PDA

View Full Version : Would you trust this?

Paul F
24th-January-2006, 04:27 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6842532459&ssPageName=MERC_VI_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT

Its a link to ebay for dance shoes.
These dance shoes LOOK good and are direct from Thailand (where I am assuming they are made).
The seller has a good ebay rating and all-in-all, with postage, you could get a pair of shoes for a maximum of £27 in leather.

Has anyone ever bought shoes from an overseas manufacturer on ebay before? If true then its a great way to increase my shoe collection. I dont particularly want that size but its the prospect of getting them direct which appeals to me. Just a bit wary of going for it.

TheTramp
24th-January-2006, 04:28 PM
Go for it I say. And let us (especially the girls) know the results.... :D

senorita
24th-January-2006, 04:31 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6842532459&ssPageName=MERC_VI_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT

These dance shoes LOOK good and are direct from Thailand (where I am assuming they are made).
The seller has a good ebay rating and all-in-all, with postage, you could get a pair of shoes for a maximum of £27 in leather.

Has anyone ever bought shoes from an overseas manufacturer on ebay before? If true then its a great way to increase my shoe collection. I dont particularly want that size but its the prospect of getting them direct which appeals to me. Just a bit wary of going for it.

My friend brought some and she is over the moon about them. And they are more stunning then my heavenly dance shoes!! :nice:

Paul F
24th-January-2006, 04:31 PM
My friend brought some and she is over the moon about them. And they are more stunning then my heavenly dance shoes!! :nice:

Did she buy them from an overseas seller?

under par
24th-January-2006, 04:32 PM

Paul you buy a pair as a public service to all forumites and if its rubbish I'll pay half the price with you. If its great we all benefit from a cheap source of shoes.
Another great public service By Forum PAULS eh!

Seriously if you want to have a go I'll go halves if they are cr@p.:cheers:

Paul F
24th-January-2006, 04:35 PM
Paul you buy a pair as a public service to all forumites and if its rubbish I'll pay half the price with you. If its great we all benefit from a cheap source of shoes.
Another great public service By Forum PAULS eh!

Im going to take you up on that very generous offer :cheers:

I will order them next week as I get paid then :clap: (or more precisely i need time to think about it :sick: )
Need to measure my current shoes as per their diagram and then, what the hell, I will order some.
Ok, im scared now.

TheTramp
24th-January-2006, 04:36 PM

:yeah:
There you go. Money where the mouth is. Make it 1/3rds, and I'll join in! £9 each....

Stuart M
24th-January-2006, 04:36 PM
If it's the overseas aspect that concerns you, well I've bought stuff from 3 continents via eBay and never had a problem. Having said that, it's been stuff like CDs, camera parts, antiques - clothes might be a different matter.

under par
24th-January-2006, 04:38 PM
Im going to take you up on that very generous offer :cheers:

I will order them next week as I get paid then :clap: (or more precisely i need time to think about it :sick: )
Need to measure my current shoes as per their diagram and then, what the hell, I will order some.
Ok, im scared now.

Great I'll look forwrd to the review and pay you at monday Lush if they stink.

Just a thought you wouldn't double cross me say they're crap and claim 50% when they are actually great.....paranoia or what!:blush:

senorita
Did she buy them from an overseas seller?

Yes.
I also know that she gets her dresses and ballgowns made to measure by a thai girl :nice:

Paul F
The actual pair I am looking at says it has 2 days left on them. Im pretty sure more would magically appear. If they do i will order them.

Tessalicious
And, just to support you in your venture, I might even force myself to buy a new dress and a couple of pairs of shoes, and maybe even some funky black trousers.

Isn't it kind of us to offer ourselves up as guinea pigs, all in the name of public service? :whistle:

under par
24th-January-2006, 04:39 PM
:yeah:
There you go. Money where the mouth is. Make it 1/3rds, and I'll join in! £9 each....

Good on you Steve:worthy:

Paul F
24th-January-2006, 04:39 PM
Great I'll look forwrd to the review and pay you at monday Lush if they stink.

Just a thought you wouldn't double cross me say they're crap and claim 50% when they are actually great.....paranoia or what!:blush:

Paul, I wouldnt take any money off you anyway (or you steve) but I appreciate the support. :cheers:

Paul F
24th-January-2006, 04:40 PM
And, just to support you in your venture, I might even force myself to buy a new dress and a couple of pairs of shoes, and maybe even some funky black trousers.

Isn't it kind of us to offer ourselves up as guinea pigs, all in the name of public service? :whistle:

Believe it or not I have just bid on a pair of Thai Fishermans Trousers

:rofl:

I have been told they are great for lounging in or dance practice.

David Franklin
24th-January-2006, 04:53 PM

The seller has a good ebay rating and all-in-all, with postage, you could get a pair of shoes for a maximum of £27 in leather.From what I've seen, 97.4% is actually quite a low feedback rating for such a large seller. Looking at the feedback pages, most people do seem to be happy, but it looks like when there is a problem, it doesn't get dealt with well. If it helps, I also recognized one of the feedback names (bendymixer) as someone from the DigitalSpy SCD forum: his family teach ballroom and he seemed very happy with his purchase, so that's got to be a good sign.

The only thing is, £27 doesn't seem a huge saving compared with buying from, say, Freed - though I've been a Bloch convert for the last few years so I might be misremembering the cost of dance shoes.

Has anyone ever bought shoes from an overseas manufacturer on ebay before? If true then its a great way to increase my shoe collection. I dont particularly want that size but its the prospect of getting them direct which appeals to me. Just a bit wary of going for it.Not shoes, but I've bought performance dresses for Bryony a couple of times, and been very impressed.

Bex
24th-January-2006, 04:57 PM
I've bought brand new dance shoes off ebay from a seller called 'E'lena dance shoes' and they are great, perfect fit and arrived in a couple of days. Dance shoes for under £25, can't go wrong really!! :clap:

The only shoe place I wouldn't recommend is www.danceshoesonline.com, who I used a couple of years ago. Took ages to arrive and when they finally did, were completely the wrong size - I finally got some of my money back but the seller decided it wasn't worth his while getting me to return them (postage fee wise), so I ended up selling them on ebay for a fiver!

Paul F
24th-January-2006, 04:59 PM
The only thing is, £27 doesn't seem a huge saving compared with buying from, say, Freed - though I've been a Bloch convert for the last few years so I might be misremembering the cost of dance shoes.

Not shoes, but I've bought performance dresses for Bryony a couple of times, and been very impressed.

How much are shoes direct from Freed et al. ?

I have never bought direct. I have only ever gone through one of the web/high street retailers who are charging 45/50+ pounds.
I say £27 but that is the top price if I were to "Buy Now" and not enter into bidding.

TheTramp
24th-January-2006, 05:03 PM
Took ages to arrive and when they finally did ~ the wrong size

I just bought a pair of jeans from the States on Ebay. When they arrived, they were the wrong size. So I emailed the guy, pointing this out. He was very apologetic, and sent another pair. Which were closer. But still the wrong size.

Have decided to keep them now (can't be bothered emailing again), and sell them on to try to get back the money I spent.

So, if anyone wants a pair of 32"waist, 30"leg or 34"waist, 30"leg Abercrombie and Fitch blue jeans, make me an offer! :rolleyes:

under par
24th-January-2006, 05:05 PM
I just bought a pair of jeans from the States on Ebay. When they arrived, they were the wrong size. So I emailed the guy, pointing this out. He was very apologetic, and sent another pair. Which were closer. But still the wrong size.

Have decided to keep them now (can't be bothered emailing again), and sell them on to try to get back the money I spent.

So, if anyone wants a pair of 32"waist, 30"leg or 34"waist, 30"leg Abercrombie and Fitch blue jeans, make me an offer! :rolleyes:

I see the problem there Steve , 32 " and 34 " waist :rofl: what was he thinking?

Chef
24th-January-2006, 05:05 PM
Dawn has bought two pairs of shoes from this seller. They did take a while (4 weeks) to arrive but she says they are the most comfortable shoes that she has. She is very happy with the whole deal.

Cruella
24th-January-2006, 05:07 PM

:eek: Does that mean you're going to stink of fish at the next monkey Lush.:rolleyes:

Paul F
24th-January-2006, 05:11 PM
Dawn has bought two pairs of shoes from this seller. They did take a while (4 weeks) to arrive but she says they are the most comfortable shoes that she has. She is very happy with the whole deal.

Ah! direct proof! Thats excellent to hear :cheers:
I will order some at the weekend.

Paul F
24th-January-2006, 05:12 PM
:eek: Does that mean you're going to stink of fish at the next monkey Lush.:rolleyes:

I think you have to pay more for the authentic fishy smell :D

David Franklin
24th-January-2006, 05:17 PM
I have never bought direct. I have only ever gone through one of the web/high street retailers who are charging 45/50+ pounds.
I say £27 but that is the top price if I were to "Buy Now" and not enter into bidding.My gut feeling is I paid just under 35 pounds for the last pair I bought from Freed. But that was 3 years ago, so my memory may be wrong and the price may have changed. And I don't have particularly expensive taste in shoes!

Donna
24th-January-2006, 07:41 PM
I've been told never to trust buying ANYTHING from overseas on e-bay. I was very tempted at one point but after all the things I've heard about e-bay and what goes on in your own country even...well, huh huh, I'm certainly not going to trust anybody when buying them from overseas.

Rentaghost
24th-January-2006, 09:02 PM

That's where my sparkly dance shoes came from! The service was a little slow because they had to be made specially, but they did arrive in time for Christmas. They are extremely comfortably and well made.:flower:

My boyfriend bought that exact pair recently as well. He had brilliant service and the shoes arrived in less than a week. He is really happy with them- well they do make him a little bit taller.....:rofl:

TheTramp
25th-January-2006, 01:32 AM
I've been told never to trust buying ANYTHING from overseas on e-bay. I was very tempted at one point but after all the things I've heard about e-bay and what goes on in your own country even...well, huh huh, I'm certainly not going to trust anybody when buying them from overseas.

I've bought several things from overseas on ebay, and never had a problem at all.

If you allow for the fact that most come from overseas, then the delivery times are usually pretty good too (ie. don't expect them to arrive the next day).

LMC
25th-January-2006, 08:28 AM
When people have problems, it's usually because they've tried to bypass the Paypal system (which is as secure as any online bank AND insures you for up to £500 in case the seller doesn't "deliver at no extra charge). I think *every* e-bay fraud I've ever heard of is where too-trusting naive people have sent cheques or a cash transfer instead of using the system provided for *their* safety.

Paul F
25th-January-2006, 02:25 PM

Well, I won the fishermans trousers. :clap:
They do look good. Honest. :nice:

drathzel
25th-January-2006, 02:37 PM
I've bought brand new dance shoes off ebay from a seller called 'E'lena dance shoes' and they are great, perfect fit and arrived in a couple of days. Dance shoes for under £25, can't go wrong really!! :clap:

i got my christmas pressy from them from my sister, they are fab. but as i have a dodgy ankle at the moment i cant wear them:tears:

tsh
25th-January-2006, 02:59 PM
When people have problems, it's usually because they've tried to bypass the Paypal system (which is as secure as any online bank AND insures you for up to £500 in case the seller doesn't "deliver at no extra charge). I think *every* e-bay fraud I've ever heard of is where too-trusting naive people have sent cheques or a cash transfer instead of using the system provided for *their* safety.

Sorry, but there are plenty of horror stories about problems with paypal as well - both for buyers and sellers.

All it takes is a call to paypal to say that the goods never turned up, and for most cases they will take the money back from the seller.

If the seller doesn't come up with the goods, and manages to stall you for a while, he can easily have withdrawn the funds from paypal and disapeared.

Ebay obviously want you to pay via paypal, cause they make another few % comission, and it is obviously slightly more secure than western union - but they're not really interested in disputes. Check the small print of their insurance - or google for it!

Feedback counts for nothing either - it's trivial to build up a good reputation and then sting several people in quick succession.

Sean

frodo
25th-January-2006, 09:45 PM
Feedback counts for nothing either - it's trivial to build up a good reputation and then sting several people in quick succession.In my view feedback is absolutely critical, and the whole basis of eBay - the ability to trust strangers.

Generally if you're going to sting people you build up a good reputation with small things and then sting people for big things. An examination of the past transactions should show whether the reputation was built up selling items of comparable value.

Unfortunately it appears the people at Ebay at some point took leave of their senses, as you cannot examine details of past transactions more than a few months old - this means it is difficult to trust someone who trades infrequently as you cannot tell how their reputation was obtained.

Even someone with a great reputation I some caution is advised, because the sellers account credentials can be compromised ( for example via a fishing email ).

Tessalicious
26th-January-2006, 05:26 PM
Well, I had a look through the shop Paul drew our attention to, and I liked everything, so I bought...

these (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BNWT-Sexy-Latin-Ballroom-Black-Dance-Pants-Trouser-4_W0QQitemZ5464580339QQcategoryZ108902QQtcZphotoQQ cmdZViewItem)
and
these (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brown-Ballroom-Latin-Salsa-Dance-Dancing-3-Shoes-3B1_W0QQitemZ7739837682QQcategoryZ53552QQtcZphotoQ QcmdZViewItem)

for a total, including shipping, of £36. Bargainous! :clap: I'll report back on receipt about all the good and bad things.

Unfortunately, or possibly fortunately for my bank balance, these are about the only shoes on there with a 3" heel, and since I much prefer these to a 2.5" I'll just be sticking with the one pair for now. Still, it staves off that ever-so-expensive-looking trip to Heavenly for another couple of months.

Icey
27th-January-2006, 05:04 PM
Well, I had a look through the shop Paul drew our attention to, and I liked everything, so I bought...

:really: Tessa, you are a bad, bad influence on me. I went to have a look and ten minutes later had one of these (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Sexy-Latin-Dance-Evening-Black-Ballroom-Dress-G1_W0QQitemZ5464732209QQcategoryZ58444QQtcZphotoQQ cmdZViewItem)

Tessalicious
27th-January-2006, 05:07 PM
:really: Tessa, you are a bad, bad influence on me. Who, me? Never :innocent:

I went to have a look and ten minutes later had one of these.Good girl - in fact, I thought about that one too, but I have enough black dresses... for now :devil:

LMC
27th-January-2006, 05:26 PM
*@#!-& :mad: :mad: :mad:

I want my new credit card to b****y turn up :mad:

I NEED it.

Icey
2nd-February-2006, 03:11 PM
Anyones stuff arrive yet?

drathzel
2nd-February-2006, 03:12 PM
*@#!-& :mad: :mad: :mad:

I want my new credit card to b****y turn up :mad:

I NEED it.

oh i remember being in that situation two years ago, only problem being, i am still paying it off:tears:

Donna
2nd-February-2006, 03:19 PM
oh i remember being in that situation two years ago, only problem being, i am still paying it off:tears:

That's why I never use mine. It's there just in case, but I've succeeded so far in trying not to use it.

drathzel
2nd-February-2006, 03:22 PM
That's why I never use mine. It's there just in case, but I've succeeded so far in trying not to use it.
mine is now, i am paying it off and not using it, i am being good!:clap:

Tessalicious
8th-February-2006, 03:00 PM
My new trousers and shoes (see above) arrived yesterday! :clap:

but...

just like LM's, the shoes are the wrong size! :tears: (but they fit my flatmate perfectly :rolleyes: )

I've emailed the shop owner, and he has been reasonably helpful and, I think, is going to set up an order for a smaller pair (according to him, size 4, the ones I ordered before said size 6).

The trousers are also more like a large-ish size 12 than a size 10, but that's ok, because they still fit, and are more comfortable than they would be if they were tighter.

So, a word of warning to anyone who buys from these guys, or any other sellers in that part of the world - their idea of a UK size is actually (apparently) a Hong Kong size, which is slightly different. Check the measurements they give rather than believing their sizing. On the other hand, the stuff is really cheap, even with postage taken into account, and better quality than you might expect for the price.

Icey
10th-February-2006, 10:50 AM
My new dress arrived yesterday :) Very pleased with it except on the spin test it flys very high :blush:

Lynn
10th-February-2006, 09:13 PM
...the shoes are the wrong size! :tears: (but they fit my flatmate perfectly :rolleyes: )

I've emailed the shop owner, and he has been reasonably helpful and, I think, is going to set up an order for a smaller pair (according to him, size 4, the ones I ordered before said size 6).

So, a word of warning to anyone who buys from these guys, or any other sellers in that part of the world - their idea of a UK size is actually (apparently) a Hong Kong size, which is slightly different. Check the measurements they give rather than believing their sizing. On the other hand, the stuff is really cheap, even with postage taken into account, and better quality than you might expect for the price.I have looked at this site and wasn't able to see shoes in size 4 (no I'm not going to buy any more shoes, I'm just looking!). And I found that on some pages their size 4 and size 5 measurements seemed the same...so I was a little confused and that would put me off ordering. (No, I'm really not going to buy any more shoes this year. Well, I won't rule out later this year, if I find another better paid job in the meantime...)

under par
11th-February-2006, 12:51 PM
Mrs Par gets quite a few (well actually more than a few!) dresses from http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Enchanted-Boutique No more than 7 working days for delivery after payment, from the States, often quicker.

Very reasonable prices, lots of sizes and we have found that the they give many various body measurements for the dresses in their descriptions rather than "Size 10" so hopefully you can pick the right dress for you.

PS PAUL F have your shoes arrived yet???

Diz
11th-February-2006, 03:04 PM
Bought some shoes direct from Freed in December. Cost £52 rather than £58 in the shops. They arrived in 2 days, and the sales assisstant was very helpful in measuring the size to ensure they were the correct fit.

Divissima
11th-February-2006, 03:41 PM
Mrs Par gets quite a few (well actually more than a few!) dresses from http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Enchanted-Boutique No more than 7 working days for delivery after payment, from the States, often quicker.And on Mrs Par's recommendation, I have bought a few (also now more than a few!) dresses from the same seller. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Very reasonable prices, lots of sizes and we have found that the they give many various body measurements for the dresses in their descriptions rather than "Size 10" so hopefully you can pick the right dress for you.The dresses are fantastic value and the seller is extremely helpful - sizing is described well so you get the right size. Any London ladies thinking about buying but not sure of sizing, you are welcome to try one of mine for size (I take the medium).

Of course, the problem is we will all be bidding against one another :rolleyes: