PDA

View Full Version : To the Immortal Memory...

Heather
25th-January-2006, 01:49 PM
Of Robert Burns, born this day 25th January 1759 in Alloway, Ayrshire. Scotland's National Poet, long may your memory live.
Happy Birthday, Rabbie,
:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Heather
xx

Lynn
25th-January-2006, 02:02 PM
Some friends always organise a lovely Burns Night meal, with the poems, piper and haggis. But I'm going to miss it this year as its on Fri night and I have my Tango class. :tears: :grin:

(That was a neat and not intentional TTD, but it still counts!)

Stuart M
25th-January-2006, 02:11 PM
Aye - I'll drink one to him while I'm in the best whisky pub in the world (http://www.thepotstill.co.uk/) at some point tonight.

Mmm...Isle of Arran would be the geographically closest malt...

azande
25th-January-2006, 05:54 PM
Aye! :yeah:

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
25th-January-2006, 07:31 PM
Oooh I didn't know that it was his birthday today. I wonder if there will be any theme nights going on in the town, fun.

TheTramp
25th-January-2006, 07:36 PM
Oooh I didn't know that it was his birthday today.
You are Scottish, right??

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
25th-January-2006, 08:03 PM
You are Scottish, right??

Whit? Aye... well a ken am mostly Irish, bit a hiv lived here aw ma life, so aye a am Scottish, whits it to you anyway no one asked you! Sake man :whistle:

Dance Demon
25th-January-2006, 08:55 PM
Then let us pray, that come it may
As come it will for a' that
That sense and worth, o'er a' the Earth
May bear the gree and a' that
For a' that and a' that
It's comin' yet for a' that
That man to man, the world o'er
Shall brothers be, for a' that.

If only...............

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
25th-January-2006, 10:07 PM
I just remembered something. I auditioned to recite the sare finger (?) for a burns thing we had in Primary 7 so :na:

DavidB
26th-January-2006, 01:28 AM
Why are you talking about Scotland on the Ceroc London Forum? :devil:

Heather
26th-January-2006, 08:39 AM
Why are you talking about Scotland on the Ceroc London Forum? :devil:

:rofl: :rofl: :wink:

Often feels like it doesn't it ? :sick:

:hug:
Heather
xx

Allez-Cat
26th-January-2006, 10:44 AM
So, this should be in the 'Jokes' thread, but it's more apposite here. With greetings from a sassenach.....

The Story of Scotland.

In the beginning when God was creating the world, he was sitting on a cloud, telling Archangel Gabriel what he planned for Scotland.

"Gabby" says He "I'm going to give this place high majestic mountains, purple glens, soaring eagles, streams laden with salmon, golden fields of barley from which a whisky coloured nectar can be made, green, lush, spectacular golf courses, coal in the ground, oil under the sea, gas...........".

"Hold up! Hold up!" Interjected the bold Gabriel "Are you not being too generous to these Scots ?"

Back came the Almighty's reply "Not really, wait until you see the neighbours I'm giving them".

ShinyWeeStar
26th-January-2006, 04:36 PM
I just remembered something. I auditioned to recite the sare finger (?) for a burns thing we had in Primary 7 so :na:
Our Primary 6's are learning "The Sair Finger" just now. It isn't actually written by Burns, but by someone called Walter Wingate.

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
26th-January-2006, 04:43 PM
Our Primary 6's are learning "The Sair Finger" just now. It isn't actually written by Burns, but by someone called Walter Wingate.
Why was I learning it for Burns day then? :confused: I didn't get to say it anyway :sad: not nice

ShinyWeeStar
26th-January-2006, 04:52 PM
Why was I learning it for Burns day then? :confused: I didn't get to say it anyway :sad: not nice
For the same reason our kids are I suppose - it's a popular Scots poem that's similar to Burns' poetry and is fairly easy to understand. Shame you didn't get to perform it. :hug:

elle
26th-January-2006, 04:58 PM
So, this should be in the 'Jokes' thread, but it's more apposite here. With greetings from a sassenach.....

The Story of Scotland.

In the beginning when God was creating the world, he was sitting on a cloud, telling Archangel Gabriel what he planned for Scotland.

"Gabby" says He "I'm going to give this place high majestic mountains, purple glens, soaring eagles, streams laden with salmon, golden fields of barley from which a whisky coloured nectar can be made, green, lush, spectacular golf courses, coal in the ground, oil under the sea, gas...........".

"Hold up! Hold up!" Interjected the bold Gabriel "Are you not being too generous to these Scots ?"

Back came the Almighty's reply "Not really, wait until you see the neighbours I'm giving them".

:rofl: That's so bad!

Heather
26th-January-2006, 07:03 PM
it's a popular Scots poem that's similar to Burns' poetry

WASH YOUR MOUTH OUT!!!!

The only thing similar is that they are both examples of Scottish poetry.

The Sair Finger is an amusing poem written in Scots vernacular, for young children, whereas Burns poetry is most definitely written for adults.
The reason the Sair Finger is learned in schools is so that children can take part in the annual Burns Federation Poetry Competition. This also serves the purpose of keeping some of our rich Scottish literary heritage alive.
Primary 1-4 children are permitted to learn a poem written in the Scots vernacular such as the above, or any of JK Annands poems written for children, as Burns poetry is considered too difficult for that age group.
Primary 5-7 children are expected to learn a poem from the works of the Bard himself.
:hug:

Heather,
xx

Dreadful Scathe
26th-January-2006, 07:13 PM
I still remember the first twa verses o "to a mouse" :)

Happy Birthday Rabbie :)

Fair for yer honest sonsie face....

Allez-Cat
26th-January-2006, 07:27 PM
Just in case you're all at sea on this one:

The Sair Finger
by Walter Wingate

You've hurt your finger? Puir wee man!
Your pinkie? Deary me!
Noo, juist you haud it that wey till
I get my specs and see!

My, so it is - and there's the skelf!
Noo, dinna greet nae mair.
See there - my needle's gotten't out!
I'm sure that wasna sair?

And noo, to make it hale the morn,
Put on a wee bit saw,
And tie a Bonnie hankie roun't
Noo, there na - rin awa'!

Your finger sair ana'? Ye rogue,
You're only lettin' on.
Weel, weel, then - see noo, there ye are,
Row'd up the same as John!

Sure it’s not in the same league as “Unco Guid” or “Ca’ the Yowes”,
but it’s sweet!

ducasi
27th-January-2006, 12:14 AM
As one of the "honest men", I raised my glass to Burns last night. :cheers:

"Here's tae us, wha's like us?"

ShinyWeeStar
27th-January-2006, 12:29 AM
WASH YOUR MOUTH OUT!!!!

The only thing similar is that they are both examples of Scottish poetry.

My apologies - that is actually all that I meant. :blush:..... I am by no stretch of the imagination an expert on Burns and will gladly stand corrected. :worthy:

*runs off to find a bar of soap*