PDA

View Full Version : What should be taught in Beginners classes

cerocmetro
24th-January-2006, 03:23 PM
Ceroc Uk have 22 beginners moves. Are they the right moves, should there be more/less.

what else should be taught or is there too much already?

Remember your first time or first few weeks. Was it too complicated or too easy, what do you wish you had be taught that you weren't?

Adam

TheTramp
24th-January-2006, 03:41 PM
At the time, I'd say it was rather difficult - being different to anything I'd done before (though, I did have some rather excellent personal help from a lovely taxi-dancer).

These days, I rather wish that there was more technique and floorcraft taught. However, back when I started, I think I was happy with what I was being taught. It's a question of perception.

Personally, I think I'd like to see a 3 level teaching structure - with the beginners as they currently are, a middle class, which concentrated on introducing better technique, floorcraft etc., and then the intermediate class. And while the taxi-dancers do a great job with the beginners, I'd prefer to see an actual teacher taking the middle class...

However, how that would work under the current structure, I'm not sure. Maybe the smaller middle class being run in a separate area as a small group, while the beginner class was running, and only available to the people at that level. But that would require a separate room (or area big enough), plus extra teachers to teach it. Which might make it not feasible at many venues...

LMC
24th-January-2006, 04:39 PM
I think Trampy's idea is a good one. IMO, that middle class should include (not necessarily the technical terms, but the principles):

1) Frame/tension - too many beginner women have spaghetti arms (I was one of those :blush: ) - or are so stiff that if I'm leading, I'm terrified of damaging them when I'm trying to turn them.

2) Lead and follow - just walking backwards and forwards, taking it in turns with eyes closed is an easy exercise that Pat (Stevenage venue mgr) uses in review classes. More emphasis on guys telling women to let them lead!

3) More emphasis on the handhold - some beginner guys use thumbs because they can't get a connection - I can be patient with beginners, but by the time they've been in intermediate for 4-6 weeks and fallen in love with pretzels, this habit is so ingrained that I don't want to dance with them any more.

4) Counting without hand bouncing.

I reckon it would only take 10 -15 minutes max to cover the principles of all of these and encouragement to practise with the taxi dancers or other willing experienced dancers at the side of the floor or somewhere where you can still hear the music but are not in the way.

Finally, please can we get rid of the "6 weeks to intermediate". Confidence leading and following all the beginners moves on time would be a better measure - however long that takes.

TheTramp
24th-January-2006, 04:47 PM
Finally, please can we get rid of the "6 weeks to intermediate". Confidence leading and following all the beginners moves on time would be a better measure - however long that takes.

In Scotland, the usual thing now is 10-12 weeks (depending on which teacher is saying it).

When I teach, I usually say that the criteria is feeling comfortable with leading (or following) all the beginner moves, and actually doing some dancing in freestyle....

tsh
24th-January-2006, 07:12 PM
The selection of moves is probably not important. These should be a place holder for what is actually being taught. Anything, so long as it is common should work.

It's quite difficult to think what should be covered at 'beginner' and what should be covered at 'improver' though. I am finding that I have to ask one beginner to not think about the moves pretty much every class though (i.e. just follow the lead - if you have one, and the move will work).

Given the current Ceroc format, where there are only 2 levels of class, I would suggest that in addition to the set of beginner moves, a set of style fundamentals could be drawn up as well, to be rotated alongside the moves - maybe just one per class. Emphasise that this is for the benefit of those who have already done 2/3 classes, keep it fairly simple, and use it to keep the patter more interesting.
I know that I find it difficult to pay any attention to a teacher who is repeating something I have heard repeated verbatim hundreds of times, so a bit of variation, and more interactive exersises (not just moves) might make it easier to get people to listen...

Sean

Seahorse
24th-January-2006, 07:22 PM
Something related to footwork (as you'd do in a salsa class - that's why they call it 'basic') and learning to listen to the music (keeping time).

Donna
24th-January-2006, 07:27 PM
[QUOTE=cerocmetro]Ceroc Uk have 22 beginners moves. Are they the right moves, should there be more/less.

Depends on the individual. The majority of people who might not have danced before and pick things up quickly, (like myself :) ) might find it gets a little boring having just 22 moves and then having to go over them again a few weeks down the line.

