearing dance shoes. But it does set an example and makes other people at least think about their footwear - and I get a lot of women asking me about dance shoes!

My only hiccups come in salsa - on the local salsa forum when I dared to comment on the dirty floors at most venues prohibiting the wearing of proper dance shoes, a salsa teacher replied that people should wear street shoes and keep their good shoes for going out for dinner! :confused:

Having said that, if this tango thing persists, I'm going to HAVE to acquire a pair of 4" killer stilettoes, preferably in black patent, to get the required "look". . Ooh - TTD on a shoe thread - the ultimate! :worthy: :worthy:

Last night at Tango I saw a woman wearing thick wedge heeled mules - how on earth can she dance in those? Then again I was told by a male tango dancer when changing back into my boots - 'why don't you get Tango shoes?'. I was wearing my Freed Marissa - 2 1/2" heel, ankle strap, black - I thought they looked pretty Tangoy already - guess you can't please everyone!

LMC
28th-January-2006, 04:35 PM
One of my big toes ached after wearing my 2" shoes all last night - seemed weird that it was only one foot that was affected though!

I agree with Lynn - you get proper footwear for other activities - different varieties of boots and trainers for specific sports, so it makes sense to get proper dancing shoes for dancing.

Maybe it's ignorance that means I fail to see what difference it makes whether you wear a closed or open toe, or what colour your shoes are, or what height the heels have. Of course it does matter for performance or competition - but apart from individual comfort/correct foot support is there any other difference what dance shoes you wear for different styles?

Lynn
28th-January-2006, 04:43 PM
Maybe it's ignorance that means I fail to see what difference it makes whether you wear a closed or open toe, or what colour your shoes are, or what height the heels have. Of course it does matter for performance or competition - but apart from individual comfort/correct foot support is there any other difference what dance shoes you wear for different styles?There might not be a technical reason but certain styles of shoes seem to suit different styles/roles in dancing for me.

I'm just starting to learn to lead but somehow it feels more 'right' to me to wear trainers or lace up shoes when leading than high heeled sparkly strappy shoes. Lower heels and lace ups also feel more appropriate for Lindy (the little I have done).

My 'decorative footwork' (my feet doing their own thing :whistle: ) happens more in heeled shoes than trainers. And heels feel better for tango.

jivecat
28th-January-2006, 07:06 PM
My only hiccups come in salsa - on the local salsa forum when I dared to comment on the dirty floors at most venues prohibiting the wearing of proper dance shoes, a salsa teacher replied that people should wear street shoes and keep their good shoes for going out for dinner! :confused:
:yeah: No point in wasting dance shoes on our salsa floor, it's got a coating of black chewing gum.

TTD TTD?:confused: :confused: Explain!

Last night at Tango I saw a woman wearing thick wedge heeled mules - how on earth can she dance in those? Then again I was told by a male tango dancer when changing back into my boots - 'why don't you get Tango shoes?'. I was wearing my Freed Marissa - 2 1/2" heel, ankle strap, black - I thought they looked pretty Tangoy already - guess you can't please everyone!
On both counts, some people have absolutely no taste! Looking forward to seeing an impressive election of shoes at the weekend, Lynn.:D

wicked blue
28th-January-2006, 07:16 PM
Big respect going out to all you ladies that wear such heels.:clap: ....I just can't dance in high heels...period!:what:

jivecat
28th-January-2006, 07:16 PM
One of my big toes ached after wearing my 2" shoes all last night - seemed weird that it was only one foot that was affected though!

Ahh, but that's how it starts. And only my right foot is affected. And I didn't notice it at first when I was dancing - endorphins and adrenaline are a powerful cocktail:drool: :D - I noticed a pain in the metatarsals whilst driving.
(Go on, you might as well.)

Maybe it's ignorance that means I fail to see what difference it makes whether you wear a closed or open toe, or what colour your shoes are, or what height the heels have. Of course it does matter for performance or competition - but apart from individual comfort/correct foot support is there any other difference what dance shoes you wear for different styles?
I don't think it matters much either - I just don't like seeing women wearing fashion styles with very thin straps because I don't think it gives any support, leaves the feet at risk from being trodden on, puts others at risk if they're stilettoes, and unless they fit very well can look revolting with bits of toe and flesh squeezing out between the straps.
I also think that the shoe should fit the style of dance if possible and the style of dress. So no boots with dresses or trainers with dressy trousers, for example. So I guess I do think it matters quite a lot. Duh.

Lynn
28th-January-2006, 09:20 PM
:yeah: No point in wasting dance shoes on our salsa floor, it's got a coating of black chewing gum. Yep, I've done the 'spinning on chewing gum' many times when I started learning salsa. Some salsa venue floors here also have added little quirks like stale beer oozing through floorboards when you stand on them and broken glass.

TTD?:confused: :confused: Explain! Tango Thread Diversion. Pioneered by DavidJames (others have followed) though temporarily overtaken by the one man mission for LTD (Lanzarote Thread Diversion) of UP.

You clearly have not been wasting enough time on this forum recently!:rolleyes:

Saxylady
28th-January-2006, 09:44 PM
Some salsa venue floors here also have added little quirks like stale beer oozing through floorboards when you stand on them and broken glass.

:eek: :sick:

Yliander
29th-January-2006, 03:55 AM
One of my big toes ached after wearing my 2" shoes all last night - seemed weird that it was only one foot that was affected though! is the toe that is aching the foot you mostly spin on ?

Maybe it's ignorance that means I fail to see what difference it makes whether you wear a closed or open toe, or what colour your shoes are, or what height the heels have. Of course it does matter for performance or competition - but apart from individual comfort/correct foot support is there any other difference what dance shoes you wear for different styles?different types of dances require you to do differnt things with your feet and the various different types of shoes for each dance style assist your feet to do this.

for example

Latin shoes allow lots of flexing and pointing

Smooth shoes provide support for proper heel leads (so I have been told never woren or danced smooth)

Tango requires firmer lines and much more pivoting - so the shoes are firmer through the sole to support this (according to one Tango teacher - closed toes that are common in tango shoes is because it is danced to close helps protect them from accidents)

due to the variety of styling in Ceroc you can wear which ever shoes suit your style/ are most comportable for you.

Personally I wear latin sandals and shoes - like the flex they have but also have a pair of character shoes that I use for teaching and demoing beginners - they have a lot less flex but MUCH more support which is great for high level of repeitions - for higher levels I would wear my normal dance shoes.

jivecat
29th-January-2006, 09:47 AM
You clearly have not been wasting enough time on this forum recently!:rolleyes:

Sorry, sorry, sorry, must keep up!

Anna
29th-January-2006, 11:27 AM

Well I can't tell you how to make it better but I can assure you it's completely normal as I suffer from exactly the same thing when I wear 3 inch heels. Lately I have gone back to wearing my 2 and 1/2s and will only wear my 3 inch if I'm wearing a skirt (as they are flesh coloured and look better).. note: It may be summer but I admit I have been avoiding wearing a skirt..

My feet probably are deformed by now but I still feel pain.. and yes the bunnions myth is true so WATCH OUT..

The only tips I can give you are.. don't wear them to and from the venue, in fact, wear them as little as possible other than when dancing.. sometimes it helps if you put strapping tape over your toes (lessens the pressure from the straps. You could try those heel/ball of the foot gel cushion things but I've found that they slide straight out of my shoes even when I try taping them to the insole of my shoe.. Other than that... lots of cool foot spray and sitting down whenever you aren't dancing? :sick:

Donna
30th-January-2006, 04:17 PM
Well I can't tell you how to make it better but I can assure you it's completely normal as I suffer from exactly the same thing when I wear 3 inch heels. Lately I have gone back to wearing my 2 and 1/2s and will only wear my 3 inch if I'm wearing a skirt (as they are flesh coloured and look better).. note: It may be summer but I admit I have been avoiding wearing a skirt..

See, that's the best thing about living down under though...you can wear skirts whenever you want to. Not in this damn country you can't though cos it's too blummin freezing! Oh yeah, and I love flesh coloured shoes too! They go with anything. I bought a really nice pair of white satin ones recently and I'm going to dye them red for the competition to match my outfit. They're only a two inch heel as well.

My feet probably are deformed by now but I still feel pain.. and yes the bunnions myth is true so WATCH OUT..

:yeah:

The only tips I can give you are.. don't wear them to and from the venue, in fact, wear them as little as possible other than when dancing.. sometimes it helps if you put strapping tape over your toes (lessens the pressure from the straps.

Well I was trying my new 3 inch heels to get used to them in time for the comp and I'm still suffering after (silly me) trying them just one more time. I've decided to have the heel taken down on them now. They're bronze and look fab.

You could try those heel/ball of the foot gel cushion things but I've found that they slide straight out of my shoes even when I try taping them to the insole of my shoe.. Other than that... lots of cool foot spray and sitting down whenever you aren't dancing? :sick:[/QUOTE]

Yeah I heard they're not so good so think I'll try the strapping tape. Are you coming to Blackpool?

Donna
1st-February-2006, 03:27 PM
Well I tried those dance shoes on again and I have to say...a bit of pain still, but no where near as bad as last time. (wonder if I'm getting used to them after all then) I'm not getting to excited...I might get BUNNIONS soon!! :eek:

Lory
9th-June-2008, 05:24 PM
Think your shoes are uncomfortable????

Take a look at these! :eek:

The latest craze from Japan!

Lory
9th-June-2008, 05:27 PM
So You think people are mad today???

Take a look at this Gasha girl's feet! :really::sick::tears:

Little Feet
9th-June-2008, 07:51 PM
I notice a big difference between my 2 and 2 1/2 inch heels - when I try on 3 inch they just seem massive, I don't think I'd stand a chance at dancing in them! Too likely to fall and break an ankle, not worth the risk for me!

Lou
9th-June-2008, 07:54 PM
Think your shoes are uncomfortable????

Take a look at these! :eek:

The latest craze from Japan!

I don't think they're meant to be danced in, Lory... :whistle:

mshedgehog
9th-June-2008, 09:05 PM
I don't think it is normal to have crushed toes, I'd say that was a poor fit, the heel is balanced at a point that isn't right for you, probably too far back, or there's a problem with the fastenings. I think there is something wrong with that pair of shoes. I wonder if a wrong balance or poor fastenings could also explain why the Party Feet don't stick - I've had this problem with some street shoes, but never with dancing shoes. However, I do always put them in before wearing the shoes for the first time, so there's no oil or dust or dead skin to unstick them. I've also noticed they're a lot stickier than they used to be, so maybe lots of people had your problem, just not me.

I think tiredness in the balls of the feet is normal, but not crushed toes.

The lowest heels I normally dance in are 7.5cm and the highest are my new CiFs at 10cm - those last ones make the backs of my calves tired, and I definitely wouldn't recommend them to a recent beginner, but they don't crush my toes. I also have a 5cm pair which I sometimes use as a change if I'm doing a long workshop or something.

However, all my dancing shoes except my Werner Kerns (http://www.werner-kern.com/) (7.5cm, soft as butter) are made specifically for AT; the soles are built and the heels are balanced in a particular way, and some of them have extra padding at the ball of the foot. In AT you are always walking backwards and pivoting on the balls of your feet anyway, and the heels are basically there to give you a rest, so the job they're designed to do is a bit different from a street shoe or a shoe for most other dances.

The ones I can dance in for longest without the balls of my feet getting tired are my Taras (http://www.22tangoshoes.com/), which have a 1cm thick cork sole. It gives me at least an extra hour. Some people don't like the platform - I love it.

Lou
9th-June-2008, 10:20 PM
The ones I can dance in for longest without the balls of my feet getting tired are my Taras (http://www.22tangoshoes.com/), which have a 1cm thick cork sole. It gives me at least an extra hour. Some people don't like the platform - I love it.
Ooooh! :D

Can you buy them anywhere in the UK?

MartinHarper
10th-June-2008, 09:59 AM
I do think it's worth breaking in new dance shoes gently. For me, three hours in the first outing would be too much, regardless of heels.

Donna
10th-June-2008, 12:36 PM
So You think people are mad today???

Take a look at this Gasha girl's feet! :really::sick:

uh... eeeewww?! :what: (tries to swallow last bit of sandwich.. guuulp!:sick:)

That is awful.

Hey the last pic of those shoes lory posted.. I seen those on This Morning. They brought a model out on set... I'm surprised she made it on set! How the hell she could walk in those, I don't know! They had no heels! I was in hysterics thinking... imagine if you fell backwards! You'd have no heel to stop you you'd just topple straight back! :tears::rofl:

mshedgehog
11th-June-2008, 12:20 AM
Ooooh! :D

Can you buy them anywhere in the UK?

Not that I know of, I bought mine from Diva Boutique (http://www.diva-boutique.com) after a series of emails about sizing. They ask you to try them on on carpet and you can send them back if they don't fit.

MartinHarper
11th-June-2008, 10:20 AM
Imagine if you fell backwards!

Take a step back?

Brighton Belle
11th-June-2008, 12:51 PM
I think also everyone has a 'natural' heel height where they feel most comfortable. I did a fashion course a few years ago which included lectures on shoes and they said that if you cross one leg over the other and let you bare foot rest lightly on the floor, the distance between your heel and the floor will be your natural heel height. If you look at most men's feet when they have their legs crossed, their foot will usually be at right angles to their legs, indicating a very low heel whereas most women's feet will fall at an angle of about 45 degrees.

Having said that though, as Ms Hedgehog indicated, I think getting shoes designed for purpose is the most important aspect. If they are well designed and well made and have the proper support, they'll be comfortable for hours. It's really worth shelling out for good shoes if you're going to be on your feet for hours on end!

BTW Don't want to be pedantic :nice: but I think the oriental lady with the deformed feet is Chinese not Geisha (Japanese). This practice of foot binding was outlawed in China I think in about the 1930's but it prevailed in many areas much later. In the autobiography Wild Swans, author Jung Chang gives very graphic (and horrifying!) descriptions of her grandmother's bound feet. And we think our feet are painful! :sick:

Chicklet
11th-June-2008, 01:08 PM

I have two pairs from this company, purchased in San Francisco, I have them purely to look at these days but I do remember that the ankle straps are very short. I'm no whippet but I honestly do not have bouncy castle turrets for ankles and I had to put an extra hole right at the end of the strap - an INCH from the original last hole.

So, suggest checking er, the length of the holes, or something similar if you have an proper ankle rather than a pepperami at the end of your leg
C

Donna
12th-June-2008, 03:30 PM
Take a step back?

Which foot? Left or right? :grin: Sorry! :rofl: