PDA

View Full Version : Rockbottoms Isle if Wight 31st march 2006

under par
24th-January-2006, 03:35 PM
Mrs Par and I will be going to The Isle of Wight for our 1st Rockbottoms event.:cheers: :yeah:

1. Who else is going?

2. Anybody experienced this event before got any info tips ?

3. Anyone else want to sell Mrs Par a raffle ticket because we have a weekend free in July when we could do with a dance holiday.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Northants Girly
24th-January-2006, 04:28 PM
Me n Matt are coming - will be a Rock Bottoms 1st for both of us :clap:

jacksondonut
24th-January-2006, 04:55 PM
You will have a fab time... look at the Rockbottoms january/june thread. there is tons of information about the venue etc., :flower:

Know its brilliant.. last year did the beach boogie event, (lindy one) in September and had the best time. :clap: :clap:

If it is the same venue, the accomodation is a bit on the dodgy side, but I think that its nothing to do with your enjoyment of the weekend. The isle of wight itself is beautiful and i wouldnt hesitate to go there again.. met some fab people too. Lucky enough to have lovely weather too.

Have a wonderful time and i wish i was coming, but Im doing Torquay again in June.. :sad: wish I could do them all.

Rockbottoms people are the friendliest bunch Ive ever met. :yeah:

Enjoy!!
:cheers:

Rhythm King
24th-January-2006, 05:19 PM
I have been to most of the IoW Rock Bottoms weekends and it is only my change in post at work that has prevented me booking on this one. Oh and my impending knee op :sad: .

The hotel is architecturally interesting, but not fantastic (don't miss the roof garden :wink: ). The staff are enthusiastic and friendly, but not first class, but it doesn't matter. The whole weekend is great fun and very friendly and you can dance til the last couple drops :clap:

There are usually excellent teachers, with a variety of backgrounds, so the classes are worth doing. The Sunday morning pyjama class is a must :rofl: (Esp for you, UP)

There is only one room for teaching, and this is next to the lounge/chill out area, so you don't actually miss anything. The RB crew work their socks off, to make sure everyone is having a good time and hand out fresh fruit and sweeties during the day, and tea and cakes at night. There is usually a masseur on hand too - book early or the places will go.

What I like best is the intimate, chilled atmosphere. Because it's so much smaller than Camber/Bognor and there is one big sitting for meals, you actually get to meet everyone and dance lots (and misbehave!).

I hope you have a good time, I only wish I was going :tears:

R-K

Northants Girly
24th-January-2006, 05:24 PM
. . and misbehave!:clap: :clap:

:devil:

Sheppy
27th-January-2006, 06:20 PM
I've booked onto this one after getting back from the January one in Torquay.
Shortly before the event they will send you some details, pay attention to this as its packed with good advice. In particular at Torquay everyone dressed up for the fancy dress.

Lynn
29th-January-2006, 06:22 PM
In particular at Torquay everyone dressed up for the fancy dress.Fancy dress....? UP...? Naw, can't imagine he'd be into that! :whistle: :rofl:

fletch
30th-January-2006, 09:24 AM
Hi guy's can anyone help

I am going to the Beach Boogie in July, and not sure how to go about booking the ferry?:confused:
Is there a cheep way or is it the same for all?:what:

Andy McGregor
30th-January-2006, 09:39 AM
Is there a cheap way or is it the same for all?:what:

:cheers:You could always swim :innocent:

We go the IOW regularly for day trips and yacht racing. The ferry service is brilliant and runs day and night.

There are a few different ferries going to either Yarmouth, Fishbourne or Cowes - the operators are Wightlink and Red Funnel. The IOW itself is so small it really doesn't matter which port you land at as you'll have to drive a few miles from each one to get to Beach Boogie.

It's worth keeping your eyes open for offers on each of the routes and it's often cheaper to travel late at night rather than peak time as islanders who work on the mainland use the daytime ferries and this drives the price up (I guess).

fletch
30th-January-2006, 10:01 AM
You could always swim :innocent:

it's often cheaper to travel late at night rather than peak time (I guess).

Defiantly not swimming, it would play havoc with my hair.:eek:

Good idea, but not with a 8 & 12 year old the 5 hour drive will be dad enough (are we nearly there yet):sick:

Thanks

dee
30th-January-2006, 10:06 AM
Hi guy's can anyone help

I am going to the Beach Boogie in July, and not sure how to go about booking the ferry?:confused:

It's cheaper if you book on-line through Red funnel, i went a few years ago and booked it that way. Was more of a nightmare trying to find the place once we were on the Wight as its all country lanes :sick:

fletch
30th-January-2006, 10:14 AM
Was more of a nightmare trying to find the place once we were on the Wight as its all country lanes :sick:

I'm hopless:blush: but I will be following a freind with a car full of kids, so i'll leave the navigating to her:clap:

One good thing they have extended it so the children can go all week :clap: when I booked they were only going for the first 4 days with 3 day adults only, its a long way with 2 children for 4 days :clap:

thanks

:flower:

Chef
30th-January-2006, 10:49 AM
The organisers of Beach boogie get a deal sorted out with the ferry company so that you can get discounted tickets. Closer to the event they will send you an email to tell all the attendees what they have managed to sort out and how to book with the discount.

It will be fab (again).

Northants Girly
19th-March-2006, 11:23 PM
Mrs Par and I will be going to The Isle of Wight for our 1st Rockbottoms event.:cheers: :yeah:
. . . .:clap: I'm getting quite exited about this now as we've just been sorting out our fancy dress costumes :clap:

TiggsTours
20th-March-2006, 11:06 AM
Rock Bottoms weekenders are fab, and the IOW ones are the best!

Tips I'd say are, book massages early, they sell out fast.

Get the hovver, not the ferry, that's what they suggest on the website, and for good reason, its a 5 min walk to the hotel, JB collects your luggage to carry it up the hill, its the cheapest, and quickest route, and no worries over where to park your car.

Everybody does the fancy dress, and are all dressed for dinner, so don't think you'll be in the minority if you do, it'll be the other way round.

Most people do the PJ class, in PJs, and everybody has breakfast Sunday morning in PJs, so again, don't think you'll be in the minority. Also, bring slippers, the staff won't allow you into the hall in bare feet due to Health & Safety regulations.

Cakes in the wee small hours are fab!

Fruit handed out during classes, top idea!

If you can bring an easily identifyable bottle for the ample free water, then do, its not unusual for cups to run low.

The heating in the hotel is a bit antiquated, either all on, or all off. Nobody wants a hot danceroom, so the bedrooms can get cold, although to be honest, it wasn't an issue in October, so maybe they fixed that problem!

Hi guy's can anyone help

Nearer the time, they give out details of how to get a discount on travel. We always take the car ferry into Ryde, that's what most people do, then its a quite straight forward drive. Book early though (as soon as details are announced), previous year's it seems to have clashed with Cowes week, so it can be difficult to get a last minute crossing. Having said that, once again, they seem to have fixed that issue last year, I think the week was slightly different.

Asif
20th-March-2006, 12:57 PM
I'm going (but then again, i always do).

Best tips are:-

1) If you don't need your car, leave your car parked in Portsmouth and take the hover to Ryde. Discounted Hover tickets can be purchased, courtesy of Rock Bottoms (http://www.jivelive.com/rockbottoms/iow_april/index.htm) (look under the "Getting There" section).

2) Bring your fancy dress outfits - you will look out of place if you don't.

3) Bring some PJs that CAN be worn in public - for Sunday breakfast and the Sunday PJ class (always great fun).

4) Get plenty of sleep/rest BEFORE you go to RB.

See you there ....... Must go now and get something beginning with "B" for the fancy dress!!