I think those that find it hard to pick moves up would prefer there were less beginner moves. Anyway, I don't think a beginner is expected to know all 22. It's a case of ' if you feel confident enough doing them and fancy doing something a bit more challenging then try intermediate. That's what I did.

janey
24th-January-2006, 11:13 PM
When you first start as a beginner its great just to get a few moves under your belt and feel that you are making some progress. This also lets you have a go at a bit of freestyle straight away.

I do agree with Trampy however & would like to learn some more technique & style in the beginners class. This might be because I'm quite tall & I'm always worrying about what to do with my spare arm & how not to wipe other dancers off the floor by flailing around too much!!

Whitebeard
24th-January-2006, 11:51 PM
Ceroc Uk have 22 beginners moves.

It might help if we knew what those were, or, indeed, are.

As a raw beginner I would have much appreciated having access to a listing of the official beginner moves with brief instructions. Something like that seen at:

http://www.cerockidderminster.co.uk/ceroc_beginners_moves.tpl

Although that is probably now out of date.

(I much regret that collective nouns now seem to be quite out of fashion and a concept beyond the comprehension of many in a younger demographic.)

robd
25th-January-2006, 02:24 PM
Slightly diverting the direction of this thread but still on topic.....

Do you feel that in a beginners class an experienced lead should

a - Lead the moves exactly as they are shown from the stage?
b - Lead the moves as they would lead them in freestyle?

To give a tangible example, during a first move I always put my right hand against the follower's left shoulder blade rather than to their hip which is how it tends to be taught in class.

Is it more useful to beginners to experience the move that they will be lead into in freestyle or is it the case that during a class they will have so much to concentrate on anyway that the lead should simply put into practice that which is being described from the stage?

Robert

Lee
25th-January-2006, 02:26 PM
What should be taught in Beginners classes?

It's not about the teaching nor the learning curve IMO, it's about making the lessons fun and not intimidating to the new people so they come back.

Lee

Gadget
25th-January-2006, 02:47 PM

I always lead the moves as demonstrated. :whistle::innocent: {<-lie; I always try to lead as the moves are called and as they were initially shown.}

A. (*)

Other dancers in the line may be looking at you rather than the stage because you're closer and they can't see the stage.

You are practicing how your partners would feel it in freestyle: if you are the only one doing that variation, then it's not how they would "normally" be led, is it?

There are a couple of minor modification I sometimes make, like leading the follower forward and moving myself to the side rather than "leading to the side" as is said from stage. But the only difference the follower should notice is a clearer lead from me.

(*Unless you know the dancer and they are experianced as well, but even then,...^)

ducasi
25th-January-2006, 03:39 PM
Do you feel that in a beginners class an experienced lead should ... lead the moves exactly as they are shown from the stage?

I always lead the moves as demonstrated.:yeah:

I agree for all the reasons Gadget gives, but like him, I'll occasionally spice it up a little with a dancer you know doesn't need to be shown the exact mechanics of a first move anymore...

ducasi
25th-January-2006, 03:46 PM
Does anyone think it would be a good idea to teach a simple lean or dip as a beginner's move?

As it currently stands beginner ladies are often going to get dipped or leaned well before they have a chance to learn good technique (such as not throwing themselves into them before they are led, and how to take their own weight.)

On the other side, some guys might have a go at them before they have been taught how to do them properly...

Maybe it'd be better if everyone got taught the correct behaviour from early on...

TheTramp
25th-January-2006, 03:55 PM
Does anyone think it would be a good idea to teach a simple lean or dip as a beginner's move?

As it currently stands beginner ladies are often going to get dipped or leaned well before they have a chance to learn good technique (such as not throwing themselves into them before they are led, and how to take their own weight.)

On the other side, some guys might have a go at them before they have been taught how to do them properly...

Maybe it'd be better if everyone got taught the correct behaviour from early on...
No. But I do think that correct technique should be taught from time to time in intermediate classes.

Where it should be reinforced that you don't perform dips (or aerials - thinking of one Glasgow male dancer in particular!!) on beginner ladies who don't know what they are doing! Or on anyone who you haven't specifically asked if they mind you putting them into dips....

Trousers
25th-January-2006, 04:10 PM
These days, I rather wish that there was more technique and floorcraft taught.

Scrub the technique we generally find our own but Floorcraft please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please
Teach Floorcraft.

I know we've done this to death but no-one listens. The only Ceroc teacher I ever heard mention Floorcraft was Steve Nash at Brockham - at the end of his set he said 'it's busy tonight so please dance carefully!' Not a lot but more than you normally get.

Rant Rant Rant

More Floorcraft Please - Health and Safety rules say we are all responsible for everyones safety how come Ceroc-Sorry it's not just Ceroc all MJ venues seem to miss this.

Sorry Metro you asked for it!
But I won't hold my breath. . . . . . .

robd
25th-January-2006, 05:01 PM
{Lots about floorcraft}

Agree but I often find it's not the beginners who cause me the most grief in relation to floorcraft.

At Nottingham recently there was one fella who was clearly an experienced and skilled dancer but who danced as though the floor was his and his alone. He wore a dodgy beret too but I'll not hold that against him.

Similar experience at Cambridge a few months back - a couple I didn't recognise sat out the beginners class and then hit the floor for the freestyle immediately afterwards doing lots of big moves, dips, drops, swingouts. Anyone who has danced at Cambridge knows the floorspace is cramped at the best of times but it's particularly difficult just after beginner's class and their dancing, though impressive as a spectacle just showed a complete disregard for other dancers.

Robert

TheTramp
25th-January-2006, 05:03 PM
Yeah. But if you teach them when they start. Hopefully when they're intermediates, they'll remember.

Though, it's probably too late for some people.... :devil:

Cruella
25th-January-2006, 07:03 PM
He wore a dodgy beret too but I'll not hold that against him.

That's completely given away his identity to us that are local.:whistle:

Gadget
26th-January-2006, 12:00 AM
please ^10 Teach Floorcraft.
How?

What I mean is; what could you say/demonstrate from the stage to convey "floorcraft"? I think that it can be done better in small groups (like revision classes where the taxis pass on information)

I'm with tramp: no. Although regular reminders in intermediate are a +

Two primary reasons - Firstly it would scare new folks. Secondly to do it right with complete beginners would take up the whole class' time slot and you would only have one move.

<hr>

I saw something on Tuesday in the beginners class that I think is excelent practice and am 310% behind: a move was taught with two variations.
It dosn't seem much, but it introduces the principles of flexability, addapting moves and a core of "no such thing as a 'wrong' move".

In this case it was simply stepping back with the right or left foot in a first move - but since it was taught from stage both ways, there can be less "no that's not how you do it..." criticism that I've seen beginners tell each other. It opens their minds to actually following rather than anticipating. (although the lead dosn't really change)

I think that the "in and out" should be reserved for a training excercise or changed to a 'traveling' in and out where there are no semi-circles - it's just tension pulling your partner, then a step back while twisting and compression sending them back so you have both swapped places.

I think that a "first move-follow" (or mambo-steps) should be added to give a better grounding in the "ballroom" hold.

I think that footwork should remain exactly how it is: guidelines about turning and spinning with footnotes {:rolleyes:}. Dancers told where they should move to, not how they should move.

I think that the comb should be another move with alternatives taught (like this damn hand on elbow and 'birdie song' walks could be both partners placing left hands on the other's hip.)

Away from beginners, I am all for a more 'technical' sub-class... perhaps the first 5/10 mins of the intermediate teaching some more technical or style based stuff, then the actual class giving moves that the stuff can be slotted into. Maybe this could be going on during the last few tracks of the first freestyle?

tsh
26th-January-2006, 01:12 PM

Follow the teacher, with one proviso. If the teacher is wrong, and doesn't provide the correct emphasis, I will lead the move as I believe it should be led.

Two examples.
Catapult. This is almost always taught as 'left hand over right', then 'yank the lady in next to you'. A better way to describe this is first lead the lady forward, then turn her as she is stepping forward.

Any move with a turn, some teachers insist in embelishing their hand movement in a beginners class. Fine for freestyle, but not in a class. The class (unless it is adressing styling) should primarily focus on clean execution of the move. Without some underlying technique, the styling is unlikely to be too successful anyway.

Sean

TheTramp
26th-January-2006, 01:19 PM
Two examples.
Catapult. This is almost always taught as 'left hand over right', then 'yank the lady in next to you'. A better way to describe this is first lead the lady forward, then turn her as she is stepping forward.

I'm confused. Did you mean the Basket?

Trousers
26th-January-2006, 01:38 PM
Ducasi just how difficullt a concept is it to transfer :-

Men or Lead
Guys as you dance be aware that you move your partner around the floor. Be aware of the other dancers around you at all times.

If you do not have a safe/empty zone to send your partner into - Don't send her.

If you send your partner somewhere and then someone else moves into it as well then immediately try and indicate possible danger with a stiff arm or a squeeze of the hand (whatever you can do to indicate danger).

If the floor is crowded dance smaller less flamboyant moves.

When possible, warn other dancers of possible contact by raising your free arm (if you have one) and holding it out to make contact with the other dancer in a controlled manner.

Do not perform dramatic air moves or seducers on partners that you have never danced with before - they may be a beginner.

Do not perform dramatic air moves or seducers on partners on a busy dance floor unless you have in some way prepared the necessary safe space to do so.

If your partner gets trodden on, elbowed or any other collision wound whilst dancing with you - it was your fault. Take it personally and try harder to protect her next time.

Ladies or Follower
Never assume a dip or drop is intended. The lead should be good enough to indicate without doubt that a dip or drop is intended. If in doubt don't!

You as a follower need to watch out behind your leaders back. He cannot see what you can. If they are stepping into danger indicate with a stiff arm or a squeeze of the hand.

Don't walk blindly into any move behind the lead without being aware of the dancers around you. There may be someone the lead has not seen yet who is in the way.

Come on people is all this rocket science?
Am I the only NASA employee dancing in England.

These may not be 'teachable' per se but if you make the dancers aware of things they can, should and must do to protect their partners - they will start to listen.

The feeling you get when you stop a lady getting stomped on and she says thankyou is at least the same as pulling off your best move with her. Both will make her feel like you were in control and that she's danced with an accomplished dancer - She'll probably want seconds later too and thats always a compliment!

Trousers
26th-January-2006, 01:40 PM
oooh rants in pants

TheTramp
26th-January-2006, 02:00 PM
Come on people is all this rocket science?

Sorry. You forgot the two most obvious, but quite often missed things, that really annoy me the most...

1. On a crowded dancefloor, don't stand around talking on the edge. Not only are you taking up some of the dancefloor while doing that, anyone who wants to get past has to walk even further into the dancefloor to get around you*.

2. When walking onto the dancefloor with your partner to start the dance (this especially applies if joining the dancing more than 30 seconds into the song), bloody well watch where you are going. Do not walk onto the dancefloor backwards, while talking to your partner.

* If you do this, and I'm near you, be prepared for me to bump 'accidentally' into you gently, as a hint that when the dancefloor is crowded, it's a bad idea to take up part of it if you're not actually dancing**.

** If you still don't get the message, be prepared for me to bump 'accidentally' into you again, but harder on each subsequent time :rolleyes:

Groovy Dancer
26th-January-2006, 02:09 PM
* If you do this, and I'm near you, be prepared for me to bump 'accidentally' into you gently, as a hint that when the dancefloor is crowded, it's a bad idea to take up part of it if you're not actually dancing**.

** If you still don't get the message, be prepared for me to bump 'accidentally' into you again, but harder on each subsequent time :rolleyes:

But are you ready for any subsequent response to your 'bumps':rolleyes:

TheTramp
26th-January-2006, 02:12 PM
But are you ready for any subsequent response to your 'bumps':rolleyes:
Yes :flower:

Piglet
26th-January-2006, 02:13 PM
When walking onto the dancefloor with your partner to start the dance (this especially applies if joining the dancing more than 30 seconds into the song), bloody well watch where you are going. Do not walk onto the dancefloor backwards, while talking to your partner.
:yeah: or worse - when walking across the dancefloor to get a partner.

One guy did this to me and my (different) partners twice in one night and I was ready to hit him on purpose if he did it again!

Re floorcraft. I got the distinct impression in the early days that it was the lead's responsibility to look after the floorcraft. Now I know better, I've not been crashed as much into others. Although others still have to suffer my "stylish" left arm so I've maybe got a blind spot I need to look into. :rolleyes:

Trousers
26th-January-2006, 02:24 PM
Sorry. You forgot

Din't forget ner-ner.
I was just off on one and picked actual dancing related.

Don't forget the 'I'll cut the corner off and walk across the dance floor with these two pints of sticky blackcurrant cordial (bugger anyone dancing here later)!'

Ahh we share a technique - only i must admit you have size on your side - I therefore will result to the Elbow of Doom as it was described in an earlier thread.

Donna
26th-January-2006, 02:26 PM
** If you still don't get the message, be prepared for me to bump 'accidentally' into you again, but harder on each subsequent time :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

:rofl: :rofl: That's great!

I do find it annoying when people decide to take a short cut by walking through the middle of the dance floor. It's so damn right rude!:yeah:

I was dancing on Tuesday night and it was bad enough it being crammed in the venue without people not watching where they are going. I felt like I didn't get any decent practice at all this week and the competition is just a few weeks away!!!:tears:

TheTramp
26th-January-2006, 02:28 PM
I felt like I didn't get any decent practice at all this week and the competition is just a few weeks away!!!:tears:

I met my partner a couple of times when I was in Australia last summer (and she did demo one class for me). And I'll meet up with her again a week before the Blackpool comp*.

Practice. Don't talk to me about practice!! :mad:

*Although, admittedly, this is about 6 days more practice than I usually have had with any previous partner... :rolleyes:

ducasi
26th-January-2006, 04:01 PM
Ducasi just how difficullt a concept is it to transfer ... Not very, by why ask me? I didn't mention floorcraft. But, I agree it would be useful to teach that stuff...

Though in your mini-tutorial there you mentioned dips and such... Beginners might wonder why you're telling them about these things when they are not even being taught them...

cerocmetro
26th-January-2006, 04:14 PM
Scrub the technique we generally find our own but Floorcraft please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please
Teach Floorcraft.

I know we've done this to death but no-one listens. The only Ceroc teacher I ever heard mention Floorcraft was Steve Nash at Brockham - at the end of his set he said 'it's busy tonight so please dance carefully!' Not a lot but more than you normally get.

Rant Rant Rant

More Floorcraft Please - Health and Safety rules say we are all responsible for everyones safety how come Ceroc-Sorry it's not just Ceroc all MJ venues seem to miss this.

Sorry Metro you asked for it!
But I won't hold my breath. . . . . . .

Ok taken on board, last night I took my first ever beginners review class. :really:

I taught floor craft, i felt just enough not make it boring, I talked about the men watching where they lead the ladies how you can change direction and gave an example. That was probably enough.

LMC was in the class so is probably best qualified to comment on the content.

Reading above there are some great ideas, but we have to remember that we are trying to get new people into dancing and not scare them off with too much info.

Last week I was training the new teachers in Spain. there are some exceptional dancers there. However even they made mistakes moving round let alone taking everything on board so we must always put ourselves in the shoes of the complete beginners masses.

LMC
26th-January-2006, 04:29 PM
You were very entertaining Adam. Teaching the in-and-out - for tension - was very successful and I think this could be done regularly in the main class - I think it's Lorna who does this weekly and recommends it.

It was a tough class - there were a LOT of beginners there (15+ couples incl. taxis). Since there were 4 taxis plus Adam and Tezi, in retrospect, I wish I had asked if we could split the class into "first timers" and those who are nearly-but-just-not-quite ready for intermediates so they could maybe have had some more individual attention - even 4 or 5 week people are ready to take in a bit more than the first-timers.

Ladies not anticipating is always mentioned often, but IMO can never be over-emphasised - after the review class I (and for a wee while one of the other taxis) spent some time saving the marriage of a first-timer couple who were getting into a bit of a "you're doing it all wrong" loop in freestyle. I'll know whether they were happy or not if they come back next week! (I finished up by finding them both other more experienced - and nice - partners for the next dance.)

I agree that you can't throw too much at people. But at the same time, Ceroc is sometimes doing people a great disservice through its emphasis on learning moves and it's implication that technique can be dismissed and "dancing is easy". How many people (guys particularly as it's harder for leads to start with) go away thinking "I've been told it's easy, but I'll never get it, it's obviously just not for me?" Yes, MJ has the highest retention rate of any dance style - but I wonder how much higher it would be if we were a bit more truthful about the real time and effort it takes to become someone that other people really want to dance with.

tsh
26th-January-2006, 04:30 PM
I'm confused. Did you mean the Basket?
Yes :blush:

There goes a perfectly good rant, ruined by lack of atention to detail :tears:

Sean

cerocmetro
26th-January-2006, 04:47 PM
I agree that you can't throw too much at people. But at the same time, Ceroc is sometimes doing people a great disservice through its emphasis on learning moves and it's implication that technique can be dismissed and "dancing is easy". How many people (guys particularly as it's harder for leads to start with) go away thinking "I've been told it's easy, but I'll never get it, it's obviously just not for me?" Yes, MJ has the highest retention rate of any dance style - but I wonder how much higher it would be if we were a bit more truthful about the real time and effort it takes to become someone that other people really want to dance with.

It is for that reaon I demonstrated the just 2 moves are enough. I think it would be great to get a bunch of non dancers on a voluntary basis as an experiment to be a test class and get their feedback. Only a complete novice can give you an honest view point.

I am not too sure about too much truth either, can you imagine, "gosh your rubbish", "you have no chance of ever getting this" etc etc. The truth is that very very very few will become "good dancers". The reality is that Ceroc is not just about making good dancers it is about people have a good night out and if they learn to dance as well then great.

At least that is how I see it. If people do want to learn move then the workshops are the place and should be better structured (i do not include Metro workshops of course they are as good as it could get):whistle:

Adam

LMC
26th-January-2006, 04:59 PM
I am not too sure about too much truth either, can you imagine, "gosh your rubbish", "you have no chance of ever getting this" etc etc. The truth is that very very very few will become "good dancers". The reality is that Ceroc is not just about making good dancers it is about people have a good night out and if they learn to dance as well then great.
I specifically said the truth about the time and effort (i.e. that it takes to be good in general) - not the cold harsh truth about them specifically :eek:

A few will never get it, but I think there is potential for most people to become competent dancers as well as having fun. When I say competent, all I mean is the leads knowing enough moves that they don't get too bored and that everyone knows enough to be able to dance on time to most tracks and without injuring themselves or others.

cerocmetro
26th-January-2006, 05:01 PM
I specifically said the truth about the time and effort (i.e. that it takes to be good in general) - not the cold harsh truth about them specifically :eek:

A few will never get it, but I think there is potential for most people to become competent dancers as well as having fun. When I say competent, all I mean is the leads knowing enough moves that they don't get too bored and that everyone knows enough to be able to dance on time to most tracks and without injuring themselves or others.

One thing i did mention was that the girls will learn faster than the men which hopefully will make them feel that it is normal not to get it straight away. We have to try and keep their enthusiasm going.

ducasi
26th-January-2006, 05:35 PM
... Teaching the in-and-out - for tension - was very successful and I think this could be done regularly in the main class - I think it's Lorna who does this weekly and recommends it. Isn't this done to some extent as part of the "Ceroc Essentials" at the start of every beginners' class?

Also I think every time I've been taught the in-and-out, there's always been mention of tension/compression or lead and follow.

LMC
26th-January-2006, 05:44 PM
Isn't this done to some extent as part of the "Ceroc Essentials" at the start of every beginners' class?
Not in England (not even at Ceroc Metro venues) unfortunately.

All the good things that people are doing unfortunately don't happen at every venue and/or don't happen with any consistency. Perhaps this forum should be required reading for all teachers and taxi dancers? :devil:

Tessalicious
26th-January-2006, 05:58 PM
Not in England (not even at Ceroc Metro venues) unfortunately.

All the good things that people are doing unfortunately don't happen at every venue and/or don't happen with any consistency. Perhaps this forum should be required reading for all teachers and taxi dancers? :devil:Not true - a few, particularly new, teachers in London teach the Ceroc Essentials/warm-up, including the in-and-out (albeit without double hand-hold).

Maybe after the teachers' update weekend, this will become more standard practice?

LMC
26th-January-2006, 06:07 PM
That's still not every venue, and if it's not all teachers, then it's not consistent - sorry!

But you're right, it will be very interesting to see what changes after the update :)

cerocmetro
26th-January-2006, 06:13 PM
spot the people who have never been to a Ceroc teachers update:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Tessalicious
26th-January-2006, 06:24 PM
Apologies for forgetting to take out part of the quote: it was the 'Not in England' that I was disagreeing with, not the inconsistency, which I fully agree is the case - this is unfortunate, although nowhere nearly as pronounced as inconsistencies between venues in any other style of dance.

Of course I've never been to a Ceroc Teachers' update weekend - I'm not a teacher. But judging by those teachers I do know, it will be a very civilised and educational gathering, with much philosophical and technical discussion over nice cups of herbal tea :rolleyes: :whistle:

cerocmetro
26th-January-2006, 06:26 PM
Apologies for forgetting to take out part of the quote: it was the 'Not in England' that I was disagreeing with, not the inconsistency, which I fully agree is the case - this is unfortunate, although nowhere nearly as pronounced as inconsistencies between venues in any other style of dance.

Of course I've never been to a Ceroc Teachers' update weekend - I'm not a teacher. But judging by those teachers I do know, it will be a very civilised and educational gathering, with much philosophical and technical discussion over nice cups of herbal tea :rolleyes: :whistle:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: so you have been to one then:rolleyes:

LMC
26th-January-2006, 06:29 PM
Absolutely agree that Ceroc provides a more consistent model than most (any?) other dance teaching - you pretty much know what you're going to get wherever you go, which makes it nice and easy to go to new places.

:rofl: at description of weekend - sounds exactly like Open University summer schools :whistle:

ChrisA
27th-January-2006, 01:14 AM
Meanwhile, in the real world...

Guys as you dance be aware that you move your partner around the floor. Be aware of the other dancers around you at all times.

Huh?

If you do not have a safe/empty zone to send your partner into - Don't send her.

**** it, like I give a ****, or have the slightest idea how to do that...

If you send your partner somewhere and then someone else moves into it as well then immediately try and indicate possible danger with a stiff arm or a squeeze of the hand (whatever you can do to indicate danger).

I'm too busy being impressed with myself to notice stuff like that...

If the floor is crowded dance smaller less flamboyant moves.

You gotta be kidding, right? What else keeps the other buggers away???

When possible, warn other dancers of possible contact by raising your free arm (if you have one) and holding it out to make contact with the other dancer in a controlled manner.

Yeah, with my elbow, obviously.

Do not perform dramatic air moves or seducers on partners that you have never danced with before - they may be a beginner.
You mean you can do them with people that aren't beginners?

Do not perform dramatic air moves or seducers on partners on a busy dance floor unless you have in some way prepared the necessary safe space to do so.

Yeah right. You're confusing cause and effect, mate. That's how I prepare the space...

If your partner gets trodden on, elbowed or any other collision wound whilst dancing with you - it was your fault. Take it personally and try harder to protect her next time.

Huh? It wasn't my fault, why should I care?

tomboh
27th-January-2006, 02:25 AM
When walking onto the dancefloor with your partner to start the dance (this especially applies if joining the dancing more than 30 seconds into the song), bloody well watch where you are going. Do not walk onto the dancefloor backwards, while talking to your partner.

I used to misunderstand the etiquette. Dancing has its own etiquette, as does everything, and I used to assume everyone should avoid everyone else equally.

It's only through experience that I've noticed I should give up space to those already dancing if I'm not.

Recently, I've found myself following a ridiculous formula. It works. When someone asks me to dance during a song, I first accept. I then look at the dancefloor and ask "Where is there space?" This prompts my partner to move toward that space, usually holding hands.

At this point, an Indiana Jones obstacle-avoidance approach helps. Watch out for the elbows. Beware the couples flying across the floor.

Over-dramatise! Lead your partner through the chaos. Look for the gaps.

I've used this approach on several beginners and got a giggle out of it. But most importantly, I suspect I've reinforced an important point without obnoxiousness: when you walk onto the floor, let others continue dancing.

I wish someone had used this approach on me. Maybe someone did, and I absorbed it without realising. If I had even the slightest idea about teaching, I might tell you why this works.

But I think if you make people happy and comfortable, and lead by example, they learn. Over-exaggeration of important points, provided you don't do it to appear superior, works well.

David Bailey
27th-January-2006, 09:15 AM
:rofl: at description of weekend - sounds exactly like Open University summer schools :whistle:
But probably without quite so much rampant promiscuity and bed-swapping.

Well, we hope. :innocent